Differin Gel

Filtered by skin type : Oily
 Differin Gel

4.1

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have oily skin prone to clogged pores and pimples. Salicylic acid products and Benzoyl Peroxide didn't work and irritated my skin. This used to be a prescription but is now sold over the counter. I buy it at the drugstore for $13.99. It's a Retinoid product. It takes about 3 months used once a day at bedtime to see dramatic results on a face full of acne. After one month of using...wow! First summer not one pimple and it's curing my clogged pores. Make sure you wear a sunscreen during the day because your skin will be more sensitive in the sun. It gently peels off the dead skin on your face. I've finally found something that really works and it's cheaper in the long run. If you break out, say goodbye to pimples.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I use this product and a benzoyl peroxide 2.5% gel nightly (compare to RX Epiduo). This combination is the only treatment that has cleared my mild-moderate acne without excessively drying out my skin (thus causing more oil and subsequent breakouts). Not only that, but my pores are visibly reduced, tone and texture evened, and any scars have faded/continue to fade.
The small tube lasts approximately one month with regular, nightly use. I would suggest purchasing the large tube -- it's around $30, but there are usually coupons available.
I did experience a mild "purge," but after two months of REGULAR use I saw clear, radiant skin.
Keep in mind that your skin will probably look terrible and may feel painful for a little while, especially if you use this in combination with other acne-treating products. Stick with it! Give it at least eight weeks before giving up. Remember, also, that this is not a spot treatment. It's meant to be used ALL OVER the face (and body if that's an area of concern). You must use this regularly to see the desired results.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

LIFE SAVER! Guys be patient. This does not work its miracle overnight. You just have to be patient. I'm already on my 12/13th week and already seeing results. My face definitely feels and looks smoother (some of my blackheads and clogged pores from using Physiogel Gentle Skin Cleanser are already gone), skin tone evened out and acne scars lightened. But make sure to use a good sunscreen before going out under the sun!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

To start, my skin was extremely oily and I had terrible acne before I started Accutane 3 years ago. Accutane completely fixed that but the effects only lasted until late 2012. My oily skin and acne came back. I would get at least one new pimple every day (usually on my cheeks and chin) and I couldn't get my foundation to look good anymore. My skin was always red and inflamed. It was really awful. 3 months ago I went to the dermatologist who prescribed Differin (0.1% gel). He said that it would take at least 3 months for me to see any effects from it. I applied it and the next morning my skin looked so so much better which really suprised me. My skin was smoother overall and less bumpy looking already. The Differin did cause some flaking, redness, and sensitivity which I stopped experiencing after a few weeks when my skin got used to it. My skin certainly isn't perfect from this gel but it has vastly improved. While it hasn't done anything for my acne scars or large pores yet, it has completely stopped my breakouts and improved my complexion overall. I've gotten very few pimples since I started using it and my skin is a lot smoother. I really wish I had tried this before I started Accutane. I apply the gel about 10-15 minutes after I wash my face and then I wait another 20 minutes or so before I apply my moisturizer (Cerave in the tub).

on 5/5/2012 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I didn't really have bad acne. I initially went to th dermatologist because I had really clogged pored on my nose and a bit of acne on my chin and forehead, but it wasn't really noticeable or that bad. I was given a prescription for this. I use it every other night, just a pea size amount. My skin really cleared. It looks so nice and smooth. The problem is that I feel like it has caused a new problem: oily skin. When I wake up, my face is like an oil slick. It has gotten so bad that I recently spent almost $200 on skin care products just for oily skin. I really am liking the way my skin looks, but I hate the oiliness! My skin was never oily before. It is uncomfortable and makes putting on makeup hard. I'm going to stop using it and see what happens.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i've always suffered acne ): but fortunately my dermatologist came to the rescue :D and i am so glad she did. i don't use this alone. i use clindamycin phosphate topical gel along with it too. ive used clindamycin before. but it didnt work as good with my differin gel. i have to say, the differin gel over the first month made my acne worse. like real bad. i wanted to give up on it already, but my dermatologist mentioned you will get most of your acne out of all three layers of the skin first. i waited patiently, and after three long months, my skin is the best it could ever be (: i just need to treat my scars and oily skin "/ but im just happy my acne is as never as bad as before. i get a pimple here or there, but i am happy with my results. im just about to start high school too. i am so happy i went to my dermatologist. i totally recommend this to anyone with cystic acne.

on 11/14/2009 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I love Differin gel!
Is very effective for acne and blemishes ts.It's worked for me and still continues to work. it didnt really dry me out ,definately recommend this product.
I will try the 0.3% version.

on 9/26/2009 7:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this product after I consulted with my dermatologist.

Wasnt satisfied at all. It takes time for this product to start woorking, I didnt notice that and I continued to use it for three months. In that period I notice that my skin is getting thiner and much more sensitive. If I wanted to pick a pimple, I pressed as gentle as possible but never the less, I would rip a skin on that place. I still have few scars from that. And the second thing, Differin didnt work for my acne either.

So, I would never use it again.
I found Skinoren is better solution.

on 7/3/2009 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The .1 differin gel was a miracle for me, but once I stopped using it I broke out immediately. Nothing severe but enough to rush back to the derm. This time he gave me the .3 and let me tell you....A NIGHTMARE! What a waste of a $50 copay. Good news is my insurance will pay me back. I will try differin again but this time I will have them call me in the .1 gel again. It can really save your skin. Be patient, lightly exfolliate (buff puff), and MOISTURIZE WITH SPF.

.1 gel is the way to go for light to moderate acne.... leave the .3 alone!

on 5/13/2009 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff really does work but it takes a long long time . I am now on week 13 and I am amazed how well it has worked. It's the first time in 12 or so years I can go out without makeup on. I have tried everything including Antibiotics, the Pill, AHA's, B Peroxide, natural remedies, supplements, changed my diet, eaten only apples for 3 days and so on and so on!! Nothing worked really.
Since applying Differin at night before bed for 13 week religiously and now I hardly get any spots and all the under the surface bumps are going. You really have to give this a chance to work, do NOT give up until at least 4 months continuous use.
It also has the added benefit of being an anti ageing product too. Horrah!!!
UPDATE:
After months of using it, it seemed to "Stall" and didn't seem to be doing much. My doctor suggested I layer Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5 with it. I was a little nervous that I would end up like a lizard but literally within a week I had very very clear skin, all those pesky under surface bumps have gone. It does dry skin a little but in the morning I just put Olay fluid on and it's fine.
That's 14 years of HELL finished. YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!