79%

Shop Now

Reviews

from

25 days ago

I have used Tretinoin gel 0.025 in the past but it caused a lot of irritation. In previous studies, they discovered that Adapalene 0.1 percent is as effective as Tretinoin 0.025, but with less irritation, so I gave this a try as I have sensitive skin that is rosacea prone. Ive been using Differin for 4 months and I can confirm that this is definitely causing no irritation at all and has improved my texture tremendously. I was hoping that it would also be effective on some fine lines as well, but so far I haven’t seen any dramatic results as of yet. What I can confirm that it has reduced my hormonal breakouts and it smoothed out my skin texture. I also use The ordinary peeling solution once every 2 weeks (I skip the differin on that day) and using these 2 products made such a difference in my skin. Here is the link to the study in regards to adapalene 0.1 vs Tretinoin 0.025 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11843231/

About reviewer (82 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Curly, Coarse

EyesGreen

a month ago

I have acne prone skin and have been struggling with acne off and on since I was a teen. Now that I'm 40, I'm having to deal with occasional hormonal acne which is a pain to get rid of. I used to use Retin-A cream then switched to gel and both were very effective in clearing up my face and keeping the acne at bay. I then tried Tazorac gel which was a lot stronger but still very effective. Unfortunately, I had to stop using those because they were prescription only and my med insurance stopped covering them for some stupid reason. My dermatologist suggested Differin gel which she said I could pick up OTC. I went to my local drugstore and bought the 0.5oz size for $15.49 which is NOT cheap IMO but it's so worth it. I've been on it for 2 months and it has cleared my skin once again. It also got rid of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (which people call acne scars) in 3 short weeks. My skin is now more even toned and I don't have to wear heavy coverage foundation anymore. I use a very small amount and spot treat on problem areas. I then spread the excess around to other places on my face. It's a bit drying, particularly around my nose and mouth areas but I combat that with moisturizers during the day. As with all acne treatments that is retinoid based, you MUST wear sunscreen with this which I do religiously. My teen daughter who is also breaking out has started to use this and it's also working for her amazingly well. Like I said, it's not exactly cheap but the result is so worth it especially for acne prone people.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Tan, Warm

HairBrunette, Other, Other

1.0

4 months ago

I’m 37 and have been using acne.org’s BP gel for 15 years, with clear skin resulting. Since I’m getting up there in age, I thought Differin might be something to switch to, being it can help with wrinkles/aging skin. I literally picked up a .5 ounce tube of this for $13, and started using it my first night only at night like instructed (and stopped my BP). I tried this for three nights and stopped because 1) i noticed my skin getting oily throughout the day, and 2) i didnt like how it was making my skin feel (slimy/greasy/grimey), and 3) cost per use is not worth it. Even though this is a gel, its not very viscous, so when they instruct to apply a pea size amount to your whole face for a thin layer, I assumed they were joking. A pea size wouldnt even smear evenly to cover my forehead. I wasnt going in heavy handed either, being I’ve used a gel BP for 15 years and I know how a little goes a long way. This stuff wasnt near as viscous as my BP, in order to spread it like they say you should. I ended up having to use much more than a pea size amount total, and ended up applying dabs all over like a thin primer. Which meant I was needing more product— and for $17 an ounce, thats expensive! My BP is a mere $2.31 an ounce. Get real! I also noticed it got sticky/tacky the minute i applied it, which I disliked, but after it dried, it was gone, only to return hours later by making me oily. Again, I literally had clear skin when deciding to trying this, and now after just 3 nights, my skin feels like its having to start all over again, like my skin barrier has been completely messed up. I’m breaking out with whiteheads, my face gets extremely grimey and oily fast (no matter how much moisturizer I use) — and Im not even using the product! I’m breaking out from the items I was just using before I started Differin — they have never broke me out for years. Its like my skin is having to completely readjust to BP. The first 2 days back on my BP I had horrible skin burns from switching, all around my eyes. Being that Differin works similar to AHA’s, they both promote cell turnover and exfoliation, its like my skin has completely been resurfaced and its having to react to everything all over. Its upsetting, to say the least. Im hoping after a week back to my regular skin routine (that ive been doing for 15 years) it will rebalance everything, but the breakouts like this and the oily imbalance is crazy. I was clear until I tried this product. I should have known, since AHA’s break me out as well and make me oily just like this product. Ugh! I’d avoid this like the plague and stick with 2.5% BP gel. Cheaper and just as effective and doesnt mess with your entire skin barrier. Ugh. Never again. I havent had whiteheads/breakouts like this in months except for an allergic reaction or something comedogenic.

About reviewer (426 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

9 months ago

Differin has worked really well for me so far. I used Tazorac .1% gel for 11 years, through my late twenties and thirties, and it helped with my hormonal acne as well as anti-aging. It became too expensive for me to continue however, as I turned 35 and was no longer able to get it covered as a primarily anti-acne treatment. For about a year I decided to stop all retinoids and see how my skin would react, but I eventually started breaking out again in stubborn acne on my chin, jawline and neck. It wasn’t terrible, but every month I would get one or two deep seated spots which would take weeks to resolve. Additionally, I noticed my skin was looking overall less fresh and plump. I finally resolved to try Differin as an affordable, over the counter solution and by week 5 I have noticed a dramatic difference in brightening, tightening, and overall tone. Even though adapalene has not been studied extensively for anti-aging I have so far been impressed with the results. My skin is smoother and tighter. Additionally, by week 5 breakouts have subsided, though not entirely gone away yet. I am writing this review primarily because I am so impressed with how Differin has improved my skin’s overall appearance and tone in 5 weeks. I hope that I will see continued improvement in clarity and reduction in breakouts. I use Differin .1% gel at night (all over my face and neck including around my eyes), mixed with LifeLink Metazene gel. In the morning, I also use Finacea gel all over my face as an anti-acne preventative, followed by sunscreen. UPDATE: After about 3 months, I started alternating A-Ret 1% gel with this and it's still working well. My breakouts are reduced but I still get some stubborn hormonal spots on my jawline and neck now and then. Updated routine on my notepad. Updating again after 6 months in case this is helpful for anyone else struggling with stubborn hormonal acne. I'm still using Differin 6 months later, alternating with A-Ret .1%, but though these help the overall condition of my skin they haven't cleared the monthly jawline and neck breakouts completely. So I've started doing short contact therapy with benzoyl peroxide in the morning, just for 3-5 minutes before washing off, and it seems to be working well in conjunction with Differin and tret.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone

HairBrown

EyesGreen

9 months ago

Best ache cream I have ever had. Particularly for body ache.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

Age

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

9 months ago

This is blowing my mind. My cheeks used to be where I put on alot of concealer because it's where I had identations and dark marks. I used Differin because I was having acne mostly on my chin but decided to follow it and put it alll over my face. After a week of use, my cheeks were lighter and the tone is better. The indentations have seemed to lessened like almost non existent. While for the chin acne, Im very pleased as well because It actually is clear now. First time I don't have a painful bump on my chin today. I have used alot of acids and peels to control my acne before but every time another painful bump will pop up on my chin but after using Differin, I haven't felt any painful itchy bump anymore. Whiteheads no longer appear too. The scars and hyperpigmentations have been diminished. Tips for it to work, I think less is more. Just use an oil free facial cleanser and moisturizer with spf. I use clean n clear oil free facial wash and cerave's am moisturizer. I don't put moisturizer at night. My skin can tolerate it. And I guess it works. Thanks Differin.!

About reviewer (60 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

9 months ago

If you suffer from hormonal acne, try this if nothing has worked before going to the big guns. Based on what I’ve researched from infinite resources most acne is hormonal but I’m no scientist so I’ll refrain from stating that as canon. I’m a hound when it comes to information, I like to see both and all sides and the whole shebang before I try or give an opinion. After growing frustrated with what I was realizing was a persistent case of acne on my jaw and the resulting hyperpigmentation from their healing, I decided to try this. I considered just going straight to tretinoin from alldaychemist but I believe in a progressive way to testing things. I had started with all sorts of OTC retinol before getting this with the goal of advancing to a low grade tretinoin and sticking with it for years until slowly upgrading to the mid level and stopping there. This method has helped me immensely and so has this product. I started using it in January of this year, had a small purge the second week of using it and it was gone within two weeks. Since that little purge I haven’t gotten a single pimple during my periods. Not one. I’ve been using a pea sized amount 3x a week every week for the last four months. Or three? I think three. My forehead wrinkles have also been greatly reduced. So have my laugh lines and trust me I had very pronounced ones. My teeth are my best feature and I’m a goofball so I laugh often. That results in my having some very pronounced nasolabial folds that make my cheeks look like chipmunk cheeks since I still have a full baby fat face. They’re nearly gone. Differin isn’t supposed to be as potent for wrinkles and scars like the original tretinoin, but you could’ve fooled me. Maybe not dramatic or too deep wrinkles perhaps or maybe I’m an anomaly. Now I just look like a chubby cheeked human with baby butt skin. To me baby butt skin is the definition of perfect skin and this thing gave it to me. Mind you I still have slight “freckles” but they’re more like small raised moles, called “dermatosis papulosa nigra”. They’re indeed a hybrid of moles and freckles and quite common in people with a black or African ancestor that had them. Not all black folks, mixed or nay, have them much like not all Asians have slick straight hair. However they too have been minimized to a nearly invisible degree. Now they look like tiny freckles as opposed to slightly larger rounded dots. I’m still not done with my first tube mind you. I bought the big one. But once I finish it I will proceed to the tretinoin. All I have to say is that despite its stance as a deviation of retinols, it is potent and a very well crafted product. It gets it done and it does FAST. You just have to brave that purge. I can understand why some many people would be horrified by it, since I hated when I’d get my monthly attack of pimples and though they would heal fast I loathed the spots. I grew up having the most clear, well mannered skin until I started experimenting with makeup and having bad lifestyle habits. To me it was like falling into an ocean of ice cold water when my periods brought acne on with a vengeance. However I decided to own up to it and fix it and let me tell you, this fixed it. I use this and the sunscreen frequently. Mind you my nose blackheads refuse to go away but they have minimized to the point that even I with my 20/05 vision (what my doctor calls eagle eye vision) can barely see them from even up close. And before I could see them from afar. Highly recommend as an acne treatment AND as a transition to the higher levels of retinol. Do be prepared with hydrating gels and creams because it can dry your skin or make it flake sometimes.

About reviewer (198 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Medium Brown, Neutral

HairBrown, Kinky, Coarse

10 months ago

My derm originally prescribed me a topical with combined tretinoin and clindamycin. However, my insurance wouldn’t cover it so she gave me the alternative of buying Differin and using it in conjunction with prescription clindamycin. I had always been nervous to try Differin because of all the horror stories about purging. I also have extremely sensitive skin. But I was really fed up with closed comedones and moderate acne as an adult, so I decided to try it. Also, the clindamycin is supposed to prevent purging from bacteria. I have been using Differin every night since mid-January. I didn’t experience ANY purging. I kept waiting for it to come, but my skin just kept getting clearer. Now after about 2.5 months my skin has never been so good. My texture has drastically improved and I rarely get pimples anymore. If I do it’s because I was slacking on my routine, but they’re always small and go away after a day or two. It’s so nice to wake up and not having to worry about the state of my skin. It’s now incredibly smooth, much more even in tone, and really soft. I’ve read that you don’t have to wait to use Differin after washing your face, but I find that waiting at least 15-20 minutes makes a big difference in effectiveness. I make sure to wash my face early so it has plenty of time to dry before using Differin. I also wait about 15 minutes afterwards to use any other products. After applying Differin I use Trader Joe’s hyaluronic acid serum and squalane oil. I have noticed my skin has become oilier since starting Differin, so I don’t use heavy moisturizers. I’m also on the search for a more matte foundation, since the one I have been using is meant for dry skin. In short, this product has single-handedly been the most effective treatment for acne and closed comedones. I’m so happy with my skin now and expect to keep using Differin indefinitely. If you’re worried about purging, you might want to see if you can get an rx for clindamycin. I seriously can’t recommend Differin enough.

About reviewer (12 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

10 months ago

I've been meaning to review Differin for quite a while now.  I recently realized that Proactiv Md also had an adapalene acne treatment gel available, so I thought I would try that one out and compare the Differin to the Proactiv MD.  I've been using Differin as a breakout preventative for two years (once it became available without a prescription).  I was a little surprised to learn that the Differin and Proactiv MD products were literally identical.  Well, except for the price, Proactive costs $6 more.  Both Differin and Proactiv are owned by the same parent company and made in the same warehouse in Canada.  So, save yourself $6 and purchase the Differin.  BUT if you are new to retinoid products (vitamin a, retinol, Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, retin-a, tretinotin) PLEASE start out slow!!!  I can't urge this enough.  Use Differin one night, skip two nights, then use it again.  Do this for the first two weeks and then begin skipping one night and work up to daily use.  Also, skip using AHA or BHA's until you've gotten your skin adjusted to Differin. I love that Differin/ Proactiv MD's adapalene is fragrance free and contains no denatured or dry alcohols.  I'm not very excited that it does contain a paraben, but since I try to limit them in my other skin care products I give it a pass.  The gel absorbs quickly and fit into my skincare routine very easily.    My video review can be seen here: <object onclick="ga('send', {hitType: 'event',eventCategory: 'Ajax Interaction',eventAction: 'PlayVideo',eventLabel: ''});" width="360" height="320"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/QDi4gqqRuEY"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/QDi4gqqRuEY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="360" height="320"></object> Differin/ Proactiv MD Full Ingredient List:  Active ingredient: Adapalene 0.1% (retinoid) Inactive ingredients: carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

About reviewer (702 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

a year ago

PSA!!! a motto for this product is if you don’t have the will you won’t get your way! background context (bc this is always so useful to me when i’m trying to compare how products will work with my skin so I got you girl): I am 22 almost 23, I’ve dealt with hormonal, genetic, severe acne for 11 years!! I have combination to oily oily skin. As I have gotten older it has become less aggressive but still very consistent in my EVERYDAY life (I always expected to wake up and have a pimple - sad but true) acne areas: mainly cheeks, chin, occasional forehead, and upper lip review: the key to this product is patience!! I have been using Differin for about 3 months now and let me just say.. I’ve never given a review on a product ever and this is my first time bc I believe in this. I was at a breaking point like I have been many times before.. I have never been to a dermatologist so I decided to give an over the counter product one more try before I took that step and I’m glad I did bc the dermatologist is expensive and I’m on a college budget. This is not to discourage anyone but the purge is real and it is heartbreaking. My skin has consistently had bumps but nothing like it did when it purged.. I cried and I got over it bc I was determined to have clear skin and like they always say “it gets bad before it gets worse” and it’s true. My face blew up (yes I know everyone doesn’t “purge” but mine was very severe) and it was devastating. I did read about purging so I would know what to expect but my skin PURGED like I didn’t know it could. BRIGHT SIDE: After the purge which lasted 2 to 2 1/2 weeks my skin started to clear up slowly. I saw a turn so I continued NIGHTLY to put a pea size on after moisturizer (it helps it spread more easily) then put more moisturizer on after it had dried completely. This is a very drying treatment so if you have dry skin make sure you moisturize!! My skin did get a little flaky so exfoliate gently every other day. As I have continued with Differin my skin has done a 180!! the majority of my face is clear - haven’t seen it like this since birth lol. I still have texture and acne scars that I have to work on but as for acne this product has cleared my skin, except for a few little spots here and there - but still a major improvement! I can gladly say for the first time in 11 years I am on the track to permanently clear skin. Last note: I always thought putting sunscreen on would make my skin more oily and disgusting but it is necessary for the moisture this product takes out of your skin. I put the neutrogena face lotion (sunscreen) with SPF of 70 in the morning before makeup and it doesn’t break out my face. Also! do not use any other acne treatment with this including the small amount of salicylic acid that’s in your face wash (it cancels out the Adapalene in this product which is the retinoid that causes it to be successful). I hope this was helpful for anyone who needs some hope in their fight with acne. xoxo J

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age