Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive age: 19-24
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

on 12/14/2017 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

I used this product for 10 months. It had no effect on breakouts or blackheads (however, I don't suffer from severe symptoms; I'm just chasing that unicorn of "perfect" skin). Differin did give me an "orange peel" texture on my forehead and cheek area, which still hasn't completely gone away. I will not purchase simply because it was an extra step in my routine that did nothing beneficial for me, unfortunately.

on 8/15/2010 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After a few years of pubescent acne, I decided I finally wanted to clear it up. My dermatologist had previously prescribed rx Retin-A (0.04 concentration) and my skin just never got used to it. It shrunk my pores (fantastic at that) but it didn't help at all with acne and rather made my skin more dry and ended up somehow causing more of those small subsurface nodules that never came to a head and just stayed there. My dermatologist told me that it would take at least 6 weeks to see results and that I would go through an initial 'purging' period in which all of the gunk underneath my skin was brought to surface. He said afterwards, however, my skin would be luminous, clear, and retin-a would give me the handy side-effect of preventing any wrinkles in the future (way too young to be worrying about that at 18). I tried my best to stay on it- I would gladly dish out the money to start a prescription routine that would help me keep my skin fabulous for the rest of my life. Like I said, my skin hated it. I had to use a heavy cream at night. If I didn't put a very moisturizing layer on before the retin-a (only a tiny pea sized amount for my face and neck) my skin would peel and be pink. I also swim and run competitively and the retin-a made my skin very sensitive to heat, sweat, and chlorinated water. Once I stopped the prescription, my skin slowly got back to normal and my acne was somewhat reduced. I decided to give my skin a nice long break before I tried another prescription treatment. I had a year long break until I had a dermatologist appointment again about two weeks ago. He knew that I would follow a regimen carefully and was aware that I would do whatever I needed to get my nice preteen skin back. He told me we were going to go 'all out', meaning a super-lowe dose minocycline oral antibiotic, topical clindamycin gel during the day, and differin 0.3 every other night. I have found that the differin barely irritates my skin at all (very strange) and my skin has gradually gotten much better. I had some redness and a few pimples and it has all receded into milky clear skin. All comedones are gone.
This cost about $40 and I have a great insurance policy so I don't know how much some people would pay. I would tell everyone to give it a try- and go ahead and get the 0.3.

on 2/21/2009 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My doctor switched me from Differin's cream to the gel about a month or so ago as I wasn't seeing as good of results with the cream as I would have liked to. I was still breaking out on and off, though not quite as bad as I would have without the treatment. There was some worry that my ultra-sensitive skin wouldn't tolerate the gel. There was quite a bit of peeling initially (for the first week and a half or so, like my skin did after being put on the cream for the first time) but now it actually doesn't seem to be bothering my skin at all. I guess that initial shed is important and then once your skin gets in rhythm with it, it keeps the skin cells sloughed off so that your skin actually remains pretty smooth. I really thought the gel would be really drying because I was on Stievamycin gel for a long time and that made my skin flakey and raw like you wouldn't believe. But this isn't the same alcohol-like type of gel as the Stievamycin was. It's actually quite thick and I don't get that cooling or burning sensation like there's a lot of alcohol in it. It probably is somewhat drying but as long as I put moisturizer on it overnight, I haven't been noticing any really significant dry patches. At least, no more than I normally would around this time of year due to the cold, dry weather. As for how my skin's behaving on it, I've been quite impressed. I've had 2 blemishes over the past month whereas I'd normally have a breakout of between 5-10 with the cream. And the blemishes I did get were very short-lived. I don't want to jump to conclusions and give my hopes up yet, but things have been going pretty good so far.
Update 08/30/2010: My skin has continued to do better and better on this gel! I haven't found it has dried or irritated my skin at all (the peeling was only initially as my skin was kind of purging/adjusting/renewing) and it's clearer than it's been in years. I don't even worry about my skin anymore. Blemishes are rare for me now (maybe one a month, if that) and very small and mild when they do occur (a little dot of foundation or concealer over it if I'm going somewhere important, but otherwise I just use light coverage powder now for texture, and that's plenty enough for coverage). My skin's now also really soft and smooth, which was never the case on other topical treatments. My skin used to be what I'd consider worse than average, but now I'd say it's definitely better! People even compliment me on how nice my skin is now. Love this gel! For you fellow Canadians without additional insurance, this prescription isn't normally covered under Pharmacare and runs for about $80/tube (though a tube lasts for months), but the good news is that you can ask your doctor to apply for special coverage for it!

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I've been using the 0.1 gel for 5 months and my skin looks great! I wasn't sure about it the first 2 months, but it definently works when you give it time.

ETA: I had to bump the strength up to .3%

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Skintype: DSPW
I used Differin mostly for anti-age. Although I use Taz all over my face, my nose doesn't seem to like it. So I thought as Differin is milder, might give it a try. The first few days I noticed improvement: less blackheads, clearer skin, even colour. But later on my nose seem to look more red than usual. So I stopped. I give it 3 lippes because overall this was a good product but it just didn't seem to suit me.