beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

on 7/11/2017 3:38:00 PM

Flat sponges are better and cheaper. The beauty blender absorbs too much product and the results are not worthy of the praise I've been hearing about. You are better off using a flat sponge, shiseido foundation brush or your fingers. This silly cheapo sponge is ridiculous. It is worth $2 at most. It's funny how all the people who gave BB 5 lippies describe their method of application in such a way that it sounds exhausting as well as inconvenient. C'mon. People are trying too hard to make this silly thing work. The company is really having a good laugh.

I hate to be the negetive one but for the very few of you ladies who gave this product a bad review- yes you were right! I am shocked that at this very moment only 11% of us said we would not buy this again because in all honesty this product did NOT deliver.I immediatly ordered 2 of these kits being that it was proclaimed a "holy grail" product and i am so angry- total waste of money!
First off, i want to say i have read every single review on this board as well as about 100 posts on qvc about this product and even watched the tutorial many times. I have been a makeup artist for over 10 years so i consider myself to be an expert at make-up application. This sponge is a useless tool. Brushes are better, more sanitary and much cheaper.
I literally used 4 times more product because this sponge just sucked up and absorbed all of the concealer/foundation yet still leaving me with sheer coverage. Yes i used it wet and stippled by the way. With my concealer brush and just a tiny amount of concealer i am able to conceal ALL of my imperfections and dark circles. With beautyblender so much product was wasted and not enough coverage. I also tried this with cream blushes and it was horrible. I lightly dabbed the cream blush on and right away all the makeup i had underneth came off and i got uneven blotchy blush application. The ONLY thing this works well for is highlighters. I took the advice of someone who in their review of this product mentioned she used pigments with it and that it was amazing (or a word similar to amazing lol). Well while i wouldnt say it was amazing it was still beautiful. I dabbed the pigment on- it was actually a becca product similar to mac pigments. It was a light goldish highlighting color and the dampened sponge really did make a world of a difference. Only problem- i had to use a TON of product- this time about 10 times more lol. The effect was pretty but i cannot see myself spending $44 on one kit for just a highlighting tool- not to mention the amount of product i would waste (being that these becca products are expensive and they are the only powders i use).
Last i want to stress the most important concern that i have which i am shocked no one here has mentioned.....BACTERIA!!!! I wash this everytime of course but my problem is this: dipping a damp/wet sponge into my pots and jars of cream blushes will eventually cause contamination and breaking down of the product. Cream blushes such as nars, bobbi brown, etc are not meant for wet sponges to be dipped into them and this moisture/water in my opinion will change the product. I would have appreciated a tool that could work dry because i don't want to ruin my expensive blushes by contamintating them.
Packaging is horrible and highly unintelligent. I watched the tutorial where they showed you "how to remove it" which alone states how ridiculious this is. The sponge is housed in a cacoon of very sharp plastic points that looks like it is nestled in a claw. I followed the directions and pushed it from down under so that it would'nt tear but i still had tears in all 4 of my sponges due to the sharp plastic points that were jabbed into it while packaged. Why make a product that a) will tear very easilly due to it being housed in sharp hard plastic and b) needs a tutorial to watch on how to remove it. Talk about issues. If the creators were smart they would have invented something packaged nicely yet non-damaging.
I really think this is a novelty item that is all hype and if anything just makes you feel good to be part of this trend. I am not trying to insult anyone who praises this because in all honesty- i wanted to be part of this trend too lol. I just need something that gives me coverage without wasting product and as far as i am concerned this is equivilent to all the other cheap dollar store sponges out there only it's pink and pretty!

on 2/27/2018 10:46:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

If you love the flawless finish a sponge gives, yes this is a good one. I am giving it 2 lippies because the price is ridiculous and they are hit or miss, some hold up better than others, even though I wash them all the same way. Also because there are others that are much cheaper that work just as well if not better.
I use a sponge about 95% of the time. I don't need super heavy coverage and I like the natural look I get with the sponges. Others that I use that I like just as well that are comparable are Real Techniques Miracle Sponge, Flower Beauty 3 in 1, & L'Oreal Infallible Blend Artist. I also love the PUR sponges but they aren't as soft as Beauty Blender and the other 3, but I like the finish they give my foundations and they clean really easy.

I don't find they soak up a lot of foundation unless you don't dry them out enough. I dampen then squeeze with a towel.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I had this for awhile and I liked it, dont get me wrong but mine started to tear shortly after purchasing it. It lasted me for a month or two but then I couldnt justify spending the money on another one. So now I buy the knock offs they sell at TJMaxx and they work just as well. I admit that a beauty sponge is a MUST for every girl who loves to paint her face but not for the price tag if its going to break.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I couldn't stand this product after using it three times. I didn't like how the foundation just sat in the sponge - it just didn't look sanitary to me and I don't have time to wash it every time and wait for it to dry. Not to mention, the pink dye just kept running off whenever I washed it and that's something I don't want transferring onto my face. The application didn't amaze me either - I was so disappointed.

I've tried other beauty sponges before and my favourite one only cost me $5, so for $26, I expected more. Buying quality brushes I think is the way to go and will probably last longer. I won't be repurchasing it because there are better cosmetic applicators.

just goes to show you how even a pro makeup artist like myself can be duped. i bought a twin pack, thinking because of the rave reviews i would be onto a winner. i mean, why waste money on just one when sooo many people love it?

its just a sponge, and not a very fine one at that, compared to the 'latex' type wedges. if you inspect the application in a MAGNIFYING mirror (a girls BFF) and not simply your regular mirror, you should be able to see teeny specks of pink all over your face. not only that, the finished result really isnt that great, i had to go over it with a latex wedge to get the result i need

this guests worse with every use/wash. and i think the dispensing method could be a lot simpler for the wash fluid. whats with the little dish thing, when a spout would do?

and then theres the colour loss, despite following cleansing instructions carefully and to the letter

and its laborious to use, bouncing up and down on your face

and the narrow end really isnt that narrow for 'getting into tight spots', especially when its damp. its general too big all round

so, im sticking to my foundation brushes for apply, and wedge sponges for finishing

its not even a nice pink colour, and it discolours al most immediate

and they want £100+ for a pro-pack of disposables? get outta here

so, the 2nd sponge sits as yet unused...

beauty? no. blender? no. no it my pro kit, and not in my own makeup kit

EDIT, a quick glance over the reviews tells me that pro artists are the ones who dont rate this. not just here, elsewhere on the net. says it all really

on 11/20/2007 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I hate to ruin the great reviews, but I was just not a fan of this hot-pink egg. I find the shape awkward and the price just ridiculous for what you get. Though the sponge itself is nice and dense, I think Bobbi Brown wedges are of the same quality and you get an eight-pack for $5.50.

Part of my dislike is the clean freak in me, as you need to wash this sponge after each use or it sits there looking disgusting and breeding who-knows-what germs. It also takes a long time to rinse, in my experience. That being said, I absolutely love the Beautyblender cleanser to use with regular brushes. It give a nice deep clean and rinses well.

I gave it two lippies because the sponge does do it's job. But bottom line, the Beautyblender is *just* a sponge! The Web site instructs you to use a stippling technique, and you can do that with any wedge or foundation brush to get that airbrushed look. I just swapped it away and will stick to using BB wedges or the Mac 187 for applying foundation. continued >>

on 11/6/2006 1:08:00 PM

I found the Beautyblender sponge to be too small to handle very well. The company was difficult when I tried to contact them for a refund. They stated they were sorry I was disspointed with their product but could not issue me a refund.

I would try and check the product out thoroughly before I spent the money since it's NON-RETURNABLE.

I wear double wear foundation and usually apply with a brush but decided to try the beatyblendee I got the original pink one and followed the instruction of wetting it wringing it and using it and yes my foundation was nice but it definitely didn't give as much coverage and I was using more foundation than I normally do. It is also quite time consuming to put on. I also noticed that it wasn't staying in place as well as it normally did when I was using a brush. So after about 2 weeks of using it one morning I thought I'd revert back to my brush and decide which I prefer and the brush has won hands down I had good even heavy coverage that stayed in place all day was quicker to use and only used half the amount of the beauty blender. So it's back to my £6.00 foundation brush for me. It may work for you if you prefer a lighter more dewy look but if double wear is your HG then you probably prefer a heavier look so the beauty blender probably isn't for you.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a great sponge - no debate there. However, I didn't need this in my life. It's difficult to clean but I don't really mind. But what I do mind is that it's just so gosh darn expensive! And It only truly works on FULL COVERAGE foundations. Anything from light to medium coverage, the BB sheers it out way too much like and I find that it absorbs the majority of the product. I only find this useful on foundations that I know will make me look cakey because it will sheer it out to a more flawless coverage but I don't wear full coverage foundations too often. I do highly recommend it for under eye concealing though. Bottom line - if you enjoy full coverage foundation like MAC Studio Fix, Kat Von D, Estée Lauder DW, CG 3-n-1, etc this is for you but if you're more like me and prefer medium coverage (MUFE HD, YSL Touché Éclat, BB creams) you might want to skip. Because I find myself almost never reaching for this sponge, I wish I got the RT sponge instead -_-

Popular Misc Beauty Tools