beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

Although I rate this 5/5 and will repurchase, I do not think it is worth the price or the hype. Nor is it life changing. I have used knock offs that gave me an identical finish for 1/4 of the price. This is 5/5 because I do not change ratings based on price as I hate how that makes mediocre cheap products appear better than higher quality expensive ones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BB is worth it if:

You have dry skin and nothing else makes foundation look natural
You will be storing it somewhere dry (i.e. not in your bathroom/in a humid country)
You are careful with your nails
Your cat can't reach it

If any of the above don't apply to you then you can get away with cheaper alternatives.

To use, saturate the BB with water (while squeezing, so it's all the way through) and then squeeze dry using a towel. You can use it to apply allegedly anything, but I only use it for setting powder and foundation. Apply the foundation to your face in streaks, and then bounce the BB on it to blend it out. If you take too long, the foundation can semi dry and appear streaky or your BB will remove part of it so it is best to work in sections. The more water in the sponge, the less foundation it will absorb and the sheerer the application.

If you have troubles with foundation staining it, WAIT UNTIL THE SPONGE IS DRY TO WASH IT. You don't need to spend money on Dr Bronners, BB Cleanser or Daiso if you just wait until its dry. Even normal soap will remove the dreaded Revlon Colorstay stain. Most people wash it immediately after using it, which is probably why the stains remain for them.

Be gentle with the sponge - be cautious of your nails, do not wring it, do not saturate it in oil every day and then complain about it ripping apart six weeks later like I know of one girl who did, and do not leave it in a humid area because it is easy for mold to form inside the sponge. I have been storing mine in my bedroom in NZ, washing/soaping it 5+ times a week for four months, and mine is still in near perfect condition excluding a few micro tears and slight fading.

I recommend against buying the Bling Ring edition because as I discovered the hard way, many of your house guests will eye it and think you're into some hardcore butt plugs. It doesn't help that I store mine on the bookshelf next to my bed. Also the tiny stand looks and feels very cheap and is extremely overpriced. But yeah I'm mostly annoyed at having to always hide the thing when friends come round because none of mine are into make up.

How it compares to alternatives:

I will be using NZ RRP pricing and I have dry/combination skin.

The BB is $34, and the best overall foundation applicator I have ever used. It gives me a very natural finish and has so far not suffered any major damage as I've been careful with it. I find it sheers out concealer too much so you have to be very careful when applying it. It is by far the softest, resilient, quickest drying and most absorbent sponge. The sponge material itself is patented and unique to BB so you cannot find a true knock off. The pink one is the only make up sponge I've used that had dye run. I use less foundation using this.

The Real Techniques Miracle Sponge (RT) is $20 and a better shape as the flat side covers more area. However the application was cakey and it took so long to blend that my arm actually became tired from it. It is superior to the BB in terms of price and concealer application. I guess I can't say the shape is that great though if it takes me so long to blend it out. It is slightly more rubbery but still resilient. I have only used it twice so I can't speak for its longevity. I do not like it and will not repurchase.

Manicare (can't find the sponge name, but it was pink and shaped like the RT) was $8 and very rubbery. Took about a day and a half to dry. Gave me the exact same finish as the BB but it tore after only four uses. Not very resilient, it deformed into a scrunched up twisted shape. I liked it but the fragility means I will not repurchase it.

I have some $2 "beauty blenders" arriving from RoseWholesale soon so I'll update my review when I try them.

Brushes - I've used many beginner ones, the best of which were the Real Techniques core set. They all applied streakily, clung to dry patches and wasted a lot of foundation. They are annoying to clean.

Fingers - the warmth from ones hands can be good for spreading some foundation forumlas, but none that I used. It applied too thick, clung to dry patches, and used too much foundation (more than a sponge, less than a brush).

I'll keep an ear out for an alternative BB, but if I can't find a good one then I will repurchase one when I need to replace it. I want to mention that all of the different BB colours are made of the exact same type of patented sponge material so there is no official difference between any of them, BUT I have heard from people I trust that they have experienced different sponge density from the different colours so they were wondering if the dye affects the sponge. I think that's an interesting and plausible theory considering only the pink dye runs, and how fragile and porous the fabric is. These people are very experienced in make up and know what they're talking about so I highly doubt they fell prey to believing what they want to believe as others have rudely accused them of. I will look into repurchasing a different colour from my pink one and report back but that won't be for months.

on 11/30/2016 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Let me say that this is a really great makeup sponge. It applies my liquid foundations evenly and flawlessly such that my pores don't look as big as usual.

All girls with big pores need a sponge like this. I say a sponge like this, and not this sponge, because the Real Techniques sponge can do a very similar job for a fraction of the price.

How does this sponge compare to the RT? I think the BB gives a very marginally better finish with the super slippy liquid foundations like water based ones (My reference is Kanebo Lunasol Modeling Liquid Foundation, still my HG after 9 years). The BB also eats slightly less product. However, the RT sponge trumps the BB in terms of shape and price. The BB is $30 where I'm from, and the RT is only $8! Also, I much prefer the shape of this sponge as it enables me to get into all the little nooks of my face and under the eyes. For the BB, you need the micro minis to do that properly. Also, RT performs better with foundations that are creamier in texture. I get a better effect with the RT sponge when I use the Kate Mineral Mask BB cream (which is my other HG product!) than with the BB. On balance, I much prefer the RT and would repurchase this over the BB.

Don't get me wrong. The BB is a FABULOUS sponge. If you can shell out $30 every 2-3 months, then by all means, do, you won't regret getting this. Get the micro mini BBs at the same time too, because under eye and nose cleavage application with this is really trying. But if you want a cost effective option that does 95% the same thing in one product, RT is the sponge for you.

Would I repurchase? This is hard. I would, probably, when it's on sale, but I doubt I would pay full price for this again.

To Read all 806 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/27/2016 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

The beautyblender is the most surprising and impressive beauty purchase I have ever made. It's about $34 here in NZ, so at first I couldn't justify paying so much for a sponge and eyed the Real Techniques sponge. I'm glad I didn't get the RT sponge; the beautyblender has changed the way I wear my foundation. I much prefer it, and since using it I dislike how my foundation/concealer looks after using my old stippling brush. I don't mind cleaning it at all either (bonus points if you use your favourite shampoo to make it smell nice--perfect for next use lol). I'd definitely repurchase.

on 11/27/2016 5:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This sponge is worth the hype. You can use it to apply pretty much anything: foundation, powders, cream bronzer/highlight, etc. This gives your foundation and powder such a natural glow. I have tried the Real Techniques sponge but it does not compare to what this sponge does. I would repurchase and recommend to a friend!

on 11/19/2016 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

If people say they don't like this sponge, they simply aren't using it right..lolol ...you might not like the price, but this sponge is leaps and bounds above ANY cheesy drugstore dupes. You can get a set of 2 @Sams Club for $29. You tube Kandee Johnsons tutorial on exactly how to use it for multiple products, you have to be doing something wrong, you don't just tap tap bounce..you also tap and roll as you go...but there's no way any dupe sponge compares.

on 11/19/2016 7:17:00 PM

Until recently I have used the Pro (black) version of the BB and it is second choice to my Real Techniques sponge because it simply does a better job and is about 100 times easier to clean than the BB. With the pro version you can't see staining nearly as much as the original version and that is my number one complaint about this. No matter what technique I use to clean it nothing removes stains from this thing and I find it soaks up so much more product than the RT sponge as well. Maybe I got a dud but it also developed a tear after the first use which p*ssed me off to no end! Washing it resulted in a crap ton of pink dye rinsing out into my sink - WTF is that all about? No other sponge has done this. Seriously, I don't know what happened here but for the price I can't justify ever investing in another one of these sponges. I don't feel like the finish of my foundation is better using BB than using either the pro version or the RT sponge. And considering I can buy 4 RT sponges for the price of one BB...

I sincerely hope that anyone purchasing this very expensive sponge doesn't have any of the issues I spoke of. I know I am in the minority with my opinion about the original beauty blender and obviously I bought this hoping to have the great experience that many others had, but alas this was not the case. :(

on 11/14/2016 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The best invention ever it transformed my preception of flawless foundation

on 11/14/2016 4:04:00 AM

At first I was hesitant to spend over $20 for a make up sponge that you're meant to throw out after a few months but now I don't question the price tag at all. It can make a full coverage foundation just melt into your skin and you still get the coverage but no 'cake face'. Highly highly recommend spending the money and even though they recommend throwing it out after 3 months, if you wash it regularly and take care of it you can keep it longer.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is an amazing sponge which blends everything so flawlessly, especially foundation and concealer! I love how it can be used with any cream products. Even though it Is quite expensive, I think it justifies the price!

on 11/14/2016 12:43:00 AM

So absolutely amazing. I had my doubts and had used knock off sponges before but this is completely different. It doesn't sheer it out my foundation too much and it just blends makeup like a dream.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools