Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

4.4

Hydrotreated Heavy Naphtha, Dichloroflourooethane, 1-Methoxy-2-Propanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparabenn, N-Butylparaben, Fragrance, D&C Green #6

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This works decently. Gets brushes clean, what more do you want? However, for me, this has a scent that I just can't get used to. The scent to me smells like a shampoo mixed with a car cleaning product, just a very odd scent and very chemical-smelling. But for me, there are brush cleaners (even DIY ones) that work just as well, without the scent. The scent lingers on the brushes for me no matter how much rinsing-rinsing-rinsing I do.

on 4/20/2017 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Fantastic brush cleaner. I don't clean my brushes as often as I should, but this is good to have in the arsenal when I do. When I clean brushes with soap and water, I tend to use some friction. By contrast, this just draws out the oils and dirt; doesn't stress the brush bristles and it eliminated discoloration on some of my lighter colored bristles. For brushes blush sized and smaller, I put two capfuls into a plastic cup (I use the plastic top of an elf pump primer as a cup. I dip the brushes in, take them out and blot with a paper towel. For larger brushes like an elf kabuki, I don't clean as per instructions. Instead I dampen a paper towel with a capful of cleaner, then press the kabuki into the paper towel. The towel immediately discolors into the shade of your make up. It's actually a reminder to me to clean my kabuki more frequently - it may look clean because there is no visible product, but it isn't. If you clean the kabuki this way, it drys even faster. For my big brushes, like Kabuki or foundation, I don't leave them in the solution long, just dip the ends to prevent the brush from soaking up too much.

I don't find that it leaves much residue. I am prone to hives and have milia, but occasional use of this on my brushes isn't problematic. I Also love cinema secrets foundation palettes (for olive skin palette #3 works) and other products. While I am not crazy about the vanilla scent, I can deal with it once in a while. The big bottle lasts me a long time.

UPDATE: i thought to give my brushes a rest and use up some SIMPLE micellar water ( I am one of the few that dislike this brand of micellar intensely). The SIMPLE disintegrated the glue holding the ELF Kabuki together and caused it to smell like musty meadow. Tossing the brush and repurchasing it.

on 8/4/2016 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

OK let's get this out of the way immediately: YES, this cleans your brushes very well and very quick, and dries insanely fast. HOWEVER... This is just so not worth the money. For numerous reasons...

Pros: This is a quick and easy way to clean makeup brushes. And... That's about the only pro here IMO.

Cons: Brushes drink this up like crazy! A 32 oz bottle costs abt/almost $40.00, and trust me you will go through this fast. I am not exaggerating in the slightest - its not an issue for eye brushes but your foundation and powder brushes will soak up a quarter of the bottle, no joke. Another major issue is the smell; I am not sure where all this "it smells like vanilla" is coming from, because it doesn't. It smells straight up like pure alcohol and it takes a long time to dissipate. Issue 3: price, price, price!

Because this product is so darned wasteful the way face brushes eat it up, I would much rather just pick a brush cleaning day where I have nothing major going on the next day, and wash them with the beauty blender cleaner and allow for drying time. Because I can legit go through an entire bottle of this in a month (yeah, I have a LOT of brushes). So for me, this cleanser is just a waste.

on 12/22/2016 9:02:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This brush cleaner is amazing. Easy to use and dries quickly. The only drawback is the smell but I can overlook that because it is very effective. I have to deep clean my brushes less frequently because I use this and it works soo well.

Update 06/2017: This product is mostly alcohol which is why the brushes dry soo fast. But it's not great for brush hair in the long run. Good if you are in a jam but I would avoid on natural hair brushes or expensive ones.

on 3/25/2017 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Got a sample of this the other day, didn't have very high hopes for it, but was pleasantly surprised by the results. I loathe washing my brushes, it's such a hassle to me. My bronzer brush had a months worth of residue on it (I know, how am I not covered in acne?) and this product literally took it all right off. I know I still need to deep clean them, but doing this is better than just not cleaning them imo. The scent isn't terrible to me, but I could live without it. I don't have many makeup brushes that I use... Maybe about 6. I will probably stick to once a week cleansing, so this is a good value for me.

on 4/10/2017 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This product makes cleaning my brushes so quick and easy.
You pour the brush cleaner into a dish or the cinema secrets tin (I have the travel sized and regular sized tins, although they aren't necessary. I can see any dish working just fine with the product). You dip the brush in, let the liquid soak in a little, then swipe the brush over a paper towel until it's clean, then you let it dry. It dries pretty fast.

I'm pretty sure it's alcohol based because the liquid smells very strongly of rubbing alcohol, hence the quick dry time. But once it dries, the alcohol smell is gone and your brushes smell so good, like vanilla. I recently used my freshly cleaned brushes on my sister. When I was powdering around her nose she said "wow, whatever you're putting on me smells amazing!" So the scent is soft enough that she thought it was the makeup itself, but still very pleasant.

This works well on all different types of brushes and with all different kinds of products. It cleans off creams, powders, and even shimmery highlighter which can even be hard to remove with soap and water. I also really like that it sanitizes the bristles! This doesn't replace a deep clean with soap and water but it really is great for keeping your brushes sanitary and for quick cleaning so that you can easily switch colours.

I wish it was a little cheaper but honestly I love it so much that the price won't stop me from repurchasing.

on 1/30/2016 12:36:00 AM

First off, let me say that makeup brushes are my weakness. I shouldn't be buying more and yet I can't seem to stop myself. What I don't love about brushes, is washing them. I have hyper-sensitive skin so i need to wash my brushes often. I have tried solutions for spot cleaning my brushes and while they do a good job in disinfecting them, they don't "clean" them well. Also, you need to wait for them to dry.

I heard many MUAs rave about this product so I decided to give it a shot.

The good:

Cinema Secrets brush cleaner uses capillary action to remove all the makeup from brushes. All you have to do is dip the tip of the bristles into the solution and it automatically gets pulled into the rest of the bristles. Swirl your brush over a clean paper towel and voila! Clean and disinfected brushes in seconds without having to wait for them to dry!! It works like magic!!! My brushes are super cleans in seconds. I don't really use this cleaner for foundation or cream products since you can end up using a lot of the solution. It's hard to control how much solution gets pulled into the bristles.

The bad:

The fragrance. It does have a VERY strong CHEMICAL vanilla scent which lingers even when the brushes are dry. My entire makeup room smells of it. Even the next morning with the windows open! It can be overwhelming/nauseating especially since I'm very sensitive to fragrance/odors.

And now, the ugly:

I have also noticed that it leaves some residue/film on my brushes. I'm guessing this is the "conditioning" part of the solution which is ironic since I find that my brushes feel more "dry/damaged" after using this cleaner.

Conclusion: Overrated product. It's going back to Sephora.

on 11/15/2015 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my favorite brush cleaner. I initially started using it years ago when I freelanced. It was great for quickly cleaning and sanitizing brushes on set between clients.

To use, I pour a small amount (about a tablespoon) into a small, shallow bowl. I've found that it's best to use a bowl with a wide bottom so that the liquid is a quarter of an inch deep or so. In a pinch, I've used the cap of the bottle, but I only pour a tiny amount. You don't want a ton of cleaner in the bowl, because you don't want to dip the entire length of the bristles into the liquid.

Before cleaning, I gently wipe the brush on a clean paper towel to remove some of the makeup. I dip only the tip of the bristles into the cleaner (maybe about 1/4 of the exposed bristles), and then immediately remove. The bristles will soak up the liquid if you leave them in too long, and that could be damaging to the glue inside the ferrule. This is why I prefer to have a very shallow bowl of the cleaner -- it's easy to just tap the tips and remove immediately without dipping the bristles too far. After quickly removing, I'll gentle swirl the tip of the brush on a clean towel or paper towel. If the brush is very dirty, I'll repeat the process. I'll immediately put the brush in my drying tower so it can dry upside down. The brushes dry very quickly.

Like others have mentioned, this does have a strong vanilla scent. I don't find it bothersome, but it is worth mentioning. On a few occasions, I have noticed that the cleaner will leave the tips of some white brushes blue, but I don't find that the staining is permanent.

I use this cleaner about once every week to every other week. I will occasionally wash with water, but I don't like to do that so often because I don't like getting the brushes wet often.

I buy the large 32-ounce bottles, and it lasts quite a long time. I used to buy at Alcone, but Sephora stocks it now.

on 10/2/2015 8:24:00 PM

By far the best brush cleanser I've ever tried. And I've tried many as my extensive brush collection required me to (150+) brushes. Dissolves all the makeup powder or liquid off brushes in a snap and evaporates off the brushes super fast leaving them crispy clean n dry with a wonderful scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It is full of parabens and leaves a residue on brushes......which caused the worst case of contact dermatitis I have every had! The skin surrounding my entire eye area, including brows, became so inflamed and irritated I could use nothing but hydrocortisone cream for about 3 days just to calm. It was awful!

Your brushes will just drink this stuff and the every bit of makeup is removed. But then the stuff evaporates and leaves a film and fragrance behind. I was so impressed I just went to town, cleaning every brush I owe, even if they did not appear to need it -- sanitizing you know. After the smaller brushes "dried" I used them to do my eye makeup. Within 20 minutes the skin around my eyes started to burn and itch. The only change here were freshly "cleansed" brushes. I removed the makeup and used my most gentle products to wash and moisturize. Within hours I was onto the hydrocortisone cream. 3 days later I moved on to sterile vaseline at the recommend of a dermatologist.

After a week, when I could be seen in public again, I decided to verify the "cleansed" brushes were the culprit. I applied my usual liquid foundation to one side cheek using only a freshly "cleansed" and dry brush. Within about 30 minutes it was red, itchy and irritated while the rest of my face was fine. So, I ended up having to scrub every brush the traditional way, using a brush soap. I think I got the filmy residue off but a slight fragrance still lingers and I worry that the big dense brushes will never be the same. So worrying!

Bottom line, I should have known better when the stuff has to be shipped ground. And for me the claim "paraben-free" has real meaning.

Popular Makeup Brushes