Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

4.5

Hydrotreated Heavy Naphtha, Dichloroflourooethane, 1-Methoxy-2-Propanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparabenn, N-Butylparaben, Fragrance, D&C Green #6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It is full of parabens and leaves a residue on brushes......which caused the worst case of contact dermatitis I have every had! The skin surrounding my entire eye area, including brows, became so inflamed and irritated I could use nothing but hydrocortisone cream for about 3 days just to calm. It was awful!

Your brushes will just drink this stuff and the every bit of makeup is removed. But then the stuff evaporates and leaves a film and fragrance behind. I was so impressed I just went to town, cleaning every brush I owe, even if they did not appear to need it -- sanitizing you know. After the smaller brushes "dried" I used them to do my eye makeup. Within 20 minutes the skin around my eyes started to burn and itch. The only change here were freshly "cleansed" brushes. I removed the makeup and used my most gentle products to wash and moisturize. Within hours I was onto the hydrocortisone cream. 3 days later I moved on to sterile vaseline at the recommend of a dermatologist.

After a week, when I could be seen in public again, I decided to verify the "cleansed" brushes were the culprit. I applied my usual liquid foundation to one side cheek using only a freshly "cleansed" and dry brush. Within about 30 minutes it was red, itchy and irritated while the rest of my face was fine. So, I ended up having to scrub every brush the traditional way, using a brush soap. I think I got the filmy residue off but a slight fragrance still lingers and I worry that the big dense brushes will never be the same. So worrying!

Bottom line, I should have known better when the stuff has to be shipped ground. And for me the claim "paraben-free" has real meaning.

on 1/30/2016 12:36:00 AM

First off, let me say that makeup brushes are my weakness. I shouldn't be buying more and yet I can't seem to stop myself. What I don't love about brushes, is washing them. I have hyper-sensitive skin so i need to wash my brushes often. I have tried solutions for spot cleaning my brushes and while they do a good job in disinfecting them, they don't "clean" them well. Also, you need to wait for them to dry.

I heard many MUAs rave about this product so I decided to give it a shot.

The good:

Cinema Secrets brush cleaner uses capillary action to remove all the makeup from brushes. All you have to do is dip the tip of the bristles into the solution and it automatically gets pulled into the rest of the bristles. Swirl your brush over a clean paper towel and voila! Clean and disinfected brushes in seconds without having to wait for them to dry!! It's works like magic!!! My brushes are super cleans in seconds. I don't really use this cleaner for foundation or cream products since you can end up using a lot of the solution. It's hard to control how much solution gets pulled into the bristles.

The bad:

The fragrance. It does have a VERY strong CHEMICAL vanilla scent which lingers even when the brushes are dry. My entire makeup room smells of it. Even the next morning with the windows open! It can be overwhelming/nauseating especially since I'm very sensitive to fragrance/odors.

And now, the ugly:

I have also noticed that it leaves some residue/film on my brushes. I'm guessing this is the "conditioning" part of the solution which is ironic since I find that my brushes feel more "dry/damaged" after using this cleaner.

Overrated product. It's going back to Sephora.

To Read all 55 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/15/2015 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my favorite brush cleaner. I initially started using it years ago when I freelanced. It was great for quickly cleaning and sanitizing brushes on set between clients.

To use, I pour a small amount (about a tablespoon) into a small, shallow bowl. I've found that it's best to use a bowl with a wide bottom so that the liquid is a quarter of an inch deep or so. In a pinch, I've used the cap of the bottle, but I only pour a tiny amount. You don't want a ton of cleaner in the bowl, because you don't want to dip the entire length of the bristles into the liquid.

Before cleaning, I gently wipe the brush on a clean paper towel to remove some of the makeup. I dip only the tip of the bristles into the cleaner (maybe about 1/4 of the exposed bristles), and then immediately remove. The bristles will soak up the liquid if you leave them in too long, and that could be damaging to the glue inside the ferrule. This is why I prefer to have a very shallow bowl of the cleaner -- it's easy to just tap the tips and remove immediately without dipping the bristles too far. After quickly removing, I'll gentle swirl the tip of the brush on a clean towel or paper towel. If the brush is very dirty, I'll repeat the process. I'll immediately put the brush in my drying tower so it can dry upside down. The brushes dry very quickly.

Like others have mentioned, this does have a strong vanilla scent. I don't find it bothersome, but it is worth mentioning. On a few occasions, I have noticed that the cleaner will leave the tips of some white brushes blue, but I don't find that the staining is permanent.

I use this cleaner about once every week to every other week. I will occasionally wash with water, but I don't like to do that so often because I don't like getting the brushes wet often.

I buy the large 32-ounce bottles, and it lasts quite a long time. I used to buy at Alcone, but Sephora stocks it now.

on 10/2/2015 8:24:00 PM

By far the best brush cleanser I've ever tried. And I've tried many as my extensive brush collection required me to (150+) brushes. Dissolves all the makeup powder or liquid off brushes in a snap and evaporates off the brushes super fast leaving them crispy clean n dry with a wonderful scent.

on 10/1/2015 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've bought this countless times and have gone through gallons of it. I used to wait until I was in Burbank and bought directly from the pro makeup store, but now Sephora carries it, which is more convenient for me.

I've tried several brush cleaners over the years and this is my favorite for really dissolving all the gunk fast. Some people soak the brushes in this, and you can, but these days I'm only doing makeup on myself, so I prefer to use a tin and just pour enough to cover the bristles and swish, then I squeeze it out over a sink and you see all the makeup and oil come off the brush which is really satisfying if you hate dirty brushes as much as I do. Then I give the brush a rinse in water. Some people don't; I do because I don't want all my white bristled brushes to be stained blue. I wrap a terry washcloth or small towel around the bristles and squeeze to get the water out. I don't use my favorite towels to do this, as makeup will inevitably stain them. Once that's done, and the brush is clean, I lay it flat to dry or use one of those trees that allows you to hang the brush upside down like a bat. This prevents water from collecting inside the ferrule (metal crimp around the bristles) and loosening the glue. Taking this precaution reduces shedding. That's my preferred method of using this cleaner. I'm sure other people use it differently, and have opinions about the best way to do it, and to critics, well...to each his own. I've been doing it this way for years and my brushes are in very good condition.

It has a few ingredients I should mention as they may increase or decrease your desire to buy the product: It has vanilla extract in it, which I happen to like, but not everyone will want the vanilla fragrance. The cleaner is tinted blue. If you are avoiding dye, it contains D&C green #6. It also contains parabens, however; this product is meant to clean the brush and be rinsed off, so I am much more dubious of foundations and powders with parabens because they sit on the skin all day. This product isn't supposed to. But if you are avoiding parabens at all costs, Sephora's house brand offers The Natural Citrus Brush Cleaner in a 4-ounce spray for $11.50.

Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner comes in several sizes. The smallest is a 2-ounce travel spray for $8. This is a good way to test it to see if you like it, and the spray means you don't need to use a tin, if you don't want to. I usually buy a large size (because I know I'll use it all), $36 for 32 ounces.

on 9/15/2015 9:07:00 AM

It's a really effective brush cleaner and gets your brushes clean quickly. My only tiny issue was sometimes it was difficult to get out of my brushes. After I would wipe the brush clean I thought I had removed most of the cleanser as well but my brush would dry blue and stiff. I mainly had this problem with stippling brushes and really dense kabuki brushes. Otherwise, great cleanser.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Really good brush cleanser especially for spot cleaning has slight vanilla scent but not too over whelming

Background: I purchased this product because I needed an alternative to Isocol (the smell makes me feel really sick!) for cleaning and sanitising makeup brushes.

How I use it:
I mainly use this brush cleaner after I've applied liquid or cream products using very small brushes (e.g. eyeliner, angled brow, lip).
1. I pour a small amount of brush cleaner into the mixing tray that came with my Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow.
2. I swirl the brush around in the liquid until I can see that most of the product has come off.
3. I wipe the brush clean on a cotton pad.

PROS:
* It works! This cleaner removes very long-lasting makeup (e.g. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream, Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist lipstick, Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade, etc.) without breaking a sweat.
* It doesn't smell terrible. I don't particularly like the scent but in my opinion, it's way better than all the alcohol-based brush cleaners.
* Not too expensive given the quality and the fact that you don't need much. I paid AUD $19.95 for 4oz. and $39.00 for 8oz. (plus shipping) on Makeup & Glow.

CONS:
* The packaging. I find it difficult to pour out a small amount without it dripping down the side of the bottle, so I accidentally waste it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great brush cleaner! I use mine as a spot cleaner between washes. I put mine in a spray bottle, spritz my brushes with it, and wipe on a towel. It gets out most everything, even from white brushes. It does have a pretty weird smell that I could see bothering some people. It sort of smells like varnish or paint thinner, with the addition of vanilla. It's not really pleasant, but it gets my brushes so clean that I will continue to use it.

on 7/2/2014 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this product in TV/Film makeup school and it was awesome for cleaning brushes. You do still need to deep clean your brushes with soap and water, but this stuff is good for getting the bulk of product out of the brushes.

I haven't used too many other brush cleansers, but out of the ones I have tried this is the best and the most affordable. In school we poured the product into a small jar and cleaned the brushes in the cleansing solution directly. We dipped the brush in and swirled it against the container. Then brushes off excess onto a paper towel. We repeated this until the brush was sufficiently cleansed. The only downsize was the bottle was HUGE and it was hard to find places to put it and the cleanser is not quick drying. It would take forever for larger brushes to completely dry out, but I think that really isn't a big deal for people cleansing their own personal collection of brushes.

I haven't used this in years because I am only washing my own personal brushes and I just give them a nice cleansing with baby shampoo and water. I should buy some of this stuff because I"m pretty awful at cleaning my brushes like I should. Currently they are in a pretty disgusting state....I'm pretty awful. I know. Maybe I will clean them up tonight and get myself a bottle of this stuff in the near future! :)

Popular Makeup Brushes