Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

4.4

Hydrotreated Heavy Naphtha, Dichloroflourooethane, 1-Methoxy-2-Propanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparabenn, N-Butylparaben, Fragrance, D&C Green #6

on 12/22/2016 9:02:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This brush cleaner is amazing. Easy to use and dries quickly. The only drawback is the smell but I can overlook that because it is very effective. I have to deep clean my brushes less frequently because I use this and it works soo well.

on 8/4/2016 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

OK let's get this out of the way immediately: YES, this cleans your brushes very well and very quick, and dries insanely fast. HOWEVER... This is just so not worth the money. For numerous reasons...

Pros: This is a quick and easy way to clean makeup brushes. And... That's about the only pro here IMO.

Cons: Brushes drink this up like crazy! A 32 oz bottle costs abt/almost $40.00, and trust me you will go through this fast. I am not exaggerating in the slightest - its not an issue for eye brushes but your foundation and powder brushes will soak up a quarter of the bottle, no joke. Another major issue is the smell; I am not sure where all this "it smells like vanilla" is coming from, because it doesn't. It smells straight up like pure alcohol and it takes a long time to dissipate. Issue 3: price, price, price!

Because this product is so darned wasteful the way face brushes eat it up, I would much rather just pick a brush cleaning day where I have nothing major going on the next day, and wash them with the beauty blender cleaner and allow for drying time. Because I can legit go through an entire bottle of this in a month (yeah, I have a LOT of brushes). So for me, this cleanser is just a waste.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It is full of parabens and leaves a residue on brushes......which caused the worst case of contact dermatitis I have every had! The skin surrounding my entire eye area, including brows, became so inflamed and irritated I could use nothing but hydrocortisone cream for about 3 days just to calm. It was awful!

Your brushes will just drink this stuff and the every bit of makeup is removed. But then the stuff evaporates and leaves a film and fragrance behind. I was so impressed I just went to town, cleaning every brush I owe, even if they did not appear to need it -- sanitizing you know. After the smaller brushes "dried" I used them to do my eye makeup. Within 20 minutes the skin around my eyes started to burn and itch. The only change here were freshly "cleansed" brushes. I removed the makeup and used my most gentle products to wash and moisturize. Within hours I was onto the hydrocortisone cream. 3 days later I moved on to sterile vaseline at the recommend of a dermatologist.

After a week, when I could be seen in public again, I decided to verify the "cleansed" brushes were the culprit. I applied my usual liquid foundation to one side cheek using only a freshly "cleansed" and dry brush. Within about 30 minutes it was red, itchy and irritated while the rest of my face was fine. So, I ended up having to scrub every brush the traditional way, using a brush soap. I think I got the filmy residue off but a slight fragrance still lingers and I worry that the big dense brushes will never be the same. So worrying!

Bottom line, I should have known better when the stuff has to be shipped ground. And for me the claim "paraben-free" has real meaning.

on 1/30/2016 12:36:00 AM

First off, let me say that makeup brushes are my weakness. I shouldn't be buying more and yet I can't seem to stop myself. What I don't love about brushes, is washing them. I have hyper-sensitive skin so i need to wash my brushes often. I have tried solutions for spot cleaning my brushes and while they do a good job in disinfecting them, they don't "clean" them well. Also, you need to wait for them to dry.

I heard many MUAs rave about this product so I decided to give it a shot.

The good:

Cinema Secrets brush cleaner uses capillary action to remove all the makeup from brushes. All you have to do is dip the tip of the bristles into the solution and it automatically gets pulled into the rest of the bristles. Swirl your brush over a clean paper towel and voila! Clean and disinfected brushes in seconds without having to wait for them to dry!! It works like magic!!! My brushes are super cleans in seconds. I don't really use this cleaner for foundation or cream products since you can end up using a lot of the solution. It's hard to control how much solution gets pulled into the bristles.

The bad:

The fragrance. It does have a VERY strong CHEMICAL vanilla scent which lingers even when the brushes are dry. My entire makeup room smells of it. Even the next morning with the windows open! It can be overwhelming/nauseating especially since I'm very sensitive to fragrance/odors.

And now, the ugly:

I have also noticed that it leaves some residue/film on my brushes. I'm guessing this is the "conditioning" part of the solution which is ironic since I find that my brushes feel more "dry/damaged" after using this cleaner.

Conclusion: Overrated product. It's going back to Sephora.

on 11/15/2015 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my favorite brush cleaner. I initially started using it years ago when I freelanced. It was great for quickly cleaning and sanitizing brushes on set between clients.

To use, I pour a small amount (about a tablespoon) into a small, shallow bowl. I've found that it's best to use a bowl with a wide bottom so that the liquid is a quarter of an inch deep or so. In a pinch, I've used the cap of the bottle, but I only pour a tiny amount. You don't want a ton of cleaner in the bowl, because you don't want to dip the entire length of the bristles into the liquid.

Before cleaning, I gently wipe the brush on a clean paper towel to remove some of the makeup. I dip only the tip of the bristles into the cleaner (maybe about 1/4 of the exposed bristles), and then immediately remove. The bristles will soak up the liquid if you leave them in too long, and that could be damaging to the glue inside the ferrule. This is why I prefer to have a very shallow bowl of the cleaner -- it's easy to just tap the tips and remove immediately without dipping the bristles too far. After quickly removing, I'll gentle swirl the tip of the brush on a clean towel or paper towel. If the brush is very dirty, I'll repeat the process. I'll immediately put the brush in my drying tower so it can dry upside down. The brushes dry very quickly.

Like others have mentioned, this does have a strong vanilla scent. I don't find it bothersome, but it is worth mentioning. On a few occasions, I have noticed that the cleaner will leave the tips of some white brushes blue, but I don't find that the staining is permanent.

I use this cleaner about once every week to every other week. I will occasionally wash with water, but I don't like to do that so often because I don't like getting the brushes wet often.

I buy the large 32-ounce bottles, and it lasts quite a long time. I used to buy at Alcone, but Sephora stocks it now.

on 10/2/2015 8:24:00 PM

By far the best brush cleanser I've ever tried. And I've tried many as my extensive brush collection required me to (150+) brushes. Dissolves all the makeup powder or liquid off brushes in a snap and evaporates off the brushes super fast leaving them crispy clean n dry with a wonderful scent.

on 10/1/2015 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a professional brush cleaner. I've bought this countless times over the years and have gone through gallons of it. I used to buy it directly from the pro makeup store in Burbank, but now Sephora carries it, which is more convenient for me.

I've tried several brush cleaners over the years and this is my favorite for really dissolving all the gunk fast. Some people soak brushes in this, but I don't. It wastes a lot of cleaner and can compromise the bristles. I prefer to use a tin and just pour enough to dip the bristles in and swish, then I squeeze it out over a sink, and you can see all the makeup and oil that other cleaners couldn't remove come off. (This can be satisfying if you've been using a gentle soap that just doesn't seem to dissolve makeup from your brush.) Then I give the brush a quick rinse in water. Some people don't rinse; I do because I don't want all my white bristled brushes to be stained blue. I wrap a terry washcloth or small towel around the bristles and blot to remove water. I don't use my favorite towels to do this, as makeup can stain them. Once that's done, and the brush is clean, I use a brush tree that allows you to hang the brush upside down like a bat. This prevents water from collecting inside the ferrule and loosening the glue. Taking this precaution reduces shedding. That's my preferred method of using this cleaner. I'm sure other people use it differently, and have opinions about the best way to do it, and to critics, well...to each his own. I've been doing it this way for years and my brushes are in great shape.

It has a few ingredients I should mention as they may increase or decrease your desire to buy the product: It has vanilla extract in it, which I happen to like, but not everyone will like the strong chemical vanilla scent. The cleaner is tinted blue. If you are avoiding dye, it contains D&C green #6. It also contains parabens, however; this product is meant to clean the brush and be rinsed off. But if you are avoiding parabens at all costs, Sephora's house brand offers The Natural Citrus Brush Cleaner in a 4-ounce spray for $11.50.

Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner comes in several sizes. The smallest is a 2-ounce travel spray for $8. I usually buy a large size (because I know I'll use it all eventually), $36 for 32 ounces.

on 9/15/2015 9:07:00 AM

It's a really effective brush cleaner and gets your brushes clean quickly. My only tiny issue was sometimes it was difficult to get out of my brushes. After I would wipe the brush clean I thought I had removed most of the cleanser as well but my brush would dry blue and stiff. I mainly had this problem with stippling brushes and really dense kabuki brushes. Otherwise, great cleanser.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Really good brush cleanser especially for spot cleaning has slight vanilla scent but not too over whelming

Background: I purchased this product because I needed an alternative to Isocol (the smell makes me feel really sick!) for cleaning and sanitising makeup brushes.

How I use it:
I mainly use this brush cleaner after I've applied liquid or cream products using very small brushes (e.g. eyeliner, angled brow, lip).
1. I pour a small amount of brush cleaner into the mixing tray that came with my Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow.
2. I swirl the brush around in the liquid until I can see that most of the product has come off.
3. I wipe the brush clean on a cotton pad.

PROS:
* It works! This cleaner removes very long-lasting makeup (e.g. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream, Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist lipstick, Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade, etc.) without breaking a sweat.
* It doesn't smell terrible. I don't particularly like the scent but in my opinion, it's way better than all the alcohol-based brush cleaners.
* Not too expensive given the quality and the fact that you don't need much. I paid AUD $19.95 for 4oz. and $39.00 for 8oz. (plus shipping) on Makeup & Glow.

CONS:
* The packaging. I find it difficult to pour out a small amount without it dripping down the side of the bottle, so I accidentally waste it.

Popular Makeup Brushes