DAISO Detergent for Puff and Sponge

DAISO Detergent for Puff and Sponge
Detergent for Puff and SpongeDetergent for Puff and SpongeDetergent for Puff and SpongeDetergent for Puff and SpongeDetergent for Puff and Sponge

ETHYL ALCOHOL, GREEN TEA EXTRACT, PERSIMMON SEED EXTRACT

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Amazing stuff here, I picked it up at Daiso simply bcuz I was curious how good can something from a one price shop can be, but this is seriously good.

It cleans foundation sponges and oval brushes well, once I even used this to clean a cushion sponge (not the puff used to apply the foundation, the actual cushion manufacturers soak the foundation into) and it got the job done!

As for the price, this is from Daiso,,,so super affordable!! Great value too, I clean my foundation applicators every two week or so (I'm not proud) and this lasts for months!! (I don't use this detergent for brushes that are used with powder products, have a feeling this might be too harsh on them)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is designed to clean powder puffs and sponges (beauty blenders) as the name states and I'd only buy it for this reason. It takes time to use but works! As long as I use enough product, and spend several minutes massaging the product into the sponge, it gets out all the foundation marks and leaves my beauty blender sponges sparkling clean like new.

But its NOT designed for makeup brushes. I don't know why people think it does?? I see youtubers rave about it and are buying up bottles in bulk (not picking on anyone, but cute Kat from Beauty News is one example). I haven't tried it but Daiso sell a separate "Makeup Brush Cleaner" for quick cleaning brushes in between deep cleaning.

For cleaning brushes, Puff and Sponge basically works like a watered down baby shampoo. I need to use alot of Puff and Sponge (which gets expensive) and even then it can NOT get my white hair brushes clean. With repeated washings those stains remain, ugg.

For cleaning regular makeup brushes I find unscented baby soap does a better, faster job over Daiso at a fraction of the price. For really dirty brushes caked up with creams, oils and eyeliner gels, I the dish detergent + olive oil mix on a palette does the trick. It loosens up all the caked on product. Then rinse and follow by a 2nd cleanse of baby soap.

If you're curious and you find it cheap give it a try. Or if you find those foundation stains in your beauty blend sponges really annoying I'd recommend. Otherwise save your money and go buy baby soap or castille soap. Its better for your wallet and better for the environment too!

This detergent works insanely well at cleaning makeup sponges and brushes. I had been using an oil/dish soap combo to clean my Real Techniques makeup sponge, which works really well, but the Daiso detergent is just easier to use. It truly gets out all of the makeup and discoloration. It also rinses well: I used to use a simple dish soap in my makeup sponges, but I found I was rinsing endlessly before the soap ran clear. With this detergent the process of cleaning the sponge from beginning to end is easily less than 5 minutes.

I've also been using the detergent for my makeup brushes instead of only sponges, because it's great for that, too. Fast, easy, and very effective. My brushes and sponge come out looking like new.

The drawbacks: 1. I first bought this in-store and it was seriously marked up. It can be found much more cheaply on eBay, but then you have to deal with waiting for a shipment from Japan. So it's not super convenient. 2. The bottles are annoyingly small. If they came out with an economy-sized bottle of this stuff, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

But regardless, I have and will continue to repurchase this. It's quite inexpensive relative to other makeup sponge cleansers I've seen, and much more convenient than DIY brush cleanser recipes.

For some reason, I thought this product wasn't available at my local Daiso but I was wrong, thank goodness. I grabbed a bottle of this detergent and used it to wash my brushes this weekend and wow, I'm impressed.
I added a very small amount of detergent in the bowl of water which did an excellent job of cleaning the brushes. I had to use a bit more to clean certain brushes but it was painless. Rinsing wasn't as much of an ordeal. Previously I would use dishwashing liquid soap with vinegar and warm water but I had to really rinse the brushes to avoid that 'soapy' residue.
With the Daiso sponge detergent, I don't need to rinse as much.
It's the best $2 I've ever spent. I'll be stock piling this cleanser.

on 11/30/2017 4:20:00 AM

This stuff is awesome, its so effective for cleaning brushes and makes the entire brush cleaning experience so much easier. I'm converted. Just a little bit of this in a bowl, wet your brush, rub your brush on the back of your hand or a brush cleaning board to suds it up and then rinse. Brushes are clean. Its cheap, its cheerful and its effective, whats not to love?

on 11/29/2017 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm very new at writing reviews, but I'm so thankful for the help I've gotten from makeupalley over the years so I HAVE to give some back. And this is a product I for sure never would have come across if it wasn't for you guys.

Anyone who's had acne knows the importance of having clean makeup tools. And probably also knows that cleaning your brushes is a time consuming bore beyond.

I really don't want to know what chemical is in this product that enables the detergent to work so well, cause honestly, it's a miracle. It not only cleans the brushes from what can cause breakouts, but also somehow removes all old stains in the hairs. Your sponges and brushes look brand new in just seconds?!

I find the packaging so dope too, that it's small and you dilute the product yourself instad of buying a bigger bottle from another brand that's already diluted. That way it takes up less space and weight during transport= better for the environment. I only use a tiny tiny bit of product mixed with hot water in a cup to clean my whole set of 15 brushes that I use daily, so it really lasts longer too than any other brand I've tried.

The one tip I can give regarding how to use the product is to dilute it with hot water rather than cold or lukewarm, otherwise I've noticed it not working as well.

X

on 11/21/2017 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I wish there was a maybe for the "would you buy it again"......I said no, but my answer is really maybe, have to wait and get some feedback on the new formula.

This product is not for brushes and definitely not for natural bristle brushes, it is way too harsh. I got this on Amazon and used it only for cleaning my sponges. It took about a month to arrive and it was only 3/4 full, which is a pretty common complaint.

Their newly released version is named DAISO SPONGE & BRUSH CLEANER. The packaging is different, green bottle and it's now 6.8 ounces instead of 2.70 ounces and the price is supposedly the same. That is quite an increase in size with no price increase. I've heard some say the formula is different, others say it is the same, so I guess time will tell. I've seen the newer ones on Ebay but not on Amazon yet. If I decide to repurchase it I want to wait for some reviews on the newly released version. I would think if it is now for brushes too, the formula might have been changed and I would not use a sponge cleaner/brush on my expensive shu uemura brushes, or any of my sable, squirrel, goat or kolinsky brushes. I never used the old formula on those either.

It does work well on sponges but honestly, mine come just as clean when I use a bar of anti bacterial soap. Dial, Irish Spring, doesn't matter. Even nicely scented hard milled soaps work. Beauty bars like Dove don't work as well for me. I just wet the sponges, put the bar of soap in the sink in about 3-4" of warm water water for about 5 minutes so it softens a little, then rub the sponge over it and start squeezing. The soap goes all the way into the center of the sponge and cleans it. Sometimes there will be some resistant stains on the surface but I just rub that area on the bar of soap and it comes right out. When done it is like new, no stains at all.

on 9/10/2017 5:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is such a cheap and excellent product. I use it diluted with water in a glass, then dip my brush heads in before rinsing off with water, squeezing off excess water and laying to dry. I don't own any brushes with natural hair only synthetic so I don't know how this detergent works with natural hair.

on 7/13/2017 2:58:00 AM

Cheap and amazing. I buy 3 bottles at a time.

I bought this on a whim when I was buying some cheap (but fairly well made) brushes from Daiso here in Japan. The ingredients were in English so I knew there weren't any 'funky' ingredients. I use it everyday to cleanse and rinse my foundation brushes and once a week on my blush and powder and eye brushes. The only down side is that I usually go through a bottle a week and therefore I stoked up the last time I was there. Definitely worth the trip! Such a great price, no strong scents and my skin hasn't broken out since using it (and my skin is MAJORLY ACNE PRONE!)
To use I just squirt a little into a small cup and swirl the brush a few times, then rinse under water to see if it's clean enough, if not, I do the process again until the brush is completely clean!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools