beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

on 11/6/2006 1:08:00 PM

I found the Beautyblender sponge to be too small to handle very well. The company was difficult when I tried to contact them for a refund. They stated they were sorry I was disspointed with their product but could not issue me a refund.

I would try and check the product out thoroughly before I spent the money since it's NON-RETURNABLE.

on 4/17/2007 3:51:00 PM

I really like this sponge. I have always use a sponge to apply foundation, but the shape and texture of the beautyblender are far superior to any other sponge I have used. The pointed end is great for blending around the eyes. The texture is perfect because it doesn't soak up all the foundation like some sponges can. It also feels very soft on your skin. I bought the package with the cleanser, but I don't think it is better than any other cleanser so I would pass on it.

on 5/6/2007 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This little baby goes to the top of my "Cosmetic Product Every MUAer Worth the Title Should Own". I was kicking myself for allowing myself to lemming this. Now I am so delighted to own it. I use it both dry and dampened, though prefer to use it dampened. I've used it on MMU (dry and dampened), liquid, pressed powder, and creme/gel (EL Re-Nutriv) and it works beautifully on all of them. When used dampened, the foundation goes on sheerly, but is easily layered as you go. A cinch to clean, I just use a bar of generic castile soap I keep in the bathroom, wet the sponge, run it over the bar of soap a couple of times, squish it, and rinse thoroughly.

on 11/16/2007 11:10:00 PM

WOW! This is a tool that is in my HG Hall of Fame. I use Laura Mercier oil-free foundation, which is very pigmented and concentrated, texture-wise. I was using LM's sponge and/or my MAC 187 to apply it, with satisfactory results. Then I got this sponge and haven't gone back since. It applies foundation in an even, smooth, non-gunky finish; the product just disappears into my skin while leaving a perfect finish. The larger end works for my forehead and cheeks, the narrower end for my nose and chin. I just love this product. I paid about $20 on beauty.com which may seem expensive but I use less product than with other tools and I think the sponge will last a good long time. I highly recommend this and will certainly repurchase.

on 11/20/2007 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I hate to ruin the great reviews, but I was just not a fan of this hot-pink egg. I find the shape awkward and the price just ridiculous for what you get. Though the sponge itself is nice and dense, I think Bobbi Brown wedges are of the same quality and you get an eight-pack for $5.50.

Part of my dislike is the clean freak in me, as you need to wash this sponge after each use or it sits there looking disgusting and breeding who-knows-what germs. It also takes a long time to rinse, in my experience. That being said, I absolutely love the Beautyblender cleanser to use with regular brushes. It give a nice deep clean and rinses well.

I gave it two lippies because the sponge does do it's job. But bottom line, the Beautyblender is *just* a sponge! The Web site instructs you to use a stippling technique, and you can do that with any wedge or foundation brush to get that airbrushed look. I just swapped it away and will stick to using BB wedges or the Mac 187 for applying foundation. continued >>

on 1/9/2008 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I first tried this product 1 1/2 years ago & gave it a negative review after trying it for a week. And I returned the sponge. Now, a year & a half later, I decided to buy it again & take another stab at it. Hopefully I can help someone w/this new, revised review.

When I originally tried the sponge it didn't work even tho I followed the prep. directions perfectly. Soaked it w/water, then squeezed water out & squeezed it again w/a towel. That dried the sponge too much, so it absorbed the foundation instantly & it was virtually unusable. I had to use a ton of foundation & even then I ended up w/super sheer coverage because the gallons of foundation had soaked into the sponge.

NOW, however, I decided to skip the towel - just squeezing the water out with my hand & going right to the foundation. VICTORY!

I think this is a very counter-intuitive thing, which is why I didn't figure it out originally. I figured that moisture in the sponge would dilute the foundation & end up providing too sheer coverage. Wrong! Actually, when there is some moisture in the sponge (don't use a towel!) the sponge cannot absorb as much foundation - because its little sponge cells are full of water! So by leaving my sponge a bit moist, I was able to use it properly because it didn't absorb nearly as much foundation. AND, the added moisture makes it possible to move the foundation around.

I'm delighted that I got back on the horse & tried this again. Wish I hadn't waited a year & a half, but hey . . . took me that long to get interested again & come up with a revised method of use.

Also, after using it for foundation, I gently tapped the pointed end into my Bobbi Brown concealer & patted it under each eye. Heaven. Looks even better than when I use my BB concealer brush, which I love. I'm glad I can take away my neg. review & give this gem the 5 lippies it has earned.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a wonderful little pink egg sponge full of joy!!! I adore this, it blends my MU beautifully for a flawless finish, I am finding I am using even less powder with this. Just do exactly what it tells you to do, wet it, squeeze it out in a paper towel and go to work. You will get a beautifully flawless finish. I us CG Advance Radiance and they give you a little cheap square sponge which I learned to use. NEVER again!!! This beauty will be in my MU aresenal from now on! Just remember to clean it, you can use your own gentle cleanser but as a friend of mine put it, I got the "egg cleaner".

on 4/8/2008 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had my "egg" for a year now. Using it daily and cleansing after each use it's still in good condition. Nice size and shape for setting MMU!

EDIT: Sonya Kashuk's Blue Peep has replaced the BB as my new favorite. Less expensive and just as good, although quite a bit more "firm" in texture.

on 7/6/2008 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The Beautyblender has transformed the way I do my makeupand the finished result. I used to use brushes for my foundation and concealer, and although I was happy enough with the results, application took forever and I had to be careful to blend really well to eliminate any sign of brush strokes.
With the Beautyblender, my foundation application is surprisingly quick and using the pointy end it just takes a couple of seconds to cover up my dark circles with concealer. And the results are amazing. The finish is flawless, the application looks invisible, and any signs of dark circles are banished.
I'm naughty and only wash mine a couple of times a week as it takes more time to clean than it does to use (I use Philosophy Purity to clean it).
They are horribly expensive, especially in my part of the world, so I wait till cyberemporium.com.au have a sale (I got mine at 30% off).
It comes with a ridiculous amount of packaging, which I find really wasteful. You can supposedly use the packaging to sit the BB on to dry it out, but who's realistically going to keep packaging that's about 5 times the size of the product?
A word of advice: if you have cats, don't leave this out within their reach. I saw my cat racing around last night with a pink toy. "Ooh, cute" I thought to myself, until I realised that he didn't have any pink toys. Thankfully I managed to retrieve my BB before he did too much damage to it.
UPDATE: 09/08/08 (minus 1 lippie). I'm finding that I use twice as much foundation with this to get less coverage than I would with a brush as the sponge soaks up so much product. Am now applying foundation roughly with my fingers and then using this to blend, and am getting great results.
After 3 months am finding that it's starting to disintegrate a little. For the price I would expect it to last longer.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I LOVE this sponge! I was skeptical at first--and it is a little expensive for "just a sponge"--however after using this for a few weeks I know it's waaaay more than just a sponge. It doesn't compare at all to the usual sponges used to apply foundation. The key to getting the most out of beautyblender is not to rub--just kind of dab (it does all of the blending for you using this method, without wiping the foundation off). I have the mac 188 and just about every other foundation brush, but nothing really compares to this! I've used beautyblender with almost all of my liquid foundations and it performs equally well with each of them. If you prefer liquid foundation, this sponge is a must for you to try!! I'll definately be repurchasing.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools