beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 7/14/2007 12:29:00 AM

After several years on makeupalley, I think I've become rather cynical about products. If one doesn't strike me as incredible, there is no way I'm going to give it a second shot. When I saw this on amazon.com, offered through bebeautiful.com, I read the reviews and then waited. For a month. I just didn't want to buy another item I wouldn't use. I finally caved when, even using my MAC 187, my foundation looked ridiculous.

From the first use, this makeup applicator made my makeup application look professional. I use it to "stipple" my face, as I have excessive redness in my t-zone. It's rounded edges mean that there is no foundation that will collect in the applicator or my skin. I gently stipple about 5 small dots of foundation into my skin and then wipe it under my eyes for a flawless look.

If you get one of these, I highly recommend the 2 sponge and 1 bottle of cleaner set. It's price efficient and the cleanser cleans the sponge quickly and with minimal effort.

I highly recommend this for anyone that has felt dissatisfied with makeup application or who has just about given up on their foundation. Give it one more try with this beautyblender! It can make the difference between a blah face and a flawless face.

on 7/11/2009 12:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I thought this would be a really gimmicky product and was reluctant to buy it. Before purchasing this sponge, I either used my fingers or my Prescriptives foundation brush to apply makeup. I gave in and ordered the BB hoping for a tool that would give me even, light coverage and it really does deliver. I've had mine for a couple of months now and while the pink dye that comes off on my towels during the first washings is annoying, I'm still very pleased. I used the sample of the cleanser that came with the sponge, and honestly can't tell a difference between using that and anti-bacterial hand soap. I wash mine before and after each use and it has not started to disintegrate or anything. Since it is expensive, I will repurchase this only if I get at least a full year of use out of it (I deducted one lippie because of the price). If not, I'll try harder to find the Sonia Kashuk version when my BB needs replacing. Overall, does a really good job of blending my Revlon CS foundation so I recommend giving this product a try.

When I first got this, I seriously wondered what the hell I just wasted my money on.

It just looked so tiny and.. nothing special - for the price.

However, this is just amazing. I use this to apply my tinted moisturizer and I use the top of the sponge for my concealer.

Make sure you run this under water before using it with your foundation.

It litterally takes me about 3 minutes (maybe less) to achieve a flawless application (and I have less then perfect skin)

I hope they never discontinue this.

on 10/10/2010 7:51:00 PM

In my endless quest to find the perfect foundation application, I've realized that brushes can't achieve that flawless texture - at least not w/full-coverage liquids or creams. So I gave the old standard white
wedge sponges a second look. Dampened, and used with the lightest stippling touch, I've been able to achieve full coverage with a porcelain finish. The only problem was the hard lines they made at the edges - which I'd then have to blend out. Pain in the... Enter the BeautyBlender. I ordered it online, but couldn't wait, so I ran out and bought the blue Sonia Kashuk dupe. That proved way too firm and dense (like the yellow Sephora dupe). The two of those actually hurt my face bc I couldn't stipple lightly. No worries, bc I had heard the pink BeautyBlender was much softer. In truth, it is softer than the dupes - about the same as my wedges. However, not as dense as my white wedges - and very porous. That's my big problem with the BeautyBlender - too porous, so the finish is too sheer. And I didn't want to use more than 3 layers of foundation bc it soaks up so much product (and yes, I only used it damp). Day by day, I did side-by-side comparisons, and the BeautyBlender just couldn't beat my wedges. In terms of coverage and texture, I'm sticking w/wedge sponges. For reference, I used EL DW and Nars Sheer Glow in thin layers on top of each other.

If it was made of the same dense, but soft, material as my wedges, but in that ingenious egg shape for seamless application, it would be the HG to end all HG's. Unfortunately, for all the hype, the BeautyBlender turned out to be the biggest disappointment of all the makeup products/tools I've ever purchased. I've seen it work well on youtube w/MAC Full Coverage - but that's an entirely different texture than anything I use - and mind you, that's on youtube. It's expensive, yes, but I'd gladly pay anything to achieve a flawless finish. This didn't come close - and it soaked up too much product.

UPDATE: I continue trying every possible application with this tool. To date, the only use for which it's fairly effective is pressing Powderflage into the corner of my eyes. Aside from that, standard white sponges trump this gimmick. I have no idea how the BeautyBlender is rated so well. I just think it's the biggest gimmick ever. The pink color, the shape, the hype - all very seductive; but the actual finished product it leaves is mediocre at best. Nothing a wedge sponge can't do - and a wedge sponge does it for 1/30 the cost and gives much better results.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my first review on MUA but I just have to share how much i love the beautyblender. First of all, the trick is to use it properly. It may look like an ordinary sponge but you cannot and i mean CANNOT apply foundation by swiping it on with the BB. You have to bounce the foundation on. I suggest you watch the youtube videos to get it right. Second, I find that it works best with cream or powder foundation. I just dip the BB into my MAC mineralize foundation or my Bare Escentuals foundation and it gives the most flawless finish. As for liquid foundation or tinted moisturizers, I find the beauty blender works best if i dot the foundation on my face with my fingers and use the BB to blend it out. This is the one item that has replaced my foundation brush and concealer brush.

on 1/13/2011 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this little pink sponge. I use it for foundation, blush, and powder. I haven't noticed the problem that other people mentioned with it soaking up too much product. What I do notice is that my skin looks incredibly natural.

Currently I'm using it with Philosophy's Superbeautiful liquid foundation, Everyday Minerals blush, and Everyday Minerals sunlight powder. The coverage I get is sheer (although I'm guessing that's from the foundation, I'm probably going to try something with more coverage soon), natural looking coverage with no cakey or powdery look. The blush I think is almost the most impressive though. It applies very smooth and evenly giving that "glowing" look.

Needless to say I'm impressed and no longer feel guilty about spending nearly $20 on a sponge. No more application brushes for me!

on 4/20/2011 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This little, simple, pink sponge is awesome. I was skeptical about buying this thinking "It's a sponge with a point." and I dont think I need to even discuss the price. But with reading all the great reviews I decided to give it a go. I ordered it on Sephora & just got it yesterday afternoon. Lately, my face has been blotchy and have been breaking out (I think its due to a new face cleanser I've been using) and no matter how hard I tried to correct the blotchy-ness, I just could not achieve an even skin tone. And ladies ( & gents), you know as well as I do no matter how awesome your eye makeup is, it doesnt matter if the face is looking ugh. Today I tried the BB and....I'm amazed. This dinky thing made my face look totally even, without using alot of product! Amazed. I dont have to layer on a mass amout of foundation and concealer on my icky areas anymore. It also cut the amount of time I spend correcting my skin. Just stiple the sponge a few more times on those areas and wah-lah. This isnt a miracle product, but it's awesome and definately worth trying. I'd buy it all over again in a heart beat.

on 6/2/2011 12:34:00 AM

Well, I'm late to the game on this one, I know! I've only had my BB sponges for a few months now, and I've been waiting to chime in with my opinion because, to be honest, I'm constantly up and down with this product. I've tried it with every foundation and concealer I have in my collection or could get my hands on. I agree that it does a much better job than most brushes, insofar as it doesn't streak and it deposits colour without disturbing the skin. However, I don't find it to be significantly better (I give it a slight edge!) than my Simga F80 when it comes to liquid foundation - both achieve an air-brushed finish with no steaks. The pointed end of the sponge is great for getting into corners better than a brush, such as around my nose.

Some of downsides is that I found it stains easily with liquid foundation and it needs a wash after every use! However, I deep clean my brushes once a week and I've managed to make the sponge-washing one of the steps in my makeup routine. It's also quite expensive, though mine have lasted pretty well. Some of the cheaper dupes are comparable in use but not in quality and seem to deteriorate quickly. When I wash it, the water runs pink, which makes me wonder how much dye is in this little sponge? I would prefer something more natural, I think, though I concede that it is a cute colour. I also feel that it forces me to use way too much product, as it seems to absorb a lot of my liquid product, despite only using the sponge when it's damp (instructions say this will prevent the sponge from soaking up product - I call BS on that!).

One thing this sponge has done for me is made me love my Bare Escentuals products again - nothing I have ever used previously gives me such a fantastic application of this line. I had pushed them to the back of my makeup cabinet, but now I'm using the foundation and concealers daily again thanks to the help of the BB sponge. I'm finally able to make 'Well-Rested' eye powder work for me, whereas I previously hated it.

So, I definitely recommend trying this with a few different products and lines before forming a firm opinion - it could surprise you! Right now, I'm loving it and will continue to try it out with more items (highlights, cream blushes, etc...) to see where else I can make it work for me. I would likely buy it again.

The beautyblender is great for creamy liquid foundations (LM Silk Creme) and tinted moisturizer. I took one lippie off because I find using my fingers with cream foundation (Studio Stick, Studio Tech) works a bit better/faster. I didn't realize how much I like the beautyblender until yesterday. I was in a hurry and decided to use my Sigma foundation brush to apply Tarte Smooth Operator (tinted moisturizer). I found the application to be much more difficult, and super streaky. This is why I don't use a foundation brush to apply Silk Creme or Smooth Operator, because of the streaks. I also don't use my fingers to apply either of those products because of "finger lines". So, the beauty blender is excellent for some things, and sort of mediocre for others. When squeezing out excess water, I have noticed that some pink dye comes out, but have not seen any transfer to my face when applying makeup. Also, I have not purchased the blender cleanser, and to be honest, have not used the sample or washed the sponge yet so I can't attest to how well they will hold up over time. I've only used one of the two I bought, and then only about 6-7 times as I don't wear makeup every day.

Skin: Other, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I was not prepared to fork out $20 for a sponge, so i researched the product, read all the reviews, watched all the tutorials. Then i saw Mario Dedivanovic using it on Kim K and i was sold! What a brilliant investment! This is now my HG. I love love love the flawless finish it provides. With my acne scarring i tend to load on the concealer...but with this little gem i can use a little product and blend away an voila i look flawless. Not one of my brushes can blend out my It Cosmetics bye bye under eye concealer....but this little egg can! I will def repurchase!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools