Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA (water-binding agents), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Hydroxyethylcellulose,), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben (all preservatives).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have sensitive rosacea prone skin and no AHA ever worked for me previously.
I was very skeptical to try this one. Many were saying that it's very strong and it will most likely cause irritation, especially to a sensitive skin.
I stopped using Retin-A after trying it for a bit more than 9 months, with no results, but severe irritation, and jumped into Paula's Choice 8% AHA.
I don't use it every day, only 3-4 days a week at night time and I love it! I have zero irritation (using it more than 3-4 days will definitely cause some). My fine lines look diminished, my skin tone is evener. I don't have any peeling, and my skin feels well exfoliated.
I've been using it for 2.5 months and I'm loving it! I believe the bottle will last me for about 9 months. Great product! Highly recommend.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've tried using this one and off for about 6 months now. The vierdict? It gives me extra whiteheads and burns the hell out of my skin. The packaging also broke immediately and then leaked everywhere.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Paula's Choice consistently formulates excellent exfoliators and this is no exception. This product comes in a gel format that absorbs rather quickly. It played well with other serums and creams, except for The Ordinary's Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%, but that product hates everything so it is no reflection on the quality of this acid. It packs a punch so I would work my way up to this if I am new to acids. It left my face and arms smooth and supple and it helped fade some hyperpigmentation on my nose. It lasted forever as well.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I'm so glad chemical exfoliants exist. When it comes to physical exfoliants such as those with beads, even the ones with micro-beads aimed for sensitive skin make me break out. Ever since deciding to use skincare products to treat acne 'scarring', this product has been the most important in terms of short-term visible differences. I haven't used it long-term yet but I'm excited to do so.

When starting out I made the mistake of using it twice everyday, which stressed out my skin too much. While my face was glowing, it was also breaking out. So I toned it down and used it once every three days, and thankfully the breakouts have cleared. So I recommend a bit of experimentation at first to figure out the right frequency to keep your skin happy. Once my skin gets used to it, I am planning on using this every second day.

The smell isn't great, but I'd prefer using a product that smells awful if it meant it didn't have unnecessary ingredients that irritates my skin.

A very good and effective product. I’m using it daily no irritation or dryness whatsoever. I’ve tried retain A as an anti-aging and a spot remover but it was way too harsh. This really gave me a smooth, pore-less skin. In addition, It lightened my stubborn spot. Now It is a runny formula so be careful but it is easy to speared. It is relatively cheap comparing it to the other brand and it is on offer and discount most of the time. Ps: I’m using vitamin C and Q10 from another brand (Timeless) and they work pretty good but this one beats them all.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is my exfoliant that I'm comparing with Alpha H Liquid Gold (which I LOVE) - this is really nice and does what it says, the jury is still out for me regarding whether or not I'll repurchase because I like the added licorice extract in the Alpha H Liquid Gold Exfoliant. Good product though, use as instructed but take caution if you are sensitive to skincare changes.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I cannot say enough good things about this product!

After trying PC 2% salicylic acid I wasn't too impressed and thought twice about buying this before I saw someone selling it on ebay as an unwanted present - for the price I thought I may as well try it

I have dry, but acne-prone, reactive skin so was worried this may be a bit strong for me, but I think the gel formula is really good for that. I've only been using for a week but it has made my skin look so so much better, way softer, and makeup is applying much smoother - I've got so many compliments on it, including my boyfriend commenting how clear my skin looks first thing in the morning (as a background I never usually feel confident leaving the house without makeup, and recently I have had tonnes of closed comedones all over my face)

How I use this product: in the evening I clean my makeup off using bioderma micellar water, I then wash it with a gel wash from boots no.7, and then apply this once my skin is dry. As this stuff does leave a bit of a film behind I haven't been using a moisturiser on top, and was worried about it drying my skin out, but it hasn't at all. For the time being I am just using a moisturiser in the morning and my skin is soft and not dry at all.

I'm really hoping this product stays as effective as it is so far, as before this I was considering going to the doctors again for my skin, and was also trying tonness of different products which were simply drying my skin out. This has massively simplified my routine, I've noticed a huge difference in my skin (in a really short space of time), and not only that but loads of other people have too!

Definitely give this a try, its one of the best products I've tried in a long time (and I've tried a lot!!!) Its not the cheapest but one pump does my whole face so its worth the money for the results

I will update if i have any issues with it but I'm really hoping it stays my HG product!

I have tried the COSRX bha and the PC 2% BHA. I tried this alone and in conjunction with my PC BHA. Both strategies did nothing for me. I experienced no negative or positive effects. I would not repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I've been using this for five weeks and I'm getting fabulous results. I've been using it once or twice daily and haven't had any bad reactions with my sensitive skin. My skin tone is more even and the texture is improved. Fine lines are improving. Even my husband said my skin looks great. Now that my skin is looking better my foundation is working so much better for me. My skin doesn't exfoliate itself and can be dull, dry on the surface, and blotchy without chemical exfoliation. Manual exfoliation tends to irritate it. I was using PC Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10%AHA but I'm getting better results with this. Next time I'll try the 8% lotion if I don't stick with the gel. Either way I have to have this product now. I gotta keep getting these good results.

Great product! It leaves my skin soft and smooth and it doesn’t irritate whatsoever. A little goes a long way, I’ll definitely keep using this.