Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA (water-binding agents), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Hydroxyethylcellulose,), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben (all preservatives).

By far the best AHA out there and the amount for the price is great. I have been using it every night under my retinol serum for almost a year now and I still haven't run out of it. It absorbs very quickly so don't have to wait hours before applying a next product. keeps my skin clear, even and wrinkle free. No unnecessary fragrance and alcohol, very clean product. Will definitely repurchase it!!

I've been using this for at least 8 months now, 2-3 times a week. The container is large, 3.3. oz/100 ml and I haven't run out yet. Although it stings initially upon application, it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a sticky finish so I'm able to apply my serums over top immediately. I switched from the PC BHA products as my concerns are now anti-aging as opposed to acne control. I like the fact this has antioxidants and skin soothing ingredients. Given the relatively high price tag of PC products, especially for us Canadians with the exchange rate, I've also ordered and started using the Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% to see if it can substitute for this. Not sure I like it as well at this point. It leaves more of a sticky texture and has an unpleasant smell. I had read that lactic acid is gentler/less irritating than glycolic acid but I find this stings as much as the PC 8% AHA product. I am leaning towards reordering the PC product when it runs out, during one of the 20% off sales.

This makes my skin look brighter and clearer, and does not cause irritation for me at all. As with BHA, I recommend getting a sample before purchasing a full size, as AHA may irritate some.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been using for a few months now. I have sensitive skin, and if I use it too frequently it I experience some dryness and irritation. So it took some playing to find the perfect exfoliation schedule, but it was worth it. I use it at night, twice a week. I have had huge benefits from this product used in conjunction with the 2% BHA lotion and PC's Resist serum and Vitamin C booster. A MUST product.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have combination sensitive skin and milia. This helps refine skin texture and prevent milia. I have repurchased more than once but a bottle lasts a long time. I don't use it more than a few times a week and only at night. The pump dispenses more than I need (I only dab it on select areas of my face) and tends to crust over with the excess product, so you have to wipe it off. IMO, it's more effective and far less expensive (and less smelly and messy) than some other product lines, like BIologique Recherche P50 lotion et al.
This is one of my favorites from the PC line of products. I rotate use with BHA 2% liquid. I prefer not to layer products. In general, I am a fan of the PC line of BHA and AHA, less so of the retinoids, though I do use them also. In conjunction with BHA, this helps with purging.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a beautiful product! I have been using it every other night for probably a month now, but I can already say that I am starting to see wonderful results. I'm hoping for even more progress in the future. My skin is brighter, my acne scars are fading, and I generally don't find my skin to break out as much. I wasn't expecting this to do anything for the breakouts I have since I'm using BHA for that, but I do think that it has improved it too.

I wait for at least 20mins after application before going in with the rest of my products, and while BHA often has my face feeling stiff and dry during the wait after application, this doesn't. Instead my skin feels calm and hydrated, despite the fact that it is an acid!

Packaging is a big plus, very hygienic. Maybe the price is a bit too high but I think that this is fine for the product you're getting - I'd rather pay this for a 100ml bottle rather than a serum with a fourth of the product and double the price. The consistency is just slightly thicker than water, but is easily applied ot the skin.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros

Moisturizes
Smooths Rough Skin
Softens Skin

Cons

Heavy
Sticky

Best Uses

Bi-weekly Use
Weekly Use

I am in the process of sampling all the PC exfoliators to find the right ones for me, and recently used two high-concentration AHA's: Resist Weekly (10% AHA) and Skin Perfecting (8% AHA).

Both Resist Weekly and Skin Perfecting had similar properties when applied: viscous liquid texture spread easily without being too thin or drippy, inoffensive scent, tingled when applied, became slightly sticky when "dry". Both tangibly reduced the roughness of my skin overnight.

If I were to choose based on specifications, I would give a slight edge to Resist Weekly due to its higher level of anti-aging ingredients and slightly more AHA concentration. I think Skin Perfecting is a high enough AHA concentration that I would also consider it a weekly or bi-weekly treatment, and it might be better for those who need just a tad less AHA. Based on price, Skin Perfecting is the more budget friendly of the two. Frankly, based on my short-lived experience, I think it is difficult to go wrong with either.

I've been using this product for a few years now, and this, alternated with the 2% BHA gel and 1% retinol serum, keeps my skin clear and glowing. Usually I use one of these products and then give my skin a night or two off, especially if I notice any signs of redness or irritation. I also don't double up on products, I find that this increases the chances of irritation as well. This gel absorbs well, but it is slightly sticky until it dries. The air tight packaging and fragrance free formula is great. A bottle of this lasts me about a year. Prices are creeping up, though, my one gripe with Paula's Choice, but if you sign up for coupons, there are some decent ones that offset the cost a little bit. I do love this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Awesome stuff. Really smooths out your complexion and gives you a nice glow, and also really diminishes the look of sebaceous filaments (to the point that it's hard to tell if they're even there anymore!). It's pretty potent stuff and can burn if you use it too much/if you use it right after a hot shower, so I use it every second day.

Ive been using Drunk Elephant TLC framboos 12% AHA and while I did like the product I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative and I think I've done that. I've only been using the PC AHA for about a week so I don't think it's been long enough to give it a 5/5 but I can say that im very happy so far. I like that there is no fragrance, its easy to apply and it dries fairly fast with no stickiness so I can use it morning and night and layer serum, Spf and concealer over it during the day with no problems. I have dry skin that's prone to congestion and some break outs and so far it seems pretty happy, I had some roughness along my jawline that has smoothed out noticably and a couple red patches in the same area that have toned down. I love the amount of product you get for the price, the only downfall with PC products is I'm not a fan of the packaging.. I'm pretty picky and would prefer a more esthetically appealing look however the product works so I will just keep it in my medicine cabinet instead of having it on display with my prettier products. :P