Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA (water-binding agents), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Hydroxyethylcellulose,), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben (all preservatives).

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I'm so glad chemical exfoliants exist. When it comes to physical exfoliants such as those with beads, even the ones with micro-beads aimed for sensitive skin make me break out. Ever since deciding to use skincare products to treat acne 'scarring', this product has been the most important in terms of short-term visible differences. I haven't used it long-term yet but I'm excited to do so.

When starting out I made the mistake of using it twice everyday, which stressed out my skin too much. While my face was glowing, it was also breaking out. So I toned it down and used it once every three days, and thankfully the breakouts have cleared. So I recommend a bit of experimentation at first to figure out the right frequency to keep your skin happy. Once my skin gets used to it, I am planning on using this every second day.

The smell isn't great, but I'd prefer using a product that smells awful if it meant it didn't have unnecessary ingredients that irritates my skin.

A very good and effective product. I’m using it daily no irritation or dryness whatsoever. I’ve tried retain A as an anti-aging and a spot remover but it was way too harsh. This really gave me a smooth, pore-less skin. In addition, It lightened my stubborn spot. Now It is a runny formula so be careful but it is easy to speared. It is relatively cheap comparing it to the other brand and it is on offer and discount most of the time. Ps: I’m using vitamin C and Q10 from another brand (Timeless) and they work pretty good but this one beats them all.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is my exfoliant that I'm comparing with Alpha H Liquid Gold (which I LOVE) - this is really nice and does what it says, the jury is still out for me regarding whether or not I'll repurchase because I like the added licorice extract in the Alpha H Liquid Gold Exfoliant. Good product though, use as instructed but take caution if you are sensitive to skincare changes.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I cannot say enough good things about this product!

After trying PC 2% salicylic acid I wasn't too impressed and thought twice about buying this before I saw someone selling it on ebay as an unwanted present - for the price I thought I may as well try it

I have dry, but acne-prone, reactive skin so was worried this may be a bit strong for me, but I think the gel formula is really good for that. I've only been using for a week but it has made my skin look so so much better, way softer, and makeup is applying much smoother - I've got so many compliments on it, including my boyfriend commenting how clear my skin looks first thing in the morning (as a background I never usually feel confident leaving the house without makeup, and recently I have had tonnes of closed comedones all over my face)

How I use this product: in the evening I clean my makeup off using bioderma micellar water, I then wash it with a gel wash from boots no.7, and then apply this once my skin is dry. As this stuff does leave a bit of a film behind I haven't been using a moisturiser on top, and was worried about it drying my skin out, but it hasn't at all. For the time being I am just using a moisturiser in the morning and my skin is soft and not dry at all.

I'm really hoping this product stays as effective as it is so far, as before this I was considering going to the doctors again for my skin, and was also trying tonness of different products which were simply drying my skin out. This has massively simplified my routine, I've noticed a huge difference in my skin (in a really short space of time), and not only that but loads of other people have too!

Definitely give this a try, its one of the best products I've tried in a long time (and I've tried a lot!!!) Its not the cheapest but one pump does my whole face so its worth the money for the results

I will update if i have any issues with it but I'm really hoping it stays my HG product!

I have tried the COSRX bha and the PC 2% BHA. I tried this alone and in conjunction with my PC BHA. Both strategies did nothing for me. I experienced no negative or positive effects. I would not repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I've been using this for five weeks and I'm getting fabulous results. I've been using it once or twice daily and haven't had any bad reactions with my sensitive skin. My skin tone is more even and the texture is improved. Fine lines are improving. Even my husband said my skin looks great. Now that my skin is looking better my foundation is working so much better for me. My skin doesn't exfoliate itself and can be dull, dry on the surface, and blotchy without chemical exfoliation. Manual exfoliation tends to irritate it. I was using PC Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10%AHA but I'm getting better results with this. Next time I'll try the 8% lotion if I don't stick with the gel. Either way I have to have this product now. I gotta keep getting these good results.

Great product! It leaves my skin soft and smooth and it doesn’t irritate whatsoever. A little goes a long way, I’ll definitely keep using this.

By far the best AHA out there and the amount for the price is great. I have been using it every night under my retinol serum for almost a year now and I still haven't run out of it. It absorbs very quickly so don't have to wait hours before applying a next product. keeps my skin clear, even and wrinkle free. No unnecessary fragrance and alcohol, very clean product. Will definitely repurchase it!!

I've been using this for at least 8 months now, 2-3 times a week. The container is large, 3.3. oz/100 ml and I haven't run out yet. Although it stings initially upon application, it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a sticky finish so I'm able to apply my serums over top immediately. I switched from the PC BHA products as my concerns are now anti-aging as opposed to acne control. I like the fact this has antioxidants and skin soothing ingredients. Given the relatively high price tag of PC products, especially for us Canadians with the exchange rate, I've also ordered and started using the Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% to see if it can substitute for this. Not sure I like it as well at this point. It leaves more of a sticky texture and has an unpleasant smell. I had read that lactic acid is gentler/less irritating than glycolic acid but I find this stings as much as the PC 8% AHA product. I am leaning towards reordering the PC product when it runs out, during one of the 20% off sales.

This makes my skin look brighter and clearer, and does not cause irritation for me at all. As with BHA, I recommend getting a sample before purchasing a full size, as AHA may irritate some.