Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA (water-binding agents), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Hydroxyethylcellulose,), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben (all preservatives).

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My skin was soo perfect , but last few months
I had small red bumps that i can't get rid off
I used this product and it helped me alooot
I use one bump every morning the only con is my skin dry and it made it oily and shiny

Here's a link for $10 off for your first order

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been using for a few months now. I have sensitive skin, and if I use it too frequently it I experience some dryness and irritation. So it took some playing to find the perfect exfoliation schedule, but it was worth it. I use it at night, twice a week. I have had huge benefits from this product used in conjunction with the 2% BHA lotion and PC's Resist serum and Vitamin C booster. A MUST product.

To Read all 295 Reviews, Login or Join

Ive been using Drunk Elephant TLC framboos 12% AHA and while I did like the product I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative and I think I've done that. I've only been using the PC AHA for about a week so I don't think it's been long enough to give it a 5/5 but I can say that im very happy so far. I like that there is no fragrance, its easy to apply and it dries fairly fast with no stickiness so I can use it morning and night and layer serum, Spf and concealer over it during the day with no problems. I have dry skin that's prone to congestion and some break outs and so far it seems pretty happy, I had some roughness along my jawline that has smoothed out noticably and a couple red patches in the same area that have toned down. I love the amount of product you get for the price, the only downfall with PC products is I'm not a fan of the packaging.. I'm pretty picky and would prefer a more esthetically appealing look however the product works so I will just keep it in my medicine cabinet instead of having it on display with my prettier products. :P

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros

Moisturizes
Smooths Rough Skin
Softens Skin

Cons

Heavy
Sticky

Best Uses

Bi-weekly Use
Weekly Use

I am in the process of sampling all the PC exfoliators to find the right ones for me, and recently used two high-concentration AHA's: Resist Weekly (10% AHA) and Skin Perfecting (8% AHA).

Both Resist Weekly and Skin Perfecting had similar properties when applied: viscous liquid texture spread easily without being too thin or drippy, inoffensive scent, tingled when applied, became slightly sticky when "dry". Both tangibly reduced the roughness of my skin overnight.

If I were to choose based on specifications, I would give a slight edge to Resist Weekly due to its higher level of anti-aging ingredients and slightly more AHA concentration. I think Skin Perfecting is a high enough AHA concentration that I would also consider it a weekly or bi-weekly treatment, and it might be better for those who need just a tad less AHA. Based on price, Skin Perfecting is the more budget friendly of the two. Frankly, based on my short-lived experience, I think it is difficult to go wrong with either.

I've been using this product for a few years now, and this, alternated with the 2% BHA gel and 1% retinol serum, keeps my skin clear and glowing. Usually I use one of these products and then give my skin a night or two off, especially if I notice any signs of redness or irritation. I also don't double up on products, I find that this increases the chances of irritation as well. This gel absorbs well, but it is slightly sticky until it dries. The air tight packaging and fragrance free formula is great. A bottle of this lasts me about a year. Prices are creeping up, though, my one gripe with Paula's Choice, but if you sign up for coupons, there are some decent ones that offset the cost a little bit. I do love this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Awesome stuff. Really smooths out your complexion and gives you a nice glow, and also really diminishes the look of sebaceous filaments (to the point that it's hard to tell if they're even there anymore!). It's pretty potent stuff and can burn if you use it too much/if you use it right after a hot shower, so I use it every second day.

Earlier I have been using the 10% weekly resurfacing treatment - a really good product!! But due to the packaging - I wasn't using it that efficiently. The 8% AHA gel works better for me, and I get to use it more often due to the lower concentration. After taking a break from it (Paula's choice is costly to order from, especially from Denmark) i could really tell my skin had been missing out!
Love love love this product. I have a glow and my skin is so soft. I alternate between this, and the BHA 2% lotion and Retin-A 0,1%.

I've been using this every day for about 2 weeks now, and every time I put it on my face I feel a really nice tingling sensation that tells me it's working. I can actually feel every pore in my face reacting to this, in a good way. I was worried that the 8%AHA would make my skin red or leave it feeling tight, but my skin just feels prepped and ready for my moisturizer. I replaced my salicylic/retinol treatment with this gel and so far there have not been any breakouts. So far this is doing a good job of keeping my skin flake free and bright looking in the morning.

For me this was just meh. I did not get the exfoliation I was looking for. This was too mild for my aging sometimes acne prone skin. My skin is not too sensitive so for those who is, this might be great. I much prefer her CLEAR anti-redness exfoliating solution with 2% salicylic acid. That packs more of a punch and really does a great job of keeping my skin clear, exfoliated and reduces my post acne marks well and gives a great glow.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is truly amazing! I use it twice a day, after cleansing and toning. It's a lightweight gel that absorbs easily. Then I apply my serum and moisturizer on top. I've seen a difference. In Calgary, it's quite dry and cold during the winter, I find my skin gets more patchy as it gets colder. Regular exfoliation doesn't do the trick. Once I start using this, my skin feels a lot smoother and looks better too!