Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA (water-binding agents), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Hydroxyethylcellulose,), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben (all preservatives).

**I am reviewing the lotion version of this, could not find it anywhere**

Great packaging, not that much stinging, however super overpriced compared to what it actually is.. Glycolic acid is very cheap, why does it have to cost €33?? Also it's loaded with silicone, not great for layering, because it will pill up. One pump applied to my face and one pump applied to neck and chest, and still I get pilling if I try to layer it with ANYTHING. Definitely will not repurchase. I recommend acid products from The Ordinary, they are cheaper and more effective than PC.

To be fair, PC is a great brand because: trustworthy formulations (for sensitive skin), always fragrance free and not animal tested.
I just don't see any benefits from many of their products, sadly.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I cannot say enough good things about this product!

After trying PC 2% salicylic acid I wasn't too impressed and thought twice about buying this before I saw someone selling it on ebay as an unwanted present - for the price I thought I may as well try it

I have dry, but acne-prone, reactive skin so was worried this may be a bit strong for me, but I think the gel formula is really good for that. I've only been using for a week but it has made my skin look so so much better, way softer, and makeup is applying much smoother - I've got so many compliments on it, including my boyfriend commenting how clear my skin looks first thing in the morning (as a background I never usually feel confident leaving the house without makeup, and recently I have had tonnes of closed comedones all over my face)

How I use this product: in the evening I clean my makeup off using bioderma micellar water, I then wash it with a gel wash from boots no.7, and then apply this once my skin is dry. As this stuff does leave a bit of a film behind I haven't been using a moisturiser on top, and was worried about it drying my skin out, but it hasn't at all. For the time being I am just using a moisturiser in the morning and my skin is soft and not dry at all.

I'm really hoping this product stays as effective as it is so far, as before this I was considering going to the doctors again for my skin, and was also trying tonness of different products which were simply drying my skin out. This has massively simplified my routine, I've noticed a huge difference in my skin (in a really short space of time), and not only that but loads of other people have too!

Definitely give this a try, its one of the best products I've tried in a long time (and I've tried a lot!!!) Its not the cheapest but one pump does my whole face so its worth the money for the results

I will update if i have any issues with it but I'm really hoping it stays my HG product!

I have tried the COSRX bha and the PC 2% BHA. I tried this alone and in conjunction with my PC BHA. Both strategies did nothing for me. I experienced no negative or positive effects. I would not repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I've been using this for five weeks and I'm getting fabulous results. I've been using it once or twice daily and haven't had any bad reactions with my sensitive skin. My skin tone is more even and the texture is improved. Fine lines are improving. Even my husband said my skin looks great. Now that my skin is looking better my foundation is working so much better for me. My skin doesn't exfoliate itself and can be dull, dry on the surface, and blotchy without chemical exfoliation. Manual exfoliation tends to irritate it. I was using PC Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10%AHA but I'm getting better results with this. Next time I'll try the 8% lotion if I don't stick with the gel. Either way I have to have this product now. I gotta keep getting these good results.

Great product! It leaves my skin soft and smooth and it doesn’t irritate whatsoever. A little goes a long way, I’ll definitely keep using this.

By far the best AHA out there and the amount for the price is great. I have been using it every night under my retinol serum for almost a year now and I still haven't run out of it. It absorbs very quickly so don't have to wait hours before applying a next product. keeps my skin clear, even and wrinkle free. No unnecessary fragrance and alcohol, very clean product. Will definitely repurchase it!!

I've been using this for at least 8 months now, 2-3 times a week. The container is large, 3.3. oz/100 ml and I haven't run out yet. Although it stings initially upon application, it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a sticky finish so I'm able to apply my serums over top immediately. I switched from the PC BHA products as my concerns are now anti-aging as opposed to acne control. I like the fact this has antioxidants and skin soothing ingredients. Given the relatively high price tag of PC products, especially for us Canadians with the exchange rate, I've also ordered and started using the Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% to see if it can substitute for this. Not sure I like it as well at this point. It leaves more of a sticky texture and has an unpleasant smell. I had read that lactic acid is gentler/less irritating than glycolic acid but I find this stings as much as the PC 8% AHA product. I am leaning towards reordering the PC product when it runs out, during one of the 20% off sales.

This makes my skin look brighter and clearer, and does not cause irritation for me at all. As with BHA, I recommend getting a sample before purchasing a full size, as AHA may irritate some.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have combination sensitive skin and milia. This helps refine skin texture and prevent milia. I have repurchased more than once but a bottle lasts a long time. I don't use it more than a few times a week and only at night. The pump dispenses more than I need (I only dab it on select areas of my face) and tends to crust over with the excess product, so you have to wipe it off. IMO, it's more effective and far less expensive (and less smelly and messy) than some other product lines, like BIologique Recherche P50 lotion et al.
This is one of my favorites from the PC line of products. I rotate use with BHA 2% liquid. I prefer not to layer products. In general, I am a fan of the PC line of BHA and AHA, less so of the retinoids, though I do use them also. In conjunction with BHA, this helps with purging.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a beautiful product! I have been using it every other night for probably a month now, but I can already say that I am starting to see wonderful results. I'm hoping for even more progress in the future. My skin is brighter, my acne scars are fading, and I generally don't find my skin to break out as much. I wasn't expecting this to do anything for the breakouts I have since I'm using BHA for that, but I do think that it has improved it too.

I wait for at least 20mins after application before going in with the rest of my products, and while BHA often has my face feeling stiff and dry during the wait after application, this doesn't. Instead my skin feels calm and hydrated, despite the fact that it is an acid!

Packaging is a big plus, very hygienic. Maybe the price is a bit too high but I think that this is fine for the product you're getting - I'd rather pay this for a 100ml bottle rather than a serum with a fourth of the product and double the price. The consistency is just slightly thicker than water, but is easily applied ot the skin.