Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll be totally honest- I did not WANT to love this powder. There are certain things I can talk myself into spending extra money on, but powder has never been one of them. Powder's powder, right? Over $40 for any cosmetic excluding a top-of-the-line palette is usually not in my price range, but I had heard so much hype on this particular product, it became the rare exception.

This is a great powder, not a good one, not passable- GREAT. It mattifies without creating a powdery effect on the skin, kept my skin shine-free throughout very long and strenuous workdays, set my undereyes with zero creasing OR cakeyness, provided a tiny bit of additional coverage without turning orange, the list goes on.

I don't like recommending products that are bank-breakers unless I absolutely cannot find a flaw with its application, formula, etc. There are probably two dozen loose powders on the market (including drugstore) that will do just fine and might even be a close dupe for this, but I can't give a genuinely awesome product anything less than five lippies just because it's expensive.

Sigh. I do love this powder and although it's going to be a guilty pleasure, I do see myself repurchasing it because it has made my makeup routine just that much more seamless.

This powder is one of the best I've tried to make sure my concealer & foundation NEVER CREASE or BUDGE (I don't bake!)

It's very finely milled and just makes everything come together on my face. How come I haven't given it a 5/5? Well...

It makes my under-eyes look extremely dry...To the point where I can't use this daily since it's looks like I've put on a ton of makeup.

However: This powder is FANTASTIC (and probably the best) for flash/4K/HD photography as well as videos. So it's fantastic for screen actors!!

Purchase this powder if:
- You love an extreme matte look
- You are a screen actor
- Going to take some HD photos/videos with natural light & flash
- Just FED UP with creasing

Don't purchase if:
- You want a natural look (no makeup makeup!)
- have a dry eye area
- Have very mature skin (unless you want to look very dry!)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have 2 comment on this powder because I know how hard it is 2 find a really good setting powder if you suffer from oily skin & have large pores. I have been using MAC Blot powder for a long time. I would say that I go through about 3 compacts a month. That's entirely WAY 2 expensive of a habit 2 keep. I really haven't found anything better than the MAC Blot powder for my oily skin. Most other powders didn't provide enough oil control, plus they all looked very cakey on me. I need 2 use a little more powder than the average person because I am so oily. That in turn, can accentuate pores. So I never had a problem with the MAC Blot powder, but I am just tired of going thru it so fast. I love using the MAC 182 brush & my Coastal Scents deluxe Pink Kabuki brush. That's y my powders get eaten up so quick.

I decided 2 give Laura Mercier's powder a try due 2 all the rave reviews just about everywhere. MUA loves it, & so do other You Tubers. Even the Sephora customer service phone reps. suggest it. I know it is quite expensive, but since it is already loose, I don't have 2 grind away @ it with my kabuki brushes like I would with compact powder. I do like the amount of powder that you get. I tried it the other day, & I must say that I was quite impressed. I really didn't have 2 use that must @ all. I used less & got the same results that I normally do with the MAC Blot powder. This powder controls my oily skin pretty well & it camoflauges my pores. I actually think it makes my skin look smoother than the Blot powder. I highly reccomend this powder for anyone that wants smoother looking & matte skin. I don't think I'll be buying the MAC Blot powder anymore. I do love MAC products, but this loose setting powder is phenomenal. It really is worth the money. I use this powder 2 set my MUFE HD liquid foundation, & the combo. of the 2 2gether is fantastic. This is coming from someone that does not have perfect skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I am 28 years old and have never understood the hype re: translucent powder. However I am a total makeup youtube vid binge watcher and saw so many videos with this that I decided to suck it up and give it a go one day. WOW is all I can say. There are only a handful of products I am crazy about and I'm reviewing on them all tonight. This stuff is amazing. I have very oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin that freaks the eff out at any foreign substance. This does not break me out. Not only does it set my makeup and keep it looking perfect all day but #INSTAMODEL. This stuff gives you a Kylie Jenner level photo ha. It highlights beautifully -- it isn't cakey --If you are one of "those" (aka me) who have fine lines under eyes and hate that concealer under eyes tends to look too cakey so you forego it altogether---this is FOR YOU. Dust a good amount on over a liquid under eye concealer (it should look like you pretty much have flour on your face) and let it sit for about 5 mins (this is called "baking") -- be sure that as you are applying concealer/powder you are careful to not create any creases/lines because they will set if you do. SO--let it sit for about 5 mins then dust off all of the excess "flour" look with your brush and you are ready for your close up. Girl get it.

on 9/1/2015 3:49:00 PM

This powder was highly recommended by YT beauty gurus. I have oily skin, so "baking" or "cooking" actually doesn't work for me. Give the powder a few minutes and it soaks in on its own. Nothing to brush off. However, I really like this powder. I squirt MAC fix+ several times on my beautyblender, squeeze to distribute it, then dip into the powder and use only on the oily areas. I also only tore off part of the sticker that covers the holes so that a couple of holes are exposed. That way I don't waste any powder. I have the travel size, but it's because I currently have a small work area to do my makeup in.

on 2/8/2015 6:27:00 PM

I compared LM Loose Translucent to...

- MUFE HD Powder is whiter and chalkier
- MAC Prep and Prime has similar performance but where LM has a slightly beige cast, MAC is slightly white
- RMS "Un" Powder is absolutely invisible with the same performance as LM Loose Translucent (blurs imperfections, mattes shine)

LM Loose Translucent is a good powder but I prefer RMS or MAC's versions.

on 12/29/2012 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using this product for some years now. While I am normally skeptical about "translucent" cosmetics, as they generally appear far too light for my NC 35/40+ olive skin, this is truly a translucent powder. I use it year around to set my makeup, and I find that it's not only finely milled, but that it also works particularly well to set any extra foundation or concealer that I use over complexion flaws (I recommend the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage brush for this purpose as well - I have also reviewed that item). It never appears cakey or builds up on my face, but this might be due in part to the fact that I am careful not to apply an excessive amount, and use blotting papers to control shine for the rest of the day. One container of this powder lasts me a very long time, despite almost daily use, and I like the sturdy screw-top container...it can easily be thrown into my makeup bag for travel without any worries about spills, which I appreciate. Definitely a staple for me, and a product that I would recommend to anyone.

on 8/14/2011 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This powder is not translucent! I use it to pale down dark foundation and it works well for this. It seems to sit on top of my foundation and gives a very obviously powdery result. I love it for setting my concealer under my eyes and it keeps it there all day. Not worth the crazy price.

on 4/17/2017 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the best under eye and t-zone setting powder I have ever come across! I have tried many powders, including the Nyx HD translucent, which gave me a white cast when trying to bake with it! This does NONE of that, it melts into my makeup, eliminates shine without caking. It's super fine, have no color and doesn't mess up my foundation color either. I actually don't have to bake my concealer, just lightly set it with this powder. It's stupid expensive for some powder but it's SO GOOD! I don't have to use a lot with this, so it's going to last me for a long time. Love it!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the first loose powder I've tried, and it will be the last! It does a great job setting my t-zone, without changing the colour or finish of my foundation. Love!