Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I will always use this. This in conjunction with clindamyacin topical works wonders for me. I still get the occasional pimple but for the most part im clear. If you have insurance its worth it

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is always a life saver for me, everytime I try to exchange this (because it kinda dries me out) i start to break out again.
I just started using this again after pausing because I think my skin got too used to it.
Now my skin is clearing up again and I love this stuff. You just have to know what it works with, now I'm not even dry anymore!

This was one of my very first acne treatments when my breakouts turned from once-in-awhile to acne 24/7 on my face about 2 years ago. My dermatologist prescribed me the lowest dosage and after 3 months, no effect. She upped the dosage to the highest, and still no effect. My skin experienced lots of drying and general flakiness. It's nowhere near as bad as (later) when I tried Tazorac, but it was completely ineffective. I'm on Retin-A Micro now, and while it hasn't cleared my acne 100%, it's as close to clear as I can get without taking the Acutane route.

I used this in conjunction with minocycline and I have to say it did NOTHING! It just made my skin irritated, sore and oily but it did make it smooth so it gets one lippie for that.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using the 0.1% gel for the past year, and am still on the fence about it. When I first started using it in conjunction with antibiotics, my skin purged like crazy. It was extremely painful for the first few months, but I stuck with it, and after that, I started seeing results. My skin had never been clearer, even after going off the antibiotics! Lately I've been changing my skincare routine, and have been using it at nighttime to increase its effectiveness. I read that adapalene (Differin) helps the skin to better absorb clindamycin, a topical antibiotic, so I've been following it up with a clindamycin solution that costs $5 at my university clinic. Before, I was using Differin in the daytime, and felt that my Paula's Choice BHA 2% liquid was helping more than the gel. Seeing that it costs $40 for a refill, even if it does last for 6 months, I probably can find cheaper, more effective replacements.

on 9/26/2009 6:58:00 AM

I have battled acne ever since I was 13 or 14 yrs old. BCP and Differin keep the situation ok.

I just find it difficult to commit to using Differin as adviced: wash your face in the evening, then wait 20 mins untril your skin is totally dry. IŽd love to apply it straight after washing my face, but it might cause irritation. Sigh.

During the first few weeks of using this it caused flakiness on my nose.

Now, I must admit my skin is better and clogged pores smaller and fewer.

Give it 3 months at least before you judge it!

Will use this as long as necessary, into my olden age?

Hi, I started getting acne in my early teens, when I broke out badly my junior year my parents (finally) decided that I should go to a dermatologist. I was prescribed this and duac. My acne massively improved, though I still broke out some during periods. Now that I'm in my 20s, the use of of duac and differin became too drying to use twice daily for my skin. My dermatologist now has me using differin .3 twice daily, and duac only at night.

on 6/10/2009 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been suffering from mild cystic acne for years and this is actually the only product that has ever helped me. I've been using it nonstop for 9 years and it's still the only product that doesn't dry out my skin and really helps reducing cysts. I use it at night, on my whole face, and if I have a cyst (I usually do, especially in winter), I put some extra cream/gel on it. The cysts don't disappear overnight, but the gel really helps reducing them and since it doesn't dry out my skin too much (compared to e.g. BPO which doesn't work that well for me), there's also no scar. I sometimes have a red spot for a while, but my skin generally heals very slowly, so I think the gel has nothing to do with it. I can definitely recommend it. It's a prescriptive, though. The price is okay, a bit on the expensive side, but it's worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I don't know abt the price because it's covered by my insurance but it works. A couple of months ago I started breaking out. Badly! And nothing that had worked before was helping! I asked my doc for an antibiotic (eryacne) and differin which I had read lots of good things about.
It has helped to clear up the majority of the breakouts and my skin has got better. It's not completely clear but it's getting there. The only downside is that it makes my skin really flaky and sort of dehydrated. I try to use it every night but I do have to watch out and stop for a day or two every now and then because if I don't my face starts to look raw even though my skin isn't really all that sensitive.
I'd buy it again.

on 5/8/2009 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have used this off and on for the last couple of years. I think this would work for someone that has mild skin problems, which mine weren't. It did a good job and was not in the least bit irritating but wasn't strong enough for my cystic acne.