beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 8/2/2009 10:50:00 AM

I am mystified by the hype for this product. Yes, it's a nice makeup sponge. But it's a SPONGE and makeup sponges are supposed to be disposable - not for convenience, but for hygiene. Google sponges and bacteria: no matter if the sponge is natural or synthetic, it harbors and grows enormous colonies of bacteria. You cannot significantly reduce the number of bacteria in a sponge by hand washing it. You can kill roughly 99% of the bacteria in a sponge by microwaving it, running it through a full cycle in your diswasher, or soaking it in bleach (not quite as effective and the microwave or dishwasher). None of these methods work for makeup sponges. They should be washed after each use and THROWN AWAY after 3 or 4 uses. The fact that this sponge is meant to be used wet makes it even more unhygienic. Makeup sponges can be great tools, but they are hardly environmentally friendly. That includes this one. At a ridiculously high price, Beautyblender is offering us an oxymoron: "Long lasting makeup sponge." I'd think twice before using it around my eyes. Use at your own risk.

on 10/27/2009 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bid farewell to my MAC foundation brushes over a year ago....okay I still have them and use them for other functions...but I will never use them for foundation again!!! My beautyblender is my most prized make up tool and I will never be without....

It is pricey, but it will last forever as long as you take care of it. Which means you must wash it often, but you probably didn't need me to tell you that. All make up tools must be washed in order to maintain cleanliness.

Definitely this girl's best friend!

on 3/3/2010 7:04:00 PM

These work great. I like it better than a foundation brush. I dampen it slightly and wring it out. I dot the foundation on my face with my finger and then stipple with the sponge. I find that this method works best because if you dip a brush or sponge into the foundation it absorbs too much. I very lightly go over my face with the Sonia Kashuk highlighting brush( Mac 187 dupe) for a nice airbrushed look. I wash it after each usage with either the cleanser, soap or just hot water.

on 3/22/2010 3:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

HG status, for sure - I use this product every single time I apply makeup, and would recommend it to anyone, even if they only apply a small amount of concealer under the eyes...I resisted buying this sponge for a loooong time, thinking it was merely an over-priced gimmick. Well, I was dead wrong. I dampen the Beauty Blender slightly and use it to blend my concealer and foundation (both of which I initially apply with a brush) for an air-brushed look that is far superior to the application that I used to achieve with my fingers alone. In fact, I used to avoid wearing foundation because I was never satisfied with the results until I started using this sponge. The sponge's unique shape allows you to reach the most difficult angles of the face, especially the area between the nose and the inner corner of the eyes, where foundation and concealer is often essential. I recommend buying this product in the 2 sponge set with the cleanser (which is excellent as well), since it is a better buy. I clean my sponge every time I use it - and despite having used the same sponge for several months now, it still looks brand new. The cleanser also works wonderfully for makeup brushes. This product is a must-have for anyone who is particular about their foundation application! Well worth the price, since it allows you to make better use of your foundation and concealer, and it lasts.

on 5/6/2010 1:09:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used this with Revlon Colorstay. Without the sponge, the application looked dry and lifeless. Using the sponge damp, my foundation looked dewy and much more even on my face.

However, I wouldn't buy this again because it's expensive AND I get similar results by dampening a better quality wedge sponge (like SDM's Quo brand). I run it under the tap, squeeze out as much water as I can, then apply foundation by stippling it on. Works amazingly! Though it doesn't have Blender's egg shape, the wedge works fine.

on 6/20/2010 3:35:00 PM

I was very skeptical about this little pink sponge. I taught it was just a sponge! In my opinion It has exceeded my expectations. I have always applied my liquid foundation with my fingers, I don't really care for brushes. The beauty blender gives me the best finish for my liquid foundation. I use the sponge damp, I think it gives a more natural flawless finish. I use it with MUFE mat velvet plus. It looks as if I am not wearing foundation. It washes well. I am really pleased with the pink sponge. I will repurchase again. On days when I don't use it I can really tell the difference.

on 9/14/2010 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: Feb 2011 Right after I wrote this review, I began using the sponge more on its side, using more of the pointy end, rather than at the very bottom fat part. I like it even better this way. I still don't find using the very top point all that useful though. It seems like if I need to touch up something that tiny, then a small brush works best. I'm still very much in love with this tool. It makes applying flawless foundation so quick!

I still find it most useful for use with liquid foundation. That being said; I do own Boots #7 mousse foundation, (which is awesome) and the BB makes a nice application, but it does not fit down into the jar opening, and probably picks up (wastes) more than dipping in a fd brush or using fingers. It also does not speed up the application process of mousse. However, the finished look is great, and probably helps guard about having a too heavy appearance, which can happen pretty easily with the mousse.

Bottom line, for speed, ease of application, and finished results, it, for me, is still most useful for liquid foundation., I did not think it useful at all for stick foundation (shiseido) and do not own any cream fd to try it with.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Love this! It makes applying liquid foundation so quick! Its virtually foolproof so long as the sponge is damp for use. My makeup looks seamless with so little effort. Plus, it makes the product go a lot further than a brush or even fingers. I've become smitten with Guerlain's Lingerie De Peau, and one depression of the pump onto the back of my hand does my entire face with this sponge. I start out by putting concealer under my eyes (Cle de Peau), then dip the larger end of the sponge in the little puddle of foundation which I've squirted on the back of my other hand., and just bounce it everywhere quickly. Under my eyes I do go over the concealer with the sponge, but don't concentrate on the area. I rarely use the pointed end of the egg

I've tried rubbing the pointed end onto the concealer stick, and applying it to my under eye area, but that does not seem to give any better results than just patting the concealer on with my finger first.

I did use this a couple of times with Shiseido's stick foundation, and it can be done, but it takes a lot longer. Maybe I was not doing it right, but it seemed to defeat the purpose of stick foundation.

I have not tried the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge, mainly due to reading several reviews saying how much extra product the sponge absorbs. It did not seem to be a cost savings to me to buy a less expensive sponge, if it was going to make me go through my foundation faster.

As others have said, the cleanser is ridiculously expensive. and the sponge needs to be clean or it doesn't work correctly. I like the way the cleanser smells, and the convenience of the dispenser bottle, but, when this bottle runs out, I plan to try Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser (as per another poster's suggestion) or some sort of more reasonably priced product to wash it with.

When I first got this, I seriously wondered what the hell I just wasted my money on.

It just looked so tiny and.. nothing special - for the price.

However, this is just amazing. I use this to apply my tinted moisturizer and I use the top of the sponge for my concealer.

Make sure you run this under water before using it with your foundation.

It litterally takes me about 3 minutes (maybe less) to achieve a flawless application (and I have less then perfect skin)

I hope they never discontinue this.

on 10/10/2010 7:51:00 PM

In my endless quest to find the perfect foundation application, I've realized that brushes can't achieve that flawless texture - at least not w/full-coverage liquids or creams. So I gave the old standard white
wedge sponges a second look. Dampened, and used with the lightest stippling touch, I've been able to achieve full coverage with a porcelain finish. The only problem was the hard lines they made at the edges - which I'd then have to blend out. Pain in the... Enter the BeautyBlender. I ordered it online, but couldn't wait, so I ran out and bought the blue Sonia Kashuk dupe. That proved way too firm and dense (like the yellow Sephora dupe). The two of those actually hurt my face bc I couldn't stipple lightly. No worries, bc I had heard the pink BeautyBlender was much softer. In truth, it is softer than the dupes - about the same as my wedges. However, not as dense as my white wedges - and very porous. That's my big problem with the BeautyBlender - too porous, so the finish is too sheer. And I didn't want to use more than 3 layers of foundation bc it soaks up so much product (and yes, I only used it damp). Day by day, I did side-by-side comparisons, and the BeautyBlender just couldn't beat my wedges. In terms of coverage and texture, I'm sticking w/wedge sponges. For reference, I used EL DW and Nars Sheer Glow in thin layers on top of each other.

If it was made of the same dense, but soft, material as my wedges, but in that ingenious egg shape for seamless application, it would be the HG to end all HG's. Unfortunately, for all the hype, the BeautyBlender turned out to be the biggest disappointment of all the makeup products/tools I've ever purchased. I've seen it work well on youtube w/MAC Full Coverage - but that's an entirely different texture than anything I use - and mind you, that's on youtube. It's expensive, yes, but I'd gladly pay anything to achieve a flawless finish. This didn't come close - and it soaked up too much product.

UPDATE: I continue trying every possible application with this tool. To date, the only use for which it's fairly effective is pressing Powderflage into the corner of my eyes. Aside from that, standard white sponges trump this gimmick. I have no idea how the BeautyBlender is rated so well. I just think it's the biggest gimmick ever. The pink color, the shape, the hype - all very seductive; but the actual finished product it leaves is mediocre at best. Nothing a wedge sponge can't do - and a wedge sponge does it for 1/30 the cost and gives much better results.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my first review on MUA but I just have to share how much i love the beautyblender. First of all, the trick is to use it properly. It may look like an ordinary sponge but you cannot and i mean CANNOT apply foundation by swiping it on with the BB. You have to bounce the foundation on. I suggest you watch the youtube videos to get it right. Second, I find that it works best with cream or powder foundation. I just dip the BB into my MAC mineralize foundation or my Bare Escentuals foundation and it gives the most flawless finish. As for liquid foundation or tinted moisturizers, I find the beauty blender works best if i dot the foundation on my face with my fingers and use the BB to blend it out. This is the one item that has replaced my foundation brush and concealer brush.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools