beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.5

on 3/8/2008 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is definitely a good investment for those who prefer to use sponges over brushes. The material it's made out of is very different from regular disposable sponges--- it has a velvety feel that reminds me a little bit of memory foam. It fits nicely in my hand and when wet, it feels very light. It leaves me with a nice finished look, almost airbrushed.

How I use it - I wet the sponge and squeeze it til it's damp, then I give it a few sprays of MAC fix+. I put foundation on the back of my hand, dip my beauty blender into the foundation and use the stippling "bouncing" method against my skin. I set it with loose powder. Sometimes I apply my foundation with my MAC 190 first, then finish by buffing my damp, Fix+ sprayed beautyblender afterwards. Either way, I love the way I look afterwards.

I have yet to try it dry.

on 5/3/2008 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

WOW... i LOVE this...
i also waited for the longest time because I was skeptical about having to pay 35 CAD for the sponge and the cleanser. but the result is BEAUTIFUL! I was using bobbi brown's foundation brush before I got this. And this sponge totally WINS in terms of giving you just the right amount of coverage with your foundation and as well as blending it SO naturally that you dont seem like you have makeup on!

I have always been searching to get my makeup on my face without people knowing. (I just hate it when people look at you with raised eyebrows and ask "do you always wear foundation?".. cuz when that happens, that means you are wearing too much)

And now, I have found the answer! When I put on my makeup and asked my boyfriend if i have foundation on, he said NO! (and hes pretty observant about these things) he just said i had beautiful skin but he couldnt see ANY traces of makeup!

im SO EXCITED to put on my makeup every morning now!

its so great to look so naturally beautiful!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I caved to reviews and purchased the duo sponges w/cleanser packet from Amazon for $30. BTW cleanser is already gone which is not good also sponges become misshapen while using though haven't noticed any blotchiness with application and it reshapes itself once rinsed out. Despite this I love the finish and would buy again.

PROS:
Flawless, natural look every time
Great with cream concealer and MMU
The shape is genius, picks up and distributes well
The texture and shape feel great on skin
Results are nearly flawless on my fine lines
Stipples very well

CONS:
Expensive
Not easily cleaned without their cleanser
Bacteria buildup
No creative housing for this, I leave it in the pkg
Over-absorbs makeup....

UPDATE 9/6/10: Cleans great w/castille soap like Dr. Bronner

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Hello my beauties, and fellow makeup lovers! :-)
I actually read reviews on this for the longest time, and had many mixed feelings about spending this much on a little sponge. After YEARS of trying dozens of brands and never being able to quite find foundation that matched me well, didn't oxidize too badly, didn't turn me into an oil slick, AND felt lightweight on my combo/oily skin, I finally found what I was looking for in the wonderful world of MUFE HD foundation and supermatte setting powder. BUT, even after finding the perfect foundation/powder combo, I STILL couldn't get the *application* I was looking for - something sheer and beautiful that looked like my own skin, but flawless and airbrushed. I tried EVERYTHING - applying makeup with my fingers, makeup brushes, wedge sponges, etc. It was like I could tell that one day I would really fall in even deeper love with my foundation IF I could find something decent to apply it with. Enter BB sponge. I ordered the set of 2 sponges earlier this year, & without looking at any real directions (LMAO), I used it dry to blend in my foundation. Ehh - I still wasn't moved, and didn't use the sponge again for a few months. One day this week, I finally realized that I needed to take the time to look at videos of OTHER ppl using the sponge to see if maybe there was some trick to it other than what I thought there was. Ahhhh, stippling IS easier when you use the sponge slightly damp. All of a sudden, it clicked. I used the sponge just as I had seen on other makeup gurus' blogs, and was sooo excited. It goes without saying that this sponge probably should be banned from anyone EVER trying to use it dry. You will NOT get the same glorious effect & may even give up on it on the spot like I almost did. Once it's wet, it will expand, and once you ring all the excess water out, it leaves the perfect oval-bottomed surface to blend your foundation until it's dreamy. Maybe it's the kid in me, but my guilty pleasure was bouncing the sponge along my face like a ball. It was soo soft, and I was having so much fun with it, I almost couldn't stop myself from blending! LoL My foundation didn't look overdone. It was light, airy, just right. PLUS the fact that the sponge was slightly damp, almost seemed to have an unexpectedly added bonus - the moisture from the damp sponge seemed to make the foundation LAST LONGER, because it hydrated my skin, thus, perhaps limiting the need for my skin to produce EXCESS oils. Isn't that something? The only downside to this would be the price - and just maybe the potential for each sponge to have a limited shelf life in your makeup bag. there's only so many times anyone can keep this from tearing considering you have to wet it and ring it (for best results) to use it, wet it and ring it repeatedly to clean it - both of which you would have to do daily if you use it that often. So, these are wayyyy too expensive to have to be replaced as often as you probably will need to. But as far as product performance, it really does do what it is supposed to. It can, and WILL transfer anyone into a living doll! That is, once you figure out what to do with it. ;-)

on 1/1/2013 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I finally caved in to buy this product. For you girls in Canada don't buy it from Sephora because the price compared to sites online is insane! I got mine off cherrycuture.com. It's site is great! I also love NYX products so I got a bunch of those plus my beauty blender for much cheaper than in Canada. Overall this is for sheer coverage so I wouldn't recommend this to those who like or need full coverage. However for those looking for a sheer to light medium natural coverage I'd most definitely recommend this! Happy shopping.

on 2/7/2013 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

If you're looking to create a more natural look for everyday use, this is the product for you! I've used kabuki brushes and stippling motions for a long time now, only to realize that I would use more product all over my face and make it look cakey.

Using the BB with any foundation will help to thin it out while still reaping the benefits of the foundation. I use this with foundation then follow up with concealer in problem areas.

This is also great with powder for under the eyes. When I remember to do this, I notice my undereye concealer doesn't cake up all day. I've never experienced that before!

I wash this with my daily face wash every time I use it and then once a week, I use dish washing soap. Keep in mind that heavy duty soaps will remove more bacteria but will also remove the pink color.

Lastly... don't let kids around this fuzzy ball of fun. They'll dig their nails in it and poke holes in your expensive new sponge...

on 3/10/2013 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Okay, I’m a believer now! I’d been using an e.l.f. brush to apply my liquid foundation, and it worked well, but my foundation looked a bit heavy.

So, I decided to take a ride on the Beauty Blender bandwagon, and that rather odd bright pink egg-shaped sponge gives me the best finish I’ve ever achieved with liquid foundation.

First, I apply my Hourglass primer, and while that’s “setting,” I mist my Beauty Blender with water. Then I dab foundation on my face, and quickly bounce the Beauty Blender over the foundation to blend. The Beauty Blender applies the foundation rather sheerly; my skin doesn’t look “flawless,” but it doesn’t look “made-up,” either. There are no “seams” or streaks visible, and that’s exactly the kind of finish I want.

I got my Beauty Blender on eBay for under $20; that seems like a fairly reasonable price, since I expect my Beauty Blender to last for a long time.

When it does eventually wear out, I’ll definitely buy another.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

How did I ever apply foundation or concealer without this sponge! I'll admit, I was skeptical that it would be worth $20, decided to purchase a knock off from Ulta which made me even more skeptical (Ulta's was firm, not pliable and nothing like the real thing). Cherry Culture had a 20% off everything sale so I decided to purchase one and I'm waiting for another sale so I can purchase a 2nd one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! It blends my foundation and concealer into my skin like it has been airbrushed. I have not had any issues with concealer settling into the fine lines under my eyes which has always been an issue for me, no other tool could correct it like the beauty blender. The pointy end is perfect for under the eyes and around the nose and the rounder end helps stipple foundation perfectly into the skin. I cannot say enough about how much I like this product. Save your money on foundation brushes and switch to this sponge, it made a HUGE difference on how I apply makeup.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought the Beauty Blender from their website two for twenty something dollars. There are other less expensive copies but for me this works best. My foundation and primer goes on flawlessly—worth the money! I no longer use anything else but this.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I tried few generic brands which didn't work me for so I finally gave it a go to purchase the real deal. It gives me flawless results, truly amazing. The downfall was when I washed it the first time, the bottom flat part started ripping apart which was quiet disappointing. And I'm not too pleased how expensive this thing is. I'll only repurchase during sale/coupon.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools