beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 5/20/2014 4:55:00 PM

Ladies, meet the holy grail of makeup sponges. I kept hearing about how great this product is and it wasn't until I tried it out myself, I realized all the buzz is well worth it. I use the beauty blender to apply my Laura Mercier foundation. It helps cover up my acne 10 times more when I apply my foundation with the beauty blender and it doesn't look caked on. I always get compliments on how great my skin looks. The price is definitely a little steep, but if you care after it (wash it daily and keep it in a little baggy) it should last you a few months.

on 5/12/2014 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is going to be the new thing I can't live without. I was skeptical about it at first, as I'm sure most people reading this are, but man, it's brilliant. Before, I used to use my fingers to apply foundation as I hate the sheer coverage of brushes (I need lots of coverage), and the waste of sponge wedges. My husband bought me this for a gift, and I'm hooked. It spreads foundation on perfectly! I mean, what's the point of buying expensive foundation to apply it so it looks all streaky and non-natural? The BB makes it look like I'm wearing nothing, while giving me full coverage of all my nasty bits.

The only thing that sucks is the price, especially considering I've heard they wear out in as little as 3 months. And cleaning it is a drag too. I didn't buy the cleanser, as I thought my First Aid Beauty face cleanser (the white tube) would basically do the job. It does! And I think any gentle face soap would do as well (Cetaphil, Eucerin, etc.) I think it's definitely worth it, though, despite these drawbacks, although I will try to Real Techniques dupe when this one wears out to see if I can save some money.

EDIT: wanted to add something else I discovered. When you dispense your foundation (I do it on the back of my hand), don't pour very much, and when you dip the sponge in, use a tiny amount. You'd be surprised how little you need as the sponge does all the work and spreads it very well. The more you use, the more you'll end up wasting. And you can always add more as you go!

on 5/6/2014 11:12:00 AM

I've tried some of Beauty Blender dupes (CVS, Target, RT, Sephora brand) and was never overly impressed. I watched a lot of videos on application processes and read reviews on tons of fakes. The other day I was in the middle of a giant Sephora shopping spree and tossed the Beauty Blender in their mid-way, thinking that I'd spent at least $20 on fakes trying to like them, I might as well spend the $20 on the real thing and see how it compares. There really isn't a comparison. None of the dupes feel this soft or are this lightly squishy. None of them expand as much as the real one when when. Finally, none of them give me close to the look that the real Beauty Blender does. My MAC foundation looks invisible on my skin but still covers all my redness and acne, which is pretty much a miracle. I like MAC but they aren't exactly known for the natural look. I soak it til it expands, squeeze out the water, then roll it up in a hand towel and press it. Then I put my foundation on the back of my hand and dip the fat end of the Beauty Blender in the makeup and just dab/bounce it all over my face. I also used the pointy end with my MAC concealer under my eyes, over Benefit's Stay Don't Stray, and the near disappearance of my dark circles is another miracle. Again I put the concealer on my hand, dip the pointy end in this time, and just dab/bounce it all over my underye area.

I don't think it's overpriced. I've spent well over $20 on nice brushes and I've only liked one of them even remotely as much as the Beauty Blender. I do have to use more product which is the only drawback. I thought I'd use less given that the point of getting the Beauty Blender wet is that it doesn't absorb as much of your makeup as a brush, but I had to use 2 pumps of my foundation where I normally use one or just under one pump. I did NOT need the extra pump for more coverage over redness, I simply needed another pump just to hit the 2nd half of my face. I didn't find myself going over the same spot more than once for coverage but I still needed a 2nd pump.

was hesitating whether to buy this or not since it's kinda on a pricey side but let me tell this: it's amAzing make up application is so much easier now and it give it such a flawless look loving it!!!

on 4/25/2014 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I would definitely recommend this for a natural look and for great coverage.

In my own experience, I've actually used less bb cream overall since the beautyblender enables a larger coverage area compared to a brush. With the brush I would feel that some areas didn't have enough coverage, and thus use more bb cream. But with the beautyblender, I feel that I can cover more areas of my face for less, possibly because it blends everything evenly and provides a very natural finish. However, overall I found that it did take a lot longer with the beautyblender than a brush, due to the size of the sponge, pouncing takes longer than swirling a brush on your face and it takes some maneuvering to pounce the product into hard to reach places..

On the other hand, I use more loose powder with the beauty blender as when i dab the beautyblender into the loose powder it would take a lot with it. With the brush, I could just tap the some powder back into the container, but with the beautyblender, I find it quite difficult to dislodge loose powder from the sponge.

But, I do very much like the natural coverage of the beautyblender that a brush just cannot achieve. With a brush I always find that I end up with not enough or too heavy a coverage, resulting in a caked on appearance. But the beautyblender provides a flawless natural coverage to the point where it looks like I don't have any make-up on at all!

on 4/1/2014 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've always used brushes (the ELF Flat Top) for my foundation, because they're sanitary and easy to use. However, upon hearing so many raves for the beauty blender, I decided to give it a go anyways, despite the potential sanitary issues that could arise. It was amazing. It was so quick and easy, and the finish for my Estee Lauder Double Wear was phenomenal... so much better than any brush could achieve.

[ PROS ]
- Very easy to use
- Provides an amazingly natural finish
- Can be used to sheer out a heavy foundation
- Can be used to build up a very sheer foundation
- Great for patting concealer onto the under-eye area

[ CONS ]
- Very pricey
- A pain to clean (it must be cleaned very thoroughly or mold could appear!)
- Takes at least a day to fully dry (I have two that I use in rotation)

I usually use Dr. Bronner's soap bar to clean my beauty blenders and there have been no issues. In addition to this, I soak them in rubbing alcohol before I squeeze it out as much as I can and leave it to dry -- this is in hopes of preventing bacterial growth. To those who have had issues with mold, I suggest letting the beauty blender dry on top of a container in an area with good air flow.

While pricey, I really love this little tool and even the closest dupe (Real Techniques) does not feel quite the same (in terms of how it feels when I'm using it -- finish is quite similar). I will continue to repurchase :).

on 3/24/2014 12:29:00 AM

OBSESSED! I swear by this little pink sponge! the best brush I own couldnt do as well as this! FLAWLESS http://flikapp.com/flik/2TTydxe9

This is such a miracle product! It took me a long time to finally purchase one because who in their right mind would spend this much on a sponge. But my curiosity got the better of me because I would always see makeup artists and celebrities recommending this tool for applying makeup.
The first time I used it I immediately fell in love. It helps my undereye concealer not to become cakey. It also gives my base makeup a natural finish. I really love the fact that it gives a sheer and natural finish to my makeup. It's so convenient to use when placing makeup in the grooves of my face (undereyes, nose edges and mouth corners). Another thing I love is that it's so much faster to apply makeup compared to makeup brushes.

on 3/8/2014 10:09:00 PM

Hg status. I bought this last year after hearing all the hype on YouTube. I can't believe I used those little white makeup sponges!!! I have 2 beauty blenders, one for a backup. The one I use daily has developed little tears and I'm not sure if it's from getting wet and expanding so much, or if that is normal for this product. I use loreal true match foundation and nyx hd photogenic concealer both of which are flawless in a flash. I clean mine once a week with olive oil and dish soap. I just don't like buying "specifically made for this" kind of cleaners when I can use things around my home! I think some people are unsure of how to use this correctly and I have seen people use it dry. To get maximum power from this, USE IT DAMP!! I will buy forever and ever and will be very sad if I have to go back to not beauty blender sponges :)

on 2/15/2014 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had such high expectations for this product after seeing all the YouTube-clips and reading the good reviews, so when I finally purchased the product, I got really disappointed. I really did not notice any difference to other sponges. At least for me it did not work at all. I will therefore keep using a brush ;) only way to get a beautiful base!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools