beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 12/23/2008 11:52:00 AM

I am now on my 2nd BeautyBlender sponge and would not dream of putting on foundation without it. I've tried em all..."foundation brushes" , all types of sponges, fingers, etc ...nothing works as well as this little pink wonder.

I've read reviews complaining about the $20 price ( a good foundation brush will cost you $30 & up) just remember you get what you pay for in this world. And no it won't last forever, & neither did my last car. They do eventually become stained but they don't crumble; in fact I still have my original sponge I keep for emergencies & travel. If you have tried this sponge and don't like it, then you are not using it correctly, simple as that!

First: You must wet the sponge... it can't be use dry!!!

Second: You need to squeeze out most of water so that the sponge is damp....not dripping wet!!!!

Third: Put a small amount of foundation on the back of your hand and lightly dab the sponge into the foundation (using the large end for forehead, cheeks, small end for around nose & eyes) then apply the foundation using the pouncing motion described in the instructions and the Beautyblender website.

When used correctly, you can hide imperfections with a second light pouncing over those areas while leaving the rest of your face with the lighter coverage that gives a flawless no-makeup look. You end up with as close to an airbrushed look as possible without the airbrush.

As to care, if you wash this sponge after each use and set it out to dry throughly, it should last from 6-9 months. The only problem I've experienced was small dark areas that formed after serveral months of use. I soon realized I was not allowing it to dry out prior to storing it. So now I let it dry completely prior to putting it in a drawer/case. Oh, and don't be tempted to use bleach to get rid of dark spots, it will "melt" the sponge.

I have also read reviews complaining that this sponge waste makeup...Not True. In fact, brushes & fingers waste more foundation than this sponge. Just remember to use a light touch when dabbing the sponge into the foundation... don't slather it with foundation!

To sum it up....this is the best foundation applicator next to a professional airbrush setup, which by the way will cost you several hundred dollars...not $20!

on 10/31/2013 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Not for me.

Ridiculously overpriced. Impossible to keep sanitary and clean. I know some people love it and that's fine but I don't.

I know people will say just wash it in warm water/alcohol/various soaps. I work in a hospital and there is a reason hospitals and medical facilities simply do NOT use any type of sponges for anything, unless they are disposed of immediately. Sponges are a breeding ground for bacteria of all sorts and there is no way you can ensure it is completely disinfected unless maybe you microwaved it with sanitizer. Really.I don't feel the results are worth all that fuss.

Second, I prefer to use a smaller triangular wedge or my Sephora Airbrush Brush. It looks way more natural and doesn't leave that weird sponge-y texture the beautyblender does. Also I can toss my little wedge after using it several times without spending a fortune on a new one. A pack of 20 will set me back $1.00 Although this is wasteful so I prefer the brush. The brush can easily be washed in detergent soaps or with alcohol to sanitize. I find the beautyblender just soaks up all the foundation even if I use it damp (and leaving it even slightly damp creates a lovely breeding party for bacteria). Takes too much time to blend around face compared to my brush which takes less than 2 minutes and looks 100x better.

All in all I think this is just a marketing gimmick, like La Mer cream only instead of them charging you $200 for a tub of Vaseline - some company is charging you $20 for nothing more than a 5 cent sponge. Funny enough, my friend worked in a sponge factory and it costs them even less than 5 cents to make something similiar. Complete rubbish, save your money.

on 10/18/2007 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

General description of me: I am NC15, with auburn hair, brown eyes, and freckles. I am a bit gullible, and am easily suckered in by anything in the beauty world that is new, exclusive, and often, expensive. I like shiny things, and like a chicken, I can't resist them. This isn't shiny, but it was expensive, so naturally, I wanted it. Of course, I couldn't find it on a swap list, so I forked over the $$
Description of product: It arrived in a sealed, clear plastic container, like a pink egg from another world, sent here in it's own little time capsule. My little pink egg had some rough traveling. Its package cruelly dug into it, making two odd dents. I found this disturbing and was concerned for the welfare of my expensive pink egg. I decided to take out the little packet of cleanser included with it to give the egg a bath and hope it would be reborn egg shaped instead of squished. After a bath and drying time overnight, the egg was reborn into its original unblemished state, and I was finally able to try it out. I don't like delayed gratification, but the pink egg was worth it. Despite feeling like something of a sucker for paying that much for what is basically a makeup sponge, I quickly got over it and put the little pink egg to work for its money's worth.
Effects of this product: I first used it only for blending foundation. It works quite well for this purpose, better than a typical sponge, and doesn't seem to erase what I have just spent time applying. It just gives it a soft focus. For me, the real test of it came when I found I was suddenly reaching for it all the time for e/s blending. It just seemed to make it look like I had been to a professional makeup artist for application, and I am actually a bit of a makeup klutz in terms of application. I think the first step is to admit you have a problem......
so back to the review. I continue to rely on my little pink friend nearly continuously. I blend with it every day. I eventually tossed it's distant cousins, the round drug store imitators. And I have a secret....... my little pink sponge won't be lonely long. I've ordered it a twin sister.
continued >>

on 10/4/2011 12:06:00 AM

I first heard of this sponge after seeing a YouTube video of Kim K's makeup routine. I hesitated to buy it because I feel Kim K is a worthless human being, but eventually I started seeing buzz about it on various blogs and eventually MUA. I finally bit the bullet a few weeks ago and bought one.

Now, I too have gorgeous airbrushed-looking skin and I didn't even have to make an adult tape with a C-list R&B singer!

Yes, the BeautyBlender is expensive. Almost exorbitantly so, if you think about the cost of raw materials to make just one tiny sponge, but I've never been able to apply foundation and concealer so flawlessly, and gotten so many compliments on my skin (even though I used it with the same foundation I've been using for years!). Seriously - I have some terrible vices that wreak havoc on my skin - namely bourbon and Camel Lights - and if I put on my foundation with the BeautyBlender, no one can tell! It's that good.

It's design is simple but ingenious, and soft enough to blend out any stippling, even around the eyes and nose. I'd go into detail about how to apply, but there are several other reviews that do so, as well as an official BeautyBlender video on YouTube. If you choose to purchase it (and you should), take a look!

I'll continue to buy these over and over again. I can't imagine putting on my foundation without one.

on 1/18/2016 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Ok - if you are young with smooth naturally glowy skin - feel free to skip this review. Note - you can likely skip most reviews as really - you wake up amazing and if I were less of a person - would hate you for it. (Actually kind of do - but only a little)

Now - if you are facing maturing skin, uneven texture, pore issues, etc - this over priced little pink sponge works. Really well. And I kind of hate it a little for doing so.

First - dupes. Don't bother. Closest is RT and its ok. This has a bounce that makes foundation application quick and smooth. It also is the right balance of firm and smooth for under eye concealer.
Second - application. I cannot believe I went so many years not trying this. Concealer applies like a dream - especially if you have some fine lines. Foundation is sheer enough to be natural, but converage and finish are great. This has made some meh foundations really work for me.
Third - price. Dude, it sucks that it's $20, but it works. And if $20 makes a $40 foundation more usable - it's a good investment. If $20 keeps my concealer from creasing - allowing me to pass for younger than my 40 years - it's worth it.
Fourth - cleaning. I have a handful of these and a couple of RT ones. All go in a lingerie bag and get washed with my clothes. It works well enough and feeds into my lazy streak.

So ... Net, I love this even though the little guy makes it hard to love given the price and cleaning. Well worth giving it a try - unless you are part of the unicorn club mentioned above.

on 11/20/2007 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I hate to ruin the great reviews, but I was just not a fan of this hot-pink egg. I find the shape awkward and the price just ridiculous for what you get. Though the sponge itself is nice and dense, I think Bobbi Brown wedges are of the same quality and you get an eight-pack for $5.50.

Part of my dislike is the clean freak in me, as you need to wash this sponge after each use or it sits there looking disgusting and breeding who-knows-what germs. It also takes a long time to rinse, in my experience. That being said, I absolutely love the Beautyblender cleanser to use with regular brushes. It give a nice deep clean and rinses well.

I gave it two lippies because the sponge does do it's job. But bottom line, the Beautyblender is *just* a sponge! The Web site instructs you to use a stippling technique, and you can do that with any wedge or foundation brush to get that airbrushed look. I just swapped it away and will stick to using BB wedges or the Mac 187 for applying foundation. continued >>

on 1/12/2012 2:16:00 PM

As a long time fan of anything about cosmetics,I can easily say that this is one of the biggest sales gimmick I have ever seen.Especially after it came out ,it was on everywhere.I didin't pay much attention first but then some of my fav beauty blogs mentioned it,so I went and paid and got a little pink sponge for a funny(in a tragic way) price.
First of all,I am a light application loving girl.I am pale so I have to be careful with my blushes and stuff.As for the foundation,I love sheer and natural coverage.So here are my thoughts about BB coming:
1)The amount of foundation you have to use with BB is just ridiculous.I use brushes to apply foundation,not fingers.I like sheer and buildable products so spending so much of a product is not a problem for me.But this is extreme.An example : if you need 1-2 pump for fingers,2-3 for any brush,I need min. 4 pumps for the BB.and I dont even layer/build my foundation for more coverage.Buying a new high end foundation when I need one is not a problem for me but the fact that it will be lasting for not more than 2 months maximum is not amusing me.

2)the effect: I don't understand this.It is not creating a magical look or something.it just gives you the effect that any right brush-foundation duo and some avarage blending technique can give.it also lowers down the covering ability.My fav brushes for foundation is mac 187 and 130.I love the new Shiseido brush as well.Hakuhodo,a brand I am new to,seems to have perfect foundation tools .I got G5552 and it is perfection.So what does this sponge has? nothing unique.Besides eating your foundation up and requiring longer time for application.

3)cleaning: painful.I have to use a cleansing oil to take off the foundation totally.I clean my brushes with mac's make up cleanser after each application and shampoo about once a week.even washing a brush takes less time.and with BB you have to do it everyday.It is not sweet,really.if you are concerned a lot about the bacteria and breakouts(i dont experience any),you will not enjoy the cleaning process.

4)price: ok this is the real deal breaker.BB is made of suede.it sounds fancy.like "look,it is not a cheap sponge material,you see?" But the truth is a suede sponge is what you use for your shoes.and they don't/can't cost 20 bucks.But an unstoppabable hype creates the illusion of a 20 dollar sponge is actually worth it.With the price of 2 BBs,you can go and buy a brush that you can use till the end of your life,not only from Mac,but from many other or even better brush producers.

I will stop here.it is only the cons here.One pro is that it actually works good with cream/liquid blushes/highlighters.So I sometimes use it.But buy it again? definetly not worth it.I already have two and this is not something I will go and buy again unless I win the lottery or someting.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I feel like an outcast because I feel I'm the only one who hates the beauty blender. I have purchased it twice, hoping I will make it work every time and it just does not work for me. I dampen my sponge, squeeze the excessive water out and begin to blend foundations, concealers, cream contours and it ALWAYS sucks up all of my product. As I pat to blend the product into the skin, I lose everything I had just applied! For example, I apply foundation, then concealer onto my acne scars. Flawless canvas I should say. I'll then apply a cream contour and blend. EVERYTHING disappears! It sucks up all of my product and exposes everything I just concealed. I get so upset! Hate this product.

on 1/16/2016 6:10:00 PM

When I purchased my first beauty blender, I fell in love with it. Now that I have the Real Techniques complexion sponge, I want nothing to do with this product anymore.

1. Price
BB sponges are EXPENSIVE. It cost $20! $20 for a silly tear drop pink sponge.
2. Quality
BB sponges break down easily. I've gone through about four of them already. For $20 a piece these should last much longer.
3. Cleaning
Cleaning the bb sponge is awful. It's really hard to clean these things spotless, there is always going to be left over concealer, foundation, etc. on it. I got a bb cleaner as a Sephora 100 point gift a while back, it cleaned my sponge spotless but at the cost of my bb. The soap was the hard soap which was probably mostly detergent, so it was very harsh for something so delicate. My bb ended up super cracked. When I finished cleaning my bb with the soap, my hands had white residue from the soap.

NOT WORTH $20. Much rather go for a cost effective and denser sponge from Real Techniques.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This product is a total freaking scam! And I fell for it...
Summary of product:
Magenta, egg shaped makeup sponge.
Comes 2 to a package ($20 at Sephora).
To be used while damp on clean, dry, moisturized skin.
Place a pumpful of foundation on back of hand. Dip damp beauty blender in foundation. Apply to face using a gentle stippling (aka dabbing) motion. Apply multiple layers of foundation if necessary.

Pros:
Super freaking soft! I have to say, it is so gentle on my sensitive skin <-- reason for star 1.
Provides a nice and even application. HOWEVER, it's no better than the makeup wedges I buy from Target (a package of 50 costs $4.00) <-- reason for star 2 because, hey, it does provide a nice makeup application in general.

Cons:
Where do I begin?
HYGIENE! Oh my goodness! The unhygienic nature of this product is ridiculous. It didn't even hit my until after I used this product for the first time that I'm supposed to use this same sponge for 3 whole months. Even with the obvious washings this thing recieves, that is way too long of a time to use a single sponge. It is impossible to wash away 100% of all bacteria from the sponge. Inevitably, this bacteria will manage to thrive on the beauty blender over time. Worst part is, the Beauty Blender Cleansing Solid costs and extra $15 at Sephora. Basically, you're spending $35 for two pink sponges and soap... That's ridiculous. This is why I prefer the wedges from Target. They come out to 8 cents each and can be thrown away after a week or so of use. So, time to do the math... using the beauty blender, you get 6 mon the worth of use (3 months per sponge, 2 sponges per pack) for $35 (including cost of cleanser). Using the makeup wedges, I get a year's worth of wedges for $4. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have the money to spend $70 per year on a makeup applicator and its special cleanser. On the other hand, $4 per year I will happily spend for something that works just as well.
Too absorbant! A full 2/3 of my foundation gets trapped in the blender! Basically only 1/3 of the foundation makes its way only to skin, the rest goes to waste. Can you imagine how big of a waste of money it is to only be able to actually use 1/3 of the foundation you buy? Not only is it a waste of money, it leads to too sheer of coverage. I need something that can place enough product on my under eye are to cover dark circles. This beauty blender simply cannot! If I apply foundation and then use the beauty blender to try and apply concealer, hardly any of it makes its way onto my skin. Worse yet, if I use a concealer brush to apply a thicker layer of concealer amd then try to blend it all together with the beauty blender, it picks up and essentially removes all of the concealer I had applied to my skin.
The price! I've already covered this, but I felt the need to list it as a separate bullet point because it truly is a huge negative of this product!
Not a durable product. Yes, I realize it is a sponge so, it's not exactly strong. However, the tip started to tear/wear out after only a week of use (primarily, I used the tip for my under eye area to get a precise foundation application).

Overall, if you use the beauty blender as directed, it will work well. However, it is comparable in results to a much MUCH cheaper and hygienic makeup wedge when used for a sheer makeup application. It cannot provide a moderate or thick application. It costs $20 for a 6 month supply. It costs an additional $15 for the cleanser. It soaks up makeup like crazy (costing you yet more money!). It is not durable enough.
Be smart. Skip this product. Get yourself a package of makeup wedges and save yourself $66 per year.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools