Deciem The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid Serum

Deciem The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid Serum

4.7

Propanediol, Thioctic Acid

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is pure magic! I have already repurchased, I love it so much. A staple in my skincare. Really brightens the skin, makes it radiant, more plump, more even. And the results are visible literally overnight!
I'm totally a skincare junkie, and someone who always reads ingredients lists. I'm regularly using Retin-A, LAA, and Alpha Lipoic acid is definitely one of those products that really visibly improve the skin.
I use it every other night, the nights when I don't use Retin-A, and very happy with the results. It is pretty strong, but I haven't gotten any irritation from it. However, I find the best way to use it is adding just one drop into the oil of your choice or squalane, it still delivers excellent result, but there is definitely zero stinging or irritation this way.
Must have for me!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonderful stuff! Use caution if applying after any exfoliation as it may sting- especially if skin is still damp. I use this 1-2x a week in my routine and usually time it for right before I will be dressing up or going out, since it definitely gives a glow to my skin! The price is unbeatable and as long as your skin type can tolerate the potency, is a fantastic addition to just about any skincare regimen.

Awesome product. I tried A LOT of the ordinary products and didn't like any of them but this one. The others all broke me out, pilled, or just didn't do anything. Eventually I'll go review them one by one and explain why they were terrible, but in the meantime this is the one to buy. Follow the directions, and don't apply to broken skin (acid = sting) and your skin is brighter, more glowy, and more even the next day. I use this 2-3 times a week with Amazonia's nightly renewal over the top, and these two products have totally transformed my skin. Highly recommended.

This product is amazing and words can’t express how happy I am to have finally found something that works for my hyperpigmentation, complexion, and texture.
For starters, I use it every other day even though they suggest only using it 2-3 times a week. My skin is able to tolerate it and I moisturize really well after every use.
When you first apply it, it doesn’t sting but it does cause this hot sensation on your face. The feeling goes away after about 5 minutes so it’s not that bad.

OK SO FOR THE RESULTS OF THIS AMAZING POTION:
After 3 weeks of use, 80% of my hyperpigmentation scarring has completely dissapeared, and 20% has drastically lightened. The pores on my cheeks, nose, and forehead have tightened. My skin is glowing, and I’m actually getting compliments on my skin again. It’s been YEARS since I got a compliment on my skin! I used to have a lot of clogged pores and blackheads on my nose, but that problem has stopped. The days after using this are the best skin days for me because my skin is so smooth and radiant. This has seriously been a game changer for me and that fact that it’s so incredibly cheap is crazy to me. You need this in your life.

on 7/2/2018 4:28:00 PM

Love this. I rotate a lot of Ordinary products in my routine but this and their Vit C in silicone I will forever keep around. I had no idea what this was at first tbh. I came across a rave review, as one does, and picked it up on my next 'routine' order. It's less than $7. According to the Ordinary's website, ALA is a "highly potent antioxidant and can restore a renewed skin appearance, improving visible skin texture and tone when applied topically."

Packaging is the typical Ordinary dropper bottle, and apparently 5% is a high percentage of ALA, since you're advised to use sparingly, apply only at night and not in conjuction with exfoliants/actives, and to use sun protection.

My experience: I honestly can't tell what this does (is it an active? does it promote cell turnover? is it rebuilding my cells from the ground up? idk) but my skin always looks fresh and dewy as a daisy the morning after an ALA night. I've been using it for about a month, and my skin looks great. I do notice that the effect seems semi-permanent, as in I feel I will have to keep using it forever to maintain this level of progress, but that could just be psychological lol. I don't find it too harsh, but my skin isn't sensitive to strong products. I've even used it on the same nights as my other big guns stuff, and while I didn't notice any adverse reactions, I try not to make that a habit. I use about 3-4 drops—it feels oily, kind of weird, doesn't smell great (but then again show me an Ordinary product that smells good and I'll eat my hat), and spreads/absorbs into skin more easily than you think it will. It can tingle a bit, especially the first few times you use it, but it's never burned or reddened my skin. And like I said, my skin is so happy with me in the morning.

I moisturize over this with a HA serum and rosehip oil. No dryness, flakes, or irritation.

Results. I use this about once a week and it makes a huge difference. I only use at night after I have cleansed and I use rose water before I apply. Just place a few drops in your hands and gently pat onto skin. It feels slightly oily, but absorbs in a few minutes. There is sometimes a slight tingle, too. My skin looks incredible in the morning. Use a good sunblock. There is a slightly odd smell, too. I will buy again and again.

I really notice it the days after I use it at night, my skin is really smooth and bright. Great acid for exfoliation and I hear it's an antioxidant also. I use it with my Squalane and it works really well for me.

on 6/23/2018 1:16:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Other

Have been using for 2 weeks.

Had great skin until menopause and then it went to hell in a hand-basket. Roseacea, clogged pores, blackheads, etc. Had used Finacea, retin-A, BHA with some improvement but would always go funky again.

Couple of months ago I started using Mad Hippy Vit C serum and noticed immediate brightness. Alternated with PC BHA 4%. Then I decided to try the ALA. I am really noticing much smaller blackheads and smoother feel and appearance.

Right now my regime is M-W-F cleanse, MH Vit C in the AM and ALA in the PM. AM I add 50 spf(currently Sun Bum Face), PM Argan oil. Still a little dry in spots with flakiness and I would really like to do something about the sun spots on face and neck area. T-Th-Sa just cleanse and moisturize.

I am impressed with the ALA and hope to update with continuing positive results.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I really love this stuff! I only use 3 drops 3 nights a week. I will NEVER stop using it. I feel like it improves basically everything (skin texture, tone, moisture, elasticity, even redness etc).

I have sensitive acne prone skin and have never had any problems with it except for maybe some slight stinging around my nose (and this seems to be only when I use it with certain products). I like to think it's because I follow the directions, but who knows? Reactions can vary even in people with sensitive skin.

For the best results use it EXACTLY according to the directions. You aren't supposed to use it with any acids and you're only supposed to use it sparingly (like 3 nights a week). More is definitely NOT better with this product.

on 6/14/2018 12:36:00 PM

Thanks to MUA reviewers I decided to give this a try. I am 51 with combination acne-prone skin and melasma patches from old Sun damage. I use this 2-3 nights a week, alternating with retin A. This stings very slightly on application and there is a slight, odd odor. No worries though, because I wake up with super soft, glowing skin. I am ordering a spare for a backup, plus getting one for my daughter. Never want to run out of this amazing stuff!