Deciem The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid Serum

4.5

Propanediol, Thioctic Acid

on 1/15/2019 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

overall: 7/10

I've been using this product for about 3 months, twice a week. I apply 3 drops after my toner and before moisturiser. I bought this as my skin can sometimes appear dull.

I have had good results with this serum. However, it stings every time I apply it and turns my face red hot. For this reason, I worry that it isn't good for my skin in the long run, and I probably won't repurchase it.

The price, like all TO products, is very cheap. The packaging is appropriate, a dropper bottle. The serum is light but has an oily finish.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

The Alpha Lipoic Acid 5% is probably one of The Ordinary’s most immediately gratifying products in terms of visible results, behind only the AHA 30% + BHA 2%.

ALA (thioctic acid) doesn’t pack the burn that AHAs do and isn’t as sensitive regarding pH environment. Due to concentration, TO still earns the product may cause sensitivity of overused—I’ve never experienced this (even when combined with direct acids and other potent actives), but those with sensitive or sensitized skin are best off patch testing.

For those who can tolerate the formula, TO suggests limited use. I do think (but I’m not a professional!) it’s likely safe to add a drop to a daily antioxidant serum or moisturizer on a more regular basis, as doing so significantly dilutes the 5% concentration. Just remember (though I’m sure you already do) a broad spectrum sunscreen, as ALA is both photosensitive and photosensitizing. Oilier-skinned users may want to stick to nighttime use only given the product’s texture, which is mildly oily (despite being oil-free) due to a waterless formulation.

The ALA serum comes in one of TO’s tinted droppers for the purpose of sun protection, which is standard but also less preferable than an airtight container. I prefer to keep it in a drawer to further protect from ambient light.

I experienced noticeable brightening of the complexion after first use, more than I’ve ever noticed from any other product from The Ordinary—even the 30%+2%, though there isn’t comparable smoothing—and any ascorbic acid product. Used regularly (1–2x/week) going forward, I’ve found the product helps maintain this gain in combination with the rest of my regimen. Understandably, further uses haven't resulted in equally noticeable changes (though they could depending on skin condition). Aside from brightening, ALA scavenges reactive oxygen species, meaning it serves a useful and long-term purpose even if it’s not immediately evident.

As others have mentioned, the product does have a distinctive, burnt smell that fades as other products are layered over. (Despite the oily feel, I prefer to apply the product early in my routine, after the lightest water-based serums.) It also seems unlikely a typical user will finish a full 30ml in the recommended time frame if following usage guidelines, taking oxidation concerns into consideration. That said, these are small complaints from the consumer end for a sub-$7 product.

I hated this serum with a passion at first fro the first two months because of the burning rubber smell and no matter how much I apply, I didn’t seem to get any visible results. One day I realized this can be diluted with other face oils so I mixed three drops of this and three drops of rosehip seed oil. This has almost eliminated the burning rubber smell and I’ve had visible results the next day. I don’t know what it is about the rosehip seed oil with this serum but this just seems to work!

on 10/3/2018 3:32:00 PM

Over the last couple of months, I've bought some The Ordinary products to try.

If I had to choose my favourite product (so far), it would be the Alpha Lipoic Acid.
The second best is the Natural moisturising factors cream - since it is so basic and versatile.
I have not tried to use these two together yet, though.

I use the Alpha Lipoic Acid at most twice a week and it gives my face a brighter (less dull), glowy look.
I use it at night - 3 drops over my face that has been already been moisturised with Boots Botanics Organic face oil. I have sensitive skin and even though I used the Alpha Lipoic acid over oil, I still could feel it warming up on my face and tingling slightly. This goes away in around 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell fantastic to me - smells like gasoline, but the smell goes away when the warming sensation goes away.

If I want quick results - nice glowy skin, I'll reach for the Alpha Lipoic acid.
It's easy to use - no 10-step Korean regime. Just Alpha Lipoic acid paired with my facial oil. It's fuss-free.
I've tried other products such as the Niacinamide, Alpha Arbutin, L-Ascorbic powder, and even Vitamin C 23%, but they all take some time to show good effects - around 2-3 weeks for me.

I think this bottle will last a long time, since I'll use 6 drops if I use it twice a week.
Remember there is a label which informed that this item is good for use, when opened, for 6 months.

on 9/12/2018 10:59:00 AM

Meh, marginal if any improvement. I prefer it mixed Into the skincare, I still prefer Perricone products with ALA, just cannot seem to get same results. 3 drops stung a bit so most times I went with 2. I like the Resveratrol and ferulic antioxidant much better in this line. I would not repurchase. It mixed cleanly, got along with other products, non-oily, absorbed well, it just didn't do much for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've used the ALA serum a couple of times per week and noticed a big improvement to my skin texture, dullness and also pore size. Even on blemishes I have seen quite a difference in them fading whilst using this. And not just a gradual weekly difference but very much an overnight thing. It does smell kind of smokey but I find the smell dissipates pretty quickly and cannot be noticed withing 5 minutes or so after applying. And it's strong stuff be warned, you cannot use it too often as your skin will not be able to tolerate it - even at a frequency of just twice per week my face tingles like mad and turns slightly red in protest at me applying this. I use it at night, just 2 drops over my face and neck. It is very tacky in texture and I don't layer any other product over it in order to give it the best chance to work its magic...also because if I use anything over it, it would probably just slide right off!

With The Ordinary/Deciem I have noticed a love/hate relationship each time I use any of their products. Loving the results I get with the serums and especially the price point as I can pretty much try everything in the range without the fear of being bankrupted (imagine purchasing the entire Estee Lauder range of serums!), but in many cases hating the tackiness and piling as the textures of the products are hardly ever good. I guess it's a compromise when you have very basic formulations that are formulated to do the job at a low cost point but without the elegance of similar but higher priced formulations with all their slip agents and sillicones. Texture issues aside I would re-purchase this any day as my skin loves it. However for the time being I won't have to as I can see this lasting for absolutely ages! Been using since start of July this year and not even 1/8th of the way through the bottle yet! True value for money!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 9/5/2018 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
-Having used this product for 3 months,i can say that this has been a real game changer in my skincare routine. It seems to have amazing anti inflammatory properties, as any cystic acne that starts to form under my skin just flattens down or comes to head within a few days. Usually, my cystic acne can stay up to 3 weeks and just gets bigger by the day!

-I find that it can cause a bit of flushing sometimes and feels warm and tingly upon application, but my skin has a nice glow and feels very soft in the days after.

-Affordable

-Seems to help a lot with fading acne scars (hyperpigmentation)

CONS
-I might be a rare case as no one has mentioned this in their reviews but I purged for the first week in small whiteheads but they went away really quickly and my skin was calmer after

-The smell might be off-putting. Sometimes it smells like weed, faint gasoline and even cat piss?(!)

Please be aware that this stuff is extremely potent and should only be used at night, once or twice a week. 3 drops should suffice. Any more and your face and even hands might start to dry out and flake. Would definitely repurchase, I'm very happy with this product.

on 9/5/2018 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

This was one of the Ordinary products that I gave away. It did make my skin slightly clearer, but gosh, the stinging was unbearable. It never let out even after a few weeks. I know it works well for some people but for me, I got way better results with the Buffet + copper without the pain, so this one is at the bottom of the list for me.

on 9/4/2018 12:47:00 PM

I hate to ruin the party, but this hasn't done that much for my skin. It hasn't made it any worse, but it also hasn't improved anything either. I've used it for a couple of months without really seeing a change - I've used Retin-A, AHA, and BHA products in the past, so maybe my skin is so used to various acids and exfoliants that this doesn't do much. It seems to work wonderfully for other people, and it certainly hasn't done any harm, so I've given it 4 lippies.

It smells like a fire in an oil refinery, which doesn't bother me that much - but it does make it a bedtime treatment rather than one I'd wear under makeup. It also feels physically hot on your skin when you first put it on, but that goes away very quickly.

on 9/3/2018 4:13:00 PM

This is one of the best Ordinay products. My skin always feels smooth, bright and firmer afterwards!