Deciem The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid Serum

Deciem The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid Serum

4.6

Propanediol, Thioctic Acid

I hated this serum with a passion at first fro the first two months because of the burning rubber smell and no matter how much I apply, I didn’t seem to get any visible results. One day I realized this can be diluted with other face oils so I mixed three drops of this and three drops of rosehip seed oil. This has almost eliminated the burning rubber smell and I’ve had visible results the next day. I don’t know what it is about the rosehip seed oil with this serum but this just seems to work!

on 10/3/2018 3:32:00 PM

Over the last couple of months, I've bought some The Ordinary products to try.

If I had to choose my favourite product (so far), it would be the Alpha Lipoic Acid.
The second best is the Natural moisturising factors cream - since it is so basic and versatile.
I have not tried to use these two together yet, though.

I use the Alpha Lipoic Acid at most twice a week and it gives my face a brighter (less dull), glowy look.
I use it at night - 3 drops over my face that has been already been moisturised with Boots Botanics Organic face oil. I have sensitive skin and even though I used the Alpha Lipoic acid over oil, I still could feel it warming up on my face and tingling slightly. This goes away in around 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell fantastic to me - smells like gasoline, but the smell goes away when the warming sensation goes away.

If I want quick results - nice glowy skin, I'll reach for the Alpha Lipoic acid.
It's easy to use - no 10-step Korean regime. Just Alpha Lipoic acid paired with my facial oil. It's fuss-free.
I've tried other products such as the Niacinamide, Alpha Arbutin, L-Ascorbic powder, and even Vitamin C 23%, but they all take some time to show good effects - around 2-3 weeks for me.

I think this bottle will last a long time, since I'll use 6 drops if I use it twice a week.
Remember there is a label which informed that this item is good for use, when opened, for 6 months.

on 9/12/2018 10:59:00 AM

Meh, marginal if any improvement. I prefer it mixed Into the skincare, I still prefer Perricone products with ALA, just cannot seem to get same results. 3 drops stung a bit so most times I went with 2. I like the Resveratrol and ferulic antioxidant much better in this line. I would not repurchase. It mixed cleanly, got along with other products, non-oily, absorbed well, it just didn't do much for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've used the ALA serum a couple of times per week and noticed a big improvement to my skin texture, dullness and also pore size. Even on blemishes I have seen quite a difference in them fading whilst using this. And not just a gradual weekly difference but very much an overnight thing. It does smell kind of smokey but I find the smell dissipates pretty quickly and cannot be noticed withing 5 minutes or so after applying. And it's strong stuff be warned, you cannot use it too often as your skin will not be able to tolerate it - even at a frequency of just twice per week my face tingles like mad and turns slightly red in protest at me applying this. I use it at night, just 2 drops over my face and neck. It is very tacky in texture and I don't layer any other product over it in order to give it the best chance to work its magic...also because if I use anything over it, it would probably just slide right off!

With The Ordinary/Deciem I have noticed a love/hate relationship each time I use any of their products. Loving the results I get with the serums and especially the price point as I can pretty much try everything in the range without the fear of being bankrupted (imagine purchasing the entire Estee Lauder range of serums!), but in many cases hating the tackiness and piling as the textures of the products are hardly ever good. I guess it's a compromise when you have very basic formulations that are formulated to do the job at a low cost point but without the elegance of similar but higher priced formulations with all their slip agents and sillicones. Texture issues aside I would re-purchase this any day as my skin loves it. However for the time being I won't have to as I can see this lasting for absolutely ages! Been using since start of July this year and not even 1/8th of the way through the bottle yet! True value for money!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 9/5/2018 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
-Having used this product for 3 months,i can say that this has been a real game changer in my skincare routine. It seems to have amazing anti inflammatory properties, as any cystic acne that starts to form under my skin just flattens down or comes to head within a few days. Usually, my cystic acne can stay up to 3 weeks and just gets bigger by the day!

-I find that it can cause a bit of flushing sometimes and feels warm and tingly upon application, but my skin has a nice glow and feels very soft in the days after.

-Affordable

-Seems to help a lot with fading acne scars (hyperpigmentation)

CONS
-I might be a rare case as no one has mentioned this in their reviews but I purged for the first week in small whiteheads but they went away really quickly and my skin was calmer after

-The smell might be off-putting. Sometimes it smells like weed, faint gasoline and even cat piss?(!)

Please be aware that this stuff is extremely potent and should only be used at night, once or twice a week. 3 drops should suffice. Any more and your face and even hands might start to dry out and flake. Would definitely repurchase, I'm very happy with this product.

on 9/5/2018 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

This was one of the Ordinary products that I gave away. It did make my skin slightly clearer, but gosh, the stinging was unbearable. It never let out even after a few weeks. I know it works well for some people but for me, I got way better results with the Buffet + copper without the pain, so this one is at the bottom of the list for me.

on 9/4/2018 12:47:00 PM

I hate to ruin the party, but this hasn't done that much for my skin. It hasn't made it any worse, but it also hasn't improved anything either. I've used it for a couple of months without really seeing a change - I've used Retin-A, AHA, and BHA products in the past, so maybe my skin is so used to various acids and exfoliants that this doesn't do much. It seems to work wonderfully for other people, and it certainly hasn't done any harm, so I've given it 4 lippies.

It smells like a fire in an oil refinery, which doesn't bother me that much - but it does make it a bedtime treatment rather than one I'd wear under makeup. It also feels physically hot on your skin when you first put it on, but that goes away very quickly.

on 9/3/2018 4:13:00 PM

This is one of the best Ordinay products. My skin always feels smooth, bright and firmer afterwards!

on 8/24/2018 3:59:00 AM

Amazing stuff. When I saw all these glowing reviews I immediately went out and got it. The other reviews don't lie, your skin is glowing the next day. Really helps to fade hyperpigmentation from acne. Absorbs nicely. It has a smell that definitely lingers for a while but I don't mind because it is the natural smell and not covered up with added fragrance.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Eyes: Violet

This product is extremely hydrating and sinks into the skin very quickly so that you can barely feel any product but you can notice the hydration. I like to use this after I cleanse and before moisturiser. It can also be worn underneath makeup. However, the product is extremely sticky and appears almost elastic. I did not expect this, and you can get more pricey hyaluronic acids which are more water-like in texture. I am also not a fan of the smell, but it's not too overpowering. Having said this, I do think that it is a great value product for the really good result you get, and definitely worth buying if you want a hyaluronic acid but don't want to spend loads.