Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.8

on 4/24/2017 1:39:00 PM

This product does work, but to be honest it's not very nice to use and I wouldn't buy it again. The gritty texture means it's impossible to layer during the day, even just under sunscreen.

I know they do say on the website that this product stings, but it's still deeply uncomfortable for me an hour after applying it, which rules out using it at night as well. Man it burns- it literally keeps me awake at night! For context it's worse than some light doctor administered peels I've had, so approach with caution!
Yes it's effective at the price point but for me it's a miserable experience to use.

on 4/22/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm the weirdo that kind of likes the gritty texture of this stuff — it makes it feel like the product really means business, as indeed it does.

My skin concerns are dryness, wrinkles, a tendency to hyperpigmentation, a tendency towards sensitivity. I'm 56 years old, with decent but certainly not perfect skin. This treatment definitely makes my skin tingle when I use it, which I do twice a week on my face, 3 or 4 times a week on my decolletage to combat sun damage (which it has helped with a lot). The tingle is nothing too severe and it's worth it to me to put up with it because I noticed visible improvement in the radiance and texture of my skin after first use. Subsequent uses over the last four months invariably yield the same positive results.

I use another Vitamin C serum by Deciem as well, a higher-end Hylamide product (Booster C25), that I also love. Switching between the two products works really well for me but I had very satisfactory results with just The Ordinary product before incorporating the more expensive serum into my routine.

I have purchased this product twice and will repurchase again.

on 4/15/2017 2:46:00 PM

I'm a big fan of The Ordinary (both their products and their philosophy) but this is one product that, simply put - is not pleasant to use.
Night 1:
Being 23% the formula stings on first application and, for me, continued to sting until I damped it down with a moisturizer. Even after that I could still feel it for about 15 minutes. It wasn't completely unbearable, but I'd liken it to the sting you feel if you've manually exfoliated then apply an AHA (ouch!!). But unlike that sensation - which goes away fairly quickly - this didn't.
Still, I’d be willing to tolerate the prolonged sting if it eventually fully absorbed, but on me it didn't do that either. Even with a moisturizer applied 20 minutes afterward, an hour later if I touched or rubbed my skin it would ball and still feel grainy. Without it absorbing, I didn't feel it was doing its job properly and wasn't sure how much I was benefitting from it.

Other reviewers have stated two relevant things; (1) that if used regularly the stinging diminishes and (2) applying to a damp (or spritzed) face helps the granules to break down and absorb.
I'll keep using it because I have faith in The Ordinary’s products, and will try the above suggestions, or try mixing it in with my moisturiser to see if that lessens the sting.

Night 2 (two days later):
Surprisingly after only a second application there is barely any sting at all. After 5 minutes I don't know what I was complaining about!! (Does skin adjust that quickly??).
I have dry (generally non-sensitive) skin but the difference between the first night's application and the second is night and day. I can barely feel it at all, which is great.
(I would have persisted regardless but was preparing for an uncomfortable experience). Not so and I'm delighted.

NB:
It still felt grainy after 10 minutes (& admittedly I forgot that I had intended to spritz my face beforehand or apply to damp skin) so I spritzed my face 10 minutes after application and strangely, with the addition of H2O, that brought the sting back (note to self: remember to spritz FIRST!!!). Did it help with absorption? Definitely!! I can rub it in now with no grainy texture (but the added water has also added sting where there was none before). It subsided within 10 minutes so still better than Night 1.

I should also add that despite any uncomfortable sting, (on Night 1 or 2) I didn't have any redness or peeling at all in the following days.

I’ll see how application on DAMP skin goes with Night 3, but even mistakenly spritzing AFTERward (& not before) apart from a temporarily-increased sting, the product has completely absorbed within 10 minutes. There's some SLIGHTLY grainy texture but nothing like the first night's application.

I think with this product you just need to experiment to see what works best for you. But it would appear that what other MUA reviewers have suggested - that any uncomfortable sensation quickly diminishes with continued use - is absolutely correct (& quite possibly within a very short space of time). Persistence will be rewarded!!

On another note - The Ordinary have been criticised for not having a complete range and for having single-ingredient products but that's exactly why I like them. With my home pharmacy of little bottles I can turn any moisturiser or serum into an anti-ageing powerhouse just by adding a few extra drops of Ordinary goodness. I benefit from the latest proven ingredients and don't have to throw away or waste an otherwise perfectly good product. They've filled a niche no-one else has and of course their prices are why this brand has achieved such high visibility in record time.
(Note to other Manufacturers - you'll probably see higher profits by selling MORE products at vastly reduced prices than by being greedy and trying to sell a FEW products at ridiculously inflated prices. You'll also get more return business. Women are sick of being ripped off, which is why The Ordinary is such a welcome breath of fresh air).

on 4/14/2017 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I started using this 1-2 nights a week and worked up to 4-5. It still stings but my skin definitely has improved. When the retinol serum is back in stock I plan to alternate the two, again at night. I'm in my late 50s so I have all the concerns of aging skin plus acne scarring and redness and I don't expect miracles but I'm glad I've found this line of affordable skincare. A note on the packaging of the vitamin c suspension - it's in a thin, wide plastic tube with a flip top and if you're not careful with the product it will bubble out and gunk up in the cap which is wasteful and just annoying in general, it's why I am rating this a four. I store the tube upside-down and that helps.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Broken record... it's gritty. It's a little greasy. But if you can live with that...it's dirt cheap and it works. I find if I place The Ordinary moisturizing Factor product over this. The granules melt almost immediately. The formulation just CANNOT be used under makeup :-(

I have used PC C15 since it came out and it's pretty potent yet no stinging. First time applying The Ordinary I felt slight tingle. Used for about 2 weeks and some days I'd feel a tingle for a moment - some days no tingle. Nothing bad and website states clearly that it will have tingling. Well then I started Retin-A. My plan was to use Retin-A one night and this C23 next night. I guess the Retin-a on previous night sensitized my skin (no visible signs) but the next night when I applied C23 it BURNED. I finally had to wash it off my face. Beware to sensitive people.

My skin loves Vit C. It's one of the few products where I can see a difference the next day. So happy to have found something so good to my face and my wallet.

Struggled between 4-5 lippies. It's really a shame this can't be used under makeup. Vit C boosts sun protection.

I have purchased 5 items in this range. This was the first item I purchased from the range and I was so impressed that I have purchased the 1% retinol, the caffeine 5% solution and the natural moisturising factor. Let me styart by saying the feel of this product is grainy and not very nice. It does not improve when it goes on the skin as you can still feel the grains. It is fairly easy to apply and has enough slip to get a good coverage on the face whilst still using a small amount of product. I use a pea size to do my entire face. Unlike some people, I do not get any reaction such as tingling or redness, but I am a long time user of retinol and vitamin C, so perhaps my skin is just used to it.

Anyway, this stuff works!!! I was using LRP Redermic C prior to this and this is better! It is also one third of the price of the LRP product. My skin was looking better within a couple of days using this. I should clarify that my skin is very clear for my age (51). You can see in my profile picture that I am very fair skinned, but I still saw a difference after using this. I am about a month into this product now and I can't see myself ever returning to the pricier brands. I think the expensive skincare brands are going to have to pay attention to this company. They are producing a better product at a fraction of the price.

Edit 14th April 2017

I had a reaction when I used this after Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser. I don't know whether it was because my face was freshly exfoliated, but the stinging was quite intense when I applied the Vitamin C serum. Just urging a bit of caution. I still love this product, but it was quite uncomfortable applying it after exfoliation.

on 4/7/2017 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have used Vitamin C products in the past and felt they did nothing, this is not the case with The Ordinary. My main concern is lightening post acne scarring and this definitely helps to improve it. I had a fresh mark from a spot and this seemed to help refine the texture as well as helping to fade the scar. The texture is a cream that goes to a very fine sand like feel, but this doesn't bother me as I use at night and once massaged on absorbs fine. Really impressed, can't believe how cheap this is!

on 4/5/2017 8:06:00 AM

Worst product I have used in my life. IT BURNED MY SKIN and gave me pimples I usually never have. Texture is horrible and never sinked in my skin. I itched for hours even after I rinsed off the product. I would not even recommend it to my worst ennemy.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I used to make my own DIY vitamin c for months now , so my skin is not very sensitive anymore, this is a miracle serum if your skin can tolerate it , I apply it by bedtime to face and neck and just let it do its job , I don't try to make sure that every bit of vitamin c in it is absorbed into my skin, I just fall asleep .... In the next morning my face is glowing , actually its radiant .. and smooth like a baby skin . the result I get made me overcome the texture of the serum , and definitely I'll buy this again

Edit : this transformed the back of my hands too .. I apply this serum , then I layer any liquid moisturizer over it to help it get obsorbed .. the results are immediate.. love

on 4/3/2017 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I've been using this off and on for a little over a month, I'd say... and I have some opinions about it:

What I like about this product is that it's hella cheap, the packaging is nice and easy to use (you don't have to worry about it breaking or getting messy), and it feels effective. My face always feels really smooth and nice around 2 or 3 hours after applying it.

What I DON'T like about this product is essentially just that the texture is absolutely terrible. My gripes are pretty consistent with everyone else's, but if you're interested in this product you NEED TO KNOW!! The granular feel as you apply it to your skin feels like you're rubbing dirt on yourself, and then on top of that it's also extremely greasy. After applying it I always feel disgusting, which is the OPPOSITE of how I want to feel after I've finished my skincare routine. Applying moisturizer afterwards helps a little bit, but it only goes so far. Additionally, it makes my face burn, but that's to be expected with such a high concentration of Vit C.

All in all, I haven't really noticed any long-term effects of using this, but admittedly I haven't been using it consistently enough for anything to happen. The smooth feeling my face has hours after I've applied this and it's finally soaked into my skin is very nice and promising, however the disgusting texture during and directly after application are enough of a deterrent for me to just skip this step in my routine more nights than not. Also, I've heard that vitamin C is best applied in the morning rather than at night, but there's NO WAY that that's happening with this product. I haven't tried applying makeup on top of it but I'm sure it would be an absolute disaster.