Kevyn Aucoin Book- Face Forward

Kevyn Aucoin Book- Face Forward
Face Forward by Kevyn Aucoin (inside)

4.6

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

It tells you what colors and how to apply them to the face, although he does not go into brands. Too much preaching in this but it's ok

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is a mediocre, average book in my estimation. I am surprised at the raves. There really isn't anything to rave about. If you like the author, or hold him in high esteem, it doesn't change the fact that the book itself is not worthy of the four/five stars people are giving it. The 'basics' covered (texture, etc) are basically worthless. If you have spent any time involved in makeup at all, this chapter will contribute nothing to your knowledge. It could have been explored better, by going into formulations, etc. Beauty and the bullshit's blog has actually covered these same ideas in a much better, more detailed way--and it's free! Another blog also has far more to offer, a single article of hers covers more ground than most of what this book has to offer--maquillageobscura.blogspot.com. Not affiliated with either--it's just disappointing as I expected this book to be worth all the five stars given it here, when in fact other (free) resources happen to give me more.

The how-to's given are very very VERY basic indeed--even when you can see more items have been applied, or in different ways, it is not delved into.

There are loads and loads of tedious, fanciful descriptions of the model or inspiration, which didn't add anything to my understanding or knowledge. Actually, I'm not easily impressed by this type of florid, gushing writing, as there very little substance or variation, especially related to the actual topic that this book claims to be about!

The pictures are...fine, but most magazines would have similar concepts executed in the same way, so using this book for 'inspiration' is not really worth it at all.

Now with all the video tutorials out there, you are better off checking this book from the library but don't buy it like I did!!

on 10/5/2015 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A must-read for all those interested in basic make-up artistry techniques.

on 8/7/2012 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Love him, love this book! Highly recommended!

on 4/14/2012 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

great book and easy to follow. love it

on 4/9/2012 5:18:00 PM

My favorite of Aucoin's books! The instructions are clearly written and the photos are stunning. I also liked the little humor he blends into his descriptions - making it not just a tutorial, but a fun read! I highly recommend this book if you're interested in makeup application.

I bought Face Forward and Making Faces when I was about 13, and fell in love with make-up artistry. These books taught me the basics of makeup application, using brushes, and introduced me to the wide, wide world of different products that can transform the face. Kevyn made everything so easy to understand with detailed product information for everything that you could apply to your eyes, lips, face, as well as the brushes to go with them; how-to sections for lots of techniques such as contouring, tweezing, and creating smoky eyes; step-by-step makeup looks; and even sections about using themes, contrast, use of color and texture to create interest, and so much more. The pages of transformations that he included are breathtakingly beautiful, and a continuous source of inspiration for me. I loved these books when I bought them, and I love them just as much now. I have literally read them cover to cover many times... in fact, they're sitting next to my bed right now! Do yourself a favor and invest in these books. The creativity and passion that Kevyn brought to them is something that jumps off the page and into the reader.

on 9/12/2010 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I always dreamed of Kevyn doing my makeup :( but being able to read his books is the next best thing. He was such a gifted artist. He could transform anyone. A must have for anyone interested in makeup.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have just now ordered it online after reading reviews.

on 5/30/2010 8:11:00 AM

This guy is a master! Love the techniques, explanations, photos...I could go on. A little pricey, but well worth it for makeup junkies or aspiring MUArtists. I would recommend buying every one of Kevyn's books, they are amazing. Highly recommended!