Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

4.3

on 10/10/2018 8:48:00 PM

A retinoid that now is available OTC in the US, this is a lightweight gel formula of 0.1% adapalene. In the UK it is still prescription only. It is effective for the treatment of mild to moderate acne, acting to settle inflammation, "loosen" sebum plugs, and more effective skin cell turnover. Some people will experience a purge in the first few weeks - I personally didn't, but it is a known issue. As the retinoid acts to normalise skin cell division and turnover, the increased activity can aggravate pores with sebum plugs as they come to the surface. After that, skin noticeably appears clearer and smoother, although it can take weeks for it to reach maximal results.

I use this myself, I'm prone to hormonal acne and oily skin but this has dramatically improved the overall evenness of my skin tone as well as reducing both inflammatory and comedonal acne lesions. First week or so I had to use on alternate nights as I did get some dry, tight and flaky skin, but now I use it daily without issue. I do still get premenstrual breakouts, but lesions are not as inflamed and tenacious as they once were, and I feel the number of lesions overall is reduced.

Of the most commonly used topical retinoids - tretinoin, tazarotene, isotretinoin, and adapalene - adapalene has the weakest effect on fine lines and wrinkles although it does still improve their appearance, Just not as much as tretinoin, so in my opinion this one is best suited for use as an acne treatment rather than as an anti-ageing one. It also has the mildest side effect profile of the lot in terms of skin irritation. Compared to retinol, which must undergo conversion by skin cells into an active form, it has a much more noticeable effect on acne, and is backed up by clinical trials and evidence. I'm really happy with the way this is clearing my face, would recommend this in a heartbeat to anyone with mild-moderate acne. Just make sure you wear sunscreen in the day!

I am 30 and I’ve had mild to moderate acne since I was 16. It’s not mostly hormonal around my jaw line with a few hear and there. I’ve had enough of it so I decided to give differin a try. I’ve been using it for 6 weeks. This is not a product that gives quick results, although I am now finding that it is helping my skin a lot. I did have an initial break out /purging about 2-3 weeks in. I could see the stuff coming out of my pores and hard white heads that I could pull out with tweezers and breakouts. It sucks but it’s also good to know that all that stuff is coming out of your pores. I think I am not past the purging and my break outs are subsiding. My break outs are also healing much much faster and everything comes to the surface extremely quickly and then heals. What really helped me was watching dr dray on YouTube. She’s a dermatologist. She recommends that you moisturize your face while still damp in order to reduce moisture loss. I use the avene tolerance extreme emulsion moisturizer. It’s amazing. I am very sensitive to ingredients so it’s a basic moisturizer that works. I also stopped using harsh face washed and I stick to cerave moisturizing cleanser. After moisturizing my face I use a tiny amount of differin fall over. I have also been using some benzoyl peroxide over that to help with the initial break out but that might cause burning and irritation for some people so be careful. I also use Lilly of the desert aloe on my face to help with the irritation with a small drop of glycerin for added moisture if needed. If my face starts to feel burning and irritated I will stop the differin for a day or two and moisturize and use aloe until that feeling goes away. Do not use differin if your face is burning and irritated because it will get worse. Take a break and then resume once it’s gone. :). It’s all about listening to your skin and keeping irritation to a minimum. I really feel like this stuff is helping my skin a lot. My skin heals way faster and I can see that my pores are clearer. Also my skin is more even. It’s also important to note that you NEED to wear SUNSCREEN with this or your face will burn extremely easily even if you usually do not burn. I am sensitive to a lot of sunscreen but I am using derma e mineral face sunscreen (oil free) with no issues.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Sorry guys, I'm here to crash the Differin party. Using this stuff was a nightmare for me. Is this product designed to trick people into thinking their skin is worse than it is so they keep using it?! I tried it on 3 different occasions, stuck with it for months, but alas the only difference I saw in my skin was negative -- redness, irritation, peeling, bumps on my forehead, big cystic pimples that scarred my face, and a horrible "orange peel" texture when I would try to put on my makeup. Some of these can be considered normal side effects of using a retinoid and I told myself for a while it was normal, but ultimately once I stopped using Differin for a week my skin was calm, happy, healthy, and 90% of the acne I thought was hormonal was gone. If you want to give Differin a shot it might work for you, but be careful and pay attention to your skin. If you continuously break out in areas where you normally don't, you are NOT purging and you should stop use immediately.

on 11/17/2017 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

This is great!!!!! Seriously I am so happy to not have to deal with going to the Dermatologist to get a RX anymore!

I am 36 and yes I do get breakouts and I can say that using this as well as the cleanser has been such a blessing for me!

Don’t forget to use SPF...

Non-Irritating, Effective, Available Pretty Much Everywhere!

on 10/6/2017 10:19:00 AM

Okay, so I literally made an account just to write this review because the stuff is that good. I always had minimal acne in the past that would spike randomly but eventually die down. This year, I found out I have a thyroid disease, which totally screws up your hormones. My acne was out of control and I tried EVERYTHING. I started using Differin about 5 months ago and I rarely ever see a single zit. Not kidding. I think it's even faded my acne scars. I wanted to wait five months to write this because you can't trust reviews that are written after a few tries. Retinoids work slowly over time. I am the least patient person I know but I swear this stuff is GOLD. I mean, to be able to combat endocrine crash related acne?? That's good stuff. I washed my face with a simple cleanser, Castille Soap, and moisturizer with Garnier Moisture Bomb. They work well with the Differin if you're more oily prone. Your face might have more oil or it might dry out in the first two weeks, but after that everything evens out. Best of luck!!

on 7/30/2017 10:15:00 PM

I'm 64, have struggled with mild but persistent adult acne for a long time, and can't believe I waited this long to try Differin. Okay, I did use my daughter's prescription tube a few years ago, but it was winter. I got too dry and irritated and it was a short-lived experiment. This time I started Differin in the summer, and my skin had no trouble at all adjusting to it. In fact, it's been a life saver in the summer, when I normally experience many more breakouts and clogged pores as a result of the heat and humidity. The other tip that seems to help is to wait thirty minutes after washing to apply it. I've been on it for about six weeks and am seeing big improvements. My skin tone is actually less red than it used to be.

I have written a lot of reviews over the years -- the mark of a never-satisfied customer with sensitive, acne prone skin! Differin has really helped me feel like I'm doing the right thing. I've streamlined my routine and don't feel the need to experiment with products like I used to. I'm sticking with it.

UPDATE: Another reviewer noted that this doesn't prevent acne caused by cosmetics, and that seems to be the gospel truth. For example, I seem to break out any time I try a product containing any kind of silicone -- which means all silky feeling foundations and sunscreen, etc. My hair is long, and I can't even get away with using conditioners containing silicone. I just went through an awful round of cosmetic-induced acne, and no, Differin is not magic enough to keep me clear under those conditions.

COLD WEATHER UPDATE: As the weather turned cold, I had to stop using this again. I'm too prone to redness and flushing. Had to do a round of La Solution 10, Chanel's insanely expensive basic moisturizer, to get back on track.

I first heard that Differin was available OTC a few months ago. I immediately knew I wanted to try it. I'm 32 and still struggle with a bit of acne, mainly hormonal acne, and most of the time, it seemed to be cystic. I've been using Differin for over a month now and I am SO happy I decided to give it a try. Within only a few days, I could tell it was helping to clear up my skin. I noticed a change in tone right away. I did deal with the itchy, dry skin for about a week and a half, but for me, it was manageable. I have had a few small pimples pop up, but again, they were small and went away fairly quickly. Usually every month, I get those huge cystic zits that seem to take FOREVER to go away. So far, so good!
I have noticed my pores look smaller, and when I do wear makeup, it goes on nicely. Admittedly, I can be pretty lazy when it comes to skincare, but I haven't missed a day cleansing my face and applying this gel. I prefer to use it right before bed, and it's been a nice easy addition to my routine. A little goes a long way! I bought the smaller tube (about $13.00) and there' still plenty left.
I will also add that along with this, I tend to use the Cerave line, and so far, the two lines work great with one another.

UPDATE 7-1-2017: I just wanted to update and say that after almost two months of using the Differin Gel, I still love it. I am STILL using the original tube (going on almost two months of daily application with one small tube). I will definitely purchase the larger tube next, as I don't see myself quitting this product. Also wanted to add that even during my mentrual cycle, which is usually when I struggle with the worst break-outs, I only had one small pimple that went away within a day or two. I've even been dealing with a ton of stress lately (also a huge trigger for break-outs), but my skin has been in great shape. When I ran out of the Cerave SA cleanser, I ran to grab more, but since the store was out, I picked up the Cerave Foaming Cleanser and that has been working well along with the Differin.
I will say that this product has also put me in a nice skincare routine. They say if you repeat something for 21 days, the habit will stick, and now I'm obsessed with washing my face and using this product. I never go to bed without cleansing my face and applying the gel, and again, like I said before, I had been fairly lazy about my skincare. Seeing the results from the Differin has made me change my ways. :)

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've been using this product for little over a month. I use their brand cleanser and moisture along with the gel itself. It took about a week and a half before my face changed at all. At first, it was dry and a bit itchy but I did see a slight improvement. I was frustrated and wanted to quit, but for the price, I stuck it out. now, after a month, I'm SOO glad I did. Now, most of the dryness is gone and even the blackheads on my nose are 90% gone. so happy with this product! Yes, it dries out your face....but ONLY where your pores are clogged! Though it days not to spot treat.....using the differin gel itself, I've been treating my acne prone areas daily and less proned areas every other day. ...But still use the cleanser and moisturizer daily. I've also been using a sensitive skin peel-off moisturizing mask ONLY ON THE DRY AREAS, and it definitely helps remove some of the dry skin. **CAUTION** It states on the packaging not to have your eyebrows waxed while on this product....I learned the hard way, don't break this rule!! The wax tore off a layer of skin everywhere it touched. PAINFUL!! The next time, I stopped using the product for 2 days prior to getting them waxed. They were still a bit sensitive, bit all skin stayed intact!

I've been using Differin gel for only 4 nights and the difference its made has been amazing! My acne has faded about 70% as well as some previous scarring. It is drying, but I'll take using an exfoliant and a good moisturizer over acne any day!

on 10/4/2014 12:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Differin is a Vitamin A derivative, similar to Retin-A and other retinoids - it takes a long time to treat acne but once the initial phase of redness and irritation has stopped it is very effective, much more so than Benzoyl Peroxide which I'd say is a better short term treatment/spot treatment. I have been using it for 6 months now and my moderate/severe cystic acne and blackheads have gone completely. I have also noticed much smaller pores and diminished fine lines. If you can manage to get Differin at a reasonable price (my country it's subsidized to $5) then I would absolutely recommend it for people who are serious about getting rid of their acne.