Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.7

on 10/27/2017 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I started using this product in February of this year, used it for three months before stopping (I got a bit lazy to be honest) and have recently started using it again. If I'm honest, I purchased this product because I wanted to diminish some fine lines around my mouth and eyes. I realize there isn't sufficient research out there to market this as a wrinkle treatment, and that Retin A is much more effective for this purpose, but I don't have insurance, and have mild rosacea. Given how mild adapalene is supposed to be, I thought I'd give it a shot. I get a few hormonal pimples around my period but lately, I have also broken out terribly under my jaw line. Since I am prone to hyper pigmentation, the result of these breakouts are ugly, purple brown scars down one side of my jaw/neck area. I started applying Differin to my face and upper neck and was impressed by the results. I have fewer breakouts (and the few I do get heal quickly), has lightened my hyper pigmentation (30-40% better) and the larger pores on and around my nose are definitely smaller. I have also noticed the fine lines around my mouth are also much less noticeable. It hasn't done anything for the lines forming near my eyes, but then again, I haven't used this around my eyes since your aren't supposed to, oh well! It definitely works slowly, but it does work. I did experience some initial purging in February, but now that my skin is used to it, It seems as if I can stop and restart treatment without purging. It definitely made my skin flakey the first time around but it did not cause any additional redness or discomfort.

The way I use this is to apply a VERY small amount (pea sized) onto my ring finger and dab onto my cheeks, forehead, chin and nose before bed every other night. I then apply an even smaller amount to my jaw/neck area. It's a bit difficult to spread at first, but since I follow up with a very emollient moisturizer afterwards (DE Lala whipped) I'm confident the product is being evenly distributed. Lastly, since retinoids make your skin especially sensitive to the sun, be sure to use and reapply sunscreen everyday! Seriously, though, don't use this product if you're going to skimp on the sunscreen you'll end up making things worse. (I like Elta MD UV Elements). I will try to remember to update my review in six months time, I hope by then with continued use and sun protection, I'll have gotten rid of any remaining (or at least 80%) hyper pigmentation! Wish me luck!

I was so excited to try this when it became over the counter. I try to buy it on sale or with a coupon which helps it to become reasonably priced for me. My skin had already been doing much better in the year prior to using differin but I do think this has helped clear the last 10% or so of my acne and helps to treat any pimples I get here and there. I use every other night and only experience dryness in the winter. I only wish this had a reputation for anti aging as well.

In combination with Vitamin C serum, Differin has totally changed my skin for the better. I've been on Spironolactone for the last 15 years to manage my hormonal acne, and that worked beautifully up until the beginning of this year. Out of nowhere (and without even starting new products!), my skin freaked out, and I started getting clogs and painful cystic acne in places where I've never before broken out. I tried all the usual things: washing my pillow cases every night, doing a very bland skincare routine, keeping my hands/hair/etc off of my face. Nothing helped.

Two months ago on Prime Day, Amazon had a lightening deal on 0.5 oz of Differin gel for $8.48. For that price, why not give it a try? I started out using it twice a week at night and using only a pea-sized amount for my entire face. After the first week, I went up to every-other night, which I did for the remainder of the first month. Since then, I've worked up to every night.

Even after two months, I probably have 3/4 of the tube still left. I use only the tiniest amount and dot it around my cheeks. It spreads easily and dries down quickly. I usually buffer it with my other facial products (2 drops squalane+3 drops Timeless hyaluronic acid), and this seems to help with irritation. I have a drastic decrease in the number of painful lesions, and my clogs are almost entirely gone. Differin definitely helps acne go away more quickly, and it also makes it easier to extract clogged pores.

I did have some initial purging, but I honestly expected much worse. Working up slowly to nightly application helped mitigate the flakiness and irritation that others experience. My skin continues to get clearer the longer I use it, but it does take a bit of patience to starts seeing results. I imagine that a lot of the negative reviews are from people who use it too frequently in the beginning and also don't give it enough time to start working. As with all skincare YMMV, but Differin is worth a shot if you have congested skin or hormonal acne (where Spiro or BCP aren't enough).

Will I repurchase? Absolutely!

on 8/24/2017 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It doesn't seem to be effective on active inflamed acne for me, but I'm hoping it will help with clogged pores. It helps peel. I've been using it for one month.

on 8/4/2016 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've used this product intermittently for years. I have combo skin, acne prone. My doctor prescribed this for me because I had no success with antibiotics (oral/topics), OCP, benzyl peroxide (limited success) or glycolic acid/AHA/BHA et etc.

It's expensive, more than $50 a tube.

To be completely honest, I haven't noticed it changing the appearance of my pores. It's hard to say with the quality my skin because I always wear a ridiculous amount of sunscreen anyway and since my teens I have been using high end skin products as a preventative measure. I'm also not entirely sure it helps with my acne, but it's something I use because I get desperate when nothing works.

I have restarted taking this again because currently my acne has become completely intractable.

I'm on the fence on whether to repurchase this or not. It's another tool for me before considering Roaccutane. Anyway, I suppose this might help you, and it might be worthwhile testing out. I just wish I could give a more definitive answer.

on 11/4/2014 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Push yourself past he first 6 to 8 weeks of use. I have clear, dry skin and was prescribed this for its anti-aging benefits. The dryness and irritation subsided . My advice is learn how to use this product properly. Apply a tiny amount on clean dry skin and hold out on you moisturiser for a bit after applying. I have been using this for 3 years and, at nearly forty, I haven't a wrinkle in sight. My skin is smooth and bright and looks as good or better than it did 10 years ago. Wear sunscreen! I have used the cream as well and honestly find very little difference between the two. It Is simply a preference.

It's miracle cream!. It does make my skin a little dry, but nothing moisturizer can't fix. Highly recommend!!

on 4/9/2013 6:06:00 AM

UPDATE: So I couldn't help but give this product one last shot after writing that review! LOL! And I am glad I did. I use it every other night, and I don't seem to have the extreme flaking reaction to it or the sensitivity. I guess I was using it too often. I will continue to see how my skin reacts, but so far, so good.

I have mixed feeling about this product. I think I could have given it a higher rating if I could have tolerated it better, but I don't necessarily think that that is the product's fault.

First, it definitely cleared my cystic acne. Good job! It also clear my blackheads, whiteheads, etc.

Second, it REALLY irritated my skin, causing such severe peeling and flaking, I looked like I had a flake goatee by 10 am!

Third, the skin under my flake goatee was BEAUTIFUL and glowing! However, it also flaked off :(. I just couldn't get through all the flaking and irritation, so I eventually discontinued use. That's why it only got three lippies, that might be unfair, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't try this again, but I do recommend others trying it, because if you can tolerate it, it is worth it.

I got the generic kind and I have really excellent prescription drug coverage for generics (not so much for brand names), so I paid about $6 for it. I also got the lower 0.01% gel.

on 1/5/2013 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I've had persistent cystic acne on my chin for the last 7 years or so, and I really, really wanted this to work. Instead it's been like a bad relationship that I just can't quit. After 8 months of dedicated use, at best, it did not do much of anything (except cause these tiny clogs on the side of my face, so I started to apply to my chin only). But a few days ago, a planet started growing in the middle of my chin, and in my panic and desperation, I grabbed my Differin to give it yet another chance. I don't know what happened, maybe I applied too much, but by the next morning, the planet had spawned its own galaxy and taken over my entire chin. No joke, my chin and lower lip were so red and swollen that it actually hurt to talk. It's been two days now, and I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen to bring down the swelling, which has helped some, but wow. I think I'm finally breaking up with you for good, Differin. You and me are just no good.

on 6/22/2012 6:10:00 AM

I use the 0.1 gel nightly and use sunscreen underneath my makeup in the morning. I apply this right after I shower; my damp skin helps absorb it better. At first I thought a pea size wasn't enough, as my skin wasn't reacting to it at all. However, the dryness and redness set in by night 5, and my skin peeled when I applied makeup. My usual cleanser started to sting a bit, and surprisingly my lips peeled from the differin (I didn't even apply it there). I normally don't use moisturizer, but I immediately went down to the chemist to buy physiogel cream, and will now use it after applying differin. Will update with further use.
5 Weeks Update **

My skin had gotten way too sensitive because I was using too much, so I cut the dosage to only the size of a green pea and only applied it to my T zone. After using it for three weeks with no effects, I added a AHA+BHA exfoliating serum, and my blackheads have decreased significantly. Now the blackheads are not completely gone, but the exfoliating serum has helped clear out my pores, and the Differin gel helps to shrink pores and renew the skin. So far nothing impressive.
Week 9 Update

Finally seeing some results. I now use a pea sized differin on my T-zone, then add an AHA+BHA serum on top (T-zone only), then moisturize with a water-based gel (all over). Recently I have not been wearing makeup and have extracted my blackheads with a tool a couple times, and my blackheads have cleared about 85%. I found out that with Differin, you have to be patient (waiting out the initial breakout and flaking), and "help" the product work. Not wearing makeup and keeping the skin moisturized at all times will help your pores decrease in size. Also, cleansing the skin with cleansing oil will help melt the blackheads away. This new skincare routine is working out great for me.