Differin Gel

3.9

on 6/3/2016 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm on Differin 5 days. Used it 3 times, 2 days gap. At 4th day my skin started peeling a little and my mistake- started using it in summer. So Differin+sun=buuurn!!! It fu**ing burns. :DDD No redness. There is no new pimples by using gel only 3 times. Will continue treatment when it will be cloudy weather.
I will write update after week or two. :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have used this 2 seperate times, both times it dried my skin out so badly I couldn't continue. I initially asked for this as it is supposed to be the mildest form of retinoid, however my skin was just too sensitive for it.

To Read all 184 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/14/2016 2:18:00 PM

This is an amazing product that I have used on and off since the age of 13. I am 26 now. Initially it may make your skin red and peely, but if you push through that adjustment period, your skin will glow. I do think that it looses its effectiveness after a while so I take a few month break every couple of years or so and then it works again like magic. It is also amazing at preventing wrinkles and sun damage. I use this product in combination with many other natural products and oils and this is what works best for me. I have tried to eliminate the differin gel completely because it is not totally natural but i have found that my skin just doesn't look or feel the same without it. I have also tried other perscription retinoids but this one works the best for me. It is so gentle compared to other retinoids, yet highly effective. I have noticed that many girls my age are starting to get some minor wrinkles but my face is totally wrinkle free and I seriously think it is because I have used differin for so many years. Differin definitely helps to reduce acne and clogged pores but is not a miracle cure for acne. I have found that eating healthy (no fried foods, lots of fruits and veggies, lots of water, etc.), taking some skin boosting supplements, and staying active, along with the differin gel, keeps my acne at bay for the most part. Even after all these years, the .1% which I believe is the lowest strength, works best for my skin. I have tried stronger doses and they have just been really irratating. If you have minor to moderate acne or just want to prevent wrinkles, I highly suggest you talk to your derm about this medicine!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has really cleared up my skin. After five months of use I still get zits, but they are nowhere like what they used to be. Differin was especially good at clearing out the whiteheads that refused to go away around my mouth, chin, and forehead. I used Differin over an organic herbal facial oil (evanshealy) at night and I found that combination to be moisturizing and calming. I did get quite a bit of redness and flakiness during the beginning, but it went away after about 2 weeks. Overall I recommend this medicine.

on 8/26/2015 11:29:00 PM

I've tried most of the major topical retinoids - tretinoin (retin-a), tazarotene (tazorac), and adapalene (differin). I initially used them for acne and now use them to prevent skin cancer and to help with photodamage (wrinkling and pigmentation problems).This is my favorite. Tretinoin and Tazarotene, while not making me a flaky mess, somehow cause constant low-grade irritation that often manifested as tiny pimples and ruddiness. This just keeps my skin clear, and has prevented sun-related pigmentation problems (I have more freckling on my neck where I didn't use retinoids when I was younger).

Here comes a little update... last time I wrote that I freakin love this product but unfortunately dont anymore. At first it removed all of my pimples and I was so happy to have found a product like that but a few months after using it it just stopped working. I didn't change any skincare or makeup products. Hate this atm...

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

LIFE SAVER! Guys be patient. This does not work its miracle overnight. You just have to be patient. I'm already on my 12/13th week and already seeing results. My face definitely feels and looks smoother (some of my blackheads and clogged pores from using Physiogel Gentle Skin Cleanser are already gone), skin tone evened out and acne scars lightened. But make sure to use a good sunscreen before going out under the sun!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worked really well for fading acne scars and reducing its redness. My skin purged when I started using this but after a couple weeks I noticed a lot of improvements!

I am on my 2nd bottle of Differin because it's also great for improving texture, prevent wrinkles, and helps overall appearance of skin.

Fortunately, I am covered by insurance so I would definitely use again

on 1/25/2015 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I think this works for people who perhaps really need it or have skin issues but I would not recommend it to someone with minor skin blemishes. I used this years ago when I was in high school. The following all happened while I was 17 years old. This experience has one major theme: irresponsibility!

1. I was seeking perfect skin when I really didn't have major issues and took my doctors advise without a second thought (irresponsible)
2. I noticed my skin was a flakey and sensitive and I continued use, hoping my doctors recommendation would in fact give me flawlessness (even more irresponsible).

The story: I didn't really have a lot of problems with my skin in high school - just the typical breakouts that any girl would have. My doctor recommended that I use this when I complained that my skin wasn't "up to standard" or whatever the hell I thought it should be at this age. She told me to use Differin.

Not only was it seemingly ineffective for me, but it made my skin feel sensitive, but...I wasn't sure. I did notice my skin was a bit dry and flakey but I was just thinking that the doctor said it would help and so I continued to use it. What is the worst that could happen? :)

After about 4 months of use, I went to get my eyebrows waxed as I normally did at the time. The woman applied wax, no big deal and tore it off. Pretty standard. After she ripped off one side, I felt like skin had come off. Being too scared to ask her wtf was going on and why it felt so unbearable I actually let her do the other side. I stood up, paid, walked out and cried all the way home. The wind hitting my face on the way home was too much to bear. The pain was absolutely terrible and I can manage physical pain!

When I got home, literally all of the skin above and below my eyebrows was gone. Missing. Not there. Pure red flesh. One of the most painful things ever. Not to mention the utter embarrassment!

Now, I get it could have totally been the wax and initially that is what I thought, too. After speculating, the wax was not hotter than usual, that woman had done my eyebrows a series of times and the only thing I had changed in my skin care routine was using Differin. I think it made my skin overly sensitive and ....really just weak. I had very resilient/ non sensitive skin prior to using the product.

This is just my experience. If you do not need to use a prescribed product, don't mess with it. I am happy this works for people that rely on it, but for me I do believe it changed my skin in a negative way. I waited three years to try waxing again, and a similar thing happened (with cold wax), I think the strength/ makeup of my skin had changed since using Differin. No big deal I just don't use it anymore.....................OR wax my eyebrows :)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was prescribed to use Differin Gel 0.01% to treat my mild-to-moderate acne, many years ago. I didn't find this product to be a miracle worker, and neither did it do anything to help with skrinking my pores either. It just isn't the best fit my skin, even though I didn't find it to be harsh on my skin all that much. It is honestly the least harsh acne medication that i have ever been prescribed, but at the same time not effective enough to keep keep my acne breakouts under control like i needed it to. Thank God i never had to pay for it, as i would receive boxes with lots of trial sized samples of it inside given to me. As, this stuff is very expensive, i did come to learn.

Also, i cannot speak on it being possibly anti-aging, because when i was prescribed it, i was quite young without any fine lines or wrinkles on my face at all. Plus, I, didn't end up using it that long anyways either.