Differin Gel

Differin Gel

I purchased this because I wanted to see if this would work for me instead of using retin a. I will say this works very well and on my skin is quite gentle. I have been using this for months daily at bedtime and am very happy with the results. My skin is clear and smooth. But I do still get hormonal spots that I sometimes have to use my retin a on. Reason being the Differin gel works but it's not as strong as retin a so it takes longer for spots to go away. I had a cluster of underground spots and it took months with the differin gel to finally clear it. In the end I did use some retin a to finally get rid of the acne spots I had. So I rated this 5 lippies because if you don't mind waiting and putting in the effort in time this does work.

But if you are still dealing with spots for quite a long time I find the retin a works better. Now granted one is now otc while the other is by RX. So I find now that I use them both but not at the same time. I use differin gel daily while I'll spot treat with the retin a when I have a spot that's taking forever to heal. The Differin gel though is an excellent product no doubt about it as both me and my sig other loves it. I use it on his spots too but he only needs it as a spot treatment. For me it comes down to speed and convenience if you have the patience to use this for the long haul it will work. But if you want speed and rapid exfoliation the retin a is the route to go.

I will continue to use differin gel everyday and that is the key with this you must stick with it. I find it very gentle and it's a great daily acne treatment. So to me this does work as long as I use this daily without fail. Also I do not peel at all with this whereas with the other I peel and that's something I really dislike. So for me I prefer the Differin but if I want anti aging use plus acne treatment the retin a is better hands down. So if you're looking for an acne treatment my advice with this is to just stick with it. Give it at least 8 solid weeks or longer. It does work and it does work well. Plus being able to get this otc I think is excellent and a great product for me. Also the fact that it's so gentle makes it a great product for my sensitive skin. Recommended.

on 9/17/2017 2:16:00 PM

I can truly say I think I've finally found the cure to my acne after years of misery and embarrassment. ANYONE who feels like they have tried everything besides accutane (which i refused to use), please give this a try. Obviously, its not an overnight thing, give it a few weeks! My acne would be cystic and painful, and would always reside under my cheekbones, and contouring my face would always be the worst part of my make up routine. The way the directed use with this stuff is has cut my skincare regimen in half. I cut out any salicylic acids/harsh products and just let the adapalene do it's job. I haven't seen my skin this clear since I was in high school, it honestly puts me all up in my feels how much my skin has improved. My skin is almost 100%! This stuff has allowed me to be able to start the process of evening out dark spots and scarring. I am so thankful for this product, and I'm begging you guys to give it a try! <3
side note:
1. STOP PICKING YOUR FACE!!!!! The dramatic improvement I saw from this product made me leave my face alone. I used to pop and pop and pick and pick and my skin would look angry, and my acne would swell. Whenever I pick my face now, I instantly regret it because my skin looked great until I started messing with it!!
2. Use an SPF with this stuff, your skin gets a bit sensitive to UV. I've began using Bareminerals Bareskin spf 20 for some protection.
3. Definitely use before bed! I put this stuff on after a good gentle cleansing and my witch hazel toner. Retinoids, for me, have always been so much more effective as a before bed product.
4. Try to cut out harsh drying products! This stuff has trained me to not over do it (I used to be so guilty of this) I use dermalogica gentle calming cleanser, I also did buy Differin's cleansing wash as well. I seldom use benzoyl peroxide products, maybe for the occasional mask or spot treatment, but my skin is loving the adapalene, that's really all it needs now.
Good luck everyone, I hope this stuff works miracles on you too! xoxo

on 7/30/2017 10:15:00 PM

I'm 64, have struggled with mild but persistent adult acne for a long time, and can't believe I waited this long to try Differin. Okay, I did use my daughter's prescription tube a few years ago, but it was winter. I got too dry and irritated and it was a short-lived experiment. This time I started Differin in the summer, and my skin had no trouble at all adjusting to it. In fact, it's been a life saver in the summer, when I normally experience many more breakouts and clogged pores as a result of the heat and humidity. The other tip that seems to help is to wait thirty minutes after washing to apply it. I've been on it for about six weeks and am seeing big improvements. My skin tone is actually less red than it used to be.

I have written a lot of reviews over the years -- the mark of a never-satisfied customer with sensitive, acne prone skin! Differin has really helped me feel like I'm doing the right thing. I've streamlined my routine and don't feel the need to experiment with products like I used to. I'm sticking with it.

on 8/17/2017 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

So far (3 weeks) I notice this makes my skin smoother, more sensitive, and also makes breakouts come to the surface faster than usual. Not overnight or anything, but breakouts do come to a head faster.

Sadly, this does not prevent breakouts from cosmetics. If I put on a problematic powder, foundation, or sunscreen, I WILL get pimples from it as per usual.

The way I apply this is after moisturizer at night. I wash my face, put either Differin Balancing moisturizer or Vanicream Light lotion on damp skin, let that set/dry, and then I put on a layer of differin gel all over. After a minute or so I dab either PC 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide, or 10% BENZOYL peroxide Persagel. I far prefer the 10% as my face is a frigging mess of breakouts at the moment. I can tell its getting better though, which is at least a relief from the annoyance of getting wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and acne at the same time.

Using this makes my usual chemical sunscreens burn a little, but I still use them BECAUSE I tried switching to there different mineral sunscreens and they all caused me breakouts, setting me back in the improvements I was seeing with the aid of differin gel.

I plan on sticking with this for at least 3 months. Hopefully this works.

In combination with Vitamin C serum, Differin has totally changed my skin for the better. I've been on Spironolactone for the last 15 years to manage my hormonal acne, and that worked beautifully up until the beginning of this year. Out of nowhere (and without even starting new products!), my skin freaked out, and I started getting clogs and painful cystic acne in places where I've never before broken out. I tried all the usual things: washing my pillow cases every night, doing a very bland skincare routine, keeping my hands/hair/etc off of my face. Nothing helped.

Two months ago on Prime Day, Amazon had a lightening deal on 0.5 oz of Differin gel for $8.48. For that price, why not give it a try? I started out using it twice a week at night and using only a pea-sized amount for my entire face. After the first week, I went up to every-other night, which I did for the remainder of the first month. Since then, I've worked up to every night.

Even after two months, I probably have 3/4 of the tube still left. I use only the tiniest amount and dot it around my cheeks. It spreads easily and dries down quickly. I usually buffer it with my other facial products (2 drops squalane+3 drops Timeless hyaluronic acid), and this seems to help with irritation. I have a drastic decrease in the number of painful lesions, and my clogs are almost entirely gone. Differin definitely helps acne go away more quickly, and it also makes it easier to extract clogged pores.

I did have some initial purging, but I honestly expected much worse. Working up slowly to nightly application helped mitigate the flakiness and irritation that others experience. My skin continues to get clearer the longer I use it, but it does take a bit of patience to starts seeing results. I imagine that a lot of the negative reviews are from people who use it too frequently in the beginning and also don't give it enough time to start working. As with all skincare YMMV, but Differin is worth a shot if you have congested skin or hormonal acne (where Spiro or BCP aren't enough).

Will I repurchase? Absolutely!

on 8/24/2017 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It doesn't seem to be effective on active inflamed acne for me, but I'm hoping it will help with clogged pores. It helps peel. I've been using it for one month.

on 7/12/2017 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

What a game changer! My skin looks incredible. I only wish this were made over the counter sooner! Would have saved my skin some fuss in my 20s. I had horrible horrible acne during my pregnancy, I didn't use this then as it's not recommended if you are pregnant or bf, but! This has dramatically cleared up residual hormonal (v stubborn cystic) acne and lightened all the hyperpigmentation left over from pregnancy. If you use this you need to drink LOTS of water though! It will make you less likely to peel. I started a few nights a week and then worked myself up to every other night (eventually rotating nights with The Ordinary's 5% lactic acid + HA serum 👌.) Love this! I buy it every time I see it on sale. Had the best luck with sale prices on Amazon ;).

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have oily skin prone to clogged pores and pimples. Salicylic acid products and Benzoyl Peroxide didn't work and irritated my skin. This used to be a prescription but is now sold over the counter. I buy it at the drugstore for $13.99. It's a Retinoid product. It takes about 3 months used once a day at bedtime to see dramatic results on a face full of acne. After one month of using...wow! First summer not one pimple and it's curing my clogged pores. Make sure you wear a sunscreen during the day because your skin will be more sensitive in the sun. It gently peels off the dead skin on your face. I've finally found something that really works and it's cheaper in the long run. If you break out, say goodbye to pimples.

on 7/15/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Fixed all my acne problems!!

on 7/17/2017 5:04:00 AM

This stuff saved my actual life. My skin was struggling about 6 months ago and when I saw this was in stores, I was so excited to give it a try. My acne has pretty much cleared now, or at least looks better than it ever has. I am confident enough to go out without makeup on now! I have been using this product for about 4 months now, and I don't think I will ever stop. It continues to improve the appearance of skin even after the recommended 12 weeks. It does take around 12 weeks to really see the results, but you can tell it's working after about 3 weeks! My only advice to make the process faster, is DO NOT pick at any acne once you start using it. It will help your skin calm down so much faster. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way, but I truly stand by it! I hope it works for everyone else the way it did for me.
Also, do not get your eyebrows waxed while using this product. it makes the skin too thin.