DHC Lip Cream

DHC Lip Cream

3.9

on 4/19/2013 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased this product on a whim, and upon opening the box I was immediately enthralled by the gorgeous packaging of this lip balm. I'll admit I'm a huge sucker for beautiful packaging, and so I couldn't wait to try the product out. However, I ended up being very disappointed.

The consistency is much like Burt's Bees Lip Balm, which I personally do not like, but I know that many people do. When i first put it on my lips, it was impossible to ignore the lip balm's unique taste, and not unique in a good way. It has the strangest odor I have smelled in a cosmetic product, and within seconds I also tasted a hint of metal which was very strange to me. I was eager to go home and look at the list of ingredients that would make this product so yellow in color, as well as the taste being so repulsive.

Turns out the main ingredient for the balm is lanolin oil. Lanolin is a chemical secreted by lambs and sheep to keep their wool water proof. I was quite put off by this finding, though I do know lanolin has many uses (one being to relieve dry lips).

Pros: nice packaging

Cons: expensive, tastes really bad, doesn't do a good job moisturizing

Overall, I do not like this product, I will not repurchase it, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with this lip balm that i have now. This purchase was very disappointing, especially because it was $10 for not that much balm (0.05 oz/1.5g).

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I like DHC products and had been interested in trying out this product however, I was extremely disappointed!!! It has the consistency of dried candle wax and is probably the worse lip treatment I've ever used. In fact, it makes my lips feel very dry and not at all moisturized, worse than before I put some on my lips! I'm surprised DHC would make such a dismal product. I'll stick with my $1.25 Carmex!

on 5/6/2009 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I picked up few tubes of this in Osaka without even knowing if it was good or not.. so i'm stuck~ Anyway. That certainly does sound like I dont like it that much. The moisturize of it is so-so. I do have to reapply quite often, like every 1 - 2 hours and it actually happens to dry out my lips sometimes (yeah I do talk a lot at work tho lol) This balm is pretty creamy, and feeling a bit heavy. The tube is kinda small and you really don't get much product for the price you paid for. On me, a tube last about 3 months maybe

on 8/8/2008 9:29:00 PM

This moisturizes ok, but has the consistency of petroleum jelly and if it gets a little warm it will melt. Also, for $7 you do not get much product at all. I've literally only used it twice a day (once in a.m., and again at night) for 3 weeks now and I'm already scraping the last bit out of the bottom of the tube. Save your money and try a different product.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I bought this in Japan for around $6-7 at the drugstore. It gets high marks from cosme.net, which is similar to MUA in Japan, which is why I was interested in trying this out. This is the same brand infamous for their Deep Cleansing Oil.

I had this un-open and stored in a cool dark place for over a year before using it. By the time I opened it, it had a distinct rancid waxy smell, but I used it anyway. I can imagine that it was tasteless and odor-less when fresh. I'm not that picky, so I'm still midway of using it daily. I estimate it will last 2-3 months with frequent use. Heed reviews that it will start smelling funky around 6 months.

I would repurchase this again if I knew I would be able to use it fresh within 6 months of purchase.

PROS:
- sturdy packaging, elegant, good heft (metal and plastic), reminiscent of Clinique's Black Honey packaging
- more emollient on the lips than most "chapstick" type balms
- great as a lip treatment
- priced well for what you get
- fragrance free

CONS:
- fragrance free (LOL) This means there is no fragrance to make it scent-free
- must be low on preservatives, because this will start smelling like rancid oil in less than a year
- those allergic to lanolin should stay away

on 4/6/2010 2:34:00 AM

Overall Review:
The packaging is nice & sweet looking to be carry around for touchup & such. Its easy to apply smooth gliding on lips and great to use as base on lipstick. For the price, its kinda steep to get to use in the day only as its isnt performing for night.

Day use: I would say its ok to be use for day use,very lightweight & mild but you need to re-apply frequently in the day. Since it would kinda absorb or dry up in a while.

Night use: Its not a suitable formula to be use for night as it can hardly last you till morning. I realised that my lips are dry up & wrinkled when i wake up in the morning. For night use a thicker formula would better as the application would have to see you thru from hours without re-applying.

on 5/6/2008 5:28:00 AM

This is the very famous DHC Lip Cream thats always ranked about no.1 at Cosme.net. I finally got round to purchasing one myself and it didnt cost me much money, about US$8 maybe.

I bought it in Tokyo and it was Springtime.. the air was very dry and the winds were cold and my lips were cracking apart. On first application it didnt feel at all impressive. Just your regular lipbalm feeling. Nothing unusual. Was about to lose hope but i still put it on the night before i slept, but the next morning the DHC had healed my cracks! It sure doesnt feel or look like anything special but the point of it, and why its probably so famous is that it actually works and is not some prettily packaged gimmick.

Back in Singapore where the weather is hellishly hot and we're all sweating like pigs, DHC grew uncomfortable to use because its so thick and quite heavy. Not to mention my stick has become softer due to the higher temperatures. In Singapore i prefer to use a chapstick that has abit of a cool tingly sensation, so in conclusion i would only use this product in the situation of dry weather.

I actually like the packaging - its a glossy plastic apricot colored lipstick-type twist out container - nothing flimsy, and very sturdy. Ive seen some girls in Japan pimping their DHC Lip Cream by adding on stick on jewels. A cult item there for sure.

edit: i suspect the girls here and i are refering to different products, so heres a pic of mine - click continued.

continued >>

I actually really like this lip cream. Other reviewers didn't seem to like it too much, but I've found it's good. It's really shiny for me, almost like a lip gloss. It has that shiny effect of Vaseline! It does wear off quickly, but that's a common problem with lip products. I find it's a really good base for lip gloss. The only downside for me on this product is the tube. My mom uses this stuff and got me hooked on keeping it in my drawer, but I always seem to mess it up somehow. It has a slanted tip, and a slanted tube. It looks really nice, but as another reviewer said, it's not as great as it looks. First of all, if I press on my lips too hard (and keep in mind I'm not trying to push this stuff into my lips or something, just trying to get it on) it falls over the metal slant, and then the whole top of the cream in the tube is useless, or you have push it back into place, after which it never feels or works the same. I can't say much about the melting of it as one reviewer said. I've never taken it outside of the house and only use it at night since it doesn't have an SPF. Overall I think it's good, but I don't really think for $7 it's all that great. It's not one of DHC's finest products, but I still use it at night until I find something else that works well but doesn't have a bunch of fillers in it.

on 4/23/2007 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Relatively decent lip balm, but too many things I don't like about it. 1) It wears off the lips pretty fast. 2) The tube only lasts a few weeks and for $7 I'd expect months of use. 3) The slanted tube is cute but awkward; when you twist up the product, the "slant" of the lip balm doesn't line up with the "slant" of the tube so it makes it a bit difficult to apply. 4) It gets all melty in my pocket so when you get to the end of the tube and try to apply it, it falls out of the tube. Will not repurchase. I'm sticking with my HG mark Kiss Therapy. One little $5 pot lasts almost 1 year!

I love the sleek packaging of this lip balm (it's a long, narrow tube similar to Laura Mercier Lip Kisses), it feels nice going on and has a slightly glossy finish, but it really doesn't do much to moisturize my lips. For dry lips, I have better luck with Alba coconut cream balm or Carmex, so I probably won't repurchase Lip Cream.

Popular Lip Treatments