4.7

100% pure lanolin

on 1/28/2018 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My original purchase of this was in 1996. A tiny tube of yellow super sticky 'balm' that was nearly impossible to spread on the intended area (sore nips). It also stinks.
Fast forward to 2018. I still have that original tube so when my lips were getting super dry this winter, I thought I'd break it out again (wow, I still had it laying around!) after seeing it mentioned several times on the boards. It did help, and althought it's still super sticky and smelly (like sheep?), it warms to body temperature and is more comfortable to wear (on lips, not nips!) Still, why was this smelly stuff so loved?

Then I saw and purchased a new one and they are *completely* different! The newer version in a larger tube is *HPA* lanolin. It's not yellow and stiff, but a translucent white, very smooth, softer to spread, not quite as sticky as the original and NO scent! (I also noticed the newer packaging says "modified lanolin" and the older packaging doesn't). To me it feels a lot like wearing a MAC Lipglass with the added benefit of being moisturizing. I like that this lasts a while, unlike some other "flash in the pan" lip balms that seem to disappear or wear off rather quickly. This one stick around a while. The larger tube is also a bonus.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is purely an individual review, based on my own experience. I do these as a kind of reminder to myself of what worked and didn't work. If you're a nursing mother, by all means go out and try this--it's safe & worth a shot.

I'm not a nursing mother, I bought this for chapped lips, and maybe alternative uses like for my cuticles or hands. This dried out my lips! I put this on at night, and woke up with my lips dry and flaking. I thought I'd give it another try and applied it throughout the day--nope, this still dried my lips out terribly. This didn't really moisturize my hands either. It's completely useless for me, my skin just doesn't like it. Surprisingly, bag balm (a mixture of petroleum & lanolin) healed my lips completely. So I'm sticking with that.

on 11/21/2017 11:57:00 PM

Discovered this during breastfeeding. Figured if it could soothe my inflamed nips, it could soothe other ailments. And I was right! I’ve used it on everything from a peely nose, to dry cuticles, lips, under eyes, you name it. I’m acne and clog-prone (don’t be jealous!), but haven’t experienced any negative effects. Fingers crossed I won’t, because this stuff is so emollient and comforting. I do wish it came in a larger tube or tub, like Bag Balm.

on 10/1/2017 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I hate this stuff. I honestly don't know how it gets such great reviews. It's so sticky. If it gets anywhere it's very difficult to get it off. Because it's so sticky and thick it feels very heavy and uncomfortable on the lips. After a night of wearing this my lips don't even feel that much more moisturized. Aquaphor is a million times better than this and I would recommend that for super chapped lips.

on 7/27/2017 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This is literally the only thing that has saved my lips. I thought I was doomed to dry, glaky lips. I have adry patch in the centre of my top lip that peels off revealing raw skin then heals over hard and dry again. Teo days into uskng this I couldn't believe how much my lips have improved. And its mid winter!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this just in case I needed it when I had a baby. Well, my nipples were fine...but luckily this is great for other things.

I use it as cuticle cream and lipbalm - I have really dry lips which periodically will get so dry and flaky and just sore. This really helps. I also used it on my eyelids as I used something that really irritated my eyes and it just wouldn't go away. It doesn't smell and spreads easily once warmed between fingers - it can be a little sticky, so I tend to use this to add the moisture and then put a lighter lotion over the top.

This stuff is thick as anything and almost completely impossible to squeeze out of the tube - a tub would be much better for those countries like England where the ambient temperature isn't enough to loosen the texture but it's too warm for the heating to be on! I normally sit on it for five minutes which helps.

I bought this tube over five years ago, so while I can't remember the price I think it's lasted pretty well and is good value for money! I imagine if you use it during breast feeding it might be more pricey.

Overall though for spot treating areas of extreme dryness this really helps.

on 6/4/2017 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I was struggling to help my lips which went through a terrible bout of dryness in the winter that nothing helped -- cracked, bleeding -- the works. Exfoliating just seemed to make things worse. Then I saw the reviews for Lansinoh. Ahhhhh sweet sweet relief! I used it as a night treatment and started carrying around a tube for the day too (turns out my office was also really dry which was part of the problem). There's no need to even exfoliate any more -- just perfect plump moisturized lips. I only wish I could now find a mineral SPF lip balm to complete my lip needs.

on 5/23/2017 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I bought this to pack in my hospital bag for breastfeeding and stumbled across a review praising it as a lip balm on Amazon when I ordered it. So glad I did. This is the best lip treatment I've ever used. Fixes dry chapped lips overnight and when applied sparingly lip stick goes on over this nice and smooth without drying out my lips throughout the day. I also mix a small amount with body lotion for my belly, feet, hands elbows..works wonders on dry skin anywhere even under my eyes as a night time under eye treatment. Cheap, effective and long lasting can't get better than that.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Until I discovered lanolin for lips, I had never been able to wear any sort of colored lipstick/gloss at all because it would just make my chapped lips look super crusty. No amount of exfoliating, chapstick or staying hydrated would stop my lips from peeling and cracking! I first discovered the magic of lanolin by using Dr. Lipp, which is an amazing product, but it is a little expensive. This product is pretty much the same stuff but 1/3 the price. I can wear lipstick now! I can put lipstick on over the Lansinoh or just wear the Lansinoh by itself for a cute gloss. AMAZING product worth the hype!

on 5/1/2017 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have a bunch of mini tubes. Heavy duty relief for chapped lips, rough patches on heels, dry cuticles etc. i use it mainly at night as it can be thick, goopy, sticky. If applied very sparingly on lips, it can be used during the day. Kiehl's lip balm #1 is lanolin and petroleum based (more slippery and tends to travel) and also works for me, but this is cheaper and more effective. Lanolin is classified as an emollient and Vaseline as an occlusive, so sometimes I layer very sparingly. I am allergic to many things and am prone to hives and milia, but this doesn’t cause any issues.

Top Rated Lip Treatments