DHC Lip Cream

DHC Lip Cream

3.9

It's a decent lip treatment and has some really good moisturizing ingredients, but also some that could be potentially problematic for certain sensitive individuals, like olive oil or phenoxyethanol (YMMV). The finish is a little on the glossy side, but not horribly artificial. Never tried it under a lipstick or lipgloss, so can't comment on how it performs in that area, but lip cream also can be applied liberally in multiple layers without a gross coat forming, like with some chap sticks can sometimes. There's no smell or taste to it either, which is a huge plus in my books. I'm just very used to using pure lanolin on my lips and lanolin is pure magic for my lips. The DHC just doesn't compare to the pure lanolin stuff, despite including a little lanolin and lanolin oil, and I have to apply DHC quite often to keep the moisturizing effect intact. So for me DHC doesn't offer anything over any other decent lip treatment (like Clinique, La Roche Posay or Biotherm), and DHC definitely doesn't approach my HG lip balm (Sisley) and doesn't perform as nice as lanolin. The packing is nice, though, no tube that can get grimy when carried around and it seems sturdy enough to survive a couple accidental falls.

on 2/3/2018 6:41:00 AM

This is wonderful, its highly moisturising, emollient and long lasting. Love the tube packaging. Far better value than the Shiseido lip treatment. What would make this a winner is a bit of retinol. I've got the tinted, flavoured and plain versions and have purchased many times. Its best under lippie in AM and once after lunch, its all you need. Melts well and super smooth. Try it, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised, just as I was. Note its lanolin based but negligible fragrance.

on 10/7/2017 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is ultra moisturizing, unscented, and uber glossy. It's not the least bit sticky and has a nice slip to it. It kind of reminds me of a lighter 8 Hour Cream sans the rose smell. It comes in a thinner tube, which I prefer to regular bullet lipsticks. I don't know if lanolin is great for long term use, but I really like this stuff.

on 4/3/2017 6:51:00 AM

Its the best.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

One of the best lip balms ever - it's a champ at hydrating and possibly the lightest lip balm formula I've ever used, since it doesn't even feel like I have anything on. It has a clear, waxy formula and smell but on your lips, it's really light and absorbs quickly. I've decided to make this my new priming lip balm before wearing matte lipsticks, it takes care of dry lips really well. Also the packaging is simple but secure, no danger of this losing its cap when it gets knocked around in a bag.

The only negative is that it's rather expensive for a clear lip balm. I got mine on discount in Japan, but I don't think I'd have bought it at full price. I'll probably buy another tube when I go back, though. That said, this is not an absolute necessity since my Nivea and other drugstore lip balms do just fine, but like I said, I'd love it as a priming balm for lipsticks.

on 9/1/2016 12:26:00 PM

Wow! My lip was very chapped, just after a day of using this, it has completely healed!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is one of my everyday essentials. Unlike most balms which don't do much or even actively dry out your lips (I'm looking at you, Carmex), this doesn't need constant reapplying - once or twice a day is enough. It is the most hydrating product I've found so far. It doesn't feel greasy and can be worn under lipstick. The very simple, organic smell of beeswax is a nice touch, as is the sleek packaging.

I only wish you could get it in shops in the UK! DHC only offers Fedex shipping, which is fast and reliable but expensive.

on 3/16/2015 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a pretty good dupe for MAC prep + prime. At first I thought it was a fair performing balm but nothing to write home about. It is nourishing and moisturising but because of the soft waxy texture the good effects weren't as noticeable until the coating wore off to reveal nice soft lips. I used to wipe it off before applying lipstick but now I leave it on as something of a primer, which the balm texture allows for. I purchased in Japan for ~$6 so good price, but more expensive to import. Still cheaper than MAC though.

This is my favorite overnight lip cream.

Top 5 reasons for loving it:
- It provides long-lasting stain-free hydration
- It's fragrance-free and contains anti-aging ingredient
- It has a nice packaging
- It has the right name
- It is affordable

Check out full review and how to get it cheap at:
- http://bit.ly/dhcLipcream

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I bought this in Japan for around $6-7 at the drugstore. It gets high marks from cosme.net, which is similar to MUA in Japan, which is why I was interested in trying this out. This is the same brand infamous for their Deep Cleansing Oil.

I had this un-open and stored in a cool dark place for over a year before using it. By the time I opened it, it had a distinct rancid waxy smell, but I used it anyway. I can imagine that it was tasteless and odor-less when fresh. I'm not that picky, so I'm still midway of using it daily. I estimate it will last 2-3 months with frequent use. Heed reviews that it will start smelling funky around 6 months.

I would repurchase this again if I knew I would be able to use it fresh within 6 months of purchase.

PROS:
- sturdy packaging, elegant, good heft (metal and plastic), reminiscent of Clinique's Black Honey packaging
- more emollient on the lips than most "chapstick" type balms
- great as a lip treatment
- priced well for what you get
- fragrance free

CONS:
- fragrance free (LOL) This means there is no fragrance to make it scent-free
- must be low on preservatives, because this will start smelling like rancid oil in less than a year
- those allergic to lanolin should stay away

Top Rated Lip Treatments