mystic tan

mystic tan

3.6

on 6/30/2016 4:48:00 PM

I love the mystic tan. You walk in pale and in 4-6 hours you have a nice natural looking tan. Just make sure you use the cream to put on your hands and feet...the more you use the better! It keeps your hands and feet from taking in too much color and looking dirty. Here you can get a month membership for $55. They also have a versa but I haven't tried it. If you are thinking about trying the Mystic go ahead and give it a go..you'll end up loving it!!

on 4/4/2016 9:56:00 PM

Mystic tans always come out looking kinda weird and unnatural. You can see it fading away in patches. Versa spray tan is much better and more natural looking.

on 3/24/2016 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Not worth it. My friend got a dark shade for her senior prom and was completely orange, talk about a bad time to look terrible. Definitely would pick another brand over the mystic tan.

on 2/17/2016 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received my first spray tan (by tanning machine, not the self Mystic tan you can do yourself) a week ago because I was curious and wanted some color. Overall, I love it! I am pale and chose the lightest shade (Light) with a triple dose of Sun-kyssed that had red undertones. I am naturally very cool-toned and when I tan, I have red undertones so I felt this would be best. The salon employee showed me how to stand in the booth and a virtual woman walks you through the process. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes!
The only advice I would strongly recommend is to put a TON of barrier cream all over your hands and feet. Put so much & don't rub it in- trust me! I put a ton and my hands and feet did not turn orange. I made sure to blend the tanner onto my ankles and wrists when I was done tanning. The tan dried quickly and I was able to put back on my clothes in a couple of minutes.
I went to bed and showered the next morning (roughly 10 hours later). The barrier color washed off a little in the shower and I pat dried myself to reveal a beautiful tan! I darkened a good 3 shades darker just by using the lightest shade possible! Make sure to moisturize once a day to preserve your tan. Overall, the tan lasted me a solid 5 days before lightly fading. I am planning on getting a membership to continue doing it, that's how well it worked out for me. Make sure to exfoliate the S*** out of yourself before going into the booth!

on 7/14/2015 10:25:00 PM

Make sure you are using a Mystic Tan HD machine!

I have been a self tanner for years (really decades) using almost every self tanner out there. I tried Mysic Tan a few times in I want to say 2006 and wasn't very impressed and went back to the lotions I was loyal to. I don't know why but as I get older I just get lazy and don't want to apply self tanner lotion anymore. Instead of embracing my paleness I decided to give Mystic Tan another shot for the ease factor. I first tried it about two months ago and I am still Mystic Tanning to this day!

For starters it is very easy and I can be done in less than 10 minutes. The Mystic HD booths are a big improvement from the old Mystic machines. You hold 4 different but easy positions while a warmed up solution is lightly sprayed on you and there is a dryer to dry the solutions on your skin in seconds. You can immediately get dressed after the spray, but wear loose clothing after and stay dry until you wash off the tan at least 6+ hours later.

I "tan" once or twice a week and have always used the light option. It comes in light, medium and dark and per the girls at my local salon the light and dark run a more blue based tan, while the medium is oranger that warmer skin tones can get away with. I don't care to be super tan, just want to have some hint of color to me and the light has always done so.

They have all kinds of fancy add-ons like scents, bronzers and a tan extender but the only one I really like is the tan extender. I always find my skin very soft after it unlike other self tanners that make your skin feel very dry after use. It is also supposed to help extend your tan and help it fade away evenly. The scent of the tanner is not bad at all and very minimal therefor I have never felt the use to try one of the scent additives. The bronzer boosters are nice and give instant glow but they rinse off with the tan so I don't find them that useful.

6 or more hours later I shower and am always left with an even streak-free tan. The tan lasts 3-7 days, applying lotion to keep your skin moisturized prolongs it the most, but again I get lazy doing this.

The biggest improvement with the Mystic Tan from 2006 to now is the tan fades evenly. I stopped using it back then because it got all crackly and gross looking. It is not the case now and fades nice and even. Yes I do use the tan extender add-on most of the time but I have tanned without it too and found it didn't really make difference as for fading evenly. It just makes your skin very soft after use.

Gone are the messy lotions.

Edit: 8/29/15 I am still Mystic Tanning. I actually use the medium color now. My salon was out of light and suddenly changed their tune that the medium wasn't carrot based and would not turn me orange. Prior I was told medium was the more orangy of the colors, light and dark being more red beet based. I didn't have any huge plans that week so I went with it and am happy I did. I was not left orange at all, just more "tan" a nice bronzey color. The color stays a good week and fades nicely. When it's time to scrub off, most of it does in one shower and then I redo my tan. The only weird thing is the medium color will build up in the hair follicles on my upper thighs but I have found if I apply lotion to my legs prior the build up doesn't happen and my legs are left just as tan.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I wanted a little color for my vacation I intended to spend on the beach. My skin doesn't take a lot of sun. I'm fair skinned and I burn easily, not to mention that skin conditions run in the family. I didn't want to take the risk! I'd done the self tanning lotions with not so great results (orange streaks and stained hands) so I wanted to try a professional self tan. I'm glad I did! Mystic tan was great!

For any Ottawa ladies (or gents) out there, I went to Acapulco Beach (http://www.acapulcobeach.ca/). The atmosphere was friendly, the service was great. The staff addressed my concerns and answered questions. The results were excellent! If you're sun shy, like me, but you still like the look of a tan, take yourself to a salon and get mystic tan!

on 12/27/2013 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've tried every self tanner under the sun :) I am allergic to sulfites so a lot of them make me itchy (st tropez) but it's still worth it to be bronzed. I never go out in the sun without sunblock so I depend on sunless to give me a little color. I used the mystic for a long time and stopped because the closest one to my old house was just too far and now I live really close to one! So i started again. For me, I load on that barrier cream on my hands, palms, bottom and tops of my feet.. When the tanning is over I use baby wipes to take off the cream and then I kind of buff some of the left over tan from my arms onto my hands and from my legs onto my feet to give them a little color. It works really well for me and I don't think it looks like I spray tan. I use the Light version of the mystic. These are expensive but the unlimited is an okay value. I don't think they smell at all and I haven't seen it transfer to my sheets!

on 12/4/2013 8:44:00 PM

With a health condition that leaves me unable to be in the heat, it's practically impossible for me to get a tan. I am very pale and I wanted to have some color for my prom, so I went the Mystic Tan route. (I would of preferred to have someone spray me, but being from a small town, I couldn't find anyone who does them.) I used tons of buffing cream, after hearing horror stories, and the young, ditzy girls at the salon told me to go with shade Light, so I did. I didn't notice a difference until the next day when my hands and feet were orange and muddy looking. The tan was uneven. I was told I could go back for 2 more sessions, but with only days left before my prom I was hesitant and decided against it. I ended up exfoliating several times and scrubbing off what I could of the tan and my makeup artist did a really good job with bronzer!

What a load of old ****. Im shocked at just how bad this is. Never again. Such an uneven result and I followed the instructions exactly. Next time i will make sure i do it myself with my tanning products and mitt and save a hell of a lot of money too! Luckily I have a day to sort myself out (remove this crap, before my ball).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've always been extremely pale; never in my life have I had a nice natural tan. I just have the type of skin that burns or freckles but never goes brown, especially on my legs. A coworker of mine has a similar skin type and she came to work a couple of weeks ago with a mystic tan in the color "Glow". I thought it looked nice, and considering my inability to get a tan naturally I thought I'd give it a go.

It being my first time, I found the process a little unnerving. The woman giving me directions was quite snitty and seemed annoyed that I kept asking her questions. She told me to go for the color "light" even though I was a little apprehensive about choosing something darker than the lightest shade. Anyways, the actual spray process was pretty quick but a little freaky, I wasn't given any nose plugs so I did end up inhaling some of the tanning solution but the woman there assured me it was fine. When I got out I was sticky and I stunk to high heaven, definitely don't make plans to do anything strenous or social afterwords.

I noticed a small amount of color at first, but nothing major. By hour four my body was developing a small amount of color, my face on the other hand looked like I had rubbed a mixture or dirt and orange face paint all over it! It was so awful me and my mom just stood there and laughed, luckily after I scrubbed my face and used an astringant the color lightened into a nice glow. The next morning I showered, scrubbed my face again (as it had darkened even further over night) and moisturized really well.

Honestly, I'm still not sure how I feel about the color, I think it might just be because I was SO pale going in. I've never actually experienced having a tan on my body and it just looks so unnatural and foreign to me. I will say though, the color isn't especially dark and I'm glad I went for "light" instead of "glow", but the tan definitely has a sort of orange cast to it that i'm not especially thrilled with. I was told not to put the barrier cream on the bottom of my feet and now the soles of my feet look like tangerines haha. My hands on the other hand are very white (I used a ton of cream) which I suppose is better than them being orange, but they definitely look a little weird next to my darker for arms. I might try putting a little bronzer on them.

My biggest gripe with the process is the price. I live in Canada, and after opting out of the bronzer and the scent (although I did by the extender) they charged me $46, which to me is absolutely bloody ridiculous and totally unreasonable considering the results were just okay and it only lasts a week. I won't be doing this again, for $46 dollars I'm definitely willing to embrace my pale skin.