Deciem The Ordinary 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder

Deciem The Ordinary 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder

Ascorbic Acid

on 1/7/2019 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This aside from tret (trust me: Niacinamide eliminated any flaking or peeling when applied directly after 30 min absorption) as changed me. (And moisture, & acid exfoliating and SPFs vigilante). I’m almost 40 and have a sick skincare routine that’s like 20 iPhone lengths of notes in my notepad. I use LAA each am on non foaming cleansed skin as such: (do French face which is hairline to décolletage and hands which is why my scoop is full) - and I don’t make a batch I do this every am: 1 full scoop in palm. Pour some rose water glycerin spray. (That’s when you’d pH but I don’t need to anymore). A drop or so of Ordinary reservatol + ferulic. Mixed tocepherols 95 from lotioncrafter. Polysorbate 80 to solubize the water soluble C and oil soluble E. Sometimes a hyaluronic essence type thing. Mix it up. Slap it on. The tingle (not burn) tells me it’s 3.5 or below and ~20%. The glow is UNREAL. And instant. I hope collagen is being preserved and it renders my SPFs more effective. My one sun spot on my hand is gone. But will come back every time I don’t reup spf. When my DIY pennies per day serum dries completely, I go on with moisture. I have dry combo (tret induced - was oily combo) skin, not acneic, slight rosacea type 1. Tret at night this in am. Moisture barrier building layers up the wazoo. Wrinkles - static- erased with 6 mos of this routine.

I FORGOT: I use many hyaluranic/snail slime/galactomyces/humectants; then emollients, oils (squalane avocado and Marula faves), urea a newfound winner; always occlude with CeraVe ointment at night, Chok gwang yo (commercial emollients I mix include Ordinary NMF, CeraVe tub, eucerin with urea in ingredients list B4 glycerin... etc). Acids used judiciously-AHA/BHA/PCA. Shark sauce. Snowbang essence. Liquid gold.

ETA: DUH! layering SPFs 365. Chemical (Korean or Japanese chemical first or an American sans oxybenzone but avobenzone ok for me), heavy duty zinc/mineral (love badger), touch up via powder sticks followed by dewy mist cuz powdery looks add on 50 years. My highlighter is squalane. My under eye concealer is ordinary caffeine. I throw in the buffet as well.

I only wear brows and lips now after 25 years of a full face. My skin is beige again (chest looked sunburned all year), and the glowing effect doesn’t look sweaty or oily. I’m pale so the badger won’t be for everyone.

Lotioncrafter LAA powder equal, slightly cheaper. Fave squalane is from lotioncrafter too — neossance (sp?) seems richer than most.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Wow this is one of the few products from Deciem that shows huge results. It made my skin glow and the redness or mild rosacea reduced by using it. I would apply it with Matrixyl or other serum every other night. If every night, it can irritate your skin. Overall one of my favorite skin products out there!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Love this, I can mix it with almost anything I have; serum, lotion or even any face cream, it makes a big difference really, I do mix it with the body shop Aloe night cream which is a really thick cream but the powder dissolves really quickly and beautifully, I wake up with brighter, clearer, healthier skin. I make sure not to use too much though. So far so good I will keep buying this as long as it performs the same way it does now.

on 7/28/2018 5:54:00 AM

I’m on my 2nd container of this and I love it . Makes my skin nice & bright soft and clear . It causes a bit of stinging after I apply but it’s nothing painful. I either mix a scoop of it with the buffet serum or some cerave cream . I use it on my face & neck daily. Also use it on my chest hands and entire body once or twice a week when I remember
The price point is great and it’s easy to use best vitamin c I’ve used

on 5/24/2018 8:28:00 AM

I think this is a product worth buying as there really is no excuse for not trying it out in my opinion. The price is unrivalled and you get a lot (a LOT) of product in the jar. The jar is sealed and the packaging contains a small spatula. I usually mix a small amount of this powder with either my sunscreen or moisturizer. I feel like it helps to brighten my skin a little and it's also hydrating although be careful not to use too much of the powder or it will make your face really sticky. I will repurchase but I feel like the jar is going to last me for AGES. As I said, deifnitely worth trying!

Ascorbic acid is the most studied and effective form of vitamin C for skin. It promotes collagen synthesis (to repair damaged skin) and some studies have shown it can also protect the skin from UV damage (NOTE: it is NOT a substitute for sunscreen!)

This is an ultrafine powder that looks and feels like cornstarch or powdered sugar and dissolves very quickly. It comes in a tinted glass jar but to keep the product fresher and minimize contamination, I transfer what I use into a smaller jar/container (a Sephora sample container comes in handy for this). It also comes with a little plastic spoon that measures approx. 1/16 teaspoon (more on that later).

Deciem says you can mix this with water, water-based products, emulsions and anhydrous products. A good product to mix it with is The Ordinary's Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% serum. Ferulic acid works to stabilize vitamin C, while resveratrol (the antioxidant found in grapes and wine) provides the skin with another source of antioxidants.

Whatever combination you choose, remember not to go overboard with the vitamin C. The solution doesn't need to be any higher than 20% vitamin C for maximum absorption - any higher than that and you may risk irritating your skin.

In my case, I mix 1 part powder (about 1/4 scoop) with 4 parts water and apply before using heavier serums and lotion. There may be some mild stinging at first. Those with sensitive skin who have never used vitamin C before may want to start with 1/8 of a spoonful or less before gradually increasing the amount as their skin acclimatizes.

I prefer to mix a fresh batch daily, but you can premix a larger amount and store for about a week in a tinted bottle if you wish. Keep away from sunlight and watch for color changes which means it has oxidized and is no longer good for your skin.

I've been using vitamin C for many years now and firmly believe it's one of the best anti-aging ingredients currently available. It has brightened my skin and kept most of the wrinkles away (so far!) While I've heard there are cheaper vitamin C powders out there, I trust the quality of Deciem's products and this 20 g jar (at $5.80) should last the average user at least a few months, if not longer.

I just wish they'd shrink the little plastic spoon that comes with this to 1/4 of the current size. They recommend using "1/4 to 1/2 a scoop mixed with 5-10 drops of serum or a pea/dime size of emulsion based products", but it's rather tricky and messy eyeballing that amount when the powder is so fine. It would be much easier to scoop and level off to get a more precise amount, adding more spoonfuls as needed.

If you're looking for some smaller, more accurate and durable spoons to scoop the powder, you might consider the Norpro Mini Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons (available at Amazon) which come in a set of 5 and labeled 'tad', 'pinch', 'dash', 'smidgen', and 'drop'. The smallest three measure 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64 teaspoons.

One last warning: be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after using or the vitamin C may oxidize and stain your fingernails a dull orange color!

(Last edited April 16/18)