Prell Rinse Clean Shampoo

Prell Rinse Clean Shampoo

4.2

REFORMULATION 2017: Ingredients: Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide Mea, Fragrance, Sodium Phosphate, Disodium Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Edta, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzophenone-2, D

on 7/27/2017 11:05:00 AM

A little goes a long way. The very first time I used this stuff, it like transformed my flat lifeless thick hair into a voluminous, new head of hair. It's a bizarre concoction because it's designed to clarify your hair (most shampoos usually strip it to pieces leaving you with flyaways and limp hair) yet it leaves it feeling moisturized and pumped up. I notice that if I use this every day, my hair becomes almost too dry. Maybe it was because the amount I was using was too much? So I cut back the amount of pour into my hand (like a pea size) and start to massage the top only so that when I rinse, it will flow down to the ends. Lately I've been using the Argan Oil Hot Treatment beforehand, then wash with this mean green fighting machine to a great hair day every day! Remember only use a little! I hope they never discontinue this.

on 6/13/2017 9:11:00 AM

For a while there I thought this might get discontinued, but it ended up being bought out by Scotts Liquid Gold Inc (same company that makes Alpha Hydrox products), so it's still around.

This shampoo had a musky, clean, soapy jasmine/ gardenia scent that I absolutely love. Though the formula has been tweaked over the years, it's still a great clarifying, clean rinsing shampoo. It's great on my fine, oilier at roots, dryer at ends wavy hair. I broke a new bottle out the other day because I needed something jasmine scented to wash out my Lush Henna & Jasmine Fluff Ease. They no longer make the matching conditioner, but Aveda Pure Abundance conditioner has a peppermint- jasmine scent, which also goes well with this. Alba Botanicals Hawaiian Gardenia conditioner is another one.

A little goes a long way, but for anyone who finds it *too* cleansing, the easiest thing you can do with shampoos to make them less harsh is to dilute them a little:

(http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-tame-strong-shampoo.html?m=1)

I don't dilute, though, I like to use a little directly on my scalp, and let it get diluted on the length by rinsing in the shower. That way my scalp gets nice and clean, without over cleansing the length. This makes my hair clean, shiny and residue free. I really like this shampoo!

I've gone back to this on and off for decades, and always have a few bottles stashed in case they discontinue it. You can find it for $3-$4.

I used an entire bottle before getting around to writing my review. Yes, I did repurchase and this is definitely a staple hair product for me now. I have long, fine hair that is mostly straight but can be wavy. I tend to get sebum build-up and most shampoos end up giving me scalp irritation and bumps and my hair falls out. Prell has worked great for me, I wash every other day and on in between days use dry shampoo as needed (Batiste wild scent). I am soooo grateful and happy that this was mentioned on the skincare board for those who have scalp issues. My husband is now using also and geez it's less than $3 for pete's sake!

on 12/5/2015 3:43:00 AM

I'd been having a bad bout of scalp acne (possibly seborrheic dermatitis?) and I read recommendations for Prell while searching the boards. I used this stuff to strip bad home dye jobs back in college, so I was a bit concerned that it might be overly drying with regular use. But luckily, this neon green concoction has worked quite well. My bumps and lumps healed up and no new ones have shown up. It's affordable and smells like baby oil, in my opinion. My only qualms are that it tangles my hair up a bit during washing and sometimes I have difficulty opening the lid.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

When I looked up “Prell shampoo” online, I found this quote from Tina Fey which I thought was pretty funny: "In my youth I washed daily with Ivory soap and Prell shampoo. Everyone knew Prell was the best shampoo because you could also use it to clean a frying pan." While I kind of know what she means because Prell is pretty old school, I wouldn't say it's true :-) I think this shampoo is awesome and gets a bad rap, and here's why.
My main problem with so many of the shampoos I've bought over my adult life is that my scalp often feels like there is gunky build-up on it. I used to think it was a problem with my scalp, but it's not because it would change with what product I was using. It's kind of like, the more complicated, expensive, and moisturizing the shampoo- even with the salon brands- the more it made my scalp feel oily and irritated while making my ends feel gross and dry. It's the worst. I thought maybe it was because of hormones, or my hair changing to “combination hair” with age, but when I read up on why this supposedly happens, it started to make sense why using Prell for a few weeks was helping the situation. I know... Prell? Right? Hear me out...
Based on my experience and what I've read, apparently the build up from products like shampoo and conditioner prevents your scalp's natural oils from traveling down the length of the hair, especially long hair. Essentially, it's blocking up your scalp's ability to hydrate your hair naturally, and that's how you end up with a nasty, oily feeling scalp and dry ends.
Since Prell is basically the original clarifying shampoo (before anyone called it that) it gets rid of the gunk which lets the oils from your scalp do their job.
*However, for me there was a phase where Prell did feel really drying to my hair... at first. My scalp felt great but my hair was not so soft. After around the 3rd wash though, I really got the full effect- which turned out terrific! I think my scalp and hair got acclimated to being clean and doing what they are supposed to do, so I ended up with exactly what I wanted. Soft, shiny, full hair.
My hair is thick and dark with medium strands that are somewhat wavy and very long. My scalp is usually normal but goes through periods of oiliness, especially in the summer. Prell not only made my scalp feel really clean , but it stays like that, even 2 days after a wash. The cleaner my scalp felt, the better my ends seemed to feel, AND it continued to get better over time. Like many other reviewers have said, it left my hair light and bouncy with a lot of volume, particularly at the roots. As for conditioner, I only use it at the ends because it makes me break out, and my hair was fine with that method while using this product. *Also, Prell has never stripped color from my hair more than any other shampoo.
Prell may not be for everyone, particularly if your scalp is naturally very dry, your hair tends to break or split easily, or it is really coarse. I'd still give it a try though, even just as a clarifying shampoo every once in a while. It's 3 bucks, so why not?
Yes, its reputation is old man shampoo that you can clean pans with, but it's actually a simple, pleasant smelling, inexpensive product that despite being old school, actually smells very feminine, like jasmine. It reminds me of being at the beach. Don't be fooled by the price tag. Expensive is definitely not always better. Sometimes simple does the trick. It is kind of hard to find so if you like it, grab a few bottles. I'm usually really happy with my hair when I use it, and I always end up going back to it, no matter what I try.

on 12/31/2015 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have very literally run through loads of shampoos weekly just to find the right formula for my hair type. I have dark brown hair which is straight but very voluminous.
Originally, I wanted a shampoo that would add lots of shine to my hair while eliminating the awful build-up I had accumulated at the scalp. I have been using this product twice weekly for nearly 2 years now and have not switched to any other shampoo. It is absolutely brilliant. Not only does it add a natural luster to my hair, but I have noticed a great improvement in the overall health of my hair. I have noticeably less split ends, no build-up at the scalp and my hair shaft has become much stronger. Best of all, it lathers so well you only need two quarter size amounts for your entire head. I couldn't have asked for anything more. I cannot believe this shampoo is so cheap. Considering its success, I would have purchased Prell at a much higher price.

Best clarifying shampoo at any price. I love using it right before deep conditiong masque too.

on 11/9/2015 7:28:00 AM

My husband has a dirty factory job, you know, the kind where the dirt is ground in. He loves Prell and uses it as a body wash as well as a shampoo. We go through a bottle every 10 days or so. I should buy stock! From being the number one selling shampoo decades ago, now it is a little difficult to find, but I get it for him anyway. Love the scent. My hair is very dry so I wouldn't use it but it does wonders for him and he smells so nice out of the shower.

I really love this shampoo. My longish, fine, highlighted and tangly hair can't stand protein, too much silicone, waxes etc. so this is perfect. I use Sheer Blonde and rotate it with this. I would have never considered trying this without having read the awesome reviews on makeupalley. So thanks guys! :) Leaves my hair clean, smelling awesome, bouncy and shiny.

Edit: My hair is platinum blonde now, bleached and very dry. This is still my favorite. I wash my hair once or twice a week with it to clarify and it doesn't over dry my hair one bit. And the smell ahhhh....so so good!

on 6/6/2015 3:09:00 AM

To the dreamers, the bad hair day conquerors, the jilted whose hearts are broken because so many shampoos have failed to to deliver: HERE IS THE SOLUTION!
Prell never lets me down. Its abundant lather-frenzy combined with a totally original fragrance create soft but light, airy locks which my waves and curls love. This radioactive green gel gives me the best hair days ever, and I often only use a light leave-in conditioner. I know Prell has been around a while, possibly longer than me, but it has withstood the test of time. My skin loves it too. And the price is absolutely fair, but varies from store to store. I wish more grocery stores carried it but oh well, Dollar General and Walgreens can usually be counted upon.
I recommend this for any hair. It's as good as shampoo gets.
Edit: doesn't harm color-treated hair
Edit 2: I would like to recommend this to people with itchy skin. There is no alcohol added so your skin won't react. I have had issues with a lot of shampoos because they have very irrigating properties. This one is so basic, making no promises except clean hair, that you don't have to worry about scratching your head all night.
EDIT 3: I think they changed the formula but it's still great especially before coloring.