Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three

Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three

4.4

Not tested on animals

Water (Eau, Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone, Glutamine, Tyrosine (L-Tyrosine), Leucine, Cysteine HCl, Glycine, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey Root), Plantago Major, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Protein, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Sodium Borate, Sulfated Castor Oil, Magnesium Carbonate (CI 77713), Tetrasodium EDTA, Trisodium EDTA, Disodium EDTA (Copper), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is an absolute must for swimmers or anyone who gets a build up from product residue. I had a heck of a time finding this in Canada but my luck changed when I took my kids to get their hair cut and the stylist said their hair was coated in chlorine. She used this shampoo on them and luckily they had it for sale so I purchased it right away. This has made such a difference in their hair. I recently put it to the test and while it didn't lather well initially, guess it had a lot of work to do, once I scrubbed my scalp with it good, I added a bit of water to thin it out and kept scrubbing until I could work the lather through the rest of my hair. This made my hair squeaky clean. It was the exact thing I needed before using my newest and now my HG shampoo and conditioner (Maui Moisture). Some people do not like the scent of this shampoo but I don't mind it. Beware, this is not a sulfate free shampoo but I'm not sure how it can be given it is stripping all the residue from your strands. I'm on the look out for a sulfate-free option and if I find it you can be sure I will write a review on it. In the meantime, this is a great product that gets the job done as you'd hope for.

I have been on here for 10+ years and have never written a review. As a trained cosmetologist I have worked in the beauty industry for 15 years and come across so many products and am such a product junkie/hoarder that I feel like I wouldn't have time to review everything I try. Anyways this prompted me to write a review because out of the 100's of shampoos I've tried, this is absolutely AWESOME! Toronto has hard water and I never quite realized the toll it was taking on my fine, mid-length highlighted hair. I now have swingy, shiny healthy looking hair! And that's after only 1 use! It should be called Fresh Start or Clean Slate because it brings your hair back to life! I was thinking about a haircut to get rid of the damaged ends but not after this!!!! A must try!

on 5/10/2017 9:00:00 PM

This shampoo is like a restart for my hair. It gets all the products residue out of my hair with one wash. The main prob I have with it is my hair smells like a wet dog when I use this. Not nice during my shower( after I use my leave in it's better) I think shampoo two smells better (like limoncello), but it doesn't get my hair as clean;( I use this shampoo three on my daughter's hair on the days when she swims in the pool and people have stopped me to comment on her beautiful shiny hair. I have a fine hair/disgusting well water problem so I always switch up my stuff. But I would buy this again because it works.

on 5/7/2017 4:32:00 AM

I have still not found a better clarifying shampoo for price than this. I combine with #2 for cleaning before applying henna and for post-swimming, and always follow with deep conditioner. I wish there was an all-natural alternative but as far as I can tell, this is the best one your money can buy if you aren't swimming in money!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I started using this shampoo on the recommendation of a hairdresser. I had just returned to Australia from a month in the south of Spain, and the water in that area was very hard and had caused my hair to look dull, lose its shine and feel as though there was a lot of build up in there. This shampoo managed to rid my hair of the build-up caused by the water, and left it looking lighter and shinier. As it is a bit drying, I follow it up with a hair mask from Jeval Infusions but I use the mask as a conditioner - also recommended by my hairdresser. This hair routine has left my hair looking great! It feels light and not weighed down, it feels shiny and healthy. I did not find this shampoo overly drying, though this may be because I was following it with the thick mask. I would highly recommend this product. It is silicone free. It lathers easily, which I think is a bonus and really does a good job of cleaning my hair. The scent is mixture of lemon and floral.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Coarse

My hair is gray, coarse, with a very wavy texture. It gets frizzy when the weather is humid, too. I use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner, plus 2 separate styling products to get my hair smooth and sleek after blow drying and running the flat iron through it.

My hair was starting to get that "starchy", stiff feeling, so I knew it was time to incorporate a clarifying shampoo into my routine. I did a little research, and found Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three.

I have used it 3 separate times. I use my usual shampoo/conditioner (Redken All Soft) 2 consecutive times, then this shampoo and usual conditioner on day 3. It washes away all the product build up without stripping or over cleaning, plus it's a great value at Ulta for $9.99. It has a light, clean fragrance. This will become a staple in my hair care routine.

on 8/27/2015 3:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I purchased this shampoo in a salon during a sale after I found out that my current shampoo/conditioner combo was likely the cause of some bad damage to my hair. It was suggested to me to use this to get the build up out of my hair and start with a clean slate. So I went home and used this in conjunction with a fantastic conditioner from another brand.
I noticed that it doesn't seem to lather up as much as other shampoos, but I am assuming that is because it is a clarifying shampoo.
My hair felt very clean and soft after using this, and it was easy to style as well. I feel like it did its' job.
I am now using another Paul Mitchell shampoo on the daily since I don't need clarifying every day, but I intend on using this once every so often to get rid of product build up!
I would recommend.

on 3/17/2014 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Holy soft beautiful hair!

This is a life saver, I have straight, natural, uncolored hair and for the past 3 mos (since I moved to Germany) it has looked horrible. The hard water caused it to tangle, break and become sticky and gummy. My hair had honestly never looked so bad, it lost its sheen and I was losing a lot of hair, some of it due to breakage. The ends were split and a lot of strands had multiple splits. My once HG hair products were rendered ineffective; argan oil, biosilk, chi silk drops did NOTHING to my hair, in fact, it was kind of weird to slather products in my hair and never see an effect, not even a bit of shininess.
I knew some of the damage was due to hard water build up in my hair and asked my mom to send me a chelating shampoo. Ulta didn't have the Joico k-pak chelating shampoo and so the SAs convinced my mom to buy this one. I was initially skeptical because it seemed it was geared towards chlorine build up and not calcium/ion build up. But I did notice that the ingredients listed 3 types of EDTA, the ingredient that causes the mineral build up to dislodge from the hair. Fast forward 2 washes, and my hair is in unbelievable shape, it is soft silky, tangle free and in amazing condition. This is a miracle worker and I am so happy with the results, I keep touching my soft hair :)

on 3/15/2014 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I'm actually pretty surprised, this works pretty well. I live in an area with hard water and didn't realize how it was affecting my hair. I used this (my mom bought it for when we went to the pool) and my hair is now shinier and lighter (in weight).

It doesn't feel like it strips my hair, it is very gentle but removes all of the hard water and the build up from my hair products. This is a close second to my Redken Cleansing Cream.

My only complaint is that I got a really big bottle, and it doesn't come with a pump. So I have to pick up this big heavy bottle and risk dropping it on my foot from slippery suds.

I finally started a proper hair regime which includes circling through 3-4 different shampoos depending on how my hair and scalp feel. This one, a holy grail for many it appears, is what I use to clarify my hair. I tried clarifying a few years back but didn't like how scratchy it made my hair feel so I never bothered looking for another product. It was't a problem at the time, since my university piped soft water into our showers. However, moving back to a hard water area meant I needed to figure out how to return my hair to it's commercial hair glory days. So far, I really enjoy this product because I don't feel the need to wash my hair every day anymore, and it lathers very well in hard water.

I've read that its recommended to clarify your hair once a week, but I almost never put any product into my hair so between this and the other three shampoos I rotate with I probably only clarify twice a month.

Popular Shampoos