Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.4

on 6/4/2018 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I so wanted to like this! But it breaks me out every time. I get huge cysts and red pimples with white heads all over my face.
So far it is the only The Ordinary product I don't like

on 5/26/2018 8:37:00 PM

I really love this product BUT when it comes to The Ordinary, nothing is a one-size-fits-all kind of product. I have combination skin, t-zone is oily with visible pores and pre-menstrual acne flares, outer parts of face get a little dry and I am prone to seborrhoeic dermatitis and flaking around my nose, mouth and chin. Yes I know, sounds beautiful LOL

Anyway, as I have issues with oiliness and excess sebum production, pre-menstrual inflammatory acne lesions, and when SD appears in the summer there are hyperpigmentation issues to boot. Niacinamide, also called nicotinamide, is a variant of vitamin B3, niacin (or nicotinic acid). Applied topically in concentrations of 4% daily for 4 weeks, studies in Japanese women found consistently reduced rates of sebum production, decreased number of inflammatory acne lesions, and improvement in pigmentation issues. It's great stuff, and has certainly helped my skin look less oily and blotchy while reducing both the number of spots and the length of time they stay red and angry on my face. Best of all, it's quite cheap - I like TO's one since it's £5 for 30mls at 10% strength, whereas the Freederm gel is £5 for 10g of 4% strength. But still, it won't break the bank if you were to buy that one instead. I use this one just because I get the most for cheapest, and I like the little pipette design so I can mix a few drops into my moisturiser. I'm not convinced the addition of zinc does much but it is known to have antibacterial properties so maybe it is some help, who knows.

Most people will tolerate niacinamide well, but some people are sensitive to the niacin/nicotinic acid forms and this can cause flushing and irritation on the skin of some people. Niacinamide can be partially converted into niacin on the skin if it comes into contact with acids, like vitamin C treatments - or even naturally occurring ones in the skin's acid mantle. It's only a tiny amount but for people sensitive to it, it can cause the unpleasant symptoms noted above, and is why niacinamide doesn't agree with everyone.

So yes, some people will want to give niacinamide a miss. At least it is fairly cheap so you won't be left too out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you. Worth trying if you have issues with oily skin, inflammatory acne, or pigmentation issues and want to see if it helps!

on 5/15/2018 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin loves niacinamide. It gives me a glow and definitely helps my hormonal zits to go away quickly each month without leaving any redness behind. I was afraid I might find the 10% concentration to be too drying, but it's been fine. I'm not sure why the zinc is in here given that it has no proven skin benefits and seems to do nothing but precipitate into a white cast and interfere with makeup application, but whatever, it's $6, I'll deal. As long as TO makes this stuff (which may not be that long given the CEO's mental health situation :/) I'll buy it.

on 5/3/2018 12:27:00 PM

i wanted this to work for me soooo much. in theory it should be perfect for dealing with almost all my skin issues, but it broke me out in deep painful cysts withing three days. they disappeared fairly quickly after i stopped using it thankfully, but still. what a bummer.
Aaand so niacinamide was officially added to the long list of holy grail ingredients my face can't handle, right next to aloe vera and madecassoside.
having sensitive skin suuuucks.

I don't get pimples very often and when I do they're usually pretty small but my skin looks like a mess because even the tiniest pimple that you can barely see leaves a dark mark that seems to last FOREVER.

Since I started using this, I haven't had any zits except for one, which went away before it amounted to anything, and more importantly, it didn't leave a mark!

As for the marks that are already there, this product seemed to fade them a little bit, but I've seen better results in that area since I added Vitamin C back into my routine. I did notice my skin looking brighter and smoother on this product alone.

The first week or two of using this I felt some mild tingling, and it's still a bit drying to the skin. I use this in the morning so I've swapped my day and night creams because of that.

I like the packaging. The little glass bottle is cute and fits nicely in my medicine cabinet. It's easy to control the amount of product you get and nice that you're not fighting with a pump that gets clogged or contaminating the product by sticking your fingers in it. The serum itself is easy to apply quickly and evenly.

I know some people have complained this broke them out but for me it was the total opposite, and since the product is so inexpensive I think it's worth a shot.

on 3/20/2018 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I purchased this after reading about The Ordinary products online, and finding it on sale at Priceline.

I don't use it every day, as I alternate between this and my Glycolic Souffle. I've noticed a remarkable improvement in my skin texture and a reduction in the number of spots I get. I use it before I put on my moisturiser in the evening, but have also used it during the day. It spreads quite thin and you don't need a lot. If you put too much on, it can feel a bit drying and funny.

There's a bit of a smell, but that disappears quite quickly.

I have taken to recommending this to friends who are looking for a cheap, do-it-all product. Give it a go and if you don't like it, all you've wasted is $10.

on 3/11/2018 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I already knew niacinamide worked well for me so I won't touch on that aspect much (helps redness, smaller pores). I was using the Paula's Choice booster. In comparison, this is much stickier and thicker. I thought I wouldn't like the consistency but it sinks in quickly and I put makeup on over it fine in the mornings. I use this morning and night and I use it closest to my skin in my routine. I swipe the dropped across my forehead, each cheek, nose, and chin. I also appreciate the added zinc so I don't have to get that from another product.

on 2/27/2018 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using retin-a as tretinoin prescription medication for 5 months now. I've gone through that horrible initial breakout. That may be why the reviews for this product are not as great as I would have expected-- people who havent used vitamins a,b, and c will have breakouts for a few weeks from this.

This stuff is seriously amazing. I've had family members notice the improvement in my skin since using this. My zits (and cysts) last a third of the time when i apply this and the oil control is seriously INSANE. I stain my pillows yellow with sebum (tmi) but with this it has reduced to the point i blot only once a day.

Using vitamins A, B, and C will cause irritation and breakouts at first, but if you stick with it, it will be worth it. And if you really can't bear it, the price is right. It's a no risk product.

on 1/24/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this as a scalp treatment and a possible alternative to my current 5% niacinamide serum (Stratia Rewind), but where this really shines is as a spot treatment for active acne. I tried putting on my whole face one evening and it really dried out my skin but I did notice the the acne I had shrank quite a bit. Since then, I've stuck the Rewind for all over my face, and only use this a aspot treatment. I've even used it to calm acne on my back.

I also use it to calm my scalp that gets itchy from seborrhic dermatitis in conjunction with anti-dandruff shampoo and Hada Labo Lotion to moisturize. After a shower I rub in some Hado Labo followed with 1-2 droppers of this serum. It seems to help calm the itch and niacinamide is supposedly good for scalp health.

I know other people say this is sticky but I haven't noticed it, its not as slick as my Stratia serum but glides just fine.

on 1/23/2018 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

One day after using this serum for 2 months I caught a glimpse of my face in a mirror at the drugstore one day and was both delighted and dismayed. Why? While it does lighten very well, in fact, I could not see my melasma at all but my skin was so so dry. This serum has zinc and that's not so great for someone with dehydration prone skin. Niacinamide is extremely effective on melasma and I recommend this to anyone with oily or combo skin. My skin felt smooth but it looked textured and my pores were HUGE because my skin was so dehydrated. I've moved on to Holy Snails will do a review on that in March 2018