New Wash

New Wash

3.6

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil. Conditioning: Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Equisetum Hiemale Extract, Behentrimonium Methosulfate. Other: Keratin and Hydrolyzed Keratin, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Menthyl Lactate. Other Non-key: Gluconolactone, Panthenol, Sodium Benzoate, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract5, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract5, Isopropyl Alcohol, Citric Acid4, Ceteareth-20, Trisodium HEDTA2, Calcium Gluconate2, Phenoxyethanol2, Tocopherol2, Cetearyl Alcohol, Alcohol6. Fragrance: Cananga Odorata Flower Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil1, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood ) Wood Oil1, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil1, Myroxylon Pereirae (Balsam Peru) Oil1, Guaiacum Officinale Wood Oil1, Pelargonium Graveolens Oil1, Citronellol3, Geraniol3, Linalool3.

on 10/12/2017 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have fine hair that gets oily in the scalp but dry and brittle in the ends. Over the last years I have stop dying it and tried to wash it less often, but the ends have gone drier and frizzier. I have used a lot of leave-in products and oils, but I have not been really satisfied with anything for long. Instead, I have gotten used to a lot of dry shampoo in the scalp to avoid the grease and to put my hair up in a bun to hide the dry ends every other day.

I first heard of New Wash from a friend who lives in the US. When I saw that New Wash finally was able to get in Europe a couple of months ago, I decided to give it a try (it is expensive and we have to pay import tax as well). I watch the video on how to use it and read a lot of reviews, so I didn't find the first wash difficult. I could immediately feel a difference when touching a stray of hair, it was smooth all the way without the knots I was used to. I only used the New Wash and some styling spray (instead of the ordinary shampoo, conditioner, Moroccanoil, Kérastase leave-in hair ciment and styling product + hairspray) and my hair seemed a bit bouncier but yet in place. No frizz, no grease, no dry ends. Once the first month of using it, my left side got greasy, so now I pay attention to use the right amount of product.

After using my first bottle for a month it is almost gone and I have signed up for the New Wash club. I think I have finally found the right thing for my hair. It isn't dry anymore, I don't have to wash it every day (but I love the fact that I can!) and it seems to grow faster. I really recommend New Wash!

on 10/3/2017 9:38:00 AM

AFTER STICKING WITH THIS FOR 5 WEEKS IT'S NOT WORKED FOR ME. YESTERDAY WAS THE FINAL STRAW, WHEN I WASHED MY HAIR AND IT JUST LOOKED GREASY AS SOON AS IT WAS DRY.
THROUGHOUT THE MONTH I'VE FELT MY HAIR WAS JUST DULL AND IT FELT DIRTY. I'VE WATCHED THE VIDEOS, LISTENED TO WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID, TALKED TO MY HAIR DRESSER WHO IS A SELLER OF THIS AND IT'S JUST NOT WORKED. FOR THE PRICE TAG TOO I'D EXPECT MY HAIR TO BE AMAZING NOW. I'M NOT SEEING ANY LESS HAIR LOSS WHILE WASHING, IN FACT I'D SAY I'M LOSING MORE. NOT FOR ME. SHAME TOO. DONT KNOW WHAT I'LL DO WITH THE 3/4 OF BOTTLE, WASTE OF MONEY IN MY OPINION. I HAVE WAIST LENGTH, UNRULY HAIR WHICH IS COLOURED AND WAS HEALTHY. I'M NOT SURE IT STILL IS HEALTHY. IT'S A HUGE NO - DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY FROM ME. I'VE TRIED TO WRITE A REVIEW ON THEIR SITE AND IT WON'T PUBLISH

I love this stuff. I have the most insipid hair in the world. It's fine, straight, and light brown that's slowly mixing with grey. It gets oily extremely quickly, and I have to wash it every day if I'm going to be seen by other human beings, and every second day if I'm not. If I get a sudden invitation to go somewhere I have to make a dash to get it washed. I ordered New Wash, not hoping for much, it didn't sound like it would work for me at all. But it leaves my hair soft and airy, yet looking like it has a bit of texture, and it feels nice. I can go two days easily, and even three, without washing and not be embarrassed by flat, greasy hair.

My husband, who also has very oily and fine hair, uses it as well, and his can go for a couple of days and still look clean and styled.

I've reordered a couple of times, and am on my way to order more. The negative of it, as others have mentioned, is that it's very expensive, and between the two of us in the house using it, it kinda uses up our beauty budget. It's also more time-consuming and fidgety, if you're in a rush just to have a shower and get out the door. But, I really, really don't want to go back to using regular shampoos.

This review is a bit overdue, but wanted to make sure I could save anyone from wasting $40. Luckily I wasted no money on this product, otherwise I would've been even more upset. It was given to me. Tried to use it for a few months. Turned my hair brassiest orange you've ever seen. Also the people who work in Hairstory were talking about their dating/sex lives openly. Weird and gross. Don't recommend this product or the salon. Negative stars, plain and simple.

on 9/2/2017 10:58:00 PM

Bottom line: if you absolutely hate the idea of washing with detergent, try this. But that's the only plus to this product.

My hair is colored, slightly wavy, and frizzy. I've tried many s/c over the years and nothing makes a difference. I decided to try this in part because one reviewer said it cured them of their seborrheic dermatitis. With the first wash, my hair came out better than normal - clean and slightly weighted down (good for me), but not greasy. With the second & subsequent washes, it came out like it does with any s/c - clean but poufy.

Yes it seems expensive but you are getting two products in one. And yes, it took 10 pumps of product on my hair, but the pump puts out very little -- it was the same sized blob of regular s/c so I did not feel like it took a lot of product to clean my hair.

I was surprised my hair felt clean with this, yet conditioned. But still, overall, it wasn't great IME. I don't hate detergents enough that I think I'd repurchase.

on 3/22/2017 11:12:00 PM

I'm a convert.
My hair is thin and wavy. It was always dry and frizzed easily. The most amazing changes are that I wake up with much less messy hair, we're talking the difference between rats nest and just a bit of wonkyness most days. This along with the fact that my hair does not get oily since the shampoo doesn't strip your scalp causing it to produce excess oils means that for the first time in my life I can pull off second day hair! I purchased the $40 dollar bottle and was in love by the end of the bottle after maybe 4 weeks. My hair is currently a short bob length. I saw good things happen from day one, but I'd say I knew for sure after a week or maybe two. It's been 4 months now that I've been using it and have found a $90 bottle at approx one pump per day lasts me about 3 months. Be careful when ordering the large quantity as I managed to join the club twice and get a bottle shipped to me a week after I repurchased one after joining the plan....oops. I'm excited to see how my hair behaves when all of the growth has been washed in new wash only as it seems that my hair is getting healthier and healthier. I apply one pump amount to the roots of my wet hair, flip my head upside down and rub into all the root areas well. Use a scalp massage brush such as this one to massage it in and comb it through the ends. https://www.amazon.com/Shampoo-Massage-Brush-Assorted-Colors/dp/B0002RPTX4?th=1 Leave it on while I get clean and rinse out while combing it again. I remember not loving the smell in the beginning but must have gotten used to it over time cause I don't notice it now...

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been slowly transitioning away from soaps/cleansing products for the past year but was struggling to find a hair washing alternative that I was comfortable with. My hair is naturally blond, wavy (though either frizzy or stringy, never flattering), mid-back length and thick, though the hairs are fine and prone to dryness and breakage. I was using Davines products before hand and was relatively satisfied with the results (though not the price) however I wanted something free from detergents. I was really excited when I learned about New Wash as it seemed like the perfect alternative to shampoo so I ordered the 8oz bottle. It arrived in two days!

The product definitely takes some adjusting to but it's worth it. So if you're disappointed by the results, try and stick it out another week or so. I've been using New Wash for about two weeks and finally have the gorgeous, soft hair I was promised. It's really important to follow the directions, massage your scalp well, use A LOT of product (sadly $$$$) and rinse it out EXTREMELY thoroughly. The first few washes I was left a greasy mess even after rinsing for what seemed like forever. The box comes with some troubleshooting tips which were helpful but I think your scalp just needs some time to calibrate it's sebum production when coming off of traditional shampoos. I had a SUPER greasy patch migrating to a new place on my head after every wash (which was hilarious and frustrating). I also had a day of really bad dandruff which I've never had before. Between wash days I was forced to use excessive amounts of dry shampoo and I was nervous the New Wash wouldn't be able to remove the buildup but it did! If you have long hair like me, make sure to comb it through in the shower and apply some product to the ends (when I didn't they were very dry) and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. I also only air dry my hair so not sure how it holds up with heat styling and I don't use any other products except a bit of moroccan oil in my ends.

Overall verdict: After two weeks of washing every other day my hair is soft and voluminous and my ends and scalp are well moisturized. There is no more dandruff or greasy patches and my waves are more defined. My split ends are much less noticeable and overall my hair looks and feels healthier. I'm very pleased with the results. The scent is awesome and not overwhelming and the packaging is simple and travels well. I'm curious to see if eventually I'm able to wash my hair less frequently and will update once more time has passed.

on 12/20/2016 11:19:00 PM

I haven't washed my hair in almost 7 days and it looks as good as day one! My hair is stronger, healthier, growing faster and way less oily. The texture of my hair isn't so smooth and slippery all the time. It's thicker and easier to style. I used to have to wash my hair every 2 days and sometimes every day. Love this product. I'll be the crazy person bringing it to the hair dressers and saying "sorry you can't put shampoo in my hair you need to use this". I ordered the 8 oz bottle and it will last me approx 3 months with shoulder length hair. Ordering the autoship program now.

on 11/26/2016 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've been using New Wash for the last few weeks. Having tried the many products that claimed to be life-changing but failed to deliver, I wasn't sure how much of a difference New Wash was really going to make. But I was intrigued to give it a try. For context, you should know that my hair is color treated, curly, oily and almost always at least a bit frizzy. It takes a lot of conditioner, treatments, styling products, time and a very good hair dryer to make my hair behave. And even then, the look is only going to last a little while. So whatever New Wash had in store for me, the odds were good that it wasn't going to put my hair in any worse shape than it already was in.

First the good:
-My hair is much healthier looking and better behaved after using New Wash. With regular shampoos and conditioners, even cowashes, my hair would get oily and kind of gross after a few days. I could maybe go three days maximum before it would need to be washed again in order to be presentable. That is not the case with New Wash. My hair looks freshly washed for at least two days now.
-My hair used to break off all of the time, even from little things like brushing it or running my fingers through it. Since using New Wash, I can't remember the last time I've had a hair snap. The amount of hair I shed during the day seems to also have tapered off.
-I have no idea why, but my hair used to look like an absolute, unworkable wreck in the morning. Since using New Wash, my hair still looks mussed, to be sure. But overall, it looks much the same as it did before bed.
-I've been getting scalp breakouts lately, seemingly from the many shampoo and conditioner combinations I've been trying. I don't think I've had even one since I started New Wash.
-Despite a shipping snafu that led to a quarter of the bottle exploding into the box before it reached me, I still have not finished my bottle of New Wash, even after three weeks. This was not what I expected, given how much more product you need to use per wash compared to normal shampoo. Since it has no detergents in it, New Wash doesn't foam. So you need about the amount you would use of a conditioner or a cowash.
-Re: said shipping snafu, Hairstory (New Wash's parent company) apologized profusely for the problems and shipped me out a new bottle the next day. I was definitely impressed with their customer service.

Now on to the few negatives I've experienced:
-I have not found it to be the case (as Hair story claims) that you don't need to use conditioner with New Wash. I've found that my hair looks healthier and happier with conditioner than without. However, I do not always have time to leave New Wash on my head for as long as they recommend. And, as I mentioned, my hair is curly and color treated, so it needs all of the moisture. If yours is more laid back, you may be fine without additional conditioner.
-The price. $40 for an 8 oz bottle, $90 for a 20-some oz bottle. Even by my Bumble and Bumble loving standards, that is steep. I would be lying if I said that the price didn't make me hesitate about repurchasing.

However, New Wash does seem to be the only game in town as far as detergent-less shampoos. If there was a product that performed as well and cost less, I would be all over it. But I don't think there is, and I've tried enough other products to be sure that I'd have found it by now if there were. Factoring in the products that I won't need to buy now (S Factor conditioner in bulk, hair masks, reconstructors, deep conditioners, anti-breakage products) I should at least break even, if not actually save money by sticking with New Wash. And I really don't want to go back to dealing with the hair problems I was having before. So we'll see, but I'm leaning towards repurchasing.

on 7/13/2016 11:41:00 PM

I have thick, wavy, coarse-ish hair, and my daughter (age 6) has fine hair that curls in type 3a/b ringlets, and both respond very very well to New Wash, used as directed. I wish it were less expensive but I find it really works as advertised--including the bit about no need for conditioner, which I never thought would be true for either of us! We've been using it exclusively for the past several months and I'm just as pleased now as I was at the beginning. The result is always soft (but not frizzy or flyaway), clean, shiny, well behaved hair and happy, nice-smelling scalp. The scent is a bit minty, unobtrusive.

When I got a haircut recently, the hairdresser of course washed my hair with something else and I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. Everything was poofy and my scalp was kind of tight and itchy and just... bleah. I felt I should wait before washing with New Wash because, in general, washing my hair too often only exacerbates poofiness and itchy scalp, but the next day I was like UGH I DON'T EVEN CARE and washed with New Wash anyway, and to my delight, it really did reset everything to its comfy, well behaved former state.

Would it be good for straight hair? It advertises itself as good for every hair type, but I don't know! It's also worth noting that I don't generally use silicone-y styling products that might build up in the absence of sulfate shampoo. Finally, the water where I live is fairly hard. That, in combination with shampoos/conditioners I've used in the past, has been a recipe for needing occasional doses of clarifying shampoo. So far that has not been the case with New Wash.

For me, the look this gives is: no mushroom head, shiny waves, that coveted second-day hair look with no greasiness, and no feeling of either tightness or gunkiness. For my daughter: curls are wonderfully sproingly (new word!), cohesive, and tangle-free.