Sunday Riley Good Genes

Sunday Riley Good Genes

3.7

NV-5 Ageless Complex (Opuntia Tuna Fruit (Prickly Pear) Extract, Cyripeedium Pubescens (Lady’s Slipper Orchid) Extract, Opuntia Tuna Fruit, Opuntia Vulgaris (Cactus) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract & Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Yeast) Extract), Lactic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Squalene, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Arnica Extract, PEG-75 Meadowsol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-20, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, DMDM Hydantoin.

on 12/10/2017 10:11:00 AM

I bought it after looking at Stephanie Nicole's video comparing this to a drunk elephant serum. I don't follow a skin care routine as regimented as hers nor do I use as many products as Caroline Hirons suggests you use. But, I like their overall skin care advice.

My current skin care routine and skin care advice I have followed is below:
I had bad acne and bad scarring 3 years back. Acne was not debilitating but a handful in cheeks every month. I was following no-foam policy of CH back then. But now and ever since I began to have good skin (ie only acne free) - 3 yrs of no acne breakouts - I've been using a cheap Dove cleanser + minimal products. It is foaming but not drying. I used another Clarins foam cleanser and I began breaking out again. So a non-stripping cleanser has been my biggest game changer when it came to stopping acne. Good genes did not help stop acne so want to mention that. I love Dove and Ceramic Slip by Sunday Riley. Ceramic Slip is better but expensive. With my current cleansing routine, I use bioderma followed by coconut oil or any cleansing oil for face and follow with Dove face wash. I use hot wash cloth in combination with oil cleansing and do this only when I use makeup.
I stopped having acne after this routine but still had a lot of purple brown hyper pigmentation, texture, dry cheeks, dull skin and I never thought I'd have good skin again especially never thought I'll be able to fade hyperpigmentaion and blemishes. I wanted to tell this because I started good genes when I had no active acne but had the concerns I noted above plus blackheads and skin congestion/whiteheads on my cheeks.

My skin got better dramatically with good genes. I've used dove cleanser + tidal as moisturizer + good genes + nuxe eye cream for over 10 months now and with only these my skin got dramatically better.

How I came to buy this: After much Caroline Hirons reading, I concluded I had to get an acid exfoliation and retinol in my routine. I bought Paula's Choice BHA 5%. It peeled me and caused excessive redness and flaking and dry parched skin near nose. I binned it after 3 months of use. Then I bought Good Genes. This one is aha/lactic acid. This product is nothing short of brilliant. My scars are still there but look smoothed out. All my hyper pigmentation and redness near nose is gone after I've gone through one bottle of this. All my other concerns noted also improved a lot. I used this up in 10 months as I did 1x, 2 days a week for first few months and 1x daily for the last 4 months. I used it sparingly and only intermittently the first few months. I believe my next bottle will be over much sooner. This product is incredible and it works fast. The skin looks plump and supple the next morning after application. It does not absorb fully and looks shiny/sticky on top of skin after application. But it works, nevertheless. I will buy this one as long as they sell one.

Order at night :
Wash face with Dove. Do bioderma + oil cleansing if I used makeup. Still follow up with dove.
Good genes + eye cream

Pros:
- hyper pigmentation and redness gone w/one bottle usage over 10 months. I had a few stubborn purple brown pigmentation spots and two three blackheads a month on cheeks before using this. Redness around nose is gone. I'm extremely happy with my skin now.
- blackheads on cheeks almost stopped. On my nose I still get a few tiny ones but major ones no longer appear.
- no peeling or flaking or dryness. Easy to slap on and go during night. No frills. I never used a moisturizer with this one every single day I used. I never got a drying feeling from this. Rather I had supple skin next morning.
- improves texture to an extent and cheeks feel less congested - lesser whiteheads or bumps. I've not had whiteheads or any kind of bumps for as long as I've used this.

Cons:
- very very expensive

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product, i have a sensitive skin so, when i used this after 2 days it made patches of dry and irritated skin. But then idiscovered that i need to not use it everyday and let my skin get accustommed!! And it did! My face looks whiter and i got complements from my coworkers. Also, ive been hearing that its too small but 1 bottle can last me 2 months half. And thats 2x a day. So for for me its worth it!

I bought this product because of the current hype about it on every single social media plattform and this time I do not regret it! I used the lactic acid 5% from The Ordinary before and though I looooove most of their products, the lactic acid made me break out every single time I used it. So I was a little scared to use the Good Genes at first but since everybody and their grandma raved about this product so much I just gave it a try and - WOW! I have visible pores in my under eye area and after only using this product twice even my boyfriend saw a difference - if that doesn‘t count as a reference than what does ;)

on 8/16/2017 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this as part of the "Power Couple Duo" value set at Sephora, which included a small bottle of Good Genes and the Luna oil. I liked the combination, which made my dry skin very soft and moisturized. I could feel Good Genes "working" the first few times I applied it (slight tingling sensation) but I didn't notice any real difference in the clarity or tone of my skin. I was also frustrated by the difference in the amount of each product you get in the value set, as I ran out of Good Genes waaaay before I ran out of Luna. Overall, I think lactic acid is an amazing chemical exfoliant, but you can probably find an equally good lactic acid product for less money elsewhere.

on 7/26/2017 12:49:00 PM

Yes. This stuff is insanely priced. $105 for 1 oz and $158 for a 1.7 oz. HOWEVER it is worth every single penny!!! This product changed my life and improved my self esteem. I have melasma which is hyper pigmentation (dark patches of skin) on my forehead, upper lip, and cheeks and I really struggled with the way it made me feel about myself. I couldn't even cover it with makeup! I also have some kind of hyperexfoliation on my nose where it peels constantly. Even my dermatologist doesn't have a clear answer for what it is and the topicals weren't doing anything so I figured I would call in the big guns. Chemical exfoliators. Lactic acid (Good Genes) glycolic acid (Drunk Elehant T.L.C night serum) and ferulic acid (Dr Dennis Gross products) to name a few. After sampling a few of these acids I found that the lactic acid completely resolved my flakey peeling nose and my melasma is much much lighter. I have been using this with the Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Oil that contains retinol and I believe this combination is the key to my skincare woes. You can buy a set of these two called Power Couple 0.5 oz each at Sephora.com for $85. The Luna Oil itself is $55 for 0.5 oz and $105 for 1 oz. So if you want to give them a try this set is the way to go. I used up the Good Genes before the oil so I might buy the duo again when I need more Luna Oil. I cannot say enough good things about what these products have done for me! Give it a try I promise you won't regret it!!!

on 7/18/2017 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I think it's a great product but I removed a lippie because it is soo expensive and the smell can be a bit off putting. I have to give a warning to new users who may be reading my review before buying it. when I first tried it I thought I was allergic to it because my face felt itchy and I saw some raised red bumps forming. I kept using it anyway but changed the amount. I realize it was due to two things: my skin went through the 'initial purge' and I started off with too much (one full pump). the bumps went away in two days, and I continued to use the product but only quarter to a half of a pump. I now enjoy the product and I see my face is smooth and glowing (not greasy). I think 30ml is adequate since I use only upto half pump. so the takeaway message is to start little otherwise your face will get very irritated from the acid!

Using this with the Luna Sleeping Night oil, it's been a few days but so far it has made my skin so soft and clear. Any breakout I had or could feel coming would be gone by the morning. My pores also seem to look smaller. Will give a proper update in a few weeks, but so far so good!

I fell for this product right away. It improved my skin tone and texture. It gave me a dewy glow. I had fewer breakouts while using it. But I went through this product so quickly, and I can't justify the price despite how well it works. I have found some very affordable alternatives that give me the same, if not better, results. If you have no concerns with the price, go ahead and enjoy this! But if you're sane enough not to spend an arm and a leg for one product, there are better alternatives out there!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I couldn't work why I couldn't get any product out of this do opened the bottle to find a TUBE inside that the pump was connected to.

Not going to buy again. What a rip off.

on 6/27/2017 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I was hesitant to try Sunday Riley due to the price but took the plunge due to the raves I heard. I have NC42 skin prone to hyperpigmentation, some aging issues with loss of brightness/dullness, and occasional outbreaks with combination skin (normal to oily t-zone, dry elsewhere). Before trying this I admit my skin was not bad. However I was blown away by how much better this product make my skin in 2 weeks. I have used for 2 months now about 3-4 times a week (using Luna oil or Tidal on other days) and my skin is balanced, my hyperpigmentation is gone, and my skin looks healthy and bright. I haven't had a break out in over a month and when early in use they threatened, they were magically wiped away in 1-2 days by this product. I honestly don't remember my skin ever looking this good, and given I am in my 40s I am impressed to say the least.

Do I wish it were cheaper? Sure, but it works wonderfully for me. It will be a skincare staple for me. I do wish the packaging were less wasteful so you can really get every drop out but I appreciate the pump sealed dispenser to keep the product active and not having to dip in.