Sunday Riley Good Genes

Sunday Riley Good Genes

3.7

NV-5 Ageless Complex (Opuntia Tuna Fruit (Prickly Pear) Extract, Cyripeedium Pubescens (Lady’s Slipper Orchid) Extract, Opuntia Tuna Fruit, Opuntia Vulgaris (Cactus) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract & Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Yeast) Extract), Lactic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Squalene, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Arnica Extract, PEG-75 Meadowsol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-20, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, DMDM Hydantoin.

on 8/9/2016 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

About me - sensitive skin prone to hormonal break outs, hyper-pigmentation, and black heads/enlarged pores around my t-zone. When I say sensitive, I mean it. The hyper-pigmentation is a big thing for me and it doesn't take much for my skin to turn 50 shades of red.

Details - as mentioned, the product comes in fairly nice packaging. In my experience, this is the nicest part about the product. It is a pump which means it is more hygienic and I feel it helps to lengthen the life span of the product. It is lactic acid which means it smells kind of like rancid milk mixed with lemon. A lot of other users said it smelled like lemon, well, I in no way have a sensitive nose and am telling you it doesn't smell like lemon only - it definitely has some other scent tones to it and they aren't very pleasant. Because of the scent I only used this product at night before bed.

Experience - now, I am going to start with the fact that initially, this product blew me away. The first time I used it, I applied it as a moisturizer and guffawed as my redness completely dissipated. Not to mention little blemishes and pores. I remember staring at myself and thinking 'so this is what model fresh skin looks/feels like!' I was in love. Really. I could get over the smell that reminded me of my 4th grade field trip (don't ask) and I could get over the slight sting to the formula, I could get over anything with my skin looking so good. THEN tragedy struck. I don't know what happened. I went through a bit of the bottle and I started seeing these huge cystic pimples start to take over my face. I mean massive - to an alarming extent. I wouldn't believe - couldn't believe that my beloved good genes was doing this to my skin. It had worked so beautifully before, no way could it be harming my skin! But the cystic pimples started getting worse and worse. Finally, after the bottle was almost empty, I took a break from Good Genes.

Well, that was it. Within a few days of stopping good genes my pimples started to clear up. Although the hyper-pigmentation was back the pimples had diffused and no longer did it look like I was sporting bug bites on my face. I am not going to lie, I was pretty devastated. My good friend was in love with the stuff and it worked great for her too, however, she too saw her pimples turning into cystic mountains and now only uses it around certain times of the month. She still swears by it - but as a mask that she doesn't use too frequently. So that's that, two people with different skin types both experiencing painful and irritating cystic pimples due to the use of this shtuff.

Price - it isn't the worst but it certainly doesn't make sense to me. With my experience I certainly won't purchase again. But as other users have said, there are cheaper versions of this stuff out there. Take a trip to your local Korean beauty store/website and you will find some pretty comparable dupes. Just saying.

Overall, not impressed with this product in the long-run.

on 8/4/2016 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this product because I love to exfoliate and have understood that lactic acid, unlike glycolic acid, is more gentle and has more sustainable results long-term. I also wanted to address dullness, hyper pigmentation, texture, and fine wrinkles that are rather easy to soften with good quality products. I was sorely disappointed. I used an entire bottle of this and after seeing almost no results I have come to the conclusion that something in the ingredients is making this product ineffective OR it is simply not strong enough for my resistant, light olive skin type. Apparently it has a low ph but I saw virtually no reduction in any of my concerns. This is also marketed as a 40% concentration which is laughable seeing at how a basic lactic acid peel from almost any vendor gives MUCH more drastic results. And you can get those for under 20$ from vendors like MUAC. The serum itself is also annoying because there is no way to comfortably wear it with other skincare products. It's very tacky & very lemony (and as research points out, irritating) I went through this quickly. The only pros are that you can use this as a 10-20 minute mask and the packaging is rather beautiful (although mine shattered because it's glass)

To Read all 89 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

It took one day to see a little bit of results from this. Didn't irritate my skin and my skin looked nice after. I use this 3 days on and then I take a break and rotate in another serum and moisturizer from another line. I definitely recommend.

on 7/18/2016 7:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have been trying this off and on for about 3 weeks. On my skin, which up to this point I did not think too sensitive, it burned. A hot prickly itchy burn......I have tried it with Luna as well, not as bad a reaction, but still ichy.....hmmmm. It is still early days, I will try it out 2x per week.....

If I was a total baller I would slather this stanky treatment on forever. Alas, I will try other lactic acid serums for those of us who aren't Greenwich in search of the glow.

on 7/3/2016 6:10:00 AM

I have been using the Sunday Riley good genes for about a week and my skin feels amazing. My makeup lays better on my face and I'm using half the foundation I used before. It makes my skin very smooth and all the texture I had on my skin is almost gone. It does tingle a bit when applied but it goes away. I have really gotten into skincare lately since I'm getting older. I'm 38 and i'm getting fine lines and uneven tone. This product has helped my skin immensely. It works for me.

on 6/27/2016 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is a good product - but it's certainly not life changing. There are so many other products out there that work the same if not better at a much less "WTF?!?" price-point. Out of all SR's products, it's this serum which is hands down the best of them performance and ingredient-wise IMO. [check out my very detailed Luna oil review]. Even so, this is far from the miracle worker its hyped up to be.

Good Genes is your basic Lactic Acid exfoliant. It works overnight to sloth off dead skin, evening out skin texture as much as it can allowing for other lotions and potions to work better and also helping to create a smooth canvas for makeup. I got no aggravation or irritation from using this as some have, but that's because I am used to hardcore peels which are much stronger than this. People have also complained about the scent; well, I don't have an issue with that simply because SR's oils smell so damn terrible that this serum is like walking through miles of jasmine in comparison.

So does this product work? Yeah. Is it worth $105.00 per oz? Hell to the no. You can totally get better results from other AHA products. Lauder, Peter Thomas Roth, DHC, even (dare I say it?) Paula's Choice has way better overnight exfoliation treatments at half the price of GG. I was completely underwhelmed by this serum treatment and will not be re-purchasing it.

on 6/23/2016 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an amazing product. I bought the power couple 3 weeks ago and that's how long the good genes lasted using two pumps at night. I hate that I love the product because I just can't justifiy spending 105.00 on a full size bottle. So now I'm on the hunt for something new with latic acid in it. When you get to the end of the bottle and pop it open it's bazaar, the product is enclosed with hard plastic attached to the dispenser and the bottle is spotless. I don't know if it's to keep the product fresh, or to make us think the 15 ml bottle is full of the serum?

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I received a decent sized sample tube of this stuff and was so excited to give it a try as Sunday Riley's products are all so pricey but I liked the Luna Sleeping Oil (not enough to buy a full size but I liked it okay enough). Like so many others, though, the smell alone is enough to keep me from using even the sample I have. If the price weren't off-putting, the smell of this would be. I also find my eyes sting and burn when I first apply this, even though I don't put it near my eyes - just the rising fumes make my eyes sting for a few minutes. I don't have sensitivities and the only other product that has ever done this is a now discontinued facial cleanser from Clarins. In an effort to figure out what was responsible for the smell and burning, I looked at the ingredient list and what I found, for the most part, was a list of pretty ordinary and mediocre ingredients that do not justify the price of this ($147 in Canada for a 1 oz. bottle) - agave, licorice, aloe extracts, yeast? There is some sort of lady's slipper orchid extract in this as well and maybe that is what they use to justify the price but I'm not buying it (literally or figuratively). There are lots of other products with similar ingredients that don't stink when you put them on your face. I've used this only 3 times so far (that's about as much as I can stand) but didn't see anything at all by way of results and, to be honest, I don't think I can bring myself to continue using my sample because of how it smells so if there are any long term benefits, I won't be able to achieve them. I'll use other AHA/BHA/lactic acid products instead - there are so many to choose from in far more affordable price brackets.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

HOLY MOLY!

Most nights a week, I use Pixi Glow Tonic as my acid/chemical exfoliation step after cleansing with a gentle cleanser followed by a light sweep of Thayer's Witch Hazel with added Rose Toner. This, however, is what I will use weekly as an extra intensive treatment.

To be fair, this product works on lactic acid, unlike the Glycolic acid in the Glow Tonic. Lactic acid is said to be the more easily tolerated by most of the AHAS compared to glycolic, and it does not travel as deep. What this does do is work more on a surface level to really fade discolorations, help with spots, and any other random marks to give the skin a fresher and smoother and plumper surface. Glycolic seems, at least for me and my skin, better at treating deeper concerns, reducing the life span of spots, and providing overall more glow to the skin and keeping problems from forming before they start. The only deeper one is Salacilyic which I am allergic too, the BHA exfoliant.

The concentration of the lactic acid in Good Genes is at 40 % compared to the 5% Glycolic acid in Pixi's Glow Tonic, so it is significantly more concentration but of an at least slightly milder exfoliant. My skin seems happy with the combo and it responds well to these products followed by my serum essence Hybrid of Bareminerals Skinlongevity

In fact, the only reason why i use this product so sparingly is due to its cost. Right now, I have the Power Duo which includes 1/2 ounce bottle of Good Genes and 1/2 bottle of Luna, which are half-sizes of each product both for $78, so an effective deal considering both separately full sized would be $100+ each, so I may just keep repurchasing the set, as I like Luna as a milder retinol for a once a week or every two weeks nighttime treatment

Overall my dryish reactive skin is loving what it sees and feels from this product and the cocktail of products I am using/alternating. This to me is my plumping and firming product it makes me look more awake and alive. I cannot complain.

Many comment on the smell which is mostly if not completely derived from lemongrass, which I neither hate nor love, but on me or to my nose it fades quickly. Also, I don't get a tingle from this much at all, but everyone reports differently on that especially, so be prepared, especially if you are not used to chemical exfoliants as I have been with Pixi Glow Tonic and some other harsher and just other ones in general that I have tried from other various brands that have not stood the test of time for me.

Would recommend a try and repurchase. That said, it is expensive, but the ingredients at least mostly and for combined formulations and effectiveness seem worth it. I don't think I'll ever try ceramic slip as I am happy with my REN Rosa Centifolia cleanser and want to try Glossier's Milky jelly, but i will go back to my REN if I don't get on well with the Glossier and those are much cheaper than Ceramic Slip, so I don't feel the need to explore, and as far as the oils. I don't like face oils except for a bit of Josie Maran's Argan Oil Light in Winter, as I did an entire 3 year long stint of Argan oil and Argan light twice daily on my face, and now find my skin is balanced enough to get away with just a light moisturizer after cleanse/tone/exfoliating and no longer needs a constant oil boost, so Good Genes is the only thing I could see needing to repurchase and maybe also Luna (which seems an oil but is more of a light retinoid-esque overnight treatment that just so happens to be housed in an oil. Sorry for long review, but these are my thoughts on my initial explorations on Sunday Riley, but overall brand so far is, and Good Genes especially is a winner.