Sunday Riley Good Genes

Sunday Riley Good Genes

3.6

NV-5 Ageless Complex (Opuntia Tuna Fruit (Prickly Pear) Extract, Cyripeedium Pubescens (Lady’s Slipper Orchid) Extract, Opuntia Tuna Fruit, Opuntia Vulgaris (Cactus) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract & Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Yeast) Extract), Lactic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Squalene, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Arnica Extract, PEG-75 Meadowsol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-20, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, DMDM Hydantoin.

I regret to inform you that this pricy treatment actually works. I put 1-2 pumps and I could actually see my fine lines immediately plumping. When I woke up the next day, my skin texture was refined - fewer bumpies, tigher pores. No irritation whatsoever. The price of this product makes me die a little inside, but I wait for the bi-annual sales at Sephora to save some $$.

on 2/12/2017 4:55:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Love this stuff but damn it's pricey!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Doesn't work anymore?
I was completely new to chemical exfoliants before purchasing this product. I bought this in the set that also has the Luna oil so I felt a little more justified when it came to spending $85 or however much it was. When I first used Good Genes, I used at night I thought my face was going to burn off. It scared me to death, it hurt and made my skin red! But let me tell you when I woke up the next morning my skin was probably the softest it's ever been in my life. And it was glowing and radiant. I thought WOW. I was willing to put up with the burning if I was seeing results like that. I didn't want to over due it so I decided I was only going to use this twice a week. So second application comes around and....nothing. No burning, no waking up to beautiful skin, all I did was put on a serum that smells like lemongrass that did next to nothing. So what gives? I tried shaking it really vigorously to see if that would help but I just can't get it to do its magic anymore. I've moved on now and am trying other exfoliants so this is just sitting collecting dust. Really dissapointed for spending so much money on two products that get rave reviews.

on 1/25/2017 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

I use this when my face feels dull. Not for everyday. I've used other lactic acids that make my nose red. This works well for my skin. But, I'm sure there's a dupe that's less expensive. I stick with it because my skin reacts as it should.

on 1/24/2017 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Love this stuff! It has made my skin smoother, softer, and has made me glow! I've been using it for around a month now and I only bought it after trying samples of a bunch of AHAs. This is by far the best.

I bought Good Genes based on some online reviews and admittedly because I fell for the marketing hype of the name "good genes". I have used glycolic & lactic acids before with good results. This product, however, is a nightmare! It caused me to have small irritated bumps over many parts of my face (looked like dermatitis) and an acne breakout. It took MONTHS to calm my skin & reduce the post inflammatory hyper pigmentation that resulted. If you look at the ingredients you will notice it has problematic, irritating ones included. I should have listened to the beautypedia review that also did not recommend this. I will never use Good Genes by Subday Riley again & it is a total waste of money. The packaging looks sleek and that's the only positive. Save your skin. There are other great AHAs such as Dan Kern's AHA and Elucent Lactic Acid products.

on 1/2/2017 5:39:00 AM

I have an intense love hate with this treatment. Love the results hate the price.. definitely has me by the balls(if I had a set)

I instantly see results with this. My complexion is clear and brighter. My skin feels smooth, soft and exfoliated. It's not for someone who has sensitive skin, imo, I definitely feel the tingling, prickliness almost burn when I apply this. I've been using this for almost 2 yrs off and on and I still haven't gotten used to the tingle.

Now the negative.. not many really. The pump dispenses too much lotion so I feel like it's wasteful. I only need half a pump for my face and neck. I don't need a thick layer to get results. I don't rub this in either I pat over my face and neck. The price.. ugh!?! It's $105 for just an ounce!?! I haven't found anything that gives me such results though so unfortunately it's worth the money. I only buy during Sephora's sales just so the purchase hurts less but, I buy it every sale

on 12/31/2016 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Is it weird to say I absolutely enjoy the process of using this, even if i absolutely loathe the scent? Good Gene smells like sour rotten milk and the scent kind of lingers on your face. What can we say, it after all contains lactic acid and is very effective at exfoliating my skin without ever drying it out or burning it, so i guess i am happy to endure the horrible smell. It does sting a little bit every time I apply it, but my skin adjusts and the sensation disappears within one or two minutes. I leave it on for 20-30 minutes, and the best thing is that my skin feels more plump and not dry at all right afterwards, even before i apply following steps of serum and moisturiser (as compared to my skin usually feeling tight and dry right after washing, if i don't moisturise quickly).

I've used some BHA products before when i decided to ditch physical scrubbing altogether, but that was horrible for my dry skin. Good Genes is the one that finally made me happy about the exfoliating habit switch. It made my stubborn blackheads disappear, which is primarily why i wanted to use chemical exfoliating. I also find that on the nights i've used this treatment, my following skincare just sinks in much faster, and my skin generally feels very good a couple of days afterwards.

Despite my happy experience with the Good Genes, I don't agree with the average consumers buying into the Sunday Riley hype without even knowing what they are doing exactly, especially after seeing some 20, 21 year olds buying Luna Oil. I also have a little trouble seeing people using this as a traditional serum, as in they use it everyday before normal moisturiser. I guess that's their prerogative, but this is an AHA chemical exfoliant treatment, and i think people need to understand their needs that before buying into the trend. The bottle isn't cheap, and I find that it disperses way too much product if i pump thoroughly once.

I have found my favourite way to use this product is as a treatment mask once a week. I clean my face, towel dry, and apply two pumps of this directly on the skin. I leave it on for 20-30 minutes, then i spray some thermal water by La Roche Posay, before following with my usual night routine. It is a lot of product used on one go, but i find it work better for my dry skin type than using a little every day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This stuff made my skin *feel* smooth, which was a huge pro, but didn't appear to do much else like help with redness. The lemongrass scent is really strong and takes a while to fade. This product doesn't tingle so much as it temporarily stings. It leaves a somewhat prickly feeling on the face after application, and I'm not really a fan of that. If you're looking to even out texture, this is a great product for that, but if you're looking for hydration and/or brightening, there are better products out there.

My long-time esthetician and MUA whispered to me in the middle of a facial "have you heard of Sunday Riley products?". While she was applying other products from our spa to my face, she was telling me about Sunday Riley. I went home and bought Good Genes, Luna Oil, Ceramic Cleanser and Tidal Moisturizer. I love the feel of products and my aging skin goods terrific after use. The best part? One month later I am back getting a facial and my esthetician/MUA says "Your skin looks great. Have you been doing anything different?". My answer? "Why yes I have. I am using Sunday Riley." An extended conversation when from there as we are both using Sunday Riley products and love the look, feel and results.

Good Genes on occasion gives me a slight tingle but it doesn't last. I use several times a week in combination with Luna Oil at night and under Tidal in the morning.