Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.4

Not tested on animals

on 10/18/2017 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is my HG shampoo/conditioner. I have very baby fine thin pin straight hair. My whole life I had to use a thick conditioner after shampooing or I just might as well have buzzed all my hair off because a brush would not go through it if not conditioned. I forgot conditioner a few times or just ran low and it would take me HOURS to get it brushed out and an unnerving amount of hair would come out too. My mom had some of this a few years ago and i decided to try it. First of all the recommended amount is way to much. My hair was down to my waist and they wanted you to use like 17 pumps or something crazy. For 40 bucks a bottle I wasn't going there. So I came up with a method. Two pumps in it hand , get on finger then apply to root of hair. Took about 4-5 pumps to cover my scalp. Then I used my finger nails and scrubbed the crap outta my scalp. Then I would work the rest of the product through to the ends and rinse. Perfectly clean every time. With regular shampoo and conditioner my hair would need to be washed every other day at best. Usually every day. I was losing a lot of hair with the old method and it took forever to grow out. Usually when my hair gets down past it shoulder blades it can start looking a bit ratty. My hair grew so much faster using WEN and only washing it every 3-4 days. It's amazing after you rinse this out of your hair and it's not snarly or hard to get a brush through. I used up my last bottle (had three spares) but my other bottles were still packed from a move and I ended up using my daughter shampoo / conditioner. That only reaffirmed why I love WEN. My hair was a wreck after three days of the old method. I braved the stack of boxes and dug my WEN out. A regular bottle of this stuff will last me like 8 months because I use the product sparingly and only have to wash my hair twice a week.

I had ordered from Renker. They were doing some kind of special for new customers bogo. Then every three months they would auto ship. My Bottle was lasting a lot longer than expected so I called to cancel. Gotta love sales people. From how she was talking I could tell she was going through the "don't let them canc unless you absolutely have to" checklist with me. I let her do her speil and every time she was finished with one I would just repeat that I wanted to cancel. She was NOT having it. Ok so this is the secret to getting them to comply. Tell them if your not able to cancel then to put you on with someone that is. That usually lets the helium out of their balloon ;-). They cancelled me after that and I have had no problems.

Note: I was a faithful herbal essences user until I was 32. I have to admit that I really miss taking my hair down from having it up all day and that lovely scent of that shampoo filling my nostrils. People forever telling me my hair smelled good. I'd rather much have long beautiful hair that is healthy versus compliments. That's the only thing lacking with WEN. That all day smell that just lingers fruity deliciousness.

on 1/3/2017 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So much of my hair fell out due to this product. I have stopped using it and my hair continues to fall out at an alarming rate. I searched the internet and this seems to be common. There is a lawsuit against Wen at this time. Wish I would have known.

WEN is the best thing that has happened to my hair! Wen saved my hair. I have bleached/dyed my hair so many times I lost track. My hair was very thin and brittle and breaking and I needed something to save my hair from falling out. I tried wen and immediately saw a difference in shine, durability and strength in just one wash. Wen really did save my damaged hair and I will continue to use this product. My hair is now thicker, fuller, bouncier, and much much stronger :)

on 9/29/2014 12:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Wen is great! I've bleached and bleached and colored and mistreated my hair since I was 13 years old. Wen tames my hair enough for me to be able to style it. My hair is (was, before the bleach made all my hair fall off) very coarse and very thick. This stuff makes it SO easy to untangle. I also use this with Nexxus Emergencee and I get amazing results.

on 8/26/2014 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ugh! Okay, folks, don't rate WEN low because the distributor of the product keeps sending you WEN! Here's the deal: there are three ways to get WEN: 1) Chaz Dean's personal salon website (or walk into his salon in Beverly Hills). This is safe. Anything you buy is a one time shipment. 2) QVC. This is safe. Anything you buy is a one time shipment (unless clearly specified as a three month shipment, etc.). 3) Sephora. This is safe. 4) Gunther-Renky (sp?). They are NOT safe. They are the people doing the infomercials you see on tv. Unbeknownst to most people, you are joining a "club" with authomatic monthly shipments that are very expensive. It is very hard to get them to discontinue your membership. Be very careful.

Anyway, I use WEN and do like it. I only buy from QVC. It is very expensive. The key is finding the right formula for your hair, using enough product to properly cleanse your hair, and making sure you rinse it all out.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I definitely urge people to do their research before falling for the hype! I have been using this for 3 weeks now, and I am pretty sure it's a waste of money :( My hair feels nice and fluffy and clean on day 1, but the flyaways are horrendous. It looks like all my hairs are breaking off... Not sure if that's the case? I have mid-back length, fine hair and a lot of it, and after a day it looks oily and in need of a wash again, with a waxy feel. Brushing is difficult after the 1st day and I don't think this conditions my mid lengths and ends as well as it claims. There is no shine to my hair using this vs normal conditioner, and I noticed this morning that my scalp is a bit flaky. Overall, considering the price and how much of the product you are meant to use each time, there is no way this would last me a month, and I won't be repurchasing. Smells good though :)

on 6/2/2014 7:42:00 PM

Firstly, this product had a gorgeous fragrance, the almond and mint work especially well together. With this being said, mint is a lovely ingredient to have in cosmetic products as it has a certain freshness. Personally my scalp felt amazing after using this. I can imagine however that those with sensitive skin may not react as well as I did.

In terms of effectiveness, yes, my hair did feel much softer after correct application of this product. HOWEVER, A LOT of hair came out in the process! So much in fact that it did shock me a little bit. I imagine that a lot of the hair was dead and ready to come out to begin with, however the amount that came out this time is comparable to three regular showers worth of hair loss for me. For this reason, my rating for this product is reduced significantly. I may consider repurchasing this product for use once every 1-2 months, when I'm in the mood for some shedding... however no more than that!

on 9/20/2013 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

I can understand the negative reviews from people who have fine, limp, thin, straight hair. This system would be overkill for such delicate locks. But I have a mop of heavy, thick, extremely long hair that I continually process with color and perms. It typically takes me 5 or 6 different heavy moisturizing treatments and silicone based oils to keep my hair smooth, shiny, and bouncy. If I don't go through an entire ritual of layers upon layers of products, my hair is a dry, frizzy, huge mess. My hair absorbs products like a sponge so I can use a ton of stuff daily and have no problems.

Upon first use of this product I could see a HUGE huge difference! Even in the shower, my hair just kind of fell into a big pile of silky smooth strands instead of feeling like a frizzy batch of straw with regular shampoo. I did mix this with one pump of the Six Thirteen I think it's called. Even with my extremely long, thick hair, I only used maybe 8 pumps of the Sweet Almond Mint Cleaning Conditioner, and 1 pump of the Six Thirteen. I left it for maybe 2 minutes, rinsed, then did just a couple more pumps of the Almond Mint and half pump of the Six Thirteen. I finished with half pump of Six Thirteen as a leave-in.

I used about a nickel sized amount of the anti-frizz styling cream.

Today my hair is extremely smooth, silky, and shiny. It does not feel at all heavy, though I could see with constant use of the Wen system, a person may get buildup. Buildup is GOOD for my hair and I try to achieve it, so I don't care. If I feel like my hair is getting greasy or oily, I will just use a normal shampoo for a day. And if oily greasy buildup becomes a problem, I don't mind just using this stuff as a conditioner and shampooing normally every day.

Yes it's expensive, but so is the other shopping cart full of products that I have bought and tried over the years. I have purchased and used up everything from the cheapest drug store stuff, to the $50 a bottle high end salon brands. At the end of the day, the result is always the same - need to use tons of product, layered on top of each other, to achieve smooth, silky, shiny hair. I am impressed that I've used a total of only 3 products to get the same result. So for me, much less product and less varieties of product for the same or better result.

on 9/18/2013 4:32:00 PM

Ok, this will be a unique review, I apologize in advance for the length of it, but I feel it's important info to know. I fell for advertising and purchased through the Gunthy Renker website.

I LOVE it. I have fine, coarse, super frizzy hair that is extremely hard to manage. After many tries, I finally figured out the number of pumps that work for me. It comes out easy and I don't mind the fact that it does not lather. My hair feels smooth and clean when I get out of the shower.

Fast forward to my running out. I purchased at Sephora the small bottle, since online and stores were sold out of the regular size. I used that up quickly and it was time for another refill. Sephora was again sold out, so I tried eBay and found it there. I placed the order and when it came, I noticed the label was different, but didn't think anything of it. I used in the shower, and the consistency was different and when I got out of the shower, I thought I had purchased a knock off because my hair was brittle and felt like straw, so contacted the seller asap. She informed me it was authentic and purchased from QVC. I went to the QVC website and compared the one she sent me with the one on the QVC website and she was right, they matched. I ALSO compared it to wenhaircare.com and saw it WAS DIFFERENT. I live in Los Angeles, near the Chaz Dean Studio, so I thought I would contact them and see what was up. Here is their response:

***"Thank you for contacting us. You may have purchased a Cleansing Conditioner from QVC or the Chaz Dean Studio and another from Guthy Renker. Guthy Renker carries a slightly different version of WEN than our website www.chazdean.com or QVC. They are both WEN products and are both created by Chaz Dean. Because of regulations on products sold internationally, the ingredient's through Guthy Renker have had to be changed slightly. Chaz worked very hard to make sure that the quality and philosophy behind WEN is still upheld, and that product performance would be identical.
As far as Knock off WEN products out there, unfortunately that does occur. The only way to ensure that you receive official WEN products is to only purchase
them through our website www.chazdean.com, the Guthy Renker website www.wenhaircare.com, www.sephora.com or through QVC or www.qvc.com.***"

*I* recommend the one from wenhaircare.com or sephora.com - that is the one that works for me. But you might want to try both and see what works for you. With all of the mixed reviews, I am wondering if this is the case with a lot of people who have ordered it. Had I not ordered from 2 locations, I would have never known.

Now to the downside...this stuff ends up being expensive :( The bottles themselves aren't too bad, but because you have to use so much, you go through it quite quickly. I have used 3 bottles in 2 months...I really love it. I don't want to repurchase, but I get random compliments on how nice my hair looks....which has NEVER happened before in my life. Argh. I can just step out of the shower, comb and go and let air dry....no fuzz, my hair is unbelievably soft and smooth. I really didn't want to like it, but I am hooked.

Good luck and I hope one of them works for you :)

I've read some reviews about this product making hair fall out, has anyone experienced this? I need feedback on this..

The last thing I need is my hair falling out as I have curly fine hair. I used this product for the first time yesterday before I read the reviews about hair thinning with repeated use of this cleanser, but my hair felt really soft and bouncy so, not bad. I find a little goes a long way on my hair, everyone says to use a lot, I used a few pumps and it did fine, you have to rinse really good. I love the Replenishing Treatment Mist and the deep conditioner that it came with, I think I will alternate with my Organix shampoo and see how it goes.

Video Reviews & Tutorials