Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

4.5

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Worked as a dry shampoo but broke me out along my hairline. Gonna try arrowroot next and hopefully I'll have better results.

on 4/30/2016 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

To avoid powdery, matte look on scalp, brus this on roots at bedtime. You hair will absorb the cornstarch and you will wake up with fresh hair!!!

To Read all 72 Reviews, Login or Join

Oh boy! My hair is not that greasy but college is really keeping me busy, I just don't have time for doing anything to my hair so I decided I would try this DIY.
Well, my skin is acne prone (mild) and this DIY started giving me cysts around my hairline after a day of using it so I discontinued it and everything came back to normal. So in my experience, it does not work for acne prone skin and I would not recommend it.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

No chemicals! I did what one other reviewer suggested and made up a small pot of 1 part baking soda to 4 parts cornstarch. I used a blush brush to brush onto my hair. Worked a treat! This will be my go-to moving forward. No more nasty chemicals in the air or allergies from commercial dry shampoo!

on 11/20/2015 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Occasionally, I'll be super stressed out or my hormones will go wonky, and I'll get the dreaded Smelly Scalp Syndrome. The slightest bit of oil build up on the scalp and the whole head gets this sour, cheesy, pillowhead smell. And I can't even shampoo every day due to my hair type. Yuck. It sticks around for a few weeks usually, and all I can do is try to mitigate the annoyance.

Anyway, dry shampoo every night before bed is how I've dealt with it. I mix cornstarch in about a 4:1 ratio with baking soda, mix in a little bit of my favorite perfume, and keep it in a repurposed glass spice shaker bottle.

I flip my head over, gently massage small amounts in to roots only, and voila! Cuts the oil, cuts the smell, and best of all doesn't give that gross matt powder look that the sprays give. Because you're putting it in at night, your pillows are spared from being greased up, and tossing and turning at night really works it in to where it's not noticeable. Prevent next-day grease before it even starts :)

Give it a try, it has saved me so much embarrassment!

on 10/10/2015 2:06:00 PM

This is the beauty of makeup alley - word gets out about a DIRT cheap product that works so damned well on your face and hair. Have bleached blonde hair, and my bangs get a bit oily overnight. In the morning throw my head over and take say half a palm's worth of cornstarch and rub it into my roots. Then comb out. If you're blonde, the cornstarch will make your hair lighter.

Now, the thing is, after using the cornstarch your hair is going to look very MATTE. So what I do is apply a serum or you can use a shine spray or glosser. The cornstarch - I use Maizena which is like a freaking DOLLAR for 14 ounces - also plumps your hair and gives VOLUME. Using this stuff find it really cuts down on the need to do the regular shampoo/conditioner routine. By shampooing less you preserve your hair color big time.

This is THE perfect setting powder, and just rub this stuff between your fingers. It feels like silk. Who needs pricey Bare MInerals?

Lastly, I regularly dump a couple of teaspoons into my ash tray to control tobacco smell and to easily extinguish my cigarette.

on 10/4/2015 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

ive been using cornstarch as dry shampoo for probably about a year and a half now. i started using it with cocoa powder but eventually decided it was easier to blend without any add-ins, plus i didnt like how red the cocoa made my hair look.

i have applied before using a powder brush and at the moment im just using a salt shaker to shake it out into my hand and apply directly to my hair. I prefer this method just because i have an oily scalp and it doesn't take as long to build the product up - using a brush can take a while, even if it does mean you dont have to blend as much afterwards. i do use a regular hairbrush after every application to evenly distribute the CS and don't usually have an issue with conspicuous residue but it's definitely there if you look hard enough because I have brown hair.

ive heard cornstarch is comedogenic and i do find that i get scalp breakouts occasionally when i use it as dry shampoo, which usually aren't a big deal since they're easy to forget about and aren't visible to others. for this reason though i can only give it four stars.

on 8/14/2015 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I LOVE this stuff!!! It removes the oil and gives my hair bounce and volume it doesnít weigh it down or give me that sticky residue as with regular aerosol spray dry shampoo. I tried the cocoa powder mix but I did not like it I prefer it on its own. The cocoa powder left a lingering scent and on itís own it has no scent which I prefer. I have dark hair but I have no problem with it being very visible, the trick is to use a kabuki brush (elf $6) it helps blend in and buff the product into your roots. This stuff is also easy on my wallet I get a Argo 16oz can for $1.40. The kabuki brush makes it a lot less messy but I still donít take my chances, I get dressed after I apply the cornstarch. I transferred a spoonful onto a plastic container and dip and tap my brush there. I should also add this makes an AMAZING SETTING POWDER. It keeps my face matte better than anything!! If you struggle with oily skin give this a try you will not be disappointed! I have acne prone skin and it has never made me brake out. Cornstarch is a miracle product

on 4/23/2015 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I use cornstarch mixed with unsweetened cocoa powder & ground cinnamon as a dry shampoo (I have henned auburn hair). I kept it in a container with holes in it (purchased from Walmart's kitchen section originally for stored grated parmesan.) I sprinkle a bit in my hair and then brush it out over the sink (sto prevent a residue on my clothes).. It works beautifully and smells great unlike many of the spray dry shampoos which smell nasty. Super cheap too!

I have a short, A-line bob that requires a lot of flat ironing to look decent. I use this at night after a wash, and I wake up with fresh, not greasy hair. I'm trying to go longer without shampooing my hair, and cornstarch is my bestfriend!