La Roche-Posay Effaclar K

La Roche-Posay Effaclar K
Effaclar K

3.8

(Salicylic Acid 1.5%) Aqua, Isonoyl Isononanoate, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Salicylic Acid, Octyldodecanol, Zinc PCA, Sodium Hydroxide, Retinyl Linoleate, Ammonium Polyacryldimethyltauramide/Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Capryloyl Salicylic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Cetyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Fragrance

I like the product. Works well on pimples and other skin problems. Helps to clear skin out. Have to be a bit cautious as the product can cause irritation and dryness.
The tube is nice as it helps to extract the amount you need.

on 9/16/2016 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This review might be a little premature as I've only used the product for three days but I shall update this after a few weeks. I'm using the Effaclar K [+], not a separate entry for that so i'll assume it's not all that different or it's just a regional thing (I'm in the UK).

So, the product is a white aqua-gel like substance that glides onto the face well. It has that chemically smell that from what i can tell all La Roche products possess- not super offensive but not exactly what one would call pleasant, it's not particularly off-putting and in honesty it doesn't bother me, i'd rather it smelt how it does rather than being overly perfumed like some products (cough, Clarins, cough). From what i've seen so far, my oiliness hasn't really been reduced yet but I'm aware you're supposed to use the product for a few weeks before seeing optimal results so I'll continue to do so.

I have noticed that on inflamed spots this product works wonders, I've had a few cystic pimples crop up recently so I purchased this product not only because i want to get my chip-pan crater face under control but after reading some reviews had hopes it would deal with active acne; pay out. I've had a horrible scabby lump of a spot on my chin all day that has been annoying me, i applied a generous dab of the product around mid afternoon and washed my face a few hours later and applied it again all over; the spot is now flat around an hour later. This seems miraculous but i did the same with a different spot last night and lo and behold by morning it had also reduced dramatically in size.

I'm using an oil control face wash and a La Roche astringent toner (does not sound good for my skin and probably isn't if overused so i'm not using it everyday) and also have invested in a mattifying primer so i'm hoping that all of this will help in the short term whilst Effaclar K works it's magic (the heat seems to be the main culprit for my overly greasy mug, come winter I'll probably end up with dehydrated, not-so-oily-but-still-some skin again. I'd like to point out that at the minute I'm not moisturising because from what i gather the effaclar K does provide some moisture (may be completely wrong), and my skin still gets oily after i've applied it even on the night when i'm not applying make up over the top. This may be the beginning of dehydration and my skin becoming dehydrated hence the extra oil production but at the minute it's soft and smooth and feels good so until flaking occurs I'm going to leave of the moisturiser save for maybe a day a week where I use Drink Me Up or HydraQuench (though i'm concerned at how perfumed it is- again, cheers Clarins!), or maybe i should just use a light moisturiser every so often, who knows at the minute.

Say tuned for an update!

**UPDATE** 23/10/2016
TLDR at the bottom
Low and behold, I was wrong! So it's been a week since my original review. My main concern for the last week has been how flaky and dehydrated my skin has become, after a few days of using Effaclar K my skin began to show signs of dehydration, at which point I began using my regular Simple light moisturiser again (I know, stupid idea to have neglected it for the first part but i'll never learn). This proved to be not enough and my skin, especially over my enlarged pores on my cheeks, began to flake horribly. A few days later now after some intense moisturising (Origins Drink Me Up, thank you) and avoiding any mattifying or anti-oil products my skin it back to being soft and flake free. I'm now using effaclar k sparingly, usually on any active acne but once i'm 100% sure everything is cool I may start applying it to my nose and cheeks where my pores and blackheads live. I'm cutting out my oil control face wash at the minute and invested in some ever so old school Ponds Cold Cream to ensure nothing harsh is on my skin. Make up wise I use mineral powder anyway but I've also picked some Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum just for a bit of a boost. I've ordered some organic Jojoba oil in hopes of replacing my moisturiser with something a bit more substantial as my skin is now eating my usual moisturiser and still feeling a bit tight, hopefully it will be a bit more moisturising and the anti-inflammatory and oil control properties of Jojoba seem enticing but we shall wait and see.

TLDR- Not moisturising enough for my skin, face became dehydrated and flakey so now using topically on active acne with a moisturiser. May try again over pores and blackheads in the future. Congratulations! You avoided reading about my entire regimen

on 11/4/2015 3:17:00 PM

Hands down, one of the best otc acne treatments I've tried. Makes me wish I hadn't been fooling around with other products, and that I'd have gone straight to this. Anyway. I'm getting older (in my 40's), but surprise! I have acne cropping up like I've never had in my lifetime, period. Even as a teenager. Closed comedones, clogged pores, angry red pustules, blackheads, whiteheads, you name it. They've all showed up to the party at some point in the last two years, often in groups. And thanks to aging, my skin is also a lot thinner now, so this really limits what I can use so that my skin doesn't become sensitive, irritated, inflamed, chapped or raw. This product has gone a long way to clearing up my skin and cleaning it out, without being overly drying or harsh. I wear it during the day, and apply after toner to still-damp skin, then apply moisturizer, makeup, etc. While my old-lady acne isn't totally gone (thanks, hormones) it's way better than it used to be, my skin is mostly clear and it's done a fabulous job of unclogging and clearing out my pores. It's at the point where I don't need to use this every day anymore, but I still use it 2-3x per week (day or night- I vary it) for prevention and to keep my skin clear. Highly recommended, this was very effective for me.

I have been using this product for several years now and can say my spots and breakouts have diminished a great deal. I am in my mid 50s and I believe a lot of my breakouts are
Inked to product overload. I often get spots back in the same place and regular use of this product has reduced/eliminated them considerably. I still have to be careful but my sensitive skin does not react to this cream. I only ever use it at night time so cannot comment about wearing foundation after this has been applied. It is a staple in my beauty care.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love this product...it totally keeps my breakouts at bay...and improved the texture of my skin overnight after I squeeze pimples.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

After consulting with a LRP rep who happened to be at the drugstore when I was searching for something to treat my adult cystic acne I bought this on her recommendation. My first impression was "how on earth do I get the product out of this tube?!" I was twisting the cap and nothing! Squeezed the tube so much in the frustrating process of trying to get the product out that when it finally opened it oozed all over the place. Pure chaos! Then the smell... What is that smell? It's not fresh, it's bizarre! But all that aside this product works! I'm not so sure I'd buy it again as I've found the Effaclar Duo more to my liking but it does smooth the skin as advertised. Consistency is very light and a thin fluid that absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a film on your skin. I do love LRP Effaclar products.

on 5/2/2015 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Bad product

on 4/27/2015 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Looove this acne cream!! I use it every night on my problem areas which are my chin, lip area and forehead. This helps bring the clogged pore up to surface so I can pop them. My face has never been better!!! Bumpy skin? Clogged Pores? Gone. I've repurchased this product. I have the Canadian version so ingredients may differ from US/UK.

on 2/17/2015 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It has a light consistence and it's not too moisturising. During cold weather it quite dries the skin. I find it more appropriate during summer time. It also doesn't mattify too well. When I wake up in the morning my skin is pretty oily. I will not buy it again!

on 1/20/2015 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really love this product! I am a man who has a very oily skin and sometimes I have breakouts in my face and in my back. I started to use this product last year and I observed that my skin was less oily. This product helped me to control the sebum and the acne of my face.