John Frieda Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm-Hold Hair Spray

3.6

on 1/1/2017 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This hairspray works well for my hair. I like to wear my hair full, and after I've combed my hair in place, I use this hairspray, which keeps my style all day. It brushes out completely at the end of the day. I use the two ounce size because it's easier to hold.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This probably should've been the first product on this site I reviewed, seeing as I've been using this longer and with more consistency than any other beauty or styling product, but here we are, 30+ reviews later, finally getting around to it.
You would think that using this for over a decade means it's my all time fave and I have no qualms with it, but that's not entirely true. There are things about this hairspray that I absolutely love, and a gripe or two as well.
First of all, this does what it says it will. It holds. I can use this and have a certain amount of confidence that a couple hours later, I'll still have a hairstyle. It guards against frizz about as well as anything out there, probably better. I have naturally very curly, unmanageable hair that doesn't want to stay straight when I straighten it, and doesn't want to stay defined when I style it. This is perhaps my best buddy on the battle front as far as frizz and humidity and wind is concerned.
Second, the price is right. I've never felt right about spending $20+ on what is essentially alcohol condensed into a can. Deep conditioners, protein treatments and leave ins are another story because they rescue hair, but as far as styling goes, I like my products inexpensive and in large quantities.
Now onto the bad news- and it's not nearly enough to override the good qualities. This spray is heavy and sticks to my hair like glue. It doesn't weigh it down, per se, but it really does form a "barrier" and once this is in your hair, you will feel it until your next wash. If you have especially thin hair this could be a problem. On the other hand, if you have a special occasion or live in a humid climate, or you're in a line of work where your hair needs to stay put all day no matter what, you need this in your life. Or, if you're like me and dont want to have to touch up your hairstyle throughout the day or worry about it, give this a shot. It does NOT brush out well and, like all hairsprays it is indeed drying, but as far as hold goes it is a winner.

on 11/17/2015 10:04:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have used expensive hairsprays for years (Paul Mitchell Super Clean, Big Sexy Hair, Bed Head Hard Head, to name a few) and have been looking for an inexpensive alternative with disappointing results until I tried this. Very pleased with it so far. I have big hair, highlighted, naturally curly/wavy that I blow dry and this works as good as the expensive stuff, IMHO. A plus is that the nozzle it hasn't clogged so far, unlike the others. I can smell the alcohol in the air when I use it but haven't noticed any dryness or change in color.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This was by far the worst hair spray I have ever used. I bought it thinking it would be great. but it left my hair clumped and like straw. it leaves hair sticky and then after a minute or two its clumped and ratty. I used it with my hair curled and it just was like a heavy thick mist. The only time it worked half way decent was when my hair was straight and only because I could brush out the rats nest. Do not waste your money on this product.

on 5/2/2015 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

My go to hairspray. Wouldn't buy any other. I have relaxed hair and this is the only spray which doesn't make my hair dry n feel dried out across few hrs after sprayinG. Really does keep my hair from frizzing out in ☔ weather but the big bonus is it keeping my hair soft as well as no dry residue brushing out at the end of the day. Like any sprays be careful not to spray to much. Literally just a couple seconds spray is enough even on my hair. I have 5 must have products for my hair - glimmershine, extraordinary hair oil, organics moisture shampoo, extraordinary hair conditioner and this the frizz ease spray- wouldn't be without it! They're not the most expensive and I've tried all the 30-40 stuff (which sometimes have the nasties in like sodium benzoate, mineral oil, Parabans despite the cost) but they work and without the bad chemicals in the ingredients :-D

on 11/17/2014 6:31:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I used this hairspray for several months, and it works really well to hold hair in place. Downside: It dries your hair out like crazy. After spraying it, your hair feels very dry. which is to be expected with very firm holding hairsprays. However, it took about two weeks after I stopped using this product for my hair to return to normal. It felt extremely dry in the shower, clarifying didn't help. Even if I didn't use this product after showering, my hair still looked and felt horrible. I switched to a milder Pantene spray and my hair feels normal and healthy again.

I would use on very limited occasions if I needed my hair to stay in place all night, but definitely not a good daily product.

I keep a small can of this in my purse for touching up throughout the day. I REALLY like it! The smell isn't too overpowering. In fact, it's quite pleasant. And it holds my hair perfectly in place without being too stiff or sticky. Love!

on 10/4/2013 1:52:00 PM

This is a joke! It is an useles hair spray. I rarely use hair spray anyway and luckily I bought this in sample size! It didn't hold my hair at all!! Useles!!!

on 7/8/2013 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I heard this hair spray was good so I thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I got a travel size and didn't waste money on the full size one. This made my hair feel like straw. An hour after I sprayed it in, I seriously thought someone put hay in my hair. It did nothing to make my hair look smooth and it felt dirty and weighed my curls down. I'll probably be throwing it away.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Not a fan of this hairspray....at all. Every time I use it I end up wishing I hadn't. I usually only use hairspray when I curl my hair so perhaps this works better if you're just using it for volume or something else?? It does nothing but make my hair hard/crunchy feeling & my hair still ends up flat so definitely would not recommend this product.

Popular Styling Products