Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent Hair Color

Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent Hair Color

4.3

WATER, BEESWAX, SODIUM COCOYL ISETHIONATE, FRAGRANCE, TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE, SODIUM SULFITE, ASCORBIC ACID, RESORCINOL, ETIDRONIC ACID, HYDROLYZED KERATIN, 2-METHYLRESORCINOL, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, LIMONENE, M-AMINOPHENOL, COUMARIN, TOCOPHEROL, ETHANOLAMINE, LAURETH-3, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE SE, SODIUM SULFATE, LANOLIN ALCOHOLS, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE

I used this after slowly bringing my hair from a level 10 or above back down to a level 8 for the colder months. I also wanted a colour to blend with my natural root shade which is about a level 8 as well. Plus I didn’t want the damage associated with using a permanent dye. So I thought a Demi would be good because I do not have grays and I don’t mind it only lasting up to 24 shampoos. So I purchased this in 8A as I really like ashy tones it said light ash blonde on the box. But I think this come out a touch darker. They say with Wella colour to go 2 shades less because their shades run darker. 8A though is a perfect match for my roots. It’s actually a touch lighter but that makes it blend perfectly and it looks so natural.

I applied this with a squeeze bottle because I used Kenra 9vol Demi developer and that has a liquidy texture. This was very easy to apply and I left it on for about 15 minutes. I deep conditioned after and my hair feels and looks great! I love the colour it is a beautiful ashy blonde shade with so much shine my roots look darker but it looks like a natural blonde hair colour. I was using high lift and had to do so much upkeep when I had my hair super silvery white. Now I can just focus on the health of my hair, which is great since this dye made my hair feel great. Its also super shiny and I use Argan and Marula oil and my hair feels healthy.

I will repurchase this dye as it gives me the colour i want with minimal damage. My hair looks and feels great plus the shade 8A goes great with my fair skintone it truly looks natural and will be as close to my natural colour as possible. Very happy with this! Recommended.

on 4/15/2017 4:43:00 PM

I don't like Wella Demi Perm first time I used light brown it came out black and it didn't fade, second I used Sand blonde and ended up dark orange, tried medium ash blonde went dark grey. I tried the lightest ash blonde to try and tone and it didn't really do anything so I wasn't upset I'd rather that than go a crazy colour, but I know you are suppose to go with a lighter shade because Demi's are darker at first all the Wella ones I've tried go more than a shade or 2 darker, it doesn't seem to matter any neutral shades go black on my hair much like the permanent colour that works the same for me, and they don't fade down at all. I was really upset with the dark sand when I tried it and had reversed highlighted my hair and was left with bright orange (like a clown) with blonde highlights and than had to remove the orange from my hair it's very hairs to pick through and get only orange so I gave up and had to just bleach it all. the only good thing about them is they do soften the hair and make it look and feel healthy but to unpredictable for me.

on 6/28/2015 10:02:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about this stuff running dark! I picked a color barely one shade darker than my natural hair (Light Medium Brown) and the result was a very deep rich brown, which is what I was hoping for. On the Sally employee's advice I used a 6% developer; she told me to leave the mixture on for 45 minutes or so, but I noticed how dark the color was becoming after barely 30 minutes and rinsed.

I noticed an odd floral+eucalyptus smell, but I don't know what was the scent of the dye and what was the scent of the developer. There was no stinging or burning, although I never experienced either when I used to use box dye many years ago. The texture of my (very short) hair is definitely dryer and coarser; I'm not sure how much of a point there is in me worrying about it. I have washed my hair twice with no fading that I've noticed.

As for the color, it's a little cooler than I had hoped but obviously that's a result of the color I picked. It might grow on me or I might try for a warmer color of similar darkness next time. I also dyed my eyebrows and it took nicely.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Over the past 2 years, I've taken my dark brown ombre'd hair to blonde and back. I've watched my stylist tone my hair the last few times and I've thought to myself, I could probably do this on my own and save myself 80 bucks. So yesterday, I did just that. Bought everything at Sallys and got started. I have A LOT of hair, and still only used 1 box although I'd bought 3 just in case. I went with shade 6w Dark Sand as my ends were getting much lighter as the Demi had faded since my last salon visit. In the end, it came out a touch dark, but I know it will lighten up when I start shampooing. I also left it on the full 20 minutes because, well, I don't really know why. Lol. But it looks good and a heck of a lot cheaper than paying my girl every 6 weeks or so. It was super simple to do on my own, it applied evenly, I didn't find the smell strange, hair feels soft. Success!

on 3/13/2017 1:57:00 PM

Let me start by thanking all the people on the boards and mail who helped me. I have had my light beige blonde at least ten years.(see pics in profile) It's all the way down my back so you can imagine the damage I have. I wanted to get away from the light/lightest blonde since I'm getting a little older and wanted a change. Like Jen Anistons colour was my target goal. Everyone told me to have a pro do, and have it done in stages. Well, this is what I did. I bought the big bottle of red protein filler and 2 boxes of 7A and 1 box of 8 N. My hair was a deep (actually pretty) pink when I ut the filler on. You have to fill your hair if you are going darker like I did. I let that sit for at least an hour-I was scared- and even with all my hair I still only used a tube and a half. I also bought the ion oleo dupe to go in the colour. Well, my roots are darker but my hair came out beautiful. No grey or orange, a very light brown. This weekend I'm taking it a step further and going 2 shades darker and then will add caramel highlights. I don't think I could have ever achieved this with the ION demi. The few times I have dared to put an ash on my hair you can bet it came out grey. Horrible. I was nervous with the Wella but did my research and their Ash has a blue base. I had to add red and blue back to my hair ( I already had the yellow) in order to get a natural color. I am so thankful that I did. My husband and friends say I look ten years younger, but..right. *rolls eyes* Thank you so much Wella! I'll be back!!

on 12/6/2015 6:13:00 PM

Koleston Permanent Color manufacture date:

While this review was about Wella's Koleston permanent hair color I thought it important for the below site to be known so others could check the manufacture date.

I just found this site, http://checkcosmetic.net, that gives the manufacture dates of Koleston permanent hair dye. I've bought this on the internet & was curious how recently they were manufactured. The Koleston code is stamped on the end flap of the box. It isn't the bar code numbers.

One tube has just expired, being a month older than the desired less than 3 year window for being fresh, but the other 3 I've purchased thus far were manufactured fairly recently in the last 2 years.

This site has manufacture dates for other brands are on this site as well.

The Koleston code is stamped on the end flap of the box underneath the color number. It may take viewing in a strong light to see it. It isn't the number under the bar code on the side of the box.

on 7/25/2014 6:48:00 PM

I have about 50% gray and I choose demi-permanent color because it looks more natural. The grays end up a little lighter than the rest of the hair, and I like that a lot better than the all-one-tone color I got with permanent dye.

I like Color Charm much better than Ion because it leaves my hair smooth and glossy, and the color lasts longer. My stylist has used Aveda demi on me, and it fades ridiculously fast -- Wella is way better.

My hair is level 5, and as I mentioned, the Color Charm 5 doesn't bring the white hairs quite up to level 5. I suggest starting with the tone you want to achieve, and then go darker the next time if the color isn't deep enough. Or you could cover your hair with plastic wrap after applying the color, and warm your hair with a hair dryer while the plastic wrap is on.

Color Charm is still behind L'Oreal Dia Richesse for lasting color and great shine. But Richesse is not easy for me to get, and Color Charm is available at Sally's. It's more expensive than Ion, but I get my money's worth. I don't mind the fragrance at all. It's not drippy

I think you could save some money by using a cheaper developer, but I'm scare to try that!

on 11/22/2014 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It does look very dark at first but it fades. I dyed my hair too blonde & I looked terrible. I used dark ash blonde & it helped. I did look a little green the first day or so but by day 3 it looked perfect. It cut to brass that's for sure. Use as directed & deep condition.

on 9/23/2014 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for 7 medium ash blonde and Natural Ash blonde. As everyone has staed they run dark. I am not blonde anymore because of trying to neutralize some brassy highlights. I only left this stuff on for 5 minutes and it still came out very dark. Dissapointed. I should have went with a light ash but on the swatch it seemed too pale.
None too pleased.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have had one hellacious nightmare of a time following the removal of henna. WAIT! before you continue scrolling thinking that this review isn't applicable to you, READ ON (if you just want the Wella info, scroll towards the last couple paragraphs lol)

SO, after two bleach washes, one full on bleaching, and failing miserably with 2 Wella toners (t18 and t14) My hair basically remained the same shit shade of yellow/orange. The toners not working was my own fault because I hadn't, and couldn't, bleach my hair any lighter.

Okay, so I made the mistake of trying to do my own bayalage, darkening my roots only (which were the most vibrant shade of yellow) and though I wouldn't be outcasted by society by the result, I still didn't like it.
So, I color stripped with dawn dish soap and baking soda and was left with a more even shade of yorange (a hideous marriage between two hideous colors)

SO I went to Sally's and knew a demi would do the trick but opted for Ion since I'd used it before. Well. I don't know which is worse, it coming out too dark (as demi's tend to) or not coming out at all. WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED. literally, no color deposit. with a 10v.
I was in awe.

So. failing at every step of the way. I went back to Sally's and bought Wella demi's in 9NA and 8N (light ash blonde and neutral light blonde) 4.99 ea but were BOGO at the time, i bought the wella demi developer and left with nothing but hope to keep me going.
I mixed the product, added a couple drops of Ardell Red/Gold corrector (99c per packet at sallys) and applied.

legit, 25 mins later (directions say 20, I wanted to be sure) I rinsed, applied the Ion Color Sealer (4.49/ tube) and my hair was the loveliest shade of light golden brown with hints of strawberry blonde. NO LIE, nearest to my actual hair color (at least what I can remember from like 10 yrs ago). It's perfect. Shiny, and no damage.

The only cons are that you can't use a any 10v developer with their demi shades, you have to buy theirs. the smell of the dye is nothing as pleasant as Ions. the dye is very runny but if you have a tint brush youre okay.

ALL IN ALL:
great buy, sosososo glad I didn't give up and gave Wella a shot. Ion, you suck.