4.5

package quality

price range

Reviews

16 days ago

This is a professional only product and can only be used at home by professionals or in a salon by a professional! I'm a cosmetology student which is why I have access to this product. Now that we have that out of the way, I used this to touch up my roots. I'm a natural level 3/4 but I love the opaque look and shine that color gives me. This is a deposit only, no ammonia, non lift color which is perfect since I have bleached ends underneath all of this demi-permanent color. I used the shade 3NB and my hair came out so soft and the color was rich and vibrant. I usually comb out my hair after color is applied to help blend everything together and my hair was like butter once this was applied where as other color lines have made my hair a dry, knotty mess. This has to be shampooed after being rinsed out since the chemicals would be left on the hair with rinsing alone. The sulfate in this hair color is just an emulsifier and doesn't actually cleanse the scalp.

About reviewer (424 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesBrown

5 months ago

This is a toner which doesn't lift your natural hair color, meaning that it will not leave hair with reddish/yellow undertones when it washes out. Toners that lift (such as Goldwell Colorance) sets off a vicious cycle of toning to counteract the brassiness from the toner itself. I have used the EQ shades gloss in 10P and 10V (mixed 50/50) to counteract brassines in highlights and in 7N and 7NA (also mixed) as a root shadow. It leaves my highlights cool and bright, but not ashy, and makes my hair very shiny. If you are looking to add shine and no color, use the clear gloss. I am beginning to go grey and have used the 9NA mixed with 25% 9NB, which tones the grey so it looks like highlights and blends very well with my 7NA/8NA natural hair color at the roots. Advice for those looking to tint/blend grey: 1) always mix your target shade with a NB (if target is 9NA, mix with 9NB, if target is 7GB, mix with 7NB, etc.). The more grey, the more NB you want in the mix. I don't know the theory behind it, but it's the advice I got from a Redken hairdresser and I can testify that it works better with an NB in the mix. Coverage is better and the end result is closer to the target shade. 2) Grey tends to be resistant to color treatments. You can leave the EQ shades gloss on up to 60 minutes. I have to leave it on roots for the full 60 minutes, also heating it up with a hair dryer 2-3 times during the processing time. The ends of my hair usually only need 8-10 minutes with the 10P/10V, and no heat, as they are porous because of previous highlights.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Oily, Fair

EyesGray

6 months ago

I am a former long time user of the discontinued Clairol Radience Color Gloss. I was using a mix of medium golden blonde and light natural blonde to tint the sprinkling of gray in my dark brown hair into golden highlights. I found the medium golden beige blonde pulled very dark on its own. Very sadly I bought up stock and made my supply stretch as long as possible by using an ounce at a time on roots and combing through. When my supply was done I tried the Ion Demi from Sally Beauty but did not get the gloss effect so my hair looked dryer. Endless internet searches led me to try Shades EQ Gloss Demi. So glad I did. I went out on a limb since it was autumn and chose the shade Caramel without mixing with a lighter shade. The matching processor is a liquid instead of a cream like the Clairol so it seemed a little runnier to apply but it didn't really run with application. The color appeared dark auburn in the bowl which made me nervous I would soon be a redhead but I forged on. I brushed on to roots first then waited a few minutes before applying to the ends and piling up on my head then covering with a plastic bag. I used a 1:1 with one ounce each of color and processor for my fine straight bra length hair. I left it on about 30 minutes then showered it out. I also washed it since the last time I used the Ion it bled onto my pillow case which had never happened with any brand before. I air dry my hair so had to wait a while for final results. Well it was a pleasant surprise. Slight gray was covered and my hair was a rich shiny brown with many different tones and a totally natural look. Not too dark or red at all. My husband loves it. The shine looks incredibly healthy. I am very pleased with this product and hope they don't discontinue this too. I did have to get the 33 oz processor on Amazon so will have to buy more of the 2 oz Caramel to use it up. The smaller size processor wasn't available at the time. The 2 oz color was about $10 which is a few more dollars than the Clairol but still reasonable with 2 uses per bottle. After a few weeks with hair washing 2-3 times weekly there is a tiny amount of mostly unnoticeable roots so I estimate I will recolor every 4-6 weeks depending on what special occasions are coming up. I totally recommend this product for those who want deposit only color with incredible shine.

About reviewer (81 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

a year ago

I’m in cosmetology school and my instructor is always bad mouthing this line saying how can you charge 400$ for hair you’ve done with a 6$ bottle of hair dye? I think it’s funny but bite my tongue because this is all I use. people compliment my hair color and matching abilities non stop. No I just use shades eq and clear and bam- everything blends. Her extensions never match and people are surprised every time I say I have extensions... shades eq forever!

About reviewer (44 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesBrown

a year ago

A nice selection of shades - especially in the red/violet range which I like these days. My hairdresser uses this.

About reviewer (2453 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

2.0

a year ago

Not impressed at all. After reading many positive reviews I found a reputable hairdresser that work with Redken Shades EQ. I have high porosity highlighted hair and I wanted to tone them down to level 8 ash and blend in a couple of gray hairs that I have. Having a high porosity hair means that usually, any color works fast on my hair. Shades EQ came out green-purple uneven and terrible from the first go. The hairdresser had to put a Golden shade all over and let it fully process one more time. The result was very shiny and healthy looking, but greenish and uneven. My couple of greys aren't stubborn at all, but surprisingly shades EQ didn't change their color even slightly. I never got anything like that coloring with L'Oreal Majiblond.

About reviewer (667 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

3 years ago

Someone said Shades EQ could be found at Sally's, but I'm not sure I agree..? .Anyway, my former hairdresser used it to make me a REDHEAD years ago (when I wanted to be,) and just recently I needed to tone down under lightened brassy strands from a foil, and my new hairdresser used Shades EQ in 9v for a lovely neutral ash result. I think this is a great product and ordered some to use on my extensions (and myself) to achieve a believable nice balanced color with great results and hair condition. I realize it doesn't last "forever, " and I shampoo 4 times a week, but I am OK with using it more often. I'm thinking it may 'fill" over processed hair in time to make it last longer... Adding more info: I agree with myself, lol! with what I've written and also need to add how helpful this gentle demi with GREAT shades is to "tweak" your color (understanding color theory and the porosity of your hair) in order get exactly what you want. I think the entire line of Shades EQ is very very natural and is kind to hair that may have been damaged/over processed in achieving a good color. I really recommend it. Also, GOOD idea to use a porosity product (like Roux) before using ANY color. Good advice before using Shades EQ also, IMHO.

About reviewer (73 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

EyesHazel

4 years ago

Thanks to the MUA Hair board for their rave reviews of this. I've used it 3 times now and love the results. It's super-easy, gentle, way affordable, non-messy and just looks great. I have naturally medium golden blond hair that's about 30% grey; I want to soften this but not remove all the grey as this would look unnatural on my 60 year old self. After reading lots of reviews I decided to buy 09NB Irish Cream and 09T Chrome, mixed 50/50 with an equal part of the processing solution. (So my final mixture was 25% 09NB, 25% 09T, and 50% processing solution.) I left it on maybe half an hour and now my hair is so nice and glossy, totally soft and bouncy without any sticky residue or heavy conditioner even though I only used the smallest bit of shampoo to wash it out. My hair is fine and conditioners almost always weigh it down, making it look flat and thin, or attract dirt meaning I'll have to shampoo again soon, so I'm happy it rinsed out so cleanly. I may buy a level 08 next time as I'm not wanting to be super-blond, but this is amazingly natural and I doubt anyone can tell that I've just colored my hair. Thanks so much Hair Board, especially Mia and Dottie!!!! A big win.

About reviewer (106 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

EyesBlue

4 years ago

I've been using Shades EQ for about 25 years. Its so versatile and gentle. You have to know how to use it and you have to understand color theory. I have some on my head right now to tone my blondness.

About reviewer (19 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

3.0

4 years ago

Unfortunately every time I use my scalp get burned by shade EQ gloss. Also it's fade so quick. Also its not my gray well blend. Hwever shade eq is wonderful products if you want to toned.

About reviewer (99 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool