Vitamin C Hair Color Remover

Vitamin C Hair Color Remover

4.4

on 10/7/2018 4:41:00 PM

After reading for hours about vitamin C vs Color Oops, I decided to do a strand test with the vitamin C/ Head and Shoulders method and it worked! I crushed about 35 500 mg vitamin C tablets into a powder in the Cusinart. I used the powder to make a slurry with some travel size Head and Shoulders. I wrapped my head in plastic and covered it with a towel (for heat) and waited an hour. I then rinsed the heck out of my hair to encourage the color molecules off my hair and down the drain. It lifted years of permanent dark brown dye at least 1.5-2 shades. I’m so shocked! You don’t have to bleach your hair to lighten it! Also, my hair feels better than it has in many years. I was so worried about this damaging my hair, but intstead it lifted all the color and crud that’s been accumulating for years. My hair feels like it did when I was a child! I want to add before and after pics, but I can’t see a way how to 😊

Update: I just lowered from 5 to 4 lippies. Here’s why. I was so pleased with the first treatment and how great my hair felt that I did another to try and remove any remaining/ residual color. This time I left it in for close to 90 minutes and while my hair color is fantastic (I was planning to recolor, but I love how it looks), my ends are noticeably fried. Oil treatments and deep conditioning have done nothing, so I’m going in to get them trimmed off. It’s not really a big deal to me, but I don’t think I will ever do 2 treatments again. The fact that this method can lift so much color should probably have been an indication that it had the potential to be harsh. I don’t regret it because I love the color and I get my chin length hair trimmed once a month anyway. I have fine hair, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This has always worked for me. Most notably the time a "friend" pushed me to let him dye my blonde hair red, of course I really hated it and it didn't look right on me. Then I read about this online. I always use suave clarifying shampoo and leave it on for an hour. It's never failed me. With the red, it took me back to a golden warm blonde. I also once made my hair too ashy gray green and this technique took all that ickiness away easy peasy. I've suggested this multiple times to other people and it's always worked for them too.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This method isn't going to be quite as effective as bleaching your hair, but it does work and it's a heck of a lot better for you. I used this method when a demi-permanent hair color turned out a lot darker than I expected, and four months later it still hadn't faded. Tired of how severe it looked, I decided to give this technique a go.
Using a rolling pin, I crushed about fifty vitamin c pills in a plastic baggie and then mixed it with however many globs of cheap shampoo would satisfactorily cover my hair. I left it in my hair for about an hour and then washed it out. Previously, my hair was a very dark red-brown, bur it lightened to a medium auburn color, which was much more flattering on me. My hair was also in excellent condition, no dryness or brittleness. I'll definitely use this method again.

on 5/19/2018 9:16:00 AM

MY HAIR: My natural color is dark ash brown but for the last 2 years I was dying them black(what was I thinking?) .I desperately needed a change so I bleached some highlights which ended up dark orange and then I dyed my whole hair dark red. I repeated this color for a couple of months.

THE PROCESS: I read about the vitamin c as a color remover online so I decided to try it.I crashed 30 pills of 1500mg and mixed it with a cheap shampoo.Remember to wet your hair before you apply it!I left the mixture on my head for two hours and then rinsed very well(5 min rinsing also an important step!)with warm water. My hair was one shade lighter and the red had faded alway almost completely!I repeated the process the next day and my hair is now 2 shades lighter, I got rid of the biggest amount of the red and now I can apply normal light ash brown dye.

CONCLUSION: -It doesn’t work as a bleaching product but as a color remover.This means it won’t work on natural color hair and it won’t light the dyed hair more than 1-2 shades per application.
-It works even if you the last time you dyed your hair was 2 months ago, but the more recent the dye, the better it will strip the color in one application.
-You can repeat this process as many times as you like but give your hair a break in between.
-It doesn’t dry the hair like a bleaching product but you definitely will need a good conditioner after.
-Remember to rinse very well(5 min at least)with warm water.
-You will probably need to re-dye your hair after this process if you want a rich high end color, because this gives a more orangish result.

on 3/4/2018 1:16:00 PM

This worked perfectly. My hair, which grabs color, had grown way too dark after many color refreshes when doing my roots. I’ve used Color Oops in the past to strip color, but I didn’t want to strip it, I just wanted to lighten it. I didn’t wash it for about 6 days before hand, so it would have lots of natural oil to protect it. I used a vitamin C powder from a health food store (vitamin aisle, very inexpensive) about 2 tablespoons, a couple of blobs of Suave clarifying shampoo. I applied it to damp hair, wrapped it up in a shower cap and towel for 35 minutes and rinsed with hot water.My hair, which is very fine and delicate (like baby hair), didn’t feel particularly dry or over processed, but I did read that the v-c helps to open the cuticle, so I used an after color conditioner when I was done. My hair, which is naturally red/brownish (I color it that color too, because reds start to fade as we get older), looks great. Kept the red and the brown, just lifted it about a shade and a half. I was worried that I’d lose the red, but it looks fabulous. No damage, no smell, just nice red/light brownish hair! Woo hoo!

WOW is all I can say. My hair is dark brown and I had golden highlights. I was tired of the highlights so I decided to cover over them. I just wanted a nice medium/dark brown, but what I got was a blackish-brown. I hated it!! I didn't know what to do. I wanted to try a natural remedy before turning to a chemical color remover. I searched all over the Internet and found so many people who were happy with the vitamin c application. I thought, what the heck, I'll just give it a try. I ground up a whole bunch of pills - no clue how much- and mixed it with Head and Shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo to make a paste. I smothered it all over my hair and then put a shower cap over it. I then wrapped a towel around my head. I let it sit for about two hours and then rinsed it out. I followed with a conditioner. I can't believe it - my hair looks AMAZING! Truly a miracle. My hair lightened a few shades and now I have these beautiful warm, slightly reddish brown highlights that are gorgeous. Plus my hair feels really good, not dry at all. In fact it looks super shiny and bouncy. I think the acidity removed a lot of heavy buildup. It really does work!!! I am SO HAPPY!!!!

on 10/23/2017 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've tried this method multiple times to no avail.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Nope. Did not work on the manic panic in my daughter's hair.

on 10/20/2017 12:33:00 AM

Two days ago I tried this Vitamin C hair color remover, and OH my gosh I'm so so glad that I did. I've always messed around with my hair and never really known which color I like, until I change it and I immediately regret the results. I've been using the Nordic blonde boxed dye to do my hair for the past two years. It works a treat, and I don't THINK it's as bad as using bleach powder. But before the two years of Nordic I DID use a bleach powder and developer, at least 4 times over the course of probably only two months, and two of those times were in the same night... anyway, before then, my hair was naturally brunette that I'd been dying black for probably two years (yet it was still super healthy) So you can see why I went for the harshest of harsh straight up. I decided that I really like blonde hair on myself and I think most other people would totally agree. So of course the other night as I was watching Netflix and admiring a woman's features etc on the TV show I was binging, I decided it totally just HAD to be her hair and I totally just HAD to do the same to mine. As per usual I immediately was disappointed with what I'd done and just sadly left it for a week thinking "oh well, I guess this IS way more close to my natural color, and now that I've gone too dark, if I bleach it again it will just undo all of this progress of finally getting my hair back into shape". That's when I started scouring online looking for a natural way to lighten your hair without damage and I found the VItamin C color remover trick. I crushed up only 9 effervescent vitamin C tablets, and mixed it with some Head and Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo. I applied it to semi wet/towel dried hair and wrapped a plastic bag over my head and left it for just about 2 hours. After I rinsed it off, I shampooed with the Head and Shoulders once more, then used about 4 different conditioners and left them on for about 3 minutes each one. When I got out of the shower I noticed a HUGE difference already. My hair lightened probably 3 shades, to a much nicer brunette. But I am trying to get back to my blonde, so I was wondering if anyone knows from experience whether or not you can do this vitamin C treatment more than once in a week without it hurting your hair? I'm just so anxious to get back to the color that suits me most. PS before this I tried Bi-Carb Soda and lemon juice mixed with shampoo and it totally did nothing.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I've done this an obscene amount of times over the years. I used to be a hairdresser and this was where my hair dying addiction began unfortunately. Years ago we had to bleach colour out and then came colour removers by goldwell etc which you can get similar ones on the high street now like colour b4 etc. Anyway, I use dark colours mostly and in between this I use vivid reds, purples you know the score. So the trick to this is lots of vitamin c tablets and length of time. I use about 40 crushed tablets and any shampoo and put it on dry hair and use a tinting bowl and brush to apply it, making sure all my hair is fully covered. I've even used this to ombre my hair. Leave it on for one to two hours and cover it with a cap/cling film or whatever you have lying round. I've actually got a second lot on my hair as im typing this now. Gone from black to brown with it last week and this time I imagine it will be a lighter brown. I wash it out with a moisturising shampoo then put henna treatment wax conditioner on it for 30 mins and then a normal conditioner after that and then rinse. Hair is always in lovely condition but slightly drier for a couple of weeks. I've heared people say it hasnt worked for them which always surprises me because i've even gone blonde by doing this once a week for a few weeks. I cant think of anything other than using too little vitamin c and not saturating the hair as to why it wouldnt work. All hair is different.

Popular Hair Color Products