Vitamin C Hair Color Remover

Vitamin C Hair Color Remover
image 1image 2image 3

4.5

on 7/26/2016 4:59:00 PM

Do you believe in miracles?

I am currently working on removing YEARS of red dye (and some henna, too) from my BSL hair. I am probably a level 6.5 lightish red. My now-natural hair color is salt and pepper, with white strands, not grey, and my goal is to go to a silvery ash blonde and then stop coloring all together as that blends out. For some reason my reddish-brown hair turns black immediately before turning white. Odd. But this is only where my tale begins...

I am attempting to move cautiously forward and damage my hair as little as possible. I never heat style and I use Olaplex and coconut oil regularly, so my hair is pretty healthy despite regular dying. It is fine, so not very strong and it can't really handle heat styling routinely.

I started last weekend with a bleach bath over coconut oil using 20 vol, which left me with very ugly orangish hair. I am not a hair snob, and have had (and loved) all shades of red and orange in the past, but there is something particularly unattractive abut the orange that results from bleach. It kind of has highlighter yellow tones to it. Yuck. I was super tempted to just redye it red, but convinced myself to power through and I can always redye in a few weeks. Baby steps. My hair still seemed healthy; I used lots of Olaplex and deep conditioners during and after the process.

This morning I realized that I might benefit from a color remover. Yes, I should have done this before the first bleach bath but... I didn't. I rinsed for 20 minutes in the sink (1 round of 15 minutes and another of 5, both seemed like an eternity) and then jumped in the shower to deep condition. I could see that my hair was still highlighter orange with lots of yellow But it looked like some of the additional red pigments were gone, so probably worth it.

While in the shower I spotted the blue Overtone conditioner that I bought for my son who had blue hair for a while. He never used it as the conditioner was on backorder and by the time it came in he had moved on to red. (He cycled through blue, red, purple and now back to blue.) I was struck with a brilliant idea -- what tones orange? Blue! I grabbed the conditioner, believing that it would help me get through to my next bleach bath. You can probably see this coming, but HUGE mistake. My roots were solid blue. The rest was... Yeah, it looked kind of cool except my hair didn't blend at all. Blue roots and then... orange yellow toned down to a muddy grey in spots. I.could.not.wash.it out. Even with detergent.

At this point I had to do something. My job is uber conservative and there is NO WAY that I could go to work like this. NONE. So I put together another bleach bath, this time with 30 developer. I figured since the blue was so new and just from a conditioner, the bleach would lift it reasonably well.

Wrong! My roots, after 45 minutes of the bleach bath, were pale green turquoise over buttery yellow. A really pretty turquoise under the right circumstances.... but keep in mind that the rest of my hair is orange. Turquoise and orange and yellow ... not so good together. The overall combination was horrifying. This was more noticeable than the blue and even worse for my work situation. Thankfully my hair still seemed to be in good shape, thanks again to Olaplex.

I gathered together my red dye, figuring all was lost. But then, in the back of my mind... what about one last try with vitamin C?

I ground up about 20 1000 mg tablets and mixed them with some Suave childrens' shampoo. I layered it on thick, covered it with saran wrap and wrapped it up in a towel. After 15 minutes I took a peek and... the turquoise was GONE. Completely gone. I nearly cried with relief. Right now my nasty looking orange yellow highlighter hair is turquoise-free and soaking in oil.

TLDR vitamin c worked to remove blue conditioner from my bleached hair when bleach could not.

on 7/3/2016 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I ended up having to try this after a henna/indigo mix I used came out unnaturally dark even on my dark hair. It was supposed to have been mahogany but I think since I have previously used both straight henna, bleach and chemical haircolors, my hair picked up too much color. I crushed up about 11 500mg generic Vitamin C tablets with the back of a spoon and added them to a handful of Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo then left this on for literally only about 15 min. Within that time, you could literally see the black pulling up and red highlights re-appearing. It is now warm dark brown with red - mahogany- exactly like I wanted it and seems no worse for the wear. I have not noticed any dryness or split ends, nor has it re-darkened. Next time I will leave the color on for a shorter time or mix it with a bit of a lighter color but just in case I ever have another disaster it is good to know this trick. I have used "Color-Oops" for previous hair emergencies and have found that this works better and does less damage as well as smelling MUCH better.

To Read all 28 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/1/2016 4:00:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I naturally have very dark brown hair but have been bumping it up to a medium golden brown over the last year with some blonde highlights. Recently I got sick of the lighter shade and wanted to go black so I went to my colorist and asked for a natural jet black shade no hints of blue black. Instead I got stuck with extremely unnatural looking hair, looked like a wig and to top it off had a blue tint in some lighting. I contacted my colorist and asked her to fix it , remove the dye or add some type of brown tint to it to balance it out. She said color removal will severely damage and brown tinting is not possible. It will take a couple washes for the blue to die out and brown hints to come out and she purposely added the blue to cancel out any orange (I don't get it) still think she shouldn't have given me such a dark color to start with regardless of whether it will fade. So I went and got 1000 mg vitamin c pills, took 10 and crushed them and used them with my schwarzkofp shampoo (did not want to keep anything too cheap sitting in my hair) so I made a semi thick paste and lathered it into towel dry hair and put a bag over. Waited half and hour and washed it out. All the bluish tones are gone. You can see a natural reddish brown tint shining through the black. I'm sure if I kept it on for 2+ hours the black would've have been completely gone but I wanted to keep it and just make it more natural. My hair previous to this is pretty dry from lightening it but it feels just fine after using the vitamin c technique and is really shiny actually. I highly recommend this as a quick cheap and safe way of getting color out.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

In October, I had my hair darkened by my former stylist--a demi-perm. I was hoping to match my natural light/medium brown shade. My hair ended up jet black. Jet black. The stylist immediately re-washed (several times) with a clarifying shampoo. It did nothing. I left the salon in tears. It was near Halloween so luckily I could pretend the drastic look was purposeful. The stylist offered to do a process to lighten it, but I was worried that she didn't really know what she was doing and that another process would fry my hair. That night, I read (on this site and others) that vitamin C could lift demi-perm color. The next day, I crushed up about 20 vitamin C tablets (hard capsule-shaped ones) in a baggie and, mixed the powder with PM cleansing shampoo. I let it sit for about 30 minutes. It was odd but it worked wonders! It lifted the solid, jet black to a lighter color--black coffee. I tried the process again and it didn't really do anything. But I can't rave enough about the effectiveness of vitamin C and shampoo. Easy, relatively quick, and really worth the results. Also, my hair didn't break or feel drier afterward--it felt softer, it anything, and was very shiny.

I wish I had taken before pictures because WOW did this work wonders! I recently tried to go from red to silver even though I knew better (because I obviously wanted to melt my hair off). It didn't work. My hair was trashed. So what do I do? What I always do when my hair is about to melt: dye it jet black. Why not? Well, 3 days later I was regretting that decision.

I had tried vitamin c to lighten in the past and I remember it working fairly well. So I chose to try it again. I mixed 10 500mg pills (crushed) with some moisturizing shampoo. My hair was already breaking so I wasn't going to chance it with dandruff shampoo. I put the mix on, bagged it, and sat for 20 minutes.

I kid you not, my hair was colored with redken 1ab and it went to a warm level 5. It's crazy. I wanted to see if I could get a bit more out so I mixed 10 more crused pills with conditioner this time. Sat another 20 minutes. It didn't do quite as much (as I expected) but it evened things out. I'm so happy. When my hair is in better shape I'll color again.

A few people have complained that this dried out their hair. My hair was breaking and actually felt better after. I recommend using a moisturizing shampoo with this to avoid drying.

Overall, I'm very happy. Would recommend. Would do again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Got my hair colored yesterday, and while it was pretty, it just wasn't me. I'm a level 8 warm blonde with highlights and wanted to tone down the warmth. It was way too dark and drab. It would have washed out/faded eventually, but I didn't want to wait that long. Saw the Vitamin C method online and saw reviews on here, so I gave it a try. Took about 10 tabs and ground them into a powder, mixed with shampoo, lathered it up on my head and put a plastic cap over it. I was going to wait 45-60 minutes for it to process, but after 20 minutes I checked on it and bye bye dark and ashy, I was good to go. Used a good conditioner afterwards. I'll do this again if I get in a jam. Didn't rough up the hair as much as a shampoo cap (with bleach). But definitely check it every 5-10 minutes to monitor it's progress.

Through the years I've been almost every color of the rainbow as well as the "normal," basic colors. I decided the other day, for the first time ever, to dye my hair green. I am platinum so I knew I'd have to mix a dark blue with a yellow in order to even get close to green. I used Manic Panic After Midnight and Ion Brights in Canteloupe. My hair came out a turquoisey color on the ends and an ugly yellowy green on the roots. I now know why I never did green. Granted, it didn't come even close to what I wanted but knew if i did it a few more times I'd get it close enough if not completely emerald. I realized I am not interested in "crazy" colors right now so I wanted to go back to my platinum. After reading on the internet about the vitamin c treatment I decided to give it a try. I am AMAZED! I mixed about 8 crushed 1000 mg pills with some of my violet shampoo and Suave rosemary mint shampoo and applied it to my damp hair (my hair is a very short pixie) and put my shower cap on. It's only been on about 15 mins and I went to re-lather and ALL of the color is already gone. I still have a slight yellowy tinge so I am leaving it on for another 45 mins. I should also note my natural hair is about 97% silver and 3% dark brown and this treatment has even lifted that 3% on my roots. I am a fan. Not sure if it's drying out my hair but I will just do a nice conditioning treatment and it'll be good as new. It can't be any worse than the slight drying I get from bleaching. I'm very happy that I probably won't have to do additional bleaching.

on 12/27/2015 6:16:00 PM

I did this for the first time a few minutes ago after browsing on the internet looking for a natural solution to remove dark dye from my hair.

My hair: short (bob) bleached white + back to brown (all at home) = starting color was a medium/dark brown. Because my hair was pixie short and almost silver 6 months ago, it is damaged and sucks up any dark dye. If i use a 5-level shade (medium brown) it comes out as a dark brown AND it fades quickly. My natural color is dark ash blonde (level 7). When my hair is dark, my roots are silvery which is ugly. After 4 months of dying my hair brown, i decided to get closer to a level 6 (light brown) to avoid dying as much and let my hair grow. Bleaching or using a color remover is not an option since my hair is already fried.

The process: i bought 1000mg vitamin C in gelatin caps for 6$. I just removed the caps and pour the powder into a bowl. I used 20 of them (about two tablespoons of vitamin C) and a good amount of Neutrogena clarifying shampoo. I saturated my hair (but not my virgin roots) and put a plastic bag on it. I left it for 1h. Since i did not know how it was going to turn out, i decided to try it out and see.
The results: my hair is 1 shade lighter, so a medium brown with golden highlights. It is very natural and pretty even though i was hoping it would be 1 shade lighter. My roots (about 1 inch) are way less visible.

What's next? I will do it again soon but leave it for 2hrs or more.
My hair does not feel dry or more damaged than before which is GREAT.
It will take more than 1 time for sure but it's worth it since no chemicals are used!!!
5 stars indeed. I will update after my second process.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I had dyed my bleached, white blonde hair to a two toned silver with dark blue streaks. As my next hair appointment got closers I realized that I'm done with the crazy hair colours and I want to try something more natural. I contacted my stylist and she said it may be hard because my hair colour hadn't faded at all!
My first treatment I crushed 20 pills and mixed them in with kms moisturizing shampoo and head and shoulders. I applied kms moisturizing mask to my dried out ends. I applied my mixture to damp hair them wrapped it in saran wrap and left it ok an hour. When I rinsed it out I could see the colour washing out. I did a moisturizing mask after. When my hair was dried and styled it did feel a little dry but the blue was a lot lighter and the grey had faded to a very light tone. My second treatment I decided to skip the shampoo and just mix my vitamin c with conditioner. I had read that vitamin c works as an antioxidant which is why it lifts hair colour. I mixed 20 pills with kms moisturizing mask and Wella brilliance conditioner. Applied to damp hair and wrapped in saran. This time I left it on 2 1/2 hours and wore a hat to keep it warm. I washed with head and shoulders left it on about 5 minutes and then conditioned and styled as usual. My hair has no more silver colour its white blonde again, and the blue is almost completely faded out. My hair doesn't feel damaged or dry. I will probably do this one more time to get the remaining blue colour out.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

After having very unwisely dyed my blonde hair black, I tried a multiple of methods to remove the hair-color without bleach. After many attempts, my hair arrived at a dark brown shade, which still made my super pale complexion looked washed out. I decided to try this, but didn't have much hope for it as not even Color Oops had lightened my hair. I crushed about twenty tablets, mixed in several dollops of dandruff shampoo, and left it in in my hair for two hours. I didn't see much of a difference after washing it out, but when my hair dried, I saw it had lightened quite a bit, to a sort of light reddish brown with blonde streaks peaking through. My hair felt soft and not damaged in the slightest, so I am very pleased with this method and will do it again.