2.9

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 months ago

About My Skin: mature, combination/normal, sensitive, very fair This is a weird product. It’s not a good sunscreen, or a good moisturizer, or a good cosmetic product, but it has mixed attributes of all. It doesn’t adhere well to my skin. Even a light wipe/blot with a tissue removed the product easily. The formula has beneficial ingredients but does no good if it doesn’t stay on skin. Doesn’t absorb or fully dry down, leaves slightly sticky/tacky feeling on skin. It’s an odd color. It’s more gray than white. Like all mineral sunscreens, generous application leaves a white cast. The grayish tone makes it less obvious, but it’s still there. The radiant finish is nice and gives bare skin a pretty “healthy” look. It’s comparable to luminizer products. It’s not a good moisturizer (except possibly for oily skin types). I find it works best as a “quick trip out sunscreen.” Not good for long day wear because it comes off too easily. It’s also pretty layered OVER foundation or tinted moisturizer for the “radiant” finish. I don’t recommend wearing as a base layer under makeup because the application will remove the sunscreen. I’d suggest wearing a more reliable (adherent) sunscreen, followed by makeup and topped by this product as an “extra step.”

About reviewer (36 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

3 months ago

I was excited to try a Paula's Choice moisturizer as I have heard great things and this one caught my eye. Unfortunately, I was fairly disappointed but have tried different ways of working with this product to continue to use it rather than pitch it. This product feels a lot thicker than most I've used before (I would not consider it lightweight at all) and takes longer to absorb into the skin. The product itself comes out of the tube in an ecru hue which is a bit weird but I found it to dry relatively clear once it sinks in. My personal experience I found this works best either alone (although you will be SHINY -- instead of a pretty, subtle glow I looked more on the sweaty/wet side) or under certain types of foundations but only after sufficient time to sink in. Unfortunately I run late more than I'd like, so this product is not great for those days when you need to quickly get your products on. It also feels a bit tacky, especially on my neck. I think on the days I am able to let it properly dry and with foundation applied, the overall effect is pretty nice and I do feel fairly hydrated. I have not used this in the colder winter months so I am not sure if it would provide enough hydration for extremely cold and dry conditions. There is a small tingling sensation I get upon application but it does not last long nor irritate my skin further. I will most likely not be repurchasing, there are so many other SPF products out there that I think will work much better than this.

About reviewer (83 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesBlue

4 months ago

I received a travel sized version of this moisturiser along with my PC order & I've used this enough to give it my thoughts. The product is a mineral based sunscreen that has a tint to it so no white cast. It has a medium/thick consistency & has minimal scent. States that it’s suitable for all skin types. I am not a fan of this moisturiser. I have dry/combination skin and I find it heavy & uncomfortable on my skin. Very shiny finish. I like a dewy glow however I find the shine to this looks very unnatural & odd. Doesn’t really moisturise or hydrate my skin. Oily skins will not appreciate the extra shine but then dry skins will not find this hydrating enough. I think this moisturiser depends on your own personal preferences. I much prefer the Skin Balancing Ultra Sheer moisturiser. It’s a lightweight chemical sun lotion with a soft matte finish. Which is very different from the Defence one! I just don’t find anything special about this moisturiser to invest in it or change from Skin Balancing. Update: I originally thought this didn’t break me out but it actually does. After prolonged usage, I have developed red, under the skin pimples which I usually do not have. Definitely not a product I would recommend!

About reviewer (110 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

8 months ago

Paula's Choice ain't kidding calling this illuminating. It makes my skin extremely glowy without any greasiness whatsoever. I also love the sun protection it provides. Its all-mineral sunscreen means it's completely non-irritating on my sensitive skin--even around my eyes. And because it has a little hint of tint, it doesn't leave a white cast; it also blurs imperfections ever so slightly. My skin is not great, but I can slap this on and feel OK leaving my house without makeup--at least for running errands. It could stand to be a bit more moisturizing, but I often wear Cerave PM underneath, treating this as my sunscreen, not my moisturizer. This is $29 for 2 fl oz. To me, that's a little up there, but Paula's Choice is always running great sales and offers a subscribe and save option. I have some other sunscreens I need to get through, but I will almost certainly repurchase. Love the cheery red tube, though its matte texture means it can get a bit dirty a la Nars' packaging.

About reviewer (444 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

10 months ago

Bought the small tube to try it out and I absolutely love it. I'm not in the least bit interested in sun protection but I have figured out that zinc oxide and titanium oxide work really well to prevent sebaceous filaments dots around the nose. They are in foundations and tinted moisturisers etc but I was looking for an SPF for no makeup days. This has a truly gorgeous finish, slightly - ever so slightly shimmery and with some sort of tint to take the edge off the white/bluish cast that can occur with mineral SPFs. It feels a little dry on the skin but doesn't dry the skin out, amazingly it prevents the shine that most bases give me. I use it over my usual moisturiser as my skin can be quite dry but those with oily skin could even get away with wearing it alone. It has worked wonders for redness from past cystic spots on my chin. Unlike chemical sunscreens which have made my acne instantly worse, I find mineral spf very soothing. There is one big BUT: nano particles are safe for human use on the skin but there is some evidence that once the coating has washed off after use, the particles are a threat to marine life. The details of what ingredients are nano and not are even more confusing; labelled as non nano doesn't mean it is non nano as there is little regulation, apparently. This is clearly labelled as contining nano particles but this is a concern for the environment.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairGrey

1.0

a year ago

One of THE WORST sunscreens i have ever tried!!! a disgusting non elegant formula. this thing is so thick and makes skin look so oily. i feel like my skin is suffocating when i put this on! it is so bad that all i want to do is run and wash my face. sunscreen are avoided by many people due to them doing just this! if you hate sunscreen because of the heavy oily feeling it gives....LOOK AWAY! this is NOT your product. if you want a lightweight sunscreen that also gives a really nice glow (without any oily feeling) try the la mer spf 50 uv protecting fluid OR the colorescience sunforgettable total protection spf 50 face shield, those two are trully amazing.

About reviewer (34 reviews)

SkinCombination, Tan, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

a year ago

This is PC's newest, mineral based SPF moisturizer. The application is moderately moisturizing (not dry or overly thick) and leaves a slight white cast that goes away pretty quickly. It does leave a shine (more so than a "glow). If you're uncomfortable with a shiny face, it isn't for you. Personally, I prefer the Super Light Wrinkle Defense SPF moisturizer. It's tinted and very matte. Still, this moisturizer is better than the "Calm" or "Hydralight" mineral moisturizers from PC. It's more elegantly formulated, and doesn't leave the dreaded white cast.

About reviewer (52 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBlack

EyesBrown

a year ago

I'm a big fan of Paula's SPF moisturizers, especially the all mineral formulas, as it is very difficult to get a cosmetically elegant SPF that doesn't contain harmful, drying ingredient, take 1/2 an hour to sink in, or make me look even paler than my already fair NW18 skin. That being said, I use the Hydralight, the Calm (normal to dry) , and the Skin Recovery (same formula as the Calm) almost every day in winter, with at least one added moisturizer or serum underneath as they are not emollient enough for me on their own. I was excited to try the Defense SPF as it has a few nice added skincare ingredients that the other formulas do not have. Unfortunately, this has added ingredients that my super sensitive skin can not tolerate. Most likely the niacinamide, as my skin can only tolerate that ingredient in small amounts or the vitamin C, although I can tolerate the doses found in the Resist Serum. This stung on application and my face stayed red for the day, even with a heavier cream foundation over the top (Cover FX). If you have normal skin, this most likely is a brilliant formula. If sensitive, stay far away, the actives are too irritating.

About reviewer (60 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Curly, Fine

EyesBlue

a year ago

Having tried all of the DEFENSE products, and enjoying all of them, this demonstrates Paula's Choice really improving the aesthetics of their SPF products, but there is a catch. I have been a longtime user of their RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30. Insofar as zinc oxide based sunscreens go, that one is very hard to top. No line, be it Skinceuticals, EltaMD, or SkinMedica have been able to convert me completely from that product. When I need sunscreen that looks really good on my face, I always come back to it. The reason? The tint prevents the dreaded white cast of mineral sunscreen which usually leaves me looking like a corpse on Law & Order. It is one of the few tints that does not look like orange makeup on my fair skin. The one problem with this sunscreen? It can be drying, especially in the wintertime, because it's designed for oily skin while my skin is dry/combination. Enter this sunscreen. I knew it was different right out of the tube. Once applied, and I apply it liberally, it sets to a near clear finish. Virtually no white cast on my skin. And it dries down to being neither shiny nor matte...just a soft ...dare I say it...glow. My skin hasn't felt irritated, nor has it felt dry or greasy. Paula's Choice should be looking at reformulating the other non-tinted mineral sunscreens to mimic the finish of this one (especially the Hydralight, which I just never got on with) because it really is a step up. The catch? It feels heavy on the skin. In comparison to the other sunscreens I like, I really notice this one by the end of the day, and it certainly has the potential to wipe off the skin: it floats on the skin (which is good and bad). At $29 for 2oz it's in the mid-range cost wise, and worth a try.

About reviewer (69 reviews)

Age36-43