Deciem The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

3.8

Water, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Potassium Citrate, Arginine, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/leaf Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

on 5/31/2017 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wasn't 100% sure what rating to give this product, as I'm still on the fence about what, exactly, my expectations were. Disclaimer: skincare noob talking here, unless you count LRP Effaclar Duo as a serum, this would count as my first one. So apologies if my ignorance shines through in some places. I only bought this because I didn't want to jump into the 10% lactic acid serum straight away (also from the Ordinary) just in case I might react badly or find it too harsh. Wanted to be all smart and build things up slowly. I've been using this daily for a little over a month now.

I have hyperpigmentation from acne on my cheeks and chin (cyclical with periods). I have blackheads on my nose. I'm not poreless but I wouldn't say my pores are particularly large. I was looking for an AHA to get rid of my marks and at the time there was no glycolic acid serum on ASOS so I went with this. My skin type is normal to dry, and I'd say my skin texture is actually pretty good.

My expectations were for it to reduce the appearance of my marks slightly and perhaps even out my skin tone, maybe solve refine my skin texture. I didn't really know how capable 5% lactic acid would be at doing that though but again, it was just so my skin wouldn't get overwhelmed with a stronger product.

The colour of this serum is a pale orange/pink. It has a sweet medicinal smell, it's not overly runny or thick and sinks into the skin pretty well but it can be slightly sticky. I apply approximately 5 drops, concentrating on the lower half of my face.

So, the results?
- I did not notice any reduction in the appearance of my marks.
- I noticed a slight improvement in my skin texture.
- Skin seemed more even toned and less red.
- It seems to have reduced breakouts?

The 3rd and 4th points were particularly striking. Usually during my time of the month I experience redness around my nose and mouth, and may look a little 'flushed'. A couple of days before I was due I got too lazy to apply this and noticed how red my skin was! Just a few hours after applying the serum all the redness was gone and my skin had returned to its' original state! It was doing more than I thought.

I also noticed that I did not break out on my cheeks all throughout using this product, though I did get a couple of zits on my chin nearing the time I was due. This is odd for me as I am always getting a new occasional zit here and there. The only time I got a spot on my cheek was in the couple of days that I wasn't bothered to use this. Go figure!

My overall impression of this product, based solely on user experience is that it would be perfect for someone with flawless or near flawless skin who doesn't really have acne issues, but just wants a mild exfoliant to even out skintone and refine any texture. I don't think the percentage of lactic acid is enough as a 'treatment' for any hyperpigmentation/scarring issues.

With regards to preventing the breakouts, it could be this product, but I am a little skeptical that it may just be a fluke as this is not normally cited as something AHAs do. Again, I'm not that informed on this subject and the only way to really know is through further testing, which I will update on in the future.

A great first impression from the Ordinary - I have already upgraded to the 10% Lactic Acid Serum and have been using it for around 2 days now. I have not broken out from either product and am hoping the 10% formulation will reduce my marks.

Oh, and one last thing - I'd like to thank this product for finally allowing me to pull off the 'concealer with no foundation' look!

on 5/22/2017 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've been using this for just over a week with a couple of other products from the range. My skin was reflecting a few weeks of stress and became uncomfortably dry (even my trusted La Roche Posay products couldn't deal with it) and some bumpy congestion on my forehead had come back with a vengeance, so I thought I'd give this range a try.

This is my first experience of using clinical formulations. I was nervous of using a high-strength acid product so
I selected the Lactic Acid 5%, (they also do a 10% version) said to benefit uneven tone and textural irregularities, followed by their Hyaluronic Acid to improve hydration and then their Magnesium Phosphate 10%, a vitamin C cream, for dullness and even skin tone.

The first couple of nights my skin felt very dry after applying these products and I had to use another cream on top. No irritation, but a tiny bit of soreness the following morning. After that my skin has tolerated these products very well and I've seen some real results.

After a week, my skin is looking noticeably brighter and the bumpy congestion on my forehead is much reduced, which I assume is down to the Lactic Acid. The directions do state that the product can be diluted with other treatments until skin develops tolerance, so I think that layering the Hyaluronic Acid on top has helped with that. The HA has also made a difference to the comfort and hydration of my skin. Overall my skin is looking brighter, hydrated and rested, and feeling much more supple and comfortable.

This product smells vile when you first apply it but the odour disappears after a few seconds. The texture is quite light and thin, and easily smooths over the skin. There isn't the elegance of a pleasant scent or the luxurious texture of a cosmetic serum but then that's what we pay at least ten times more for in department stores. I've used sparkly pink serums and frankly I don't find those gimmicks appealing any more - I just want products that work. Overall the textures and quality of the three Ordinary products I've used have exceeded my expectations.

I am really pleased with the results I've had. I'm going to continue using these products and am looking forward to trying other products from the range. The Ordinary's ethos of integrity appeals to me, as does the fact that their products are vegetarian/vegan, not tested on animals, and not sold in China, which unlike most of the world requires that all products sold there are tested on animals.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I use this at night + the ordinary HA 2% + B5 and then rosehip seed oil. My skin before I started using their range was dehydrated, flaking and dull. Now it's supple, smooth, evened out of redness, has cleared any acne that I had and is so hydrated! I would definitely recommend this!

This was one of the first acids I've ever used. I've been using this every night for the past few months now, in the beginning I didn't notice a difference, to be fair I didn't know what to look for then. Now however, every night I use it, I wake up with the glowiest, plumpest skin.

I don't really care for the smell of it, smells a touch like burning rubber, but that smell goes away pretty quickly, so its not a big deal. I haven't noticed any skin irritation from using this, it's pretty gentle. I don't care much for the dropper style of the bottle, I would prefer a pump with a more consistent amount of product being dispensed, I feel with the dropper I sometimes get too much product, and that bothers me.

This is a great price though, I'll likely repurchase this, but I might also purchase the 10% Lactic Acid + HA next time to see if that has a better effect.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm not much of an acid user so for me, this actually worked really well. The texture of my skin got a lot smoother after using this every other day. I like that it's mild because I live in Australia where the sun is very strong. Some of the pitted scars I have already look so much better after a couple of weeks of use. My skin is less congested too. I like it a lot and will keep using it.

on 11/22/2017 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using this once a week, and now 2x/week at nighttime. I really like it, and have noticed an improvement with my fine lines and slowly, the texture in my forehead. I don't even notice my laugh lines the next day after using this. I would repurchase this but I might try the 10% Lactic Acid. The only thing I hate is the dropper packaging. Plus, the price is so good! I leave this on by itself for maybe 5-10 min, and then follow with my hydrating and moisturizing products.

on 9/12/2017 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I totally love this. Judging from other reviews it can be quite a gamble depending on your skin type and sensitivities. I have fair, early 40s sensitive skin and this has done me nothing but good. I really do like an overnight peel and you can really feel the difference the next day. There's a stronger version but this is enough for me. I use twice a week. Worth a try considering price.

on 4/15/2019 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have sensitive skin prone to hyperpigmentation and breakouts. I wanted something to use in-between my retin-A applications to exfoliate my skin. Since retin-A thins out the skin it needed to be gentle though.

I probably apply this in a way people would find strange... First some Matrixyl+HA from The Ordinary, then some marula oil all over, from the same company. Then 3-4 drops of this. I repeat this treatment every 3-4 days. Right after application, this stings mildly, but that's OK *IF* it lasts for maybe only 30 seconds. If it stings for longer, I know my skin is too thin and this will irritate it. As long as I follow my own rules for how to use this, I don't get any irrotation though - just super smooth (texture and feel-wise) skin! :)

This also helps with hyperpigmentation - My brown spots from acne disappear in half the time it usually takes. Overall, I really like it and it lasts me for a really long time

on 4/6/2019 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Extremely gentle but surprisingly effective. This is a great acid serum for beginners. no irritation but tangible results. It has a medium consistency that rubs in very easily. I use five drops on my face and another 5 on my neck and chest. I found it very effective on rough textured skin and helping fade hyperpigmentation.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was perfect for my sensitive skin with mild rosacea. I was just beginning to use tretinoin. After a month or so, I started using this in the morning whenever I had some flakey skin. I found it worked well for removing flakey skin even though it is only 5%. I use it at least once per week and probably going to increase soon. Will definitely repurchase.