CeraVe Healing Ointment

CeraVe Healing Ointment
Healing Ointment

4.5

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Ozokerite, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Water, L-Proline, Xanthan Gum

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love this product. I usually use it after I've done an at home peel or if I'm especially dry. I've used it as an eye cream, lip treatment, on scrapes or burns, you name it! I bought the large tube for hygienic reasons and it's excellent. I live in mn so it's cold and dry in the winters and this stuff really helps. What attracted me to this over aquaphor was the hypersonic acid and ceremides. It's so inexpensive! I was going to purchase the Dr. Jart ceremide cream and I'm thankful I didn't waste my money. I've seen reviews of people using it in the mornings and I'll need to try that out.

on 11/22/2017 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i had to review this since I mentioned it in a concealer review. My original reason for purchasing this was because I'd started Retin A (0.025%) and wanted something to combat any resulting dryness. I love that it's got hyaluronic acid and ceramides, and because of the added silicones, it's silkier than vaseline alone. I don't have an issue with silicone or vaseline breaking me out so after applying Retin A, I use this under my eyes, around my nostrils (because I can get a little careless with the Retin A, trying to target my marionette lines) and on my lips. I don't find it *the* best for lips (it seems to thin out when it gets warmed by body heat) but it still works and I don't get dry lips. It works nicely for cuticles and dry hands too when the weather gets so cold and dry. AND, for me, it works amazingly well under concealer (under my eyes). Someone had posted on the boards that they used vaseline under their eyes before concealer so I had to try it using this and I haven't stopped! I use a thin 'film' so just a tiny bit, but it helps spread my concealer and it makes it melt into my skin better. I set with RCMA powder and I'm good for the day! This is also great for the usual cuts, scrapes etc... I got the large tube which can be a little hard to squeeze but you only need a tiny bit to do the job. This will last me forever but I'd certainly buy again.

on 9/14/2017 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This is silicone mixed with vaseline and extra goodies like Ceramides & Hyaluronic Acid. I like this to use on cuts/scrapes.

I tried using it as a lip balm but my lips started shedding like mad. The whole lip got covered with dead skin. I don't know why. I kept using it for 2 weeks thinking it was something else, but it was this for sure.

I wouldn't use this on dry skin.. yuck. Its thick and greasy. Lotions are better for that. And as a Final Seal for skincare, if Im going to do that, I prefer plain vaseline. Feels less yucky. Its great for cuts though.

Not going to repurchase.

I should start this off by saying that I'm not a fan of petrolatum/vaseline products. They never sink into my skin and feel very greasy. But I absolutely adore this stuff and find myself reaching for this for everything! I use retin A in the autumn and winter months, this ointment nixes the dreaded flakes caused by the R.A. I use it on my hands and feet when even the thickest hand cream doesn't prevent cracking skin. I use it under my eyes when they get a little bit crepey due to dehydration. I use it on new tattoos. I use it on scrapes to heal and prevent scar tissue. I use it as lip balm and cuticle cream. I use it on the ends of my hair to prevent fly aways when I'm on the go. I use it in my nostrils when allergies cause me to get scabs.
However the thing that makes this truly HG for me is that it makes a perfect makeup primer! I was having issues making a certain foundation work on my skin. Transferring onto everything, sliding off, looking patchy, you name it. Primers, good moisturizer, powders, setting spray...nada was helping. I was about to toss it away when I remembered that Marilyn Monroe used to slather her face with Vaseline before applying her makeup. I thought to myself, if it worked for her, she might've been onto something. This ointment is 46% petrolatum so it would be less greasy than standard vaseline, plus I liked the glycerin, silicone, hyaluronic acid, ceremides and a few other skin loving goodies it has in it. It is amazing! I used a dab, half a pea sized amount, warmed it between my fingers and patted it on my problem areas, then massaged it in really well. Suddenly the offending fdn was working like a whole other product! What amazed me the most was how transfer proof it made the makeup. I wore it for 16 hours and it didn't break down, it wore like a second skin. No heavy mask feeling! I maybe had a bit of shine the last 2 hours of wear, but that was after a busy sweaty day in 90° humid Texas weather. To think of all the money I've spent on primers that did absolutely nothing but pill up the second I applied it, or didn't make my makeup last any longer, or give me an airbrushed poreless look...smdh...I spent $12 on a 5oz tube. This will last forever. I don't know how this "primer" will hold up in true summer, but I'm definitely going to put it to the test

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Great product! I like it so much better than Vaseline or Aquaphor. It makes the best night balm for lips and over your eye cream, also on scrapes or dry patches.

My friend who has super dry skin and is currently on Retin A, uses this as night cream and is loving it. My skin is combo and very break out prone so I wouldn't chance it but for her it's working out amazing.

I have the tiny tubes for travel and on the go and the big tube at home. Will repurchase for sure!

My skin is dry and sensitive from retin-a and this is my all time favorite moisturizer. I use a little merula oil, eye cream, and an anti aging moisturizer, then slather this on over as an occlusive barrier to keep moisture in at night. No breakouts! I also use over eye cream, around my nose, and lips on nights I use retin-a to keep those areas from drying out. HG product along with A&D ointment for lips!

on 9/6/2017 5:49:00 PM

I can't fully explain why this stuff is so much better than Aquaphor or Vaseline, but it really is the best of the bunch. I use this in all kinds of ways: as a lip balm, eye cream, cuticle balm, over a healing tattoo, to eradicate Retin A-induced dryness, to heal scrapes and razor burn, on all of my kids' boo-boos. It is more sheeny, less greasy than the other petroleum-based ointments in this category. Plus the tube packaging is mess-free and hygienic.

About $13 for a large 5 oz tube if you buy from Amazon.

on 9/6/2017 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought a tube of this almost two years ago and used it off and on for moisturizing wherever needed. Earlier this year I was watching a video by Dr. Dray on YT and she said to use a swipe of this on the upper eye area, below the brows, to protect from sunscreen, or retin-a , from sliding into the eyes. So I started using this ointment to protect my eyes from getting sunscreen in them , a real problem since I have oily skin and that helps SS or makeup slide down my face, over the course of the day and it works! That alone makes this stuff very valuable in my book. I also use this from time to time as an eye and fine line cream where needed on my face and it works wonderfully well for that. The fact that this has ceramides as well as panthenol and hyaluronic acid makes it a really great moisturizer and not just an occlusive sealant like Vaseline or other mineral oil based products. If used for just the eye area this ointment is an amazing bargain. Will always keep a tube of this in my stash and would give ten lippies if I could! Great product!

on 5/12/2017 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

For ages, the last thing I would do before I fall off to sleep at night, is slather Aquaphor on my lips. I'm a lipstick wearer who has always lived in dry climates. Even when my skin is oily, my lips get dry, cracked, and/or chapped within an hour of being product-free. My lips were like this as a child, too, so I can't blame lipstick or age; I just have lips that easily dry out. CeraVe Cleansers (especially SA), and some CeraVe moisturizers, are staples of mine, so I was excited to use CeraVe Healing Ointment. It seems like lip care ought to be brought into the 21st century at last. (Aquaphor has been around since 1925!). There was a time I wanted to glamour up my routine, so I used Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream. It took a couple of years for me to admit it smells horrible and really doesn't do anything Aquaphor doesn't do. So my lip care never got beyond early 20th century. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it has yet. Maybe 48.5% Petrolatum is just too low for my lips. While I love the texture of CeraVe Healing Ointment, and it's phenomenal on elbows, knees, itches, rough spots, etc., it's not impressive as a lip protectant. It seems to "thin" very quickly on my lips. When I rub them together, instead of spreading, like Aquaphor, CeraVe dissolves a little. Aquaphor lasts throughout the night so my lips are soft in the morning. The only way I've been able to keep the CHO on my lips all night is to reapply it several times.Perhaps there's an adjustment period to a different type of therapy. Or perhaps my lips absorb the ointment and would be soft in the morning, as opposed to being coated with Aquaphor. CHO claims to be "non-greasy" but I wonder what it's being compared to in order to inspire that description. Lard? If not all-out "greasy", it's definitely "oily", and it takes quite a while to absorb into skin. Don't get it in your hair unless you like your tresses limp and flat.

This will give you angel skin! As a moisturizer for night, it's not going to be cosmetically ideal. You really have to slather it on, but the morning results are worth it! I highly recommend it for anyone on Retin-A because it will eliminate the flakiness entirely. It's also great as a pm eye cream. And the price is perfect!