CeraVe Healing Ointment

CeraVe Healing Ointment
Healing Ointment

4.5

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Ozokerite, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Water, L-Proline, Xanthan Gum

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Great product! I like it so much better than Vaseline or Aquaphor. It makes the best night balm for lips and over your eye cream, also on scrapes or dry patches.

My friend who has super dry skin and is currently on Retin A, uses this as night cream and is loving it. My skin is combo and very break out prone so I wouldn't chance it but for her it's working out amazing.

I have the tiny tubes for travel and on the go and the big tube at home. Will repurchase for sure!

I should start this off by saying that I'm not a fan of petrolatum/vaseline products. They never sink into my skin and feel very greasy. But I absolutely adore this stuff and find myself reaching for this for everything! I use retin A in the autumn and winter months, this ointment nixes the dreaded flakes caused by the R.A. I use it on my hands and feet when even the thickest hand cream doesn't prevent cracking skin. I use it under my eyes when they get a little bit crepey due to dehydration. I use it on new tattoos. I use it on scrapes to heal and prevent scar tissue. I use it as lip balm and cuticle cream. I use it on the ends of my hair to prevent fly aways when I'm on the go. I use it in my nostrils when allergies cause me to get scabs.
However the thing that makes this truly HG for me is that it makes a perfect makeup primer! I was having issues making a certain foundation work on my skin. Transferring onto everything, sliding off, looking patchy, you name it. Primers, good moisturizer, powders, setting spray...nada was helping. I was about to toss it away when I remembered that Marilyn Monroe used to slather her face with Vaseline before applying her makeup. I thought to myself, if it worked for her, she might've been onto something. This ointment is 46% petrolatum so it would be less greasy than standard vaseline, plus I liked the glycerin, silicone, hyaluronic acid, ceremides and a few other skin loving goodies it has in it. It is amazing! I used a dab, half a pea sized amount, warmed it between my fingers and patted it on my problem areas, then massaged it in really well. Suddenly the offending fdn was working like a whole other product! What amazed me the most was how transfer proof it made the makeup. I wore it for 16 hours and it didn't break down, it wore like a second skin. No heavy mask feeling! I maybe had a bit of shine the last 2 hours of wear, but that was after a busy sweaty day in 90° humid Texas weather. To think of all the money I've spent on primers that did absolutely nothing but pill up the second I applied it, or didn't make my makeup last any longer, or give me an airbrushed poreless look...smdh...I spent $12 on a 5oz tube. This will last forever. I don't know how this "primer" will hold up in true summer, but I'm definitely going to put it to the test

on 9/6/2017 5:49:00 PM

I can't fully explain why this stuff is so much better than Aquaphor or Vaseline, but it really is the best of the bunch. I use this in all kinds of ways: as a lip balm, eye cream, cuticle balm, over a healing tattoo, to eradicate Retin A-induced dryness, to heal scrapes and razor burn, on all of my kids' boo-boos. It is more sheeny, less greasy than the other petroleum-based ointments in this category. Plus the tube packaging is mess-free and hygienic.

About $13 for a large 5 oz tube if you buy from Amazon.

on 9/6/2017 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought a tube of this almost two years ago and used it off and on for moisturizing wherever needed. Earlier this year I was watching a video by Dr. Dray on YT and she said to use a swipe of this on the upper eye area, below the brows, to protect from sunscreen, or retin-a , from sliding into the eyes. So I stared using this ointment to protect my eyes from getting sunscreen in them , a real problem since I have oily skin and that helps SS or makeup slide down my face, over the course of the day and it works! That alone makes this stuff very valuable in my book. I also use this from time to time as an eye and fine line cream where needed on my face and it works wonderfully well for that. The fact that this has ceramides as well as panthenol and hyaluronic acid makes it a really great moisturizer and not just an occlusive sealant like Vaseline or other mineral oil based products. If used for just the eye area this ointment is an amazing bargain. Will always keep a tube of this in my stash and would give ten lippies if I could! Great product!

on 9/14/2017 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This is silicone mixed with vaseline and extra goodies like Ceramides & Hyaluronic Acid. I like this to use on cuts.

I tried using it as a lip balm but my lips started shedding like mad. The whole lip got covered with dead skin. I dont know why. I kept using it for 2 weeks thinking it was something else, but it was this for sure.

I wouldn't use this on dry skin.. yuck. Its thick and greasy. Lotions are better for that. And as a Final Seal for skincare, if Im going to do that, I prefer plain vaseline. Feels less yucky. Its great for cuts though.

My skin is dry and sensitive from retin-a and this is my all time favorite moisturizer. I use a little merula oil, eye cream, and an anti aging moisturizer, then slather this on over as an occlusive barrier to keep moisture in at night. No breakouts! I also use over eye cream, around my nose, and lips on nights I use retin-a to keep those areas from drying out. HG product along with A&D ointment for lips!

on 5/12/2017 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

For ages, the last thing I would do before I fall off to sleep at night, is slather Aquaphor on my lips. I'm a lipstick wearer who has always lived in dry climates. Even when my skin is oily, my lips get dry, cracked, and/or chapped within an hour of being product-free. My lips were like this as a child, too, so I can't blame lipstick or age; I just have lips that easily dry out. CeraVe Cleansers (especially SA), and some CeraVe moisturizers, are staples of mine, so I was excited to use CeraVe Healing Ointment. It seems like lip care ought to be brought into the 21st century at last. (Aquaphor has been around since 1925!). There was a time I wanted to glamour up my routine, so I used Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream. It took a couple of years for me to admit it smells horrible and really doesn't do anything Aquaphor doesn't do. So my lip care never got beyond early 20th century. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it has yet. Maybe 48.5% Petrolatum is just too low for my lips. While I love the texture of CeraVe Healing Ointment, and it's phenomenal on elbows, knees, itches, rough spots, etc., it's not impressive as a lip protectant. It seems to "thin" very quickly on my lips. When I rub them together, instead of spreading, like Aquaphor, CeraVe dissolves a little. Aquaphor lasts throughout the night so my lips are soft in the morning. The only way I've been able to keep the CHO on my lips all night is to reapply it several times.Perhaps there's an adjustment period to a different type of therapy. Or perhaps my lips absorb the ointment and would be soft in the morning, as opposed to being coated with Aquaphor. CHO claims to be "non-greasy" but I wonder what it's being compared to in order to inspire that description. Lard? If not all-out "greasy", it's definitely "oily", and it takes quite a while to absorb into skin. Don't get it in your hair unless you like your tresses limp and flat.

This will give you angel skin! As a moisturizer for night, it's not going to be cosmetically ideal. You really have to slather it on, but the morning results are worth it! I highly recommend it for anyone on Retin-A because it will eliminate the flakiness entirely. It's also great as a pm eye cream. And the price is perfect!

I use Cerave's Healing Ointment as a moisturizer. I use it on my lips, feet, elbows, and around my eyes after I use a regular moisturizer at night. I use it I use it to treat period episodes of eczema. I used to use Aquaphor, but Cerave Healing Ointment has ceramides, it's texture is less greasy, and it dries down faster than Aquaphor. I bought the 12-oz tub and use a makeup spatula to transfer it to smaller clean containers; thereby, reducing the chance of contamination of the large tub. IMO, it's a terrific value.

on 4/26/2017 5:56:00 PM

This is similar to Vaseline, but with beneficial ingredients. I have been using this around my eye area at night for added moisture & on my lips. I have seen awesome improvement in my lips. They don't appear dry or cracked looking. They look smooth & hydrated. It's like my little lip wrinkles are gone. What a nice surprise😊