Curology - Acne Treatment

1 review

fka PocketDerm

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I heard about this service from several blogs and decided to give it a try. I am 40 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for many years. I have been on BCP, which helped, but have recently stopped. I started having breakouts on the tops of my cheeks and forehead (which I never had before). I have tried over the counter products, but nothing was working. I had tried RAM in the past, but never was consistent with it. I have also used Clindamycin with good results, but did not want the $150 derm apt and $60 meds. After finding a code for free first month, I sent pictures (from my iphone) in for a derm to check out. She wrote back quickly and suggested a treatment of .018 tretinoin, 1%clindamycin, and 8% azalaic acid. I was skeptical since I had used tretinoin with a much higher percentage in the past, but she assured me the formula would work differently. I received it in about 4 days and began using each night. The breakouts were worse. They were able to be covered by makeup, and not as severe as most, but it was a lot to me. I contacted her one month into it, and she suggested a special soap and adding B6. I did, and still broke out more after the second month. The beginning of the third she suggested using every other night and added Spironolactone from the pharmacy (she called it in). Month four I am breaking out less, but still have a few spots on my cheeks. I will continue to use and see what long term benefits I receive. I pay $20 a month, which is less that I would pay with a prescription from a pharmacy. I know many people experience clearer skin quicker, but I have not. I am very pleased with the service from my PocketDerm derm, Nancy Satur, and would suggest anyone to give it a try (unless you can get better prices from your pharmacy and derm).

UPDATE: After several months and no improvement I went to see an in person derm. She told me that the 25mg spiro was not enough and that normally 100mg is prescribed for oilier acne prone skin. She also prescribed Minicycline, which caused debliltating dizziness then switched me to Bactrim 2x per day which stopped all side effects. She prescribed Epi Duo at night and after using this combo for 1 week my skin is mostly clear and I have not broken out during my cycle! I know that the antibiotics are NOT a long term "cure", so I am happy that the EpiDuo is working also. Unfortunately Pocket Derm did not work for my hormonal acne as I had hoped. My in person dermatologist did say it was a great formula though. She just added that I needed more spiro and an antibiotic to gain some ground on breakouts. Oh, I have hear some say that one needs a blood test for spiro--I did not. Maybe its my age (40).