Curology - Acne Treatment

4.9

fka PocketDerm

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I heard about this service from several blogs and decided to give it a try. I am 40 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for many years. I have been on BCP, which helped, but have recently stopped. I started having breakouts on the tops of my cheeks and forehead (which I never had before). I have tried over the counter products, but nothing was working. I had tried RAM in the past, but never was consistent with it. I have also used Clindamycin with good results, but did not want the $150 derm apt and $60 meds. After finding a code for free first month, I sent pictures (from my iphone) in for a derm to check out. She wrote back quickly and suggested a treatment of .018 tretinoin, 1%clindamycin, and 8% azalaic acid. I was skeptical since I had used tretinoin with a much higher percentage in the past, but she assured me the formula would work differently. I received it in about 4 days and began using each night. The breakouts were worse. They were able to be covered by makeup, and not as severe as most, but it was a lot to me. I contacted her one month into it, and she suggested a special soap and adding B6. I did, and still broke out more after the second month. The beginning of the third she suggested using every other night and added Spironolactone from the pharmacy (she called it in). Month four I am breaking out less, but still have a few spots on my cheeks. I will continue to use and see what long term benefits I receive. I pay $20 a month, which is less that I would pay with a prescription from a pharmacy. I know many people experience clearer skin quicker, but I have not. I am very pleased with the service from my PocketDerm derm, Nancy Satur, and would suggest anyone to give it a try (unless you can get better prices from your pharmacy and derm).

UPDATE: After several months and no improvement I went to see an in person derm. She told me that the 25mg spiro was not enough and that normally 100mg is prescribed for oilier acne prone skin. She also prescribed Minicycline, which caused debliltating dizziness then switched me to Bactrim 2x per day which stopped all side effects. She prescribed Epi Duo at night and after using this combo for 1 week my skin is mostly clear and I have not broken out during my cycle! I know that the antibiotics are NOT a long term "cure", so I am happy that the EpiDuo is working also. Unfortunately Pocket Derm did not work for my hormonal acne as I had hoped. My in person dermatologist did say it was a great formula though. She just added that I needed more spiro and an antibiotic to gain some ground on breakouts. Oh, I have hear some say that one needs a blood test for spiro--I did not. Maybe its my age (40).

on 9/10/2015 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

25 year old female. I've been to hell and back trying to find an acne treatment that works for me. Mostly all creams break me out, mostly all pills broke me out. Nothing seemed to work. A month on this, and wow. This is the first time since I was younger that I was able to walk outside, to a store, with absolutely no foundation. It has reduced my acne to non existent, and it has taken away my dark hyperpigmentation. Around week 2 I had a small purge, and within days they quickly disappeared. I pair this with purpose moisturizer, both of these creams haven't broken me out once. It's absolutely incredible.
Would suggest to anyone to at least try it. For all those people who have tried pills, and cleansers and all that crap... This really nailed it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

JUST DO IT! It is so, so, so perfect. I signed up, uploaded some terrifying pictures of my acne-ridden, makeup free skin and heard back from my "Professional" within 24 hours. I have Monica, who is a PA. She is really great and always responds back within 24 hours if I have a question. There is a chat feature on the website and you can email your professional anytime about anything at all. I've even messaged her for sunscreen recommendations.

I've been using Curology for about 3 months. My formulation contains azelaic acid, clindamycin and niacinamide. I have extremely stubborn acne that has never responded to anything except for accutane, which I could only tolerate for 2 months due to the side effects. This treatment has cleared me up about 75%. The acne I get now is not sore anymore and don't leave red spots. My face was completely riddled with PIH but it's now lightened up so much that I don't have to smear concealer all over my face every day just to feel normal.

I can't say enough about this! It's very fairly priced and SO convenient. No more doctor's appointments!

on 5/3/2016 8:45:00 PM

Great Product! As with many people who use tretinoin products (brand name retin -a) I too experienced an initial breakout. But...stuck with it & I am sooo glad I did. I am 31 & my skin had not looked this clear, even, just good since 17. I had tried everything! Derms & over the counter. I dont like BCP & spiro pumpkin my body with hormones so, this was the best option. I love that you have a derm, arpn u can write anytime u need with concerns & questions. I am in school to be an esthetician so I pick her brain all the time & she is great. I felt my tretinoin % at .009% (which retin-a fits not offer & u must start at .25% usually & that is why many experience such dryness, redness, & irritation, it is too much) but, my skin could handle more, so we increased it after 2 months. Then in another 2 months we went up again to .04%. Im about 3 weeks in @ that strength (4mos & 3wks total) & other than 1 or 2 small pimples right before or during my period, I'm clear. The PIH is fading from old breakouts & my skin feels so soft. And @ 31 I was starting to worry about wrinkles & tretinoin Hermosa with that too. By in increasing the rate ur skin cells turnover & exfoliate u are effectively handling both issues & Curology does have an anti-aging program too. My tretinoin is combined with clindamycin (anti-biotic) & azelic acid (helps fade marks & anti-inflammatory) & any patient will receive a custom med for their specific issues too. If u have tried everything & not had success or are doing the yo-yo thing, good month then bad month....try this please! I never write reviews but I really believe in this system, plus...it is so much cheaper than a derm visit & a prescription.

on 8/19/2016 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My problems are red skin (maybe rosacea) and also the very beginnings of fine wrinkles.

I signed up for Curology because my sister uses them for acne and told me that they're a great way to get prescription strength Retin-A.

When I signed up I was assigned a medical provider (Laura) who tole me that she could provide a formulation that would be perfect for treating and preventing wrinkles. She also tailored it so that it was appropriate for my sensitive skin.

Even though I was told that this wasn't guaranteed to help my redness, it's actually almost 100% cured it. On top of that the smoothing and fullness effects of the retinoid have been amazing. The price is a steal, and as far as I know there is nothing else like Curology. Literally my favorite skincare product.

Amazing product and service. It is so worth it! No doctors office or appointments. It worked great. My first bottle was an improvement but when I sent in my next set of photos my physician said it should be even better. The next bottle was that. I will be a curology client for a long time to come. I was just about to make an appt with a dermatologist for my acne when I found this and I gave it a try and I'm so thankful I did. For those of us that know our issue but need rx products to help it this is perfect. The timing was great on the auto refill. It came in the mail and two days later I used the last of the previous bottle. Can't say enough how much I love it. I haven't had an side effects but if you have sensitive skin I'm sure there are options to make it work for you. Customer service has been wonderful. Quick and helpful responses!

on 10/6/2016 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Love my Curology prescription! I'm on my third bottle and have noticed wonderful results. It takes a while to notice a difference, but I used to suffer from frequent breakouts on my nose and chin. I never get breakouts now and only have, at most, a tiny whitehead pop up maybe once a month. Such an amazing difference.
Only thing I hate is the packaging. It comes with a pump but sometimes it doesn't pump and I tried fixing it and ended up pushing some internal mechanism deep into the bottle. Wish it was simpler so I could fix it myself, but now I have to order a new one. So much wasted product :(
Anyhow, I highly recommend this product, just make sure you're honest with your online dermatologist if you aren't seeing the results you were expecting.

I have been using Curology for 4+ months now. I have struggled with cystic acne for a long while, and PIE. My skin has cleared up, and my PIE is slowly, but surely fading. On top of that, my derm has been so helpful, and gone out of her way to help me. I have started Doxycycline as a preventative measure, along with hopefully being able to use my Curology a little less. Needless to say, I absolutely love everything about it. I have seen nothing but great reviews on them as well. This has been the best decision of my life. At this point, this sounds like a paid AD, but it's really not. I have been writing about my journey on my blog, and using my Instagram to speak on it too. <3