hydrocolloid bandages

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have no words. Whatever happens underneath these bandages while you wear them is pure magic. I wear mine on picked pimples, cuts, eczema, raw skin, etc. Most skin problems can be solved with a hydrocolloid bandaid or two. I've tried both the kinds specifically for pimples and the drugstore ones for blisters, and I personally prefer the drugstore ones. They're cheaper, stay on longer, absorb more fluid, and you can cut them into custom sizes and shapes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Tried out everything under the sun and this is by far the best thing under the sun to get rid of pimples asap. I put some of my favourites in this article after trying out at least 15 different brands and types: http://www.beautytesttube.com/acne-solutions-tips-that-work/

(P.s. large hydrocolloid patches made for blisters are often more effective and cheaper)

If you can get your hands on these bandages, it is the only thing that keeps me from picking on my face. It heals the acne nicely without scarring and it works by pulling oils and pus from your pores. There are hydrocolloid bandages specifically made for acne but they are expensive and not readily available in stores so while you wait for them to get shipped , your acne is brewing. Not worth the wait.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Using these for acne is so fun and gross! I always wash my face, lance my zit after it comes to a head (with a sterilized needle, obviously), and then immediately pop one of these bad boys on. I got a box of six large ones, and I cut them up into smaller sizes.
The hydrocolloid bandage gets all gross with the gunk from the zit, and it's fun to watch it pull out all of the stuff. I use these before I go to bed, and by the time I wake up in the morning, my zits have shrunk immensely.

These are the best thing ever for treating a pimple in any stage of it's development - blind, ready to pop or recently popped. If I have a blind pimple (e.g. red lump that is slightly sore to touch with no signs of coming to a head any time soon, you know the ones that hang around for days even if you don't touch them), I put a hydrocolloid bandage on it and let it do it's work overnight. In the morning, the inflammation is either gone and the spot is flat OR it has reduced the size of the lump while helping the lump come to a head a lot quicker. A far better option than prodding and picking and squeezing until it becomes a weeping crater that takes FOREVER to heal (we've all done it and instantly regretted it! lol).

I also use these after popping a ready-to-go pimple - it keeps the affected area clean (so the bacteria doesn't spread to other pores in the same area), draws out any remaining gunk from the pore, speeds up the healing process and thus minimises scarring. If you're like me and you cant resist touching it or putting your fingers on it, at least having the bandage there stops extra bacteria getting in. And on a grosser level, you can actually see the gunk being drawn out of the spot underneath the bandage (usually a white spot that develops the longer you leave the bandage on). Yucky but oddly satisfying.

Since I started using these, I've noticed I develop significantly fewer pimples (because the bandages stop the spread) and the ones that do come along are milder and get flattened (literally) overnight when I put a hydrocolloid bandage on them before bed...and they don't leave scars that take weeks/months to fade. I always have these in my bathroom and take them with me when I travel.

Best.Things.Ever. Can't understand why you don't see these mentioned more often as a great treatment for acne and pimples.

The Target Up and Up brand hydrocolloid blister bandages are a good alternative to the Nexcare acne absorbing covers to absorb all the nasty gunk from pimples. The Nexcare ones are already cut in circles of two different sizes, but you can cut the Target (or other generic brand) bandages to whatever size you need. I found myself going through the larger of the two Nexcare sizes much more quickly than the smaller, so it's good to be able to cut your own pieces of bandage to cover your acne. The Target bandages are a bit whiter in color and more cloudy so it's more difficult to see the gunk that they absorb, but that's not really a deal breaker for me. They are also more sticky than the Nexcare covers and hurt a bit when you pull them off. Overall, for less money and with them being more widely available, they work as well for getting rid of a good amount of the gunk from recently popped pimples or ones that have come to a head.

I haven't used these for acne, but they are amazing for healing cuts and scrapes. My cat scratched me and I had two different lines from his claws - one that drew a little blood and one that was more shallow. I put the hydrocolloid bandage on the one that drew blood only, and it disappeared entirely while the other is still visible as a scar. They also last through showers and blend in very well with my fair skin, but they probably still need to make ones for darker skin. The entire bandage is sticky, including the part that comes into contact with the wound, so it's important to wait until the wound has closed to take them off.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It's really bizarre to me that these are not a part of the typical conversation surrounding acne issues. Believe me, I have done my research, been to a list of derms, and tried just about everything under the sun, but I only found out about these recently (as a result of a tip from PocketDerm, which is awesome and highly recommended!).

I picked up a pack of these from Target (their up&up brand) for about $4 - as a note, I've realized that they're usually not labeled as "hydrocolloid bandages." If you don't see any boxes at your local drug store that have that name on their packaging, look for the waterproof blister bandages instead. You can get these specifically sized for acne from NexCare, but the big bandages are the same exact thing, and you just have to cut them up.

The main thing to know about these is that they aren't going to be very effective on closed spots. While I THINK I've maybe seen the closed spots that I've put these on come to a head a bit faster (they're not cystic, but they are those deep, painful, red pimples), it's nothing particularly noticeable. I've started using Prid's drawing salve to encourage these to come to a head first, because you really need the spot to have that white head on it for this to do its job. So no, these are not a miracle cure for everything, BUT they are absolutely perfect for that big pimple that you either lanced or popped (we all do it...). They eliminate that cycle of having the pimple be this crusty eyesore that keeps filling up and getting swollen again for days after day (you know the type...it's rare that you pop a pimple once and it just goes away completely).

You're either going to need to use a sterilized needle to pop it or pop it (HYGIENICALLY) yourself, and then slap one of these on right away. Your skin should be totally clean, and ideally you should have steamed it recently and shouldn't be going anywhere for awhile (these work best if you put them on and then go to sleep). I don't recommend piling on your acne medication, because you want the bandage to focus on absorbing everything from the acne spot, not a clump of medication. I also recommend moisturizing and putting any products on your face AFTER - these bandages create a tight seal, so they won't affect it, and the bandage itself will keep the spot moisturized.

And then, don't touch it for 8 hours.

You'll wake up, peel the bandage off, and notice the gross amalgamation of pimple stuff that it has absorbed. The pimple might still be a bit red, but it will be either mostly or entirely flat and not crusty at all, making it easy to pop some concealer over it. SO much quicker than the process of draining it every day or waiting for it to drain on its own, and you avoid the risk of scarring by playing with it all the time.

As a note, this will not do much for cystic acne, as far as I can tell (I know that there are stories that say otherwise, though) and it's not going to get anything hardened out of your skin. However, these have been absolutely AMAZING for drawing out pimples that are coming to a head. I highly recommend, they're super cheap, and they totally work.

Ok why aren't more people talking about this? They are literally the best solution to a problem the majority of people suffer through at least a few times over their lifetime, so why don't most people know about it? Why is pinterest telling people to eff up their skin with lemons and baking soda, but nobody mentions hydrocolloid bandages????

The only brand I can find near me are the Johnson & Johnson tough pads, and they work fabulously. They stick super well, I have oily skin and I have never had one of these slip off. They stay where I put them until I peel them off. They're super cheap too, I think around $4 for a package of four pretty large sheets. I just cut them to size with nail scissors.

Literally I will get the hugest most disgusting cysts sometimes, the kind that take weeks to heal and only come to a head after like four days of utter misery, and these shorten the healing time to a few days. No exaggeration. I can go to bed with a giant pimple that no makeup will cover, and in the morning there will still be a red spot to conceal, but it will be FLAT. It's amazing! I almost enjoy getting pimples now because it's so satisfying to knock them out overnight.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I follow /r/skincareaddiction and these bandages (blister bandages) have been mentioned several times. I had a pack lying around for when I get bad blisters and I used a piece that I cut to size for my horrible acne spot last night. this spot had been there for about 3 days and just looked and felt awful. The bump was so painful. woke up this morning and the redness is still there but the bump is completely flat and painless! I'll definitely be keeping a stash of these in my cabinet!