Tanwise Dark Tanning Lotion

No Image

4.7

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Sally's was out of the Tanwise Sunless Mousse so I picked this up. It is completely different :(
I have been self-tanning since the 1980's. I have the process down to a science: Exfoliate and shave the night before. Day of, shower and then heavily moisturize 2 hrs before application. Sleep while processing, shower in morning and wash sheets.

This tanner was not worth all the 'hassle' of my routine. The results were more like something from a gradual tanner. The color is not horrible, it's just barely there.

The smell upon application was pleasant (cherry almond bark?). The color guide was super intense. The DHA smell didn't kick into full force until about 5 hrs in. I used to go to school and work with ladies that wear self tanner during the day. You stink. Please stop doing this. The rotting smell is on par with stress sweat.

The Mousse version gives a nice, natural looking tan in just 1 application. I will be going back to that once it's in stock.

on 6/9/2016 8:24:00 AM

The thing that really impressed me about this product is that it didn't get in the hair follicles in my legs and make little dark spots.

on 7/1/2015 7:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is by far my HG lotion - a bottle is $10-ish at Sally's and lasts me at least a few months (just doing chest and arms) The guide color is the perfect brown with the right amount of green and red undertones. Just a little bit of lotion gives a good amount of color. I will say the bottles I purchased in 2013 had the perfect color, with the ones I've purchased in 2014 leave my skin looking more red/pink/burned than what I remember. Maybe it's just a weird bottle but this will never stop me from repurchasing this!

on 5/13/2015 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ok I bought the tanwise one hour tanning lotion, after trying some high end brands that are not that good, now the best way to use this is to get a kitchen sponge (a new one) wet it and wring it out, put the tanner on it and rub into your skin works great, you have to work fast cause this dries pretty fast......I got a little streaking cause I was farting around looking in the
mirror at the color....the color is pretty dark but not to dark, its like the color I would get at the beach, the next day I took a shower and it got a tad lighter....
all in all this is good stuff for the price, and a little goes a long way.....also I had no orange with this and there was no smell....

love this stuff! cherry almond scent! works wonders. definitely apply with a tanning mitt. great value.

on 3/10/2016 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't usually write reviews for products but I just had to for this one... I have been looking for a great quality self tanner forever and I'm happy to say I found it! It was always hard to find something inexpensive and that didn't leave me looking like a huge ambulant carrot! I decided to try different self-tanners in the winter because if all else failed, I could just cover up with a scarf, etc. I went to the store and I found Tanwise for around $10 which is comparable to other brands. I would say that after five to ten minutes after the application, a really nice, golden tan was already noticeable. The next morning I was waiting to wake up smelling horrible and seeing unexpected streaks (trauma from past experiences) but my beautiful tan was still in tact and I smelled like cherry-almond! I applied it to my face as well and I didn't break out AT ALL. My skin felt sooo nice and smooth after. I can apply it in the morning and go about my day and I'm not sticky or smelly or anything... You definitely don't NEED to shower after it. This product is literally amazing. I would say that the only downsides to it is that I noticed the tan doesn't last for too long (maybe three days) and that you absolutely HAVE to wear gloves or a mitt. The lotion comes out in a very dark brown color (which is great for application) but leaves the palms of the hands a little gross... Honestly though, I would rather apply the lotion a couple of more times a week and have a nice tan in between than apply it once a week and smell and look horrible. Plus, this is pretty cheap so it evens out. I know everyone's skin is different but I hope this product works as well for you as it did for me! Have a good one ladies!

This is by far the best self tan that I've tried. Using a self tan mitt with this lotion is a must. The results are amazing! I get streak-free colour with each use and the colour is very natural. The product goes a long way. I will continue to repurchase!

on 2/13/2015 12:23:00 PM

Hands down this is my HG self tanner!

As a freckly, skin-so-white-it's-kinda-greenish-blue redhead, I consider myself a self tanning expert (along with an expert on all other beauty products that help keep the ginger at bay). Over the years, I've got countless custom mixed airbrush spray tans, and tried every lotion, mousse and cream you can buy in a store or online. I finally settled for Sun Labs--I say settled because even though I adore the formula, it costs an arm, a leg and the blood of your firstborn--not a great financial move.

I was in Sally's the other say and picked this up on a whim, because it was cheap and I couldn't resist. It is AMAZING.

This stuff isn't as good as sun labs--it's BETTER. I should pause here to say that I am a pro at self tanning and I've got the prep down cold for best results, even using crummy lotions:
1) take a long bath (no soap of bombs in the water) and exfoliate with the Baiden Mitten (if you haven't discovered this incredible device yet run to amazon and buy one. It will change your exfoliating game forever. My name's Molly Elizabeth if you're looking for baby names)
2) use a water based lotion on your feet, heels, ankles, knees (and back of knees), elbows (and back of elbows, which is actually the front...elbow pits?), hands and wrists. Then put on latex gloves.
3) work in QUICK but firm circles rubbing the lotion in. It does dry fast, but I think sun labs dries out and "balls up" way faster than this stuff does. Use sparingly everywhere you pre-lotioned. I even used this on my face by mixing 50/50 with face lotion.
4) take off the gloves. Put another layer of normal lotion on your hands and wrists, using it to blend the color. Then put a pea sized drop of tanner on the back of you r hand and blend the backs of your hands and fingers.

Anyway that's my secret formula for success. Back to the lotion. It smells exactly like sun labs, but as mentioned the tanwise seems a little more water based, so it goes on easier and dries less sticky. The best part? Even though I am VERY sensitive to it, I smelled NO DHA--not even the next morning! I was shocked cause lemme just tell you y'all, this girl was BROWN. the color is gorgeous, smooth, and so natural!

In a nutshell: get this stuff. In fact, buy it in bulk.

on 12/26/2014 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

TanWise one hour self-tanning lotion. Plastic or rubber gloves are essential to apply this product, but worse-case scenario, you could use one of those white eraser sponges to remove concentrated tint from palms of hands after application. That aside, I love this gel-like lotion, it gives you an immediate tint so you can visualize your application for even coverage. It dries so fast that you will need to rub on and smooth out quickly for the perfectly even & bronze-looking
natural tan appearance. It's reasonably priced at approximately 8 or 9 dollars for an 8 oz. bottle and just a little bit goes a long way, for example, 4 quarter-sized amounts covered all of my 5' 3",125 # self..

on 4/23/2015 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, I was a devoted self tanner user of Banana Boat Summer Color in deep, but after trying this last night, I am so thrilled with the color results of this product! It's fabulous!

Application: It's super dark, which I happen to love because I like to see where I am applying and make sure I do not miss any spots. It does dry pretty quickly, so you really do want to wear gloves and rub it in fast. It looks streaky due to drying quickly, but don't be alarmed. As long as you have all areas covered, when you wash the color guide off, you will not have streaks. It smells great for hours, but I still smell the self tanner smell once washing off for first day. I don't really care though as you can use scented body lotion and no one will notice.

Evenness: It's even and surprisingly my feet look decent too. The real test however will be outside. I find most self tanners tend to look weird on feet outside, unless you have some super crazy self tanning skills that I don't know about. Then feel free to send them my way!

All in all, I love this product and it dries well and think anyone who wants a dark self tanner would like this product once they got used to applying it well. It's similar to Sun Labs apparently.