Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by hair type : Other
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.9

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 10/28/2015 11:14:00 AM

I've been using Nizoral shampoo for several years now. It's the only shampoo that helps the eczema on my scalp. It's like medicine for my scalp. Too bad it's so expensive (in Canada anyway). The packaging is a bit excessive....does the plastic bottle really need a box?
I always have a spare bottle standing by...I would hate to run out of it.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

I started to use this upon a dermatologist's recommendation. I had no expectations of it, but it dramatically reduced the amount of hair I was losing per day. It does need to stay in contact with the scalp for at least 5 minutes in order to be effective, however; so I put it in a needle-nose bottle, shake it up with some water, make parts in my hair, put it on my scalp and let it sit for about 15 minutes before getting in the shower to rinse it off. It has been very effective. My insurance covers me for only 1 4 oz. bottle a month of the rx 2% ketoconazole shampoo. So, I alternate with this and some others to wash my scalp every day. I'm now losing only about 8 hairs a day in the shower, and I see no hairs on the pillow or the floors or trailing down my back.

on 11/30/2012 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i have very bad dandruff problem ever since puberty. Nothing really works for me (Head&Shoulders, or even the T-gel from Neutrogena that i eventually became allergic too). I also tried Klorane's shampoo for greasy hair (dandruff and greasy always go hand in hand for me). it worked for a while then stopped working....Nizoral really is the best. Not only it makes my hair light weighted and frech, it also prevents the itchiness and dandruff. My problem improved so much.

on 1/4/2012 8:17:00 PM

I get the occasional case of dandruff and this is the best thing that I have found. I let the shampoo sit for two minutes or two after lathering up really well, then condition. If I do this twice I am dandruff free for many months. I highly recommend a good conditioner because it can be a bit drying.

on 10/25/2009 12:01:00 PM

Is your hair thinning due to genetics? This shampoo should be part of your arsenal! Not only is it fantastic at getting rid of an itchy, flaky scalp but it does a great job of washing away DHT. DHT is what attacks your follicles making your hair fall out (for those who inherited a propensity to be affected by DHT).

I have been using this shampoo for about a year. I added this to my regimen of propecia and minoxidal (10+ years). It has helped my hair thicken up. I use it once or twice a week, leaving it on for 5 minutes while occasionaly massaging it into my scalp. I try to concentrate it only on my scalp so it is not too drying on the rest of my hair. I shampoo with my usual Bumble and Bumble thickening shampoo and leave that on while I apply the Nizoral to my scalp. Works like a charm. I highly recommend it!

on 12/5/2008 12:32:00 PM

I have a very small but stubborn spot of sebborheic dermatitis on my scalp. I used Dercos, cut out SLS, tried natural remedies, and this is the only thing that helped. I got it for $10 at CVS. The size isn't a problem as I only use a dime size amount for that one spot. It has cut down on itching and flaking. It hasn't completely eliminated it though. If I don't use it continuously it will come back. But for now this the best thing I have found. If it did get rid of my sd permanently I would give it a 5/5.

on 11/28/2008 2:48:00 PM

This is a miracle product for me! I have suffered for several years with seborrheic dermatitis (or something similar, I guess), and have tried MANY different products to no avail. Nizoral is the ONLY product that has helped remove the flakes from my scalp! After using it every 3-4 days for 1.5 months, I am now almost completely flake free, except for a small spot @ top of head. I highly recommend it, and I will purchase again when I run out.

on 7/18/2008 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am on my second bottle of Nizoral. Works very well for dandruff or dermatitis of the scalp. Works well as a clarifying shampoo and I use this 2x a week on my hair. I have fine hair which may have thinned out a little possibly due to dermatitis (I have not been diagnosed by dermatologist but my scalp is oily) and noticed a few hairs sprouting on my scalp.

It's important to follow the directions as directed on the bottle to get the best results which means letting it sit on your scalp for 5 minutes and massaging it in to your scalp.

I didn't think this smells minty as the reviewer stated below but smells like lavender which I love and tingles so you know it's cleaning the scalp. It's a little pricey for a small bottle about $12.00 CAD but it works to keep the scalp clean. Using this, I can skip a day of washing my hair which I normally can't.

Canadians can purchase the 2% ketoconazole over the counter. Ladies who color their hair will find it will strip out your hair color overtime but if you suffer from dandruff or dermatitus-this is shampoo to use.

on 6/25/2008 9:30:00 AM

"Dandruff, seborrhea, itchy and dry scalp can be caused by a microscopic fungus (pityrosporum ovale) that occurs naturally on everyone's skin. During times of stress or change in climate or diet, the fungus can grow more quickly causing worsening of symptoms." Nizoral is the only product I know of that kills this fungus completely. I am using the presciption strength (2% ketoconazole) and after 30 odd years of itching and flaking (even in and around my ears), things are finally under control. I leave this on for the full five minutes once or twice a week, making sure to spread the lather inside my ears as well. Since my hair is short and uncoloured, I have no problem, in fact it leaves my hair full and soft. However, if you have processed hair, you will probably want to follow this with a really good conditioner. When I follow the Nizoral with Nioxin conditioner and leave on the requisite three minutes, the mint totally cools/soothes any irritable spots on my head. I was one of those people who could not go a day without shampooing or my head would be so intensely itchy it would drive my crazy - no more. This is expensive but totally worth it.

on 10/24/2007 11:22:00 PM

This review is for Nizoral A-D Non-Prescription Strength (the 1% Ketoconazole formula, not the 2% strength).
I began using Nizoral A-D back at the end of August. For at least a couple of years I had noticed scaling (or little scabs) on my scalp that I couldn't help but pick at. It seemed like they were always there. I'd pick, and I'd make them bleed; irritating my scalp even more. Also, throughout this time I'd noticed so much shedding. I didn't pay any mind to it until one day a few months ago when I'd looked in the mirror and noticed areas of visible scalp near my temples.
After reading up on female hair loss, I found out that it may be due to an over-production in androgens. Androgens can be a MAJOR cause in adult acne too (which I suffer from as well). Nizoral is an anti-androgen. It actually physically removes a good amount of DHT (androgens) from the scalp.
Here's how I use it: every time I wash, which is every 2nd-3rd day - I lather up Nizoral on my scalp area, let it sit for about 3 minutes or so, rinse with warm water, then repeat with my regular shampoo and conditioner for that day. I haven't noticed any additional dryness whatsoever.
Since using this over the past couple of months, I've noticed SOOOO much less shedding. Dandruff is no where to be found. Even more; I have not had ONE SINGLE SCAB since I started.
I just purchased two more bottles off ebay. I'm even considering buying the 2% to use maybe once every week or two.

How to use Nizoral to help stop hair loss continued >>