Nizoral AD Shampoo

Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 4/16/2018 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My dermatologist prescribed this shampoo for my psoriasis. I do not understand actually, because it is an anti fungal treatment and psoriasis has nothing to do with fungus. The shampoo is very drying to my hair and scalp and make me loose more hair than normally. It does nothing for my scalp condition, so I stopped using it after 3 weeks.

on 3/29/2018 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I suffer from very nasty dandruff problem that was a source of embarrassment for me since I was a kid. Nothing and I mean NOTHING helped me reduce it. This shampoo is the only thing that has ever managed to reduce my dandruff. I tried so many things over the years with fail. Now I can go days without washing my hair and without disgusting flakes taking over my scalp. It's the best and the bottle lasts me for a whole year. I use it at least once a week to keep the dandruff away, if i skiped it for a week I start noticing the dandruff coming back. But once I am consistent on using it every week again and the dandruff disappeared totally.

The best stuff I have used for dandruff - period.
Makes me get rid of itchy scalp within one use and believe me, I have had very bad dandruff before.
It's a bit drying but I recommend using a conditioner for dry/damaged hair along with Nizoral.

I believe this shampoo is quite expensive here where I live so I had it bought from the US. Back to my review, this shampoo does work and slowly my dandruff problems are starting to get rid off. Lesser chances of itching scalp at first BUT the dandruff is more visible now. Plus it doesn't bubble, maybe bec I am used to shampoo with bubbles forming later on. I guess I can live with that. This is the only anti dandruff shampoo that's working for my itchy scalp. Definitely going to purchase again.

on 5/13/2017 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't have dandruff or flakiness but I did have an itchy scalp from Aussie moist shampoo and conditioner ( which I still want to use because they work well for my hair and I have two enormous bottles). A single shampoo with Nizoral worked - no more itchiness. Instructions say to use this once every three or four days for no more than eight weeks or as needed. I used it one more time to be sure, and then put it away for the next time this happens. I used a very small amount. Very happy to have this in the arsenal. I also read reviews below that seemed to indicate less hair shedding with this. Since I shed a lot, that would be a great plus.

Nizoral was more gentle and less drying than some clarifying shampoos I have used (Suave, Neutragena, organix coconut) and even though I decided not to use conditioner afterwards, my hair wasn't straw like. It felt clean and healthy, not weighed down, but not squeaky stripped either. Slightly more volume, so I assume Nizoral roughed up the hair shaft a bit. For reference, I have Asian normal hair, tending a bit towards oily, that is dyed from a nice n easy box, no other issues. Nizoral brought my hair and scalp back to normal, like a reset button. It has not oxidized or stripped my color.

Note: I got some on my forehead and it dried my combination skin, tending towards dry, out a bit (I noticed that some reviews below successfully use it as a facial or body cleanser) but it did not dry out my hair. I am prone to milia and hives and this did not irritate. Also, it does not have an objectionable or strong scent. A generic drug store shampoo (Aussie moist) and a clarifier (Neutragena) are far more obnoxiously scented. If I could give this product more than five stars for its swift efficacy and pleasant application, I would.

on 12/29/2016 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I don't have dandruff but for 15 years I've dealt with a mysteriously itchy scalp despite my attempts at moisturizing , washing, and all the tips and tricks to alleviate it. Finally I gave this a go and i now can go up to two weeks without my scalp itching. The itch is finally gone. This product is an interesting bold shade of blue and goes from $12-$16 depending on where you purchase it. Though it does strip your hair, its nothing that a simple conditioner can't soften. I only focus on my scalp and just let the suds run through the strands. My only two issues with this product is that it burns bitterly in your eyes, and i have yet to have a session where some didn't somehow get in my eyes. You must be as thorough as possible removing any lingering product from your hair before you open your eyes. It doesn't just burn momentarily. It lingers in a way that makes me worry about long term damage. The other issue is the size for the amount i pay. I would really like this in a family size since it's now the only shampoo that i use and there just isn't a lot in this small bottle.

on 11/6/2016 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This past summer, I was dealing with a pretty severe case of folliculitis, that my doctor believed to just be acne. It was all over my forehead, cheeks, scalp, chest, and shoulders, and was beginning to travel down my arms. The hair on my scalp was falling out at an alarming rate. I did some research into what could be going on with my skin, and found that many people used Nizoral, particularly in combination with low-grade antibiotics, to help treat their folliculitis. My doctor prescribed Minocycline to help with my "acne", and I bought Nizoral as a last resort, to use as a shampoo. My scalp was almost 100% better within a week. I noticed that the skin on my hairline was starting to improve as well, so I tried it as a body and face wash.
As a face wash, it is quite drying, and unfortunately with folliculitis, excessive moisturizing can exacerbate the problem. HOWEVER, this (in combination with the Minocycline and a few weeks later Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid), my skin is significantly better. I haven't had a recurrence of bumps on my forehead, and the texture on my cheeks is significantly improved. My chest and shoulders are perfectly clear.
This stuff worked wonders for me. I now use it 1-2 times a week to maintain the results.

This didn't seem to work for my SD. I don't know why. I tried using as instructed but it's as if I hadn't used anything different. So disappointed, specially considering the crazy expensive price. Currently using neutrogena t gel but things seem identical as with this. We'll see.

on 5/1/2016 10:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Great product that REALLY works like a charm -- for dandruff (as a shampoo) AND body skincare (as a body wash -- follow the same instructions as the shampoo, but use as a body wash instead)! Been using it for years for my scalp and I seriously cannot remember the last time I had a flake. Started using it as a body wash a couple of months ago (for some pimples on problem areas) and wow, it cleared that up pretty well! (And FAST!). Highly recommended, this one's here to stay.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hey guys, my review for this product is based on skincare. I have acne-prone skin that is quite oily. When I do breakout, it's quite cystic, but because of my skin tone; it isn't very visible. I also have a lot of flesh coloured bumps on my forehead, done some research and found out it is pityrosporum folliculitis. Something to do with fungas and whatnot.

After seeing many people on Acne.org suggest Nizoral, I decided to buy it. I bought it on Amazon for £6. It arrived the same day, I thought the packaging looked quite cheap and the bottle was smaller than I expected so I hoped it would work.
I squeezed a pea size amount into my palm and wet my hands, lathering it up. I then decided to put it on my whole face as I had a few spots on my chin and cheeks I wanted to reduce . I left the product on for 10 minutes and then rinsed it off. My face felt smooth but was quite dry/ tight; so I moisturised using some aqueous cream. In the morning I repeated the process and throughout the day I checked to see if it might've worked, and it had! The bumps on my forehead where significantly reduced and some weren't even there anymore. I decided to do the whole process again in he evening before bed. And after rinsing it off, I can say that the product has worked wonders! My skin is smooth and my main problem area (forehead) has had a dramatic improvement. I have only used this product 3 times. So I can't be sure if it is working to its full extent, but I will post an update after one weeks use.

UPDATE:
I have used this product for 5 days and the first mistake I made was to use it in the morning AND the evening on my whole face. I didn't realise how drying it was going to be. It left my skin feeling quite tight but after using aqueous cream, it was okay. But on the 5th day of me doing this routine, I realised how dry my face had gotten. It sort of feels scaly in a sense, but it doesn't look it. Other than this negative; the product did significantly reduce the bumps all on my forehead, it is now smooth and flat (no bumps) which I am ecstatic about. It did also reduce any other spots I had aswell. Since my problem areas have been helped, I now have to focus on getting all of this dry skin off. Yesterday I applied honey to my whole face and left it for about 4 hours. I then used white sugar to scrub my face while the honey was on and then washed it all off, using the remaining sugar just going over the really dry areas. My skin was left soft and smooth. I moisturised with aqueous cream again to lock in the moisture. Feeling my skin now, there are only a few patches where it's rough (from dryness); which I am quite happy about. I am now cleansing with aqueous cream and using either Nivea facial cream or aqueous cream to moisturise.

So I would recommend his product for anyone who has pityrosporum folliculitis because it does work. But I would recommend you only use it at night and twice a week!!