Nizoral AD Shampoo

Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 5/1/2016 10:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Great product that REALLY works like a charm -- for dandruff (as a shampoo) AND body skincare (as a body wash -- follow the same instructions as the shampoo, but use as a body wash instead)! Been using it for years for my scalp and I seriously cannot remember the last time I had a flake. Started using it as a body wash a couple of months ago (for some pimples on problem areas) and wow, it cleared that up pretty well! (And FAST!). Highly recommended, this one's here to stay.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hey guys, my review for this product is based on skincare. I have acne-prone skin that is quite oily. When I do breakout, it's quite cystic, but because of my skin tone; it isn't very visible. I also have a lot of flesh coloured bumps on my forehead, done some research and found out it is pityrosporum folliculitis. Something to do with fungas and whatnot.

After seeing many people on Acne.org suggest Nizoral, I decided to buy it. I bought it on Amazon for £6. It arrived the same day, I thought the packaging looked quite cheap and the bottle was smaller than I expected so I hoped it would work.
I squeezed a pea size amount into my palm and wet my hands, lathering it up. I then decided to put it on my whole face as I had a few spots on my chin and cheeks I wanted to reduce . I left the product on for 10 minutes and then rinsed it off. My face felt smooth but was quite dry/ tight; so I moisturised using some aqueous cream. In the morning I repeated the process and throughout the day I checked to see if it might've worked, and it had! The bumps on my forehead where significantly reduced and some weren't even there anymore. I decided to do the whole process again in he evening before bed. And after rinsing it off, I can say that the product has worked wonders! My skin is smooth and my main problem area (forehead) has had a dramatic improvement. I have only used this product 3 times. So I can't be sure if it is working to its full extent, but I will post an update after one weeks use.

UPDATE:
I have used this product for 5 days and the first mistake I made was to use it in the morning AND the evening on my whole face. I didn't realise how drying it was going to be. It left my skin feeling quite tight but after using aqueous cream, it was okay. But on the 5th day of me doing this routine, I realised how dry my face had gotten. It sort of feels scaly in a sense, but it doesn't look it. Other than this negative; the product did significantly reduce the bumps all on my forehead, it is now smooth and flat (no bumps) which I am ecstatic about. It did also reduce any other spots I had aswell. Since my problem areas have been helped, I now have to focus on getting all of this dry skin off. Yesterday I applied honey to my whole face and left it for about 4 hours. I then used white sugar to scrub my face while the honey was on and then washed it all off, using the remaining sugar just going over the really dry areas. My skin was left soft and smooth. I moisturised with aqueous cream again to lock in the moisture. Feeling my skin now, there are only a few patches where it's rough (from dryness); which I am quite happy about. I am now cleansing with aqueous cream and using either Nivea facial cream or aqueous cream to moisturise.

So I would recommend his product for anyone who has pityrosporum folliculitis because it does work. But I would recommend you only use it at night and twice a week!!

To Read all 161 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the only dandruff treatment I've ever used that actually works. Other things that I've tried- Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Lush's Soak and Float, Avalon Organics, coconut oil- didn't do nothing (well, except the coconut oil, that really didn't help), but they didn't make me completely flake or itch-free either. This did.

I followed the directions with the initial treatment period. It took about a month for the dandruff to completely go away, but I kept using it for another month or two. Since then (about eight months ago) I've been using it once every two weeks or so. Because of this, I've only one and a half of the 4 fl oz size in all of that time (kind of justifies the high price per fluid ounce).

I don't have dandruff anymore. And not only that- I'm no longer chained to the use of only cosmetically unfriendly and strange smelling dandruff shampoos, I can use whatever I want inbetween washes from this!

Not that this shampoo smells that terrible, or makes your hair look bad. I would describe the smell as soapy, a bit spicy (not in a cinnamon-y way, more in a slightly masculine way), and a tiny bit flowery. The resulting scent is definitely not unpleasant or too manly, though a man could use it without smelling like a woman. The shampoo itself is a teensy bit drying, but not as much as a clarifying shampoo. It gets my hair clean and gives it some volume.

Overall, I love this stuff, and I have an extra bottle of it for when I run out of this one.

on 10/28/2015 11:14:00 AM

I've been using Nizoral shampoo for several years now. It's the only shampoo that helps the eczema on my scalp. It's like medicine for my scalp. Too bad it's so expensive (in Canada anyway). The packaging is a bit excessive....does the plastic bottle really need a box?
I always have a spare bottle standing by...I would hate to run out of it.

on 9/22/2015 3:06:00 PM

I have stubborn seborrheic dermatitis and this is the only thing that helped keep me flake free. However, it is important to follow the directions on the bottle. I used it twice a week, which is proper per the directions. What I did wrong was using it twice a week for longer than an 8 week period. So, all of a sudden one day after I used it, my scalp was beet red and there were tiny flakes throughout my hair. I went back into the shower and rewashed my hair and the redness went away. So now, I will use it only when I have a flare up. It isn't gentle on the hair so I conditioned the ends of my hair prior to shampooing to act as a buffer.

I'm rating this based on the effect this product has had on my acne. I came across trying this product while scanning the internet for the cause of the tiny, flesh-coloured bumps on my skin that I thought was acne. I'm currently on Benzaclin gel, which has mainly cleared up my acne. However, the bumps on my forehead and cheeks would not go away. Upon a google search, I came across the term pityrosporum folliculitis, a condition caused by fungal overgrowth (similar to dandruff). I use this 2x a week after washing my face. I apply a teaspoon sized amount, lather it, and leave it on my face a few minutes. This has largely cleared up my bumps!!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun, and T-Gel all with no luck. This is now my HG anti-dandruff shampoo! This has a unoffensive, soapy smell that does not linger and this shampoo actually lathers and cleans! Most other anti-dandruff shampoos I've tried have just stripped my hair completely. This lathered really nicely and still didn't leave my hair dry when I rinsed it out. I have very thick, color treated hair with oily roots and super dry ends. This stopped the itching, stopped the flakes, and got rid of buildup. This is awesome. I would recommend to anyone who is struggling with scalp issues.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I used this years ago after a doc prescribed it. It helped but over the years I've been on a natural kick. I have very curly dry bushy hair and live in a hot humid climate. As much as I would like to wash my hair only occasionally, after 2-3 days of shampooing, my scalp becomes unbearably itchy. If I scratch it, an oily substance comes off in my nail. So my scalp is oily but my hair is so dry. After trying baking soda with no success, I tried using Nizoral again and after only one use, I felt the difference. My scalp was not itchy even after 4 days and even my hair looked healthier. I guess the clearing of the scalp helps oils travel down strands better. I will continue to use it twice a week for a month and then switch to once a week.

on 7/31/2015 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

AMAZING! i had dandruff for years since i was a child, nothing made it go away like this! i tried hot oil treatment, ACV rinses, different commercial shampoos and medicated shampoos... nothing made it go away, i am so happy i found out about it! i was so surprised how i was able to see my scalp for the first time in a long time! i used it for two times and it had made an amazing change in my scalp, finally got rid of dandruff!

on 7/26/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Love love love this shampoo. I have severe flaky, skin peeling type of dandruff. I have tried many shampoo from head & shoulder, t-gel, zinc, sulfur, etch. You name it. This is the only product that can keep my snowing at bay.

Popular Shampoos