Nizoral AD Shampoo

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
 Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.5

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 4/16/2018 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My dermatologist prescribed this shampoo for my psoriasis. I do not understand actually, because it is an anti fungal treatment and psoriasis has nothing to do with fungus. The shampoo is very drying to my hair and scalp and make me loose more hair than normally. It does nothing for my scalp condition, so I stopped using it after 3 weeks.

I believe this shampoo is quite expensive here where I live so I had it bought from the US. Back to my review, this shampoo does work and slowly my dandruff problems are starting to get rid off. Lesser chances of itching scalp at first BUT the dandruff is more visible now. Plus it doesn't bubble, maybe bec I am used to shampoo with bubbles forming later on. I guess I can live with that. This is the only anti dandruff shampoo that's working for my itchy scalp. Definitely going to purchase again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the only dandruff treatment I've ever used that actually works. Other things that I've tried- Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Lush's Soak and Float, Avalon Organics, coconut oil- didn't do nothing (well, except the coconut oil, that really didn't help), but they didn't make me completely flake or itch-free either. This did.

I followed the directions with the initial treatment period. It took about a month for the dandruff to completely go away, but I kept using it for another month or two. Since then (about eight months ago) I've been using it once every two weeks or so. Because of this, I've only one and a half of the 4 fl oz size in all of that time (kind of justifies the high price per fluid ounce).

I don't have dandruff anymore. And not only that- I'm no longer chained to the use of only cosmetically unfriendly and strange smelling dandruff shampoos, I can use whatever I want inbetween washes from this!

Not that this shampoo smells that terrible, or makes your hair look bad. I would describe the smell as soapy, a bit spicy (not in a cinnamon-y way, more in a slightly masculine way), and a tiny bit flowery. The resulting scent is definitely not unpleasant or too manly, though a man could use it without smelling like a woman. The shampoo itself is a teensy bit drying, but not as much as a clarifying shampoo. It gets my hair clean and gives it some volume.

Overall, I love this stuff, and I have an extra bottle of it for when I run out of this one.

on 7/26/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Love love love this shampoo. I have severe flaky, skin peeling type of dandruff. I have tried many shampoo from head & shoulder, t-gel, zinc, sulfur, etch. You name it. This is the only product that can keep my snowing at bay.

on 5/1/2015 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My scalp is usually oily, with dry ends to my long hair, though I hadnít had a major dandruff problem in years, and Head & Shoulders had kept my scalp in moderate condition on a regular basis (I was never really a fan of Head & Shoulders and I continued to use it out of habit). But when I became pregnant with my forth child, and a harsh winter hit at the same time, my skin and scalp rebelled. The flakiness of my face and scalp were uncontrollable and embarrassing. I found out I had seborrheic dermatitis made worse by my eczema. I started treating my face with hydrocortisone and an antifungal, but my scalp I treated with this. After one use, my scalp felt more comfortable, not as itchy, though the flakes werenít really improved. Two weeks later (shampooing with this every other day), my scalp was significantly less flaky and didnít itch at all. The bottle recommends using this shampoo 3-4 times a week for eight weeks then only as needed. For me it was about ten weeks before the dandruff was truly manageable with once or twice a week. That was also about the time that my skin calmed down too so it is possible that my skin and scalp issues wouldíve resolved themselves. Still, the results of this were so immediate that I know it helped so I will continue to use it as needed and purchase again when I run out. On a side note: my nine-year-old daughter has a horrible oily scalp (but no flakes) and this shampoo did nothing for her, I need to keep searching for something for her.

on 1/24/2015 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this hoping it would reduce my unexplained shedding. I was not shedding extremely much hair, but enough to make me uncomfortable, like twice as usual. I want to keep my quite thick hair on my head and grow it really long so I will not tolerate shedding too much as I refuse to give up having "my dream hair" at 22 years old. I have used this product 4 times now and honestly, it has reduced my shedding with every wash. This night I only collected about 6 hairs in the shower. Barely two weeks ago I was shedding more like 40 hairs in the shower. I use a different shampoo before Nizoral, than work the Niz onto my scalp, apply conditioner on the length of my hair, clip it up, go on with the rest of my shower routine and then rinse it off. It simply works to stop the shedding. I am very pleased. It's not some placebo effect or wishful thinking. I collect the hairs I am shedding in the shower carefully, because I do not want to clog the draining. Just four washes of this have reduced my shedding to about 20-30 % and it seems to get better with every wash.
A few negative points that made me take a point off my rating:
-barely lathers at all . it is a liquid shampoo that will barely make any foam. I need to apply it a few times to feel secure that I have enough product on my scalp. I suggest getting your hair very quickly through the shower head, it would make the shampoo lather more
-very expensive for the quantity. I can tell the price is speculative because nizoral doesn't have much competition. ketoconazole is not an expensive ingredient so the price is too high
-is rather drying on the hair. just use a conditioner

I will update my review after some more time.

on 7/25/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only thing that works for me! The price isn't terrible and it's not terribly harsh on my hair. Once your condition is under control, you only need to use once or twice a week. I've tried many other products but this is my HG.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been dealing with shedding for years now, triggered by a terrible Accutane experience which wound up throwing my hormones out of whack and worsening my PCOS. I've tried nearly everything else-- supplements, dietary changes, and things had gotten slightly better, but I always knew I was shedding more than I should.

But that all changed.

I'd accepted my hair loss. I was actually reading up on Monistat to grow hair faster (I've got some pesky bangs I want to grow out, not to mention a ton of baby hairs from when my shed took a turn for the worse...) and discovered it could help shedding. So I picked up the Monistat and Nizoral so I would have a double dose of antifungals, since their ingredients are related. I'd do a weekly Monistat scalp treatment and wash my hair every 2-3 days with diluted Nizoral (just a squirt in a color applicator bottle; you really don't need much.)

I'd had a problem with scalp buildup, mainly since I was afraid to manipulate my hair since my follicles were so weak. Gone. I had dandruff. Gone. And my terrible Accutane-induced hair loss? Back to normal levels. I couldn't believe it.

I'm behind on my Monistat treatments and I still don't have as much shedding.

The only problem I've found is that, although it keeps my scalp healthy, it dries out the rest of my hair. Yeah, it gives my fine hair a little extra volume, but it's not shiny and is more brittle than usual. I've got more tangles than usual, too... SLS is one of the main ingredients, so that's to be expected.

Oh well. Gonna keep using. :)

on 3/19/2013 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had the worst dandruff ever. Tenacious, too. And this cleared it up in just two weeks. What I like about it is that it's more of a treatment, leaving you free to use your preferred choice of shampoo for daily washing. I disliked drugstore shampoos like Head and Shoulders because it's always too heavy for my fine, limp hair - I needed the extra volume boost too.

It's very easy to use - squeeze out the clear pink liquid, spread around my scalp, massage it in a little, and leave on for about 5 minutes. Then I rinse it out and use my everyday shampoo. It works perfectly!

Very happy with it.

on 12/24/2012 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This shampoo is great with the mild dandruff I have during certain times of the year, but what is also great about it is that the main ingredient has also shown signs of reducing shedding. This is something I've read about in random bouts of research and so decided to try it solely for that reason. From time to time I get dht related excessive shedding due to an ovarian condition that causes hormonal imbalance. When I use this product for long periods of time, I do notice a reduction of that shedding. The smell isn't too bad either, and I only have to use it as directed on the bottle, every couple days.