Alpha Skin Care Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHA

Alpha Skin Care Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHA
Intensive Rejuvinating Serum 14% Glycolic AHAAlpha Skin Care

4.7

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Matricaria Extract, Green Tea Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aloe Baradensis Juice, Wheatgemamidopropyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cellulose Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate. (note they have reformulated and changed the preservative to a less irritating ingredient)

on 12/18/2016 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using Alpha products since they hit the market over two decades ago (when they were Alpha Hydrox) and the very first AHAs on the market. It's been a staple in my routine ever since, and you can look at my pics to see what this, strong sunscreen, and a few other potions (primarily Paula's Choice serums) have done for a 45 yo smoker (the b&w pic does have airbrushing, I'll admit, if anyone looks) who has never had a chemical peel, been in a tanning bed, or had any plastic surgery. I'm proof it's THE Holy Grail product along with a properly pH'd BHA, which declogs pores & prevents blackheads.

I use this first, then a BHA (unless my skin needs me to ease off, which happens in cold weather), a serum, Olay Total Effects 7 in the pump container (best deal for a whopping dose of skin-repairing niacinamide), and maybe Cerave Healing Ointment or vaseline under my eyes, around my mouth and along my nose.

If that's too much for you, by all means make this one the start of your nightly routine followed by whatever potion you like. It exfoliates skin, thus turning cells over faster & reducing fine lines, pores, imperfections & discolorations. It takes skin six weeks to turn over, so don't expect immediate results from anything not prescribed by a doctor. It will sting at first application, and this may subside for you, or you may be like me and forever experience at least an initial tingle.

WARNING: if you're new to using AHAs, I strongly recommend beginning with a 8-10% AHA solution because 14% is almost the strongest you can go without a prescription. It's easy to go overboard & end up causing more harm than good, then blaming the product. Gentle is always the key, as you can always build up but not build down.

on 7/23/2016 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm a big fan of Alpha Hydrox 12% Souffle (now called Alpha Enhanced Revitalizing Skin Cream), and was excited to try the serum. The old name is Alpha Hydrox Intensive Serum, and it came in a bottle with a flip-top cap. The new version is the same formula, new name Alpha Intensive Rejuvinating Serum, and it comes in a pump, which is a great packaging improvement. The product is water-like in consistency, a bit slippery which helps in spreading it over skin. It is fragrance free, but has a slight vinegar-like scent which I've noticed with most AHA products. I use bare hands to apply it--I put a few drops in my cupped hand, quickly rub my hands together and glide it over my skin.

For my face, I only use AHA around 3 times a week at night, and alternate other nights with a low concentration prescription Retin-A. There is no doubt that the Alpha products are effective as I had smoother skin overnight when I first started using them, and I continue to enjoy clear, radiant skin with regular use. AHA was a great addition to my routine, and as a plus, it eliminated the flaking problem I had from Retin-A. There is also solid research showing that AHA does provide skin repair and improvement over time, which is a potent anti-aging perk!

Having said that, for use on my face, I found the 14% AHA concentration to be a little too much, even after working up to it with the Alpha 12% skin cream. On my body, it has been superlative, and I've been able to use it daily. When applied on my upper arms, it keeps my KP in check better than any other product I've tried. When used on my hands before hand cream, it smooths rough patches, even around the knuckles. I think it would also be great on other thickened areas on the body such as elbows, knees and feet, although I haven't tried that yet.

All the Alpha products are fairly priced, although not widely available. I have only seen them in one local store, and they do not carry the full line. However, the company does have a very nice web site and online store, so the products can be easily mail ordered. Many of the formulae are simple, but all are balanced to the correct pH to optimize effectiveness. The company is open about publishing their ingredients, so it is easy to check for the right product before purchasing. I really can't say enough good things about Alpha and their AHA products. I'm a customer for life!

One thing to beware of--if using AHA, make sure it is not applied to broken skin, or it will burn! Small cuts, chapped areas, etc., must be mostly healed to avoid irritation. Also, AHA makes skin more sensitive to sun damage, so it is imperative to wear sun screen daily.

This product is AMAZING! and the BEST product I have ever found!! I have adult cystic acne that gets really bad at times (bad enough that my derm always wants me to go on Accutane) and I find one of the only things that helps me is using a glycolic acid product. I have used this product line for over 10 years and was excited when I saw this product and read the ingredient list which included things like sodium hyaluronate (a great moisturizer and fine line plumper) plus aloe and the decent concentration of glycolic acid. What I really love about it is that it works, the small ingredient list and the thin watery consistency. It absorbs in to my skin so well and has not broken me out (miracle) and in fact has really helped my current acne situation. My skin is SO oily so I use this as a moisturizer and it's amazing. I use a very drying BP wash and a topical but after using this my skin is so plump and moisturized but not greasy. Of course, the oil always comes later in the day, but now my skin is so refined and fresh looking. My skin is so smooth now and my scars are really starting to fade. This product truly is a miracle and the best over the counter purchase I have ever made.

on 2/13/2016 11:38:00 AM

I have only been using this for about 2 weeks and what a difference! I used the 10% for years with good results, along with several other AHA products. This one isn't so easy to find, finally tracked it down online for around $17.

I'm 52, and have been genetically lucky, especially considering all the sun damage I've done to my skin. However, with menopause just starting, the aging process is speeding up in a scary way. My skin has been looking pretty dull, and though I have no deep wrinkles, I think the texture of my skin is getting rougher, not as tight and smooth. I like using powder foundations and powder highlighters, and was hating the way the powders accented all the little imperfections in my skin texture. The 1% retinol product I'd been using was not doing much, and I was planning on seeing a dermatologist and seeing about getting on some prescription products....before I decided to try this!

After removing makeup and cleansing at night, I use a toner, then wait about 15 minutes until my skin is really dry. AHA's need to go on dry skin to work. You only need about a dime sized amount of this liquid gel. I spread it all over my face, avoiding the eye lids.

In two weeks of use, my skin looks much smoother, more plumped up. I am really pleased with this stuff, and until I start using Retin A, I'm sticking with this!

on 2/23/2016 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just Love this product! It has a new package and is now called ALPHA Skin Care. But it is still manufactured by Neoteric Cosmetics in Denver, CO and appears the ingredients are all the same. Instead of being labeled Intensive Serum, it is now "Rejuvenating Serum".

I have used two other forms of their Glycolic Acid, but will continue to repurchase this one. I like the consistency of the serum and have never had any tingling or burning or redness from it.

I believe the price may have gone up just a tad, but the product for the price is unbeatable in my opinion.

I hope this helps and look forward to reading new reviews.

on 7/24/2012 10:39:00 AM

So far I love this. I have been using this for almost 2 weeks, will update over time. I have also used AH souffle, swipes and oil-free. I've never had any acne issues with any of them. The swipes and souffle can tingle and be uncomfortable to use every day.

This serum is my new favorite AH daytime treatment. Unlike other AH products, this completely disappears into my skin, and I don't experience any burning or tingling sensation so far which makes me more likely to use this. I use about 3-4 drops for my entire face. I also am using it to lighten some recent scars on my arm. I think it will last a long time. My skin looks really good since I started using this. Time will tell, but I am enjoying the glow now.

There are preservatives, check the ingredients. If the serum drips somewhere, it will crystallize and turn white, and I see that on that cap sometimes. That is noted as normal on the mfr website. I like that I am able to drip out a drop at a time, no waste.

EDIT: December 2014: I had to stop using Alpha-Hydrox products after I developed a sensitivity. I used these products for about three years, realizing earlier this year that the small acne bumps all over my face were actually being caused by this regimen. I purchased all my AH products direct from the company during their great sales (you should get on their mailing list if you like them!). It is possible that my AH products (since I bought several at a time) were a little old and that might be related to the sensitivity thing. In any case, I find that over time, most products stop being effective for me. I am not too disappointed, this regimen became a but harsh on my skin.

on 12/16/2016 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Holy Grail. I am on my fourth bottle. Helps combat my fine lines and acne. My skin looks rejuvenated. I wish everyone knew about alpha hydrox! This is very lightweight and watery, I apply in the evening and wake up looking fresh. I wish I knew about this product a long time ago. Make sure you use sunscreen, this will make your skin more sensitive to the sun. This product is incredibly cheap in comparison to almost every other serum. I purchase via amazon. Will use as long as it is available.

on 9/22/2016 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm on my third or fourth bottle of this serum. It has quality ingredients, the price is amazingly low and it is effective. I use it most nights before I moisturize. It keeps my skin looking clear, fresh and tight. I LOVE this line and have been a faithful customer of this brand for years! Even when I stray, I always come back!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

The intensive serum is what I consider to be the BEST product that Alpha Hydrox makes. It sinks into my skin effortlessly, it doesn't have any odor to it, and it doesn't break me out at all. And, it it is absolutely to use boost one's facial clarity, better even out one's skin tone, suberbly provide one's face with a smoother and more taut look than without.

This is one product that's worthy to be praised!!!!!!!!!!

The only reason why i no longer regularly use this product, is because i currently see a dermatologist, and i get monthly professional facial peels done there. However, if you are someone that does not see a dermatologist and is looking for a product that will really make a difference with your skin, i highly recommend giving this product a try.

on 3/12/2015 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

As someone trying to ward off the effects of aging, I have begun to dabble in various skincare, including AHA's. I have to say, my experience with this particular product has been close to ideal. After some trial and error with application, I believe I have figured out how to get the best results for my skin and its needs.

I have previously tried the AH 12% Souffle with some degree of success. I then tried the 10% oil free treatment. I only lasted a week because the texture (gel) was off putting to me and the results were non existent, perhaps due to the decrease in AHA %. While at Ulta a month ago, I stumbled upon this serum. I began using it right away and haven't looked back since.

This is a thin serum, which I would assume is due to it being water as opposed to oil-based. The bottle says to apply with cotton but I use my (clean) fingers. Three drops is all I need to cover my entire face and neck. For reference, my skin is combination and my hope is to reduce my pore size and improve the texture of my skin. For these purposes, this serum works wonderfully! I use this on clean skin, after my Vitamin C/hyaluronic acid serum and before moisturizer (Oil of Olay spf 15). It absorbs right into my skin and leaves it smooth as glass. I've noticed my breakouts are very few and far between and my pores are shrinking daily! I do notice a slight tightening after it sinks in but no irritation whatsoever. This does have a high concentration of AHA's, so easing in gradually is the way to go.

I found this on sale for <$10 and you get a fair amount of product for the price. My only improvement would be to have this in a pump and make the bottle clear, so you know how much product is left. I will continue to purchase this to stave off signs of aging and improve my skin texture and clarity.